CR: COVID-19 --Political Talk

Mrs Whiggins

19 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

cnn just showed a map of states that still don't have a statewide lockdown order.  wtf.

so many states.  so many red states.  wonder where that confidence comes from.

It's that special blend of ignorance and arrogance that characterizes the modern GOP. 

3 minutes ago, DigglerontheHoof said:

bwahahahahahahahaha.  Yes, red state governors are using 4D chess.

red state governors are only worried about trump, small town voters (where they run up the score) and small business owners who contribute to their campaign. blue cities are not top in their priorities. Of course those blue city hospitals will be the places that save people, and pay for everything.

2 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

It's that special blend of ignorance and arrogance that characterizes the modern GOP. 

See, e.g., all of the GOP orders to continue to allow large church gatherings...

Several members of an Illinois Pentecostal church are either at the hospital or in home quarantine after at least 43 congregants fell ill following a revival service two Sundays ago, and at least 10 of them have tested positive for the new coronavirus.

In a Facebook post Wednesday night, Layna LoCascio, wife of pastor Anthony LoCascio who leads The Life Church of Glenview, said at least 43 of the approximately 80 people who attended a March 15 service at their church have fallen ill and everyone who has been tested for the new coronavirus has come back positive for the virus which has already killed more than 1,470 and infected more than 97,000 people nationwide.

Might as well be calling church services "corona infection parties."  But evangelical Jesus cannot be denied.

14 minutes ago, Snake Diggity said:

I wonder if some of these small town mayors or red state governors secretly are taking the strategy of trying to gain herd immunity and get out ahead of everyone else, knowing that peaking now (rather than in 3+ weeks) means your people can still get treated in big city hospitals if needed.

wow GIF

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

See, e.g., all of the GOP orders to continue to allow large church gatherings...

Might as well be calling church services "corona infection parties."  But evangelical Jesus cannot be denied.

They're just trying to hurry up and die to help get the economy rolling again. 

cnn just updated their tally.  went from 3900 to 4300+.

i'm guessing that today is going to be the first day over 1000 (yesterday was ~850 i think).

a couple days ago, trump (or someone at the presser) said that we could be up to 2000 a day by april 15th.  i think it's gonna be more like april 3rd.

Gee, imagine that.

https://www.ajc.com/news/state--regional-govt--politics/loeffler-reports-more-stock-sales-amid-insider-trading-allegations/YFPDT3pChO873nuzNKa44K/

U.S. Sen. Kelly Loeffler’s most recent financial disclosures show that millions of dollars in stocks were sold on her behalf at the same time Congress was dealing with the impact of the coronavirus.

The largest transactions — and the most politically problematic — involve $18.7 million in sales of Intercontinental Exchange stock in three separate deals dated Feb. 26 and March 11. Loeffler is a former executive with ICE, and her husband, Jeff Sprecher, is the CEO of the company, which owns the New York Stock Exchange among other financial marketplaces.

During the same time period reflected on reports filed late Tuesday, the couple also sold shares in retail stores such as Lululemon and T.J. Maxx and invested in a company that makes COVID-19 protective garments. The Atlanta Journal-Constitution got the first look at these reports, covering mid-February through mid-March and shedding new light on Loeffler’s financial transactions during the pandemic. Previous reports — which have put Loeffler in the national spotlight — covered her trading during the first six weeks of 2020.

loeffler-dash_20200331230325.png

17 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

cnn just updated their tally.  went from 3900 to 4300+.

i'm guessing that today is going to be the first day over 1000 (yesterday was ~850 i think).

a couple days ago, trump (or someone at the presser) said that we could be up to 2000 a day by april 15th.  i think it's gonna be more like april 3rd.

I follow the JHU map; not sure if it's as up to date, but the layout helps me keep an eye on family located in various locations. It's heartbreaking to watch the numbers creep up in states that are behind New York/New Jersey and know that the leaders did little to mitigate exposure. Georgia is looking grim right now. They have around 4000 plus positive and over 125 deaths and testing is lagging. Adjacent to Florida and those type of numbers bodes poorly for them both.

I can picture states that were proactive in shutting things down suddenly becoming overwhelmed again as idiots flee their unsafe unsheltered communities. If Cali and Washington said "No one comes in without an antibody test" I wouldn't bat an eye.

1 hour ago, 4th&Five said:

Sounds familiar 

but also fuck anyone that got on a cruise ship with this going on. 

Reminds me of the Trump supporter who hoarded the entire Dollar Tree stock of toilet paper and paper towels. This is when the Make America Great Again crowd who have spent most of their lives virtue signaling their love of country really flex their super-patriotism muscle and show the rest of the country how you care for your fellow Americans.

lots of viral tweets/ig messages about avoiding the grocery stores today and tomorrow, to allow the snap recipients full access, if their accts recharge on the 1st of the month.  here are more details about that:

https://www.motherjones.com/coronavirus-updates/2020/04/should-you-avoid-the-grocery-store-today-to-help-snap-recipients-its-complicated/

As a new month begins, there’s been messaging circulating online urging people who don’t rely on SNAP to refrain from grocery shopping during the first few days of April, so that people using food stamps have a better chance of stocking up on popular supplies. “If you’re not having a food emergency, please don’t go to the grocery store on April 1st and 2nd. Wait until the 3rd,” read one particularly viral tweet this week. “People who are on food stamps get their accounts recharged on the first of the month, and have likely been running on fumes.”

“Many of them haven’t been able to shop since March 1,” Hugh C. Minor IV, a spokesperson for the Rhode Island Community Food Bank, told the Providence Journal. On Monday, the food bank asked Rhode Island residents to “pause” their grocery shopping on April 1 and 2 for SNAP shoppers. 

It’s a nice sentiment. But as I found out after calling around, this advice only applies to a handful of states that issue SNAP benefits at the beginning of the month. Rhode Island, Nevada, North Dakota, Vermont, Guam, and the US Virgin Islands all disperse SNAP benefits on the first day of each month, as established by the US Department of Agriculture. Most other states—including Florida, California, and Texas—and the District of Columbia have a more staggered schedule so that recipients don’t overwhelm grocery stores on the same day.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

Guillotines.

Too good for the likes of her -- too quick and painless.

I actually don't see any way that this current regime doesn't end in bloodshed.  And I can't make a good moral argument for standing in the way of the mob.  We are being governed by the essence of evil.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, henrygandorf said:

cnn just showed a map of states that still don't have a statewide lockdown order.  wtf.

so many states.  so many red states.  wonder where that confidence comes from.

Repeat what I said elsewhere...

If they wouldn't transmit to the broader population, I wouldn't care and call it karma / Darwinism....

1 hour ago, 4th&Five said:

Sounds familiar 

but also fuck anyone that got on a cruise ship with this going on. 

I am kind of with Florida on this. Why should we take in a cruise ship that was scheduled to go from Buenos Aires to Chile? Neither the port of embarkation, port of debarkation, or country of the flag of convenience are taking them. Those three countries need to man the fuck up and open their ports to them.

We currently have a bigger outbreak than any other country in the world, and a significantly bigger outbreak than Argentina, Chile, or the Bahamas. Either of the 3 currently have excess medical capacity that we don't have.  Argentina can fuck itself on this one in particular.  They should have been the first to take them in. 

That being said, we should take them in anyway, and apply sanctions on Argentina when this is all over for human rights violations. And the Bahamas and cruise lines for skirting US labor law. 

Edited by FondrenRoad
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Too good for the likes of her -- too quick and painless.

I actually don't see any way that this current regime doesn't end in bloodshed.  And I can't make a good moral argument for standing in the way of the mob.  We are being governed by the essence of evil.

Originally, I had seen that her assets were in a blind trust, but they were not.

Also, there's an "innocent" explanation.  Because her hubs owns the NYSE, he is a stock market insider by definition.  The Street ALWAYS trades on information unavailable to the public. 

Wall Street has had its dick in the ass of America forever.  But they usually give us enough of a reach-around to keep things to a dull roar. One of the reasons I liked Warren was that she was one of the few in government who got it, cared, and had the intellect to do something about it.

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Like 4

2 minutes ago, FondrenRoad said:

I am kind of with Florida on this. Why should we take in a cruise ship that was scheduled to go from Buenos Aires to Chile? Neither the port of embarkation, port of debarkation, or country of the flag of convenience are taking them. Those three countries need to man the fuck up and open their ports to them.

We currently have a bigger outbreak than any other country in the world, and a significantly bigger outbreak than Argentina, Chile, or the Bahamas. Either of the 3 currently have excess medical capacity that we don't have.  Argentina can fuck itself on this one in particular.  They should have been the first to take them in. 

That being said, we should take them in anyway, and apply sanctions on Argentina when this is all over for human rights violations. And the Bahamas and cruise lines for skirting US labor law. 

Why in the world would you get on a cruise ship on March 8th?

2 minutes ago, FondrenRoad said:

Pretty much where I am at with this one. The boat was making a South American cruise. Chili, Peru, Argentina already turned them down, so they chart a new course to Florida?  Fuck that shit. There are 300 americans and 1100 foreign nationals on board. We should send out a ferry and disembark the Americans, bring them back to the dock and quarantine them in a hanger for 2 weeks. The rest need to sail right on back to their home country. Or sit off shore until we get our shit under control here and then we take them on. 

3 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

Pretty much where I am at with this one. The boat was making a South American cruise. Chili, Peru, Argentina already turned them down, so they chart a new course to Florida?  Fuck that shit. There are 300 americans and 1100 foreign nationals on board. We should send out a ferry and disembark the Americans, bring them back to the dock and quarantine them in a hanger for 2 weeks. The rest need to sail right on back to their home country. Or sit off shore until we get our shit under control here and then we take them on. 

My question is why in the fuck would you get on a cruise ship anywhere in the world right now?

They are all ignorant.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, DixonHur said:

@Brisketexan what's the social distance policy on the ledge?

Are we going to have to go to a Survivor model or is there still space?

We're getting close to Thunderdome time.  Either I start pushing some of you fuckers off to make room.....or we turn back, head inland, and wreck this fucking murderous regime and everyone participating in it.

Edited by Brisketexan
  • Like 5

9 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

Is the ship American? If not, then remove the American citizens, stick em in quarantine and tell the ship thanks for dropping them off.

3 minutes ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

Is the ship American? If not, then remove the American citizens, stick em in quarantine and tell the ship thanks for dropping them off.

Pretty much zero cruise ships are American even when they are "American."  The Bahamas, and a few other countries, let them violate US labor law while employing Americans and avoid US taxes.  Personally, I think the Bahamas should be handling all of it.  Treating passengers, bailing the companies out, whole thing.

Edited by FondrenRoad
  • Like 1

The only Americans who work for them are in the offices they have in the US.  Almost every crew member on the ships are from 3rd world countries so that they can be paid next to nothing.

Edited by kevwun
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

We're getting close to Thunderdome time.  Either I start pushing some of you fuckers off to make room.....or we turn back, head inland, and wreck this fucking murderous regime and everyone participating in it.

I attempted for a good long while to try and believe that folks would do the right thing. How our leaders and millions of our fellow Americans are acting during this crisis fully shows that the regime and the cultists are beyond help. We absolutely have to rid this country of the damage they have intentionally inflicted upon all of us and it has to start now in whatever capacity we can do it.

1 hour ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Yes, this is outcome of 3+ years of Trump that any Republican knows they have to be careful of angering Trump.  That includes any orders that might have the appearance of a criticism of Trump. Hence why you don't really see any GOP governors suggesting right that the feds are still making mistakes. Of course there are also the reports that GOP governors are getting what they want over Dem governors so the GOP ones are further encouraged to stay in line.

I agree with everything you say, but doesn’t this  really fall on the shoulders of republican voters and their headstrong support.  Staunch support regardless of lies, morally corrupt policies and rhetoric toward any individual or group not feeding his noxious ego, or acceptance  of autocratic behaviors and muddled decision making clearly beyond anything we have witnessed or expected from our President.  

13 minutes ago, FondrenRoad said:

Pretty much zero cruise ships are American even when they are "American."  The Bahamas, and a few other countries, let them violate US labor law while employing Americans and avoid US taxes.  Personally, I think the Bahamas should be handling all of it.  Treating passengers, bailing the companies out, whole thing.

I'd seen some comments referencing some of that when the bailout talk was going on but admittedly tuned it out. Cruises really have zero appeal to me. I've nothing against boats, and love taking a ferry but a lengthy term with strangers on something I can't easily escape sounds like a prison more than a vacation.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, UpperWestside said:

Just finished the now weekly Zoom Bible study my church is doing. I can only imagine what a Zoom ledge meeting would look like!

I’m thinking a whole lot of buttholes, curse words, and man crying  

1 minute ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

I'd seen some comments referencing some of that when the bailout talk was going on but admittedly tuned it out. Cruises really have zero appeal to me. I've nothing against boats, and love taking a ferry but a lengthy term with strangers on something I can't easily escape sounds like a prison more than a vacation.

Yeah, I have never seen the appeal either.  Seems to be like an all inclusive resort for people that are even lazier and more afraid of the locals than people that go to all inclusive resorts. 

Damn, Abbot won't even do that.  He's issued guidelines, and clarified what is essential(Plus closed schools) but hasn't actually issues the full Stay at Home.

I wonder if it's as weak as most of ours with the list of exempted businesses.