CR: COVID-19 --Political Talk

Mrs Whiggins

2 minutes ago, Bullneck said:

In that movie The Big Chill the Jeff Goldblum character says, "Rationalizations are more important than sex.  You can a week without sex.  You can't go a week without a rationalization."

Aspirational. Had the White House continued on its "ride it out" strategy - the death numbers would have been horrific. Texas  - my home state - needs to take it seriously. 

Knocking him off the do nothing strategy and do NOT go for an Easter end date to sheltering in place is going to save 2 million lives and makes him a hero! 

Man, being an entitled white man will never be as good as it is right now for his generation. Allowing him to say this shit and it actually working to get him off the hook is unfucking real.

8 minutes ago, washparkhorn said:

No offense but NY/NJ were far too late in waking the fuck up.

Washington State is the gold standard. California applied Washington standards on a wide scale and it is working (knock on wood). 

None taken. NY/NJ did act too late.  But once again, had we listened to these federal press conferences, we would be looking at twice the amount of cases already.  So we acted earlier than these scientists suggested. Thankfully, WA and CA paid the fed suggestions no mind more quickly than NY and NJ did so they also didn't "need" to watch Saddam's science team give them old information.

So no, we don't need to listen to muzzled scientists up on stage with a guy who was calling it a hoax a month ago, the flu last week, and urging people to still go to work last week.  Furthermore, the feds have been witholding much needed medical equipment from NY/NJ.  And why should NY/NJ sit through a 30 minute campaign attack ad against them anyway?

After this is over, its time to have a break up talk. The nation isn't functional. If my state isn't going to be included in the "us" by our nation's leader, then its time for my state to actually become the "them."  It isn't just tax money being stolen now. People are dying. He can take his "great" economy and shove it up his ass. 

• Like 5

14 minutes ago, washparkhorn said:

Aspirational. Had the White House continued on its "ride it out" strategy - the death numbers would have been horrific. Texas  - my home state - needs to take it seriously. 

yep.  i was a couple pages late on drew's post (and others misinterpreting it) but if that's really how it is in texas right now...

oh no wtf GIF by STARZ

• Like 3

step 1 - lie about unimportant stuff
step 2 - get the press to call you on it
step 3 - criticize the press for focusing on unimportant stuff and picking on him
step 4 - lie about more important stuff
you think this is an accident?

Art of the deal i suppose. That isnt right, someone else wrote the book. How about the art of a wannabe business man turned con artist.

31 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

watching on mute, but let me guess the math here.

trump doing nothing = ~2.2mm deaths.

trump doing something = ~200,000 deaths.

therefore, trump's "action" saved ~2mm lives.

am i close?

I've been telling ,my wife for 2-3 weeks that I think it's very possible that Coronavirus could very well get the president reelected no matter how many people die or what he does about it because of how people react to a crisis. 

3 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

I've been telling ,my wife for 2-3 weeks that I think it's very possible that Coronavirus could very well get the president reelected no matter how many people die or what he does about it because of how people react to a crisis. 

Tell that to Neville Chamberlain. 

3 hours ago, workswithseed said:

Ah, so people on here should be able to say anything, because c'mon were just internet trolls. Also didn't hear anything about his comment on Romney, but it's okay he's a republican. He can die since I don't agree with his policies.

Then you must have just missed it.  He was called divisive and cussed at for his stupid tweet about Romney, just like he should have been.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

ehh, let's see how americans react after another 40-50 days in lockdown watching this asshole on tv every day.

it's been like 7-10 days for much of the country.  the novelty hasn't worn off yet.  when the numbers are into 6 figures, that's when things get real.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

spacer.png

yep.  i was a couple pages late on drew's post (and others misinterpreting it) but if that's really how it is in texas right now...
200.gif

It is. At least in rural areas and smaller cities. Seems like the bigger cities are taking it more seriously according to you guys. Just don’t come near Waco/temple/killeen because it’s the same today as it was 2 weeks ago.

Really wish we’d have more a lock down more seriously.

7 minutes ago, Drew said:

It is. At least in rural areas and smaller cities. Seems like the bigger cities are taking it more seriously according to you guys. Just don’t come near Waco/temple/killeen because it’s the same today as it was 2 weeks ago.

Really wish we’d have more a lock down more seriously.

i feel like a broken record, but i'm in west hollywood and it's freaky quiet out there.  to give you an idea, i'm a 7 iron away from the viper room and the sunset strip, and you can hear a pin drop.  it's been like that for over a week.  i don't know one person here who's working from an office, and most of them started working from home 2 weeks ago yesterday (3/16) and some earlier.  so yeah, it's shocking to hear people aren't taking it seriously.  even people here who aren't taking it seriously are still on lockdown.

the small towns are super fucking fucked when people start getting sick and the big city hospital 30 miles away is at capacity.  i fear we're still 2 weeks from that happening though.

Edited by henrygandorf
  • Like 1

i feel like a broken record, but i'm in west hollywood and it's freaky quiet out there.  to give you an idea, i'm a 7 iron away from the viper room and the sunset strip, and you can hear a pin drop.  it's been like that for over a week.  i don't know one person here who's working from an office, and most of them started working from home 2 weeks ago yesterday (3/16) and some earlier.  so yeah, it's shocking to hear people aren't taking it seriously.  even people here who aren't taking it seriously are still on lockdown.

the small towns are super fucking fucked when people start getting sick and the big city hospital 30 miles away is at capacity.  i fear we're still 2 weeks from that happening though.

I think it’s a combination of not taking is seriously and how there are way more businesses are listed as “essential” than aren’t.

These cities are more labor intensive. Not a lot of industry(especially killeen which is geared to service for the base).

So yeah the clubs and bars(that don’t serve food) and movies are closed. But every restaurant is still open for drive thru/take out/delivery, and every car dealership(there are a ton in this town) car washes, pawn shops, every retail place that’s not in the mall...all open.

I feel like if they actually issued an order that shuts down a lot of these businesses then people would take it more seriously. But since all of us still HAVE to show up for work every day, I can see why the mentality of “it’s not that big a deal” has seeped in.

Profits over people.

2 hours ago, Blotto said:

that fat orange fuck just cant help himself. Wants everyone to congratulate him for not adopting a path of "just riding it out". Yay! Congrats you didnt take the absolute worst possible course of action.....4 more years!

ride it out is to batten down the hatches and stay inside until the coast is clear. ordering everyone to ride it out a month ago would have been better than what was actually done. 

22 minutes ago, Drew said:

I think it’s a combination of not taking is seriously and how there are way more businesses are listed as “essential” than aren’t.

These cities are more labor intensive. Not a lot of industry(especially killeen which is geared to service for the base).

So yeah the clubs and bars(that don’t serve food) and movies are closed. But every restaurant is still open for drive thru/take out/delivery, and every car dealership(there are a ton in this town) car washes, pawn shops, every retail place that’s not in the mall...all open.

I feel like if they actually issued an order that shuts down a lot of these businesses then people would take it more seriously. But since all of us still HAVE to show up for work every day, I can see why the mentality of “it’s not that big a deal” has seeped in.

Profits over people.

There's something to that.  Every lawyer I know has been working from home for the last two weeks.  But just how many decent-sized law firms are there in Temple?

And when you're told you can't go to the office, then that kind of changes your perspective about how dire the situation is. 

But if you're going to work every day and you see a ton of people coming into your place of business, it probably gives you this sense of normality.  And that sense of normality then gives you the feeling that everything is, in fact, normal and you can go about your business as though nothing is going on.

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, DigDug said:

Welcome to your daily reminder that our president is a human sack of shit.

Never misses a chance to be a sack of shit.

Didn't you say that yesterday?  Someone did.  

IT was true then, it's true now.

1 hour ago, henrygandorf said:

ehh, let's see how americans react after another 40-50 days in lockdown watching this asshole on tv every day.

it's been like 7-10 days for much of the country.  the novelty hasn't worn off yet.  when the numbers are into 6 figures, that's when things get real.

Yeah, I don't see much likelihood of the US death toll stopping short of 400K.  That could happen before May.

5 hours ago, burntorangebongos said:

We are saying yes to small pox blankets? Fuuuuuck

Hope they are red and he sells them to his MAGA cult.

2 hours ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

"No mask? Use a scarf." Oh yes, Texans will wear scarves.

retro-style-illustration-of-a-masked-tex

1 hour ago, henrygandorf said:

Once the stories about how horrible a death this is, maybe they'll take notice.  Right now idiots listen to Patrick and figure it's like drinking the KoolAid.     Honestly have to wonder if they relax euthanasia laws for those who can't make it into a hospital.

2 hours ago, henrygandorf said:

oh no wtf GIF by STARZ

A good site to see who's staying in.  https://www.unacast.com/covid19/social-distancing-scoreboard

Like Drew said, its the rural and smaller cities ignoring this.   I think some of them look at this as a big city problem, like rat infestation, will never make it out of the suburbs.

47 minutes ago, Drew said:

Profits over people.

Actually I think a lot of it has to do with the state wanting to avoid paying unemployment any sooner than it has to.    

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

In just over a month, Trump went from no American will die from this... to a few Americans might die from this... to about a quarter of a million Americans are going to die from this and everyone should be thanking me because it’s not a few million.

Try wrapping your head around that fucking shit. 

Well he would have stopped it earlier but Obama got in the way again. That darn Obama.

"We have a pattern in our medical research landscape in which outbreaks lead to a surge in research investment, and if and when those outbreaks wane, as they invariably do, other priorities take their place," Schwartz said. "As a result, you lose those opportunities to capitalize on that initial investment, and the cycle starts over again."

The responsibility to fund this type of research must rest with governments and nonprofits, Schwartz said, because for-profit pharmaceutical companies can't be counted on to fund projects that, in most cases, will never make money."

https://www.nbcnews.com/health/health-care/scientists-were-close-coronavirus-vaccine-years-ago-then-money-dried-n1150091

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

In just over a month, Trump went from no American will die from this... to a few Americans might die from this... to about a quarter of a million Americans are going to die from this and everyone should be thanking me because it’s not a few million.

Try wrapping your head around that fucking shit. 

this is just phase one.

expect the sequel to be in theaters in time for oscar season.

52 minutes ago, Horn Under a Bad Sign said:

Fucking profiteers.

I am very staunchly anti-death penalty, but the executives need to get dragged out in the middle of the street and get shot right between the eyes. Vietnam classic picture style.  Examples need to be made.  

• Like 4