CR: COVID-19 --Political Talk

Mrs Whiggins

2 hours ago, henrygandorf said:

i'm watching.  it's hard to look at.

it's insane to me how much easier it would be, and how much better people would react if their primary message was "this is terrible, but here's what we're doing to get the country through this."  but instead, every interview or press briefing is, "we're doing an amazing job, but here are some stories about other people fucking up."

People are buying it. Approval is up. It's about reelection, always has been, always will be. They know the American public will happily gobble up the scapegoating of China despite the fact that China is irrelevant at this point.

35 minutes ago, FondrenRoad said:

Time to head inland. 

Hoist the black flag and slit some throats?

(Which of course led me to look up some Mencken quotes.  Godalmighty he was a cynical bastard.  And prescient.).

Edited by TwiceHorn

1 hour ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

She's up in a special election in November in which her top two challengers will be Collins (Republican Congressman) and Raphael Warnock (Democrat pastor of Ebenezer Baptist Church).  Against those two, it's really hard to see how she makes the runoff.

2 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Oh, when this is all buttoned up, and we've contained the threat (may be a matter of years, by the way).....there needs to be a reckoning for China.  Between 1) continuing to allow wet markets, which have been a starting point for this type of deadly virus TWICE in the past 20 years, 2) not being open and honest with data and information to assist others in preventing and responding to the threat, and 3) being tied up in WAY too many supply chains, including strategic materials like medical PPE and equipment......shit needs to change.

Of course, private enterprise will still seek the lowest cost option that yields the best quarterly report, so without strategic governmental intervention (by multiple governments, in coordinated fashion), nothing will change.

I think you need to ease off with the wet-market cultural superiority.  Wet markets themselves are not uncommon throughout the world.  And though it's not itself a "wet market," if you go to the State Fair, you'll see plenty of people touching the pigs and then going and getting a corny dog without washing their hands.  And swine share so much of our dna that they are the most common source of inter-species viral leap.

The issue with China is the capture and sale of wild animals in the wet markets that may carry somewhat unique pathogens with which we would otherwise never come into contact.  But again--that's also an issue in other parts of the world, too.

Absolutely none of that, however, addresses the misrepresentations and dissembling from the Chinese government over the source and scope of the (then-) epidemic.  And that is something that needs to be discussed going forward.

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, Mo Horn said:

And for today's example of the too little too late category. 

They elected an idiot who thought he would just have to appoint asshole judges and sign legislation allowing minstrel shows. Now he’s actually having to lead, and they’re fucked.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Chuckie Finster said:

I've been fortunate enough to never have to know who the Governor of Mississippi was until now, but he looks exactly as I would have imagined.

Governor Tate Reeves Signs New Executive Order to Slow the Spread ...

Also, I feel like I would have had a decent shot at guessing the name as well. 

Just now, kevwun said:

Ha, of course Tate Reeves was a KA.

Spoiler alert:  The fraternities at Millsaps aren't exactly like the fraternities at the University of Texas.  I'm sure the Kappa Alpha order was top notch at UT, at Millsaps...it apparently churns out light date rapists and science-deniers.  take my chapter for instance.  At Stetson University, Lambda Lambda Lambda consistently produced men of the highest caliber that I still do business with to this day.  

Spoiler alert:  The fraternities at Millsaps aren't exactly like the fraternities at the University of Texas.  I'm sure the Kappa Alpha order was top notch at UT, at Millsaps...it apparently churns out light date rapists and science-deniers.  take my chapter for instance.  At Stetson University, Lambda Lambda Lambda consistently produced men of the highest caliber that I still do business with to this day.  

Stetson to Texas? Strange route you took.

16 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

I think you need to ease off with the wet-market cultural superiority.  Wet markets themselves are not uncommon throughout the world.  And though it's not itself a "wet market," if you go to the State Fair, you'll see plenty of people touching the pigs and then going and getting a corny dog without washing their hands.  And swine share so much of our dna that they are the most common source of inter-species viral leap.

The issue with China is the capture and sale of wild animals in the wet markets that may carry somewhat unique pathogens with which we would otherwise never come into contact.  But again--that's also an issue in other parts of the world, too.

Actually, there are two big issue that makes wet markets different:

1 -- the conditions in which the animals are kept and slaughtered.   Stacked on top of each other to insure cross-contamination (and inter-species mutations and transfers of pathogens), stressed beyond belief so as to make them more susceptible to infection, and slaughtered in a manner that allows for cross-infection with humans.

2 -- bats.  Bats are a particularly dangerous animal when it comes to dangerous pathogens that can make the inter-species jump.  The hypothesis is that bat immune systems are so strong that they actually harbor only the strongest of pathogens, AND, they don't succumb to them -- so they are great carriers.  Bats are the source of Ebola.  The best thinking is that they are the source of MERS, SARS, and COVID-19.  Man needs to stay the fuck away from bats.  All bats.  Always.

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Actually, there are two big issue that makes wet markets different:

1 -- the conditions in which the animals are kept and slaughtered.   Stacked on top of each other to insure cross-contamination (and inter-species mutations and transfers of pathogens), stressed beyond belief so as to make them more susceptible to infection, and slaughtered in a manner that allows for cross-infection with humans.

2 -- bats.  Bats are a particularly dangerous animal when it comes to dangerous pathogens that can make the inter-species jump.  The hypothesis is that bat immune systems are so strong that they actually harbor only the strongest of pathogens, AND, they don't succumb to them -- so they are great carriers.  Bats are the source of Ebola.  The best thinking is that they are the source of MERS, SARS, and COVID-19.  Man needs to stay the fuck away from bats.  All bats.  Always.

No different than doggy kisses. 

15 hours ago, wildcat09 said:

That’s too quick for them.

When this is all finally over, the profiteers and the officials who sat around with their dicks in their hands and allowed this to happen, and those who refused to provide aid to certain states for political reasons, need to be slowly dipped in acid. I’m also open to drawing and quartering, or anything else near that level of gruesome and painful.

I prefer they be forced into enforced servitude to the group they despise most.    Big white supremist.. end up a maid for some person of color, for example.  A little "walk a little in their shoes" would do these assholes a world of good. 

43633.jpg?resize=640,432

6 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

Interesting story about a company in Waxahachie that manufactures a breathing aid which appears to have good clinical value:

Sea-Long

My son and I were talking about the scuba mask conversion (Italy) for a ventilator, using compressed medical oxygen and some sort of timed valve for intake and exhaust.   Probably easy to convert the SCBA masks firefighters use too.  Seems pretty similar to this hood.  People can be pretty ingenious for good causes too now and then.  Nice to see after all the reading about the crooks in the senate doing self serving deals and price gougers.

24 minutes ago, 4th&Five said:

So Abbott is going to be the last one to roll out the SIP?  Worthless asshole.

TornACL beat me to it.

https://thehill.com/homenews/news/490614-analysis-coronavirus-now-third-leading-cause-of-death-in-us

The coronavirus has become the third-highest cause of death in the U.S., according to a doctor's analysis of Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) data.

Maria Danilychev of San Diego charted coronavirus growth throughout the country and found that COVID-19 fatalities had surpassed Alzheimer's, stroke and chronic lung disease with 748 deaths per day and rising, The Sacramento Bee reported Wednesday.

Heart disease is responsible for 1,774 U.S. deaths per day, and cancer causes 1,641 deaths each day, according to the CDC.

CDC data from 2017 showed more than 647,000 people die from heart disease each year while another 599,000 die from cancer. Accidents were the third-leading cause of death at the time, accounting for 169,000 deaths annually.

4 minutes ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

I'm sorry, I was told that this was no worse than the flu.

“So last year 37,000 Americans died from the common Flu. It averages between 27,000 and 70,000 per year. Nothing is shut down, life & the economy go on. At this moment there are 546 confirmed cases of CoronaVirus, with 22 deaths. Think about that!”

Clearly, you are fake news.

• Like 1

Not sure if this was already posted. Again just follow the money on the ridiculous reasoning from this clown. Money means more than health of the congregation. Truly shocking.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/an-evangelical-pastor-who-was-charged-after-holding-in-person-church-services-says-he-doesnt-like-livestreams-because-he-cant-touch-parishioners/ar-BB121Sa3?ocid=spartanntp

Tony Spell, a pastor in Louisiana who became the second religious leader to face charges over continuing church services amid coronavirus shutdowns, says he doesn't like livestreaming because he can't "lay hands" on his parishioners as he can in person.

"I cannot baptize people in a livestream. I can not lay hands on people in a livestream. I cannot pray for people in a livestream, and this is our biblical command - to lay hands on the sick and when they recover baptize them by immersion in water, which we do every day," Spell told Insider. 

Spell, an evangelical pastor at the Life Tabernacle Church in suburban Baton Rouge, Louisiana, was issued six misdemeanor charges of violating the governor's order that bans large gatherings. 

Louisiana's state government has issued a stay-at-home order for residents to help protect against the novel coronavirus, asking people to limit movements outside of their homes other than for essential needs, like grocery shopping, refilling prescriptions, and exercising. Health officials have urged people not to gather and said they should remain 6 feet away from others when going out.

But For the last several weeks, Spell has held in-person services for hundreds of people. Even on Tuesday, hours after his charges were announced, Spell held a service, which he said 300 people attended.

Spell says he plans to continue his in-person services, even after a police chief called it 'reckless and irresponsible.'

While many places of worship have transitioned to live-streamed services to help protect their congregations from the spread of the novel coronavirus, Spell says he still plans to be at the church every Tuesday and Sunday.

Central Police Chief Roger Corcoran, who announced charges against Spell, said in a statement that the pastor's decisions have been "reckless and irresponsible," adding that they "endangered the health of his congregation and our community."

"Instead of showing the strength and resilience of our community during this difficult time, Mr. Spell has chosen to embarrass us for his own self-promotion," he said.

© Google Maps

Spell suggested to Insider that holding church services is no riskier than allowing people to shop for groceries or go to a gas station. 

"I'm more worried about not living and worshipping like a free man than I am living in fear of the virus," he said.

When asked about the possibility of one of his parishioners coming down with COVID-19, Spell said he would respond with prayer, and hoped his parishioners would respond in the same way if he tested positive for the virus.

Spell is the second pastor to be charged after continuing church services.

Police in Florida announced on Monday that Pastor Ronald Howard-Browne had been arrested after officials said he "intentionally and repeatedly disregarded state and local public health orders." 

Howard-Browne, pastor of The River at Tampa Bay Church, held two large services over the weekend and had been encouraging his congregation to meet in person, according to My FOX 8. He's facing charges of unlawful assembly and violation of public health emergency rules.

Meanwhile, in Texas, pastors are calling for places of worship to be considered exemptions to stay-at-home orders, according to Vox.

Three pastors and Steve Hotze, and anti-LGBT activist and doctor, filed a petition in Texas saying the stay-at-home order violates the "religious liberty" of those who want to gather for church services.

Edited by UpperWestside

1 minute ago, UpperWestside said:

I'm waiting for a third party infected by a church member who got it in the petri dish of church to sue the pastor (individually), the church entity, and the sick parishioner, for negligence, gross negligence, and battery.

Holding mass gatherings in light of a legal order not too is a slam-dunk on liability.

In fact, anyone acting in defiance of such an order and holding mass gatherings that cause spreading infection should face such claims.

• Like 1

Absolutely nothing will happen to profiteers or even the industries that enabled them. Democratic Primary voters have made sure of that.

Nurse quits because she was told she couldn't wear her own N95 mask while her co-workers had no masks at all.

Thank god for lean management and JTI supply chains!!!!!!!!!!!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Bloomberg report about a new US intelligence report that China (& others) have mislead the international community about the spread of COVID from the start:  https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-04-01/china-concealed-extent-of-virus-outbreak-u-s-intelligence-says?srnd=premium

"...according to three U.S. officials.

The officials asked not to be identified because the report is secret..."

Fuck all news originating from unnamed US officials.  I am sure China fucked up.  I'm also sure fake news is passed off by the WH via unnamed sources who wish to remain anonymous.  There is no way to ascertain how much of this shit is one vs the other, so this type of reporting is part of the mass disinformation problem.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

After grabbing a Fletcher's, my first stop every year is the stock barn to see all the hopeful kids brushing their prized show bats.

• Haha 2

In a March 16 report, epidemiologists at the University of Texas at Austin join with a team of scientists France, China and Hong Kong to study over 450 cases of COVID-19 spread across 53 cities in China. Of those, they found that as many as 10 percent were caused by presymptomatic individuals. Lauren Ancel Meyers, PhD, an integrative biology professor at UT Austin and one of the study’s authors suggested the findings were troubling, revealing a potentially “elusive” virus.

“The data suggest that this coronavirus may spread like the flu,” Ancel said in a press release from UT Austin. “That means we need to move quickly and aggressively to curb the emerging threat.“ Ancel said the study highlighted the need for government officials to maintain quarantines and shelter-in-place orders.

“This provides evidence that extensive control measures including isolation, quarantine, school closures, travel restrictions and cancellation of mass gatherings may be warranted,” Meyers said. “Asymptomatic transmission definitely makes containment more difficult.”

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

Absolutely nothing will happen to profiteers or even the industries that enabled them. Democratic Primary voters have made sure of that.

Nurse quits because she was told she couldn't wear her own N95 mask while her co-workers had no masks at all.

Thank god for lean management and JTI supply chains!!!!!!!!!!!

Do you mean "JIT?" And who exactly is touting the value of Lean/JIT in the political arena? I know that many American businesses have attempted a transformation to Lean, but I can't point to a single one that actually succeeded over the long haul. Even companies that made serious inroads all regressed back to typical western management practices.

5 minutes ago, ndawg said:

I know that many American businesses have attempted a transformation to Lean, but I can't point to a single one that actually succeeded over the long haul. Even companies that made serious inroads all regressed back to typical western management practices.

That's an incredibly broad statement there. 

5 minutes ago, ndawg said:

Do you mean "JIT?" And who exactly is touting the value of Lean/JIT in the political arena? I know that many American businesses have attempted a transformation to Lean, but I can't point to a single one that actually succeeded over the long haul. Even companies that made serious inroads all regressed back to typical western management practices.

Yes, I meant JIT.

I don't know what you mean by "in the political arena", but lean management/JIT supply chains are huge in the private health industry in the endless pursuit of profit.