CR: COVID-19 --Political Talk

Mrs Whiggins

8 minutes ago, BrickHorn said:

That’s not specific. Those are just vague statements. The first one is just fucking laughable. If we believed China that our own soldiers were the source, we’re idiots.  If we based our own policy on that easily disproven and ultimately irrelevant lie, then we’re dangerously incompetent.  

As to the other issues, anyone who followed this thread knew in late January that (a) the naive CFR in Wuhan was above 2% and (b) China was locking everything down, knowing it would tank their economy.  And EVERYONE assumed openly that China was understating the true extent of its epidemic.

If the President of the United States had worse intel than Surly, then we have serious problems as a nation.  The real truth is: Trump was given far better insight into the real scope of the outbreak in China than anyone else had.  He just ignored it, or didn’t understand it, or some combination of the two.

Well said, but let's not downplay the knowledge and power of Surly. On a side note, weren't we putting together a superpac? Surly 2020!

Edited by Irwin F Fletcher

2 minutes ago, BrickHorn said:

The real truth is: Trump was given far better insight into the real scope of the outbreak in China than anyone else had.  He just ignored it, or didn’t understand it, or some combination of the two.

It's an undeniable truth.

But the worshipers of the Golden Idol only want to distract and evade.  They cannot and will not even address that rock-solid truth.  He had all the info he needed.  He had it from US sources.  And he fucking blew it.

For the fucking record, I, as a manager at my law firm (with access to only the PUBLICLY AVAILABLE information), began taking serious action to prepare our business for what was coming before the fucking President started taking serious action.  He either ignored or didn't understand the clear warnings presented to him.  Those are your fucking choices, sycophants.  You can talk about HOW he failed, but the question of WHETHER he failed has been answered and chiseled into stone.

20 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Cool, cool.

What about the clear reports from US INTELLIGENCE AGENCIES as to the nature and urgency of the threat?  Trump ignored those too.

Seriously, good work discrediting China, the WHO, the illuminati, whoever else you want to set up as a distraction.  Let's assume that none of those even exist, they are so unworthy of our attention.  What about the fucking warnings FROM OUR OWN INTEL AGENCIES?  I guess everyone on earth who is "not Donald J. Trump" just can't be trusted.

I think you should go back and read my post history. My post you responded to should not translate to "Trump is absolved from this shitshow and he doesn't have the blood of over 5000 Americans and counting on his hands."

There is a lot of blame to go around for all of this shit. I think it's helpful to be aware that because of Trump's cavalier attitude towards the international community, the world has been further destabilized. Thanks dotard!

EDIT: typed it out wrong the first time

Edited by UDontKnow

The failure to prepare and be prepared with material support is massive on multiple levels, but the inability to comprehend and accept basic measures in a timely manner to immediately reduce spread, like social distancing/SIP, is particularly unforgivable.  January was China, but on March 3rd, Italy already had 2.5K cases with 500-1000 new cases per day.  Yet even one week ago today, March 26th, Trump was still waxing about beautiful filled pews on Easter and messaging that the threat was not severe and would soon be over.  

A basic coordinated message at the national level during the first week of March about the reality of the threat and proven success of social distancing/SIP would have resulted in exponential reduction of the morbidity and mortality we're now getting because of Trump's failure.  DeSantis and Kemp are peak enablers of Trump's market worshipping  death cult.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, BrickHorn said:

If the President of the United States had worse intel than Surly, then we have serious problems as a nation.  The real truth is: Trump was given far better insight into the real scope of the outbreak in China than anyone else had.  He just ignored it, or didn’t understand it, or some combination of the two.

He and his little friends profited from it. Whether he understood it or his close circle did, they are culpable.

9 minutes ago, Don Johnson said:

I would expect MS and AL to have higher death rates due to higher obesity and smoking but not an overwhelming number of cases compared to the rest of the country. 

Perhaps not an overwhelming number of cases due to the rural aspect, but the extremely poor healthcare access and food deserts are going to amplify the cases. Not to mention, when it comes down to it, the poor minority citizens will be sent home to convalesce at a higher rate than wealthier non minority citizens. You can count on that. Not at every healthcare facility, but there will be plenty that ration care that will based less on need of services and more on other demographics.

Ah, so people on here should be able to say anything, because c'mon were just internet trolls. Also didn't hear anything about his comment on Romney, but it's okay he's a republican. He can die since I don't agree with his policies.

Lots of us made multiple posts calling Trump a despicable asshole for the snarky comments he made about Romney.

Your comment above illustrates perfectly your “team over country” mindset - you assume we’re cool with the president being an asshole if his target is a Republican.

No, we think he’s an asshole regardless of the party affiliations of his targets.

If you like, I can go back and link all the condemnations made on this board that were posted in regards to the Romney comments.
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, triplehorn said:

The failure to prepare and be prepared with material support is massive on multiple levels, but the inability to comprehend and accept basic measures in a timely manner to immediately reduce spread, like social distancing/SIP, is particularly unforgivable.  January was China, but on March 3rd, Italy already had 2.5K cases with 500-1000 new cases per day.  Yet even one week ago today, March 26th, Trump was still waxing about beautiful filled pews on Easter and messaging that the threat was not severe and would soon be over.  

A basic coordinated message at the national level during the first week of March about the reality of the threat and proven success of social distancing/SIP would have resulted in exponential reduction of the morbidity and mortality we're now getting because of Trump's failure.  DeSantis and Kemp are peak enablers of Trump's market worshipping  death cult.

It should also be noted that we were one of the last major countries to receive this virus, due to our relative geographic isolation.  We had way more time than most to prepare and see it coming.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Bullneck said:

What?

Destablized. My bad. That's what I meant.

Trump has threatened to defund the UN and NATO since he got into office. The WHO is under the UN. His attitude and approach allowed Chinese influence to grow with WHO which has harmed the international community. The Ethiopian guy is a Chinese crony.

And once again, it's still on Trump for what is happening in America because of Coronavirus.

2 minutes ago, Bama Chick said:

Lots of us made multiple posts calling Trump a despicable asshole for the snarky comments he made about Romney.

Your comment above illustrates perfectly your “team over country” mindset - you assume we’re cool with the president being an asshole if his target is a Republican.

No, we think he’s an asshole regardless of the party affiliations of his targets.

If you like, I can go back and link all the condemnations made on this board that were posted in regards to the Romney comments.

Nah, I just didn't see them. I believe y'all when you say you y'all condemn him.

5 minutes ago, 4th&Five said:

I could easily see that backfiring.  Lots of people stressing about jobs and shit, it will be easy to steer that anger towards dems.  You can already see some of that messaging (politicizing a crisis) being used against Biden.  

7 minutes ago, triplehorn said:

DeSantis and Kemp are peak enablers of Trump's market worshipping  death cult.

This is the fundamentally fucking chilling thing about what we're dealing with.  The fucking Party of Trump is a goddamned death cult.  Their goddamned evil "evangelical" false-idol worshipers -- who want to be able to hold mass gatherings in spite of the clear and present danger they present as fountains spewing infection into the greater community -- well, they don't just want the right to "die for their faith."  Nope.  They want to be able to make YOU die for their faith.

I called this a murderous regime above, and that is all I will ever call it from now on.  They know that their greed, cruelty, and idiocy is killing and will continue to kill people.  And they continue their course.  This is a murderous regime, wrapped up in a death cult.

They must be removed.  Many of them should be imprisoned.  We the people damned well better demand our reckoning.

• Like 1

As an aside, I think Im starting to see what cabin fever is like.  The way Julia Chatterley on CNN sits angled to present her good side is really starting to bug the shit out of me.  SQUARE UP TO THE CAMERA LIKE NORMAL TV PEOPLE.

5 minutes ago, TXSG8R said:

As an aside, I think Im starting to see what cabin fever is like.  The way Julia Chatterley on CNN sits angled to present her good side is really starting to bug the shit out of me.  SQUARE UP TO THE CAMERA LIKE NORMAL TV PEOPLE.

I hear you. My husband was watching Ferris Bueller's Day Off and I was walking through the room, the large crowd dance scene was playing. First thought in my head was, "SOCIAL DISTANCING YOU CRETINS!" and then I shook my head. How amazing is it that we can socialize ourselves to new norms?

Anyway, when I get bsc I go out and pull weeds or clean something and take out my aggression on things instead of people. Take care of yourself.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/28985036/patriots-plane-bringing-12-million-masks-united-states

This is what it has to come to ladies and gentlemen. Using the New England Patriots plane (probably to cheat the system...surprise, surprise!) to bring N95 masks from China, of all fucking places. I hope the media reads this one aloud during the next Trump press conference.

13 minutes ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

I hear you. My husband was watching Ferris Bueller's Day Off and I was walking through the room, the large crowd dance scene was playing. First thought in my head was, "SOCIAL DISTANCING YOU CRETINS!" and then I shook my head. How amazing is it that we can socialize ourselves to new norms?

Anyway, when I get bsc I go out and pull weeds or clean something and take out my aggression on things instead of people. Take care of yourself.

What does BSC stand for? I obviously understand the meaning from context, I'm just not familiar with that acronym.

https://acronyms.thefreedictionary.com/BSC

8 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

for anyone trying to put this on china - trump knew enough to start restricting travel, from china, in january. he talks about it every day. he bought us time. then did nothing for 6 weeks. 

is that part china’s fault too?

China's quarantine was all over every station including Fox. We knew shit was serious.  The fact is that Fox can show a military enforced quarantine zone in another country while calling the virus a Democratic hoax to attack Trump and half of America believes that shit.  It goes to show us that we don't really deserve to survive this as a country. 

I'm surprised Fox still even shows official infected numbers. They can really write their own script. They moved past misrepresentation to open lies a long time ago. 

Edited by FondrenRoad
  • Like 6

1 hour ago, Bateshorn said:

There were runs on Masks, Purell, and Gloves by mid february.  The fucking citizenry was taking it seriously.  Blaming WHO and China is just another form of what-aboutism. 

. . . and it's glaringly obvious this is the latest attempt at a head fake promulgated by FOX, Rush, etc.  Doesn't anyone on the right think for themselves?  

Don't answer that.

This timeline is like a fast and furious movie, it's so absurd that you can't help but laugh. A week ago it was important for Surl threads to be labeled CHinEse virus!1!, while our reality show commander in chief was trying to money whip Germans into developing a vaccine for us 

Edited by Doc Sam Beckett
Cholas 4 life
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, ndawg said:

I mean, I hate to say it, because I like to think the best of everybody (excluding the truly lost souls on the far right), but I think that's what his stance boils down to.

To whatever extent there's lean production still being done in the medical industry, I'd bet money it's only increasing the industry's ability to adapt to the crisis. Mass production -- where the Rust Belt still seems stuck in -- is absolutely shitty at adaptation by comparison.

I'm pretty far left, and even I don't see how anyone could not have an appreciation for the industrial advances of the last 80 years -- and a lot of stems precisely from how the US tooled up for WW2, which is fascinating because we're facing a somewhat similar crisis now. To suggest we erase all that advancement because some hospitals appear to be doing stupid shit seems short sighted.

It's obvious to anyone paying attention that we win this shit by getting people to take responsibility and fucking cooperate. What everyone who has practiced and studied management knows is just how hard that is to pull off in an organization of any real size. It bothers me greatly that in our political climate, the GOP brand themselves as the "capitalists," but they fucking suck at actual management.

Anyways, I'm way off tangent here. Social distancing and the overall stress is taking a toll, and I'm finding it hard to withstand the impulse to start barking about everything that's wrong with the world. I wish there were good managers in government right now.

Nah, man, it's bad_teammate.  Yknow, when you're a hammer, everything looks like a nail.

But things that are efficient do save money and probably cost jobs at some level, so I guess there's some downside there.  Interesting dichotomy.

8 minutes ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

Fuck you. You keep bringing this up and people keep showing you why it's a dumb talking point. 

Not true at all.  It's pretty much inarguable that this proposal is meant to shovel money at high income households in blue states.  Even the uber-lib NYT recognizes this plain fact.  Pelosi and Schumer are failing nearly as hard as the other side in addressing this crisis.  

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/30/business/economy/coronavirus-economic-stimulus-taxes.html

In the GOP Blame Game Bingo, how many spaces should there be?

IMPEACHMENT

CHINA

WHO

DEMOCRATS HOAX NOT A HOAX

NANCY 'RIP IT TO SHREDS' PELOSI

DEMOCRATIC GOVERNORS

OBAMA

CDC BECAUSE OBAMA

CDC BECAUSE BIDEN

FDA (SEE ABOVE)

EMAILS

ANYONE BUT PUTIN

CARAVANS

HOMELESS

LIBERAL ELITES WHO ARE SOMEHOW HOARDING MEDICAL EQUIPMENT IN THEIR ONE BEDROOM APTS.

EPIDEMIOLOGISTS WITH 30 YEARS EXPERIENCE WHO DON'T KNOW WHAT THEY'RE TALKING ABOUT

THE TRICKY VIRUS BEING CONTAGIOUS WHEN YOU CANNOT SEE IT

That's 17 so I probably need one more. What did I leave out?

1 hour ago, UDontKnow said:

China has not been honest since Mao assumed power in 1949.

As for the WHO:

The WHO Director couldn't do well for his own country either: https://qz.com/africa/986672/dr-tedros-adhanom-ghebreyesus-the-top-candidate-to-lead-the-world-health-organization-is-being-accused-of-covering-deadly-outbreaks-of-cholera-in-ethiopia/

Without going full-conspiracy, the PRoC has been quietly trying to increase its influence in the UN and associated agencies, that would include, for example, WHO and WIPO.  The US and western nations recently mobilized behind the scenes to prevent a Chinaman from becoming Director of WIPO.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/global-opinions/putting-china-in-charge-of-the-worlds-intellectual-property-is-a-bad-idea/2020/01/30/51c1b688-43a6-11ea-aa6a-083d01b3ed18_story.html

9 minutes ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

In the GOP Blame Game Bingo, how many spaces should there be?

IMPEACHMENT

CHINA

WHO

DEMOCRATS HOAX NOT A HOAX

NANCY 'RIP IT TO SHREDS' PELOSI

DEMOCRATIC GOVERNORS

OBAMA

CDC BECAUSE OBAMA

CDC BECAUSE BIDEN

FDA (SEE ABOVE)

EMAILS

ANYONE BUT PUTIN

CARAVANS

HOMELESS

LIBERAL ELITES WHO ARE SOMEHOW HOARDING MEDICAL EQUIPMENT IN THEIR ONE BEDROOM APTS.

EPIDEMIOLOGISTS WITH 30 YEARS EXPERIENCE WHO DON'T KNOW WHAT THEY'RE TALKING ABOUT

THE TRICKY VIRUS BEING CONTAGIOUS WHEN YOU CANNOT SEE IT

That's 17 so I probably need one more. What did I leave out?

How about: WE DIDN'T KNOW UNTIL YESTERDAY IT COULD BE SPREAD BY PEOPLE WITHOUT SYMPTOMS  ?

Listen, it's not Brian Kemp's fault that no one knew that the coronavirus wasn't spread by bad night air until yesterday.  It's only been a couple of weeks since doctors finally proved conclusively that bleeding sick people doesn't help.

This timeline is like a fast and furious movie, it's so absurd that you can't help but laugh. A week ago it was important for Surl threads to be labeled CHinEse virus!1!, while our reality show commander in chief was trying to money whip Germans into developing a vaccine for us 

Sounds more like a surly coaching search thread.

1 minute ago, kevwun said:

Listen, it's not Brian Kemp's fault that no one knew that the coronavirus wasn't spread by bad night air until yesterday.  It's only been a couple of weeks since doctors finally proved conclusively that bleeding sick people doesn't help.

it's funny that the kemp story came out today.  we've been doing facetime/zoom with my sister's family in atlanta, but i hadn't spoken to my bil one-on-one on the phone until last night.  and he was like, "yeah, we've been on lockdown, but definitely parts of town are not taking it seriously, because, you know, we've still got morons in charge in this state."

sad when you just think, "let's wait and see what the governor says, then do the opposite, and we should be safe."

2 hours ago, Fozzz said:

The China derangement syndrome has been fun to watch unfold, particularly in the DT thread.  These people can't seem to deal with the fact that the US' response to the pandemic has been a world class embarrassment and thus need to channel that humiliation into scapegoating China. 

There is just as much cognitive dissonance over current events and American exceptionalism as there is over current events and Trump being the best president ever.

5 minutes ago, Dirk X West said:

How about: WE DIDN'T KNOW UNTIL YESTERDAY IT COULD BE SPREAD BY PEOPLE WITHOUT SYMPTOMS  ?

Add Dr. Fauci to that list.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/01/politics/anthony-fauci-security-detail/index.html

Watching Ingram opening statement and they are blaming him for the President's poor decisions on the economy. Instead of saying, guess what folks we did not prepare and Germany is already doing what we should be doing but we can't because we wasted a ton of time trying to downplay this virus. Years ago I watched Fox more often to balance out CNN but now they are all ideologues with zero integrity. The folks with a little bit of objectivity have all been pushed out. Joe married Mika and he is now preaching. Just no objective hosts anywhere anymore.

I think the 2022 Georgia gov/LG ticket of Kemp/Theodoric of York is an absolute can't miss.  

The look on the face of his head of public health was not terribly inspiring either.  I get that it's not possible to know all the minutia about Covid-19 in a scientific sense and virology is a constantly evolving field even in a slow year...but shouldn't they have known that all these years people have been passing flus to one another even without symptoms?  Even Trump knew asymptomatic people could pass it.  Jesus, wait until this guy finds out you can get an STD from someone who looks "perfectly healthy"

1 hour ago, jw4381 said:

Uhhhh...the president isn't keenly aware of anything, except when he feels the urge to take a shit, maybe.

I think he's keenly aware of the magnificence of Ivanka's manufactured tits.

"Look at these magnificent tits.  Glorious.  They don't have tits like this in China.  Only in America will you see tits like this, and that's a good thing, am I right?"

Edited by Goredho
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, Goredho said:

There is just as much cognitive dissonance over current events and American exceptionalism as there is over current events and Trump being the best president ever.

Absolutely, but rubes dont/wont see it.  

You should give Trump credit for shutting down travel from China early / preventing this from being 2 million deaths!

You cant blame Trump for this because no one saw it coming / China lied about it / WHO downplayed it! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BrickHorn said:

The real truth is: Trump was given far better insight into the real scope of the outbreak in China than anyone else had.  He just ignored it, or didn’t understand it, or some combination of the two.

I think Trump's problem was that he treated a virus like any other impediment that has gotten in his way in the past.  He thought he could instantly make it go away with money.  Unfortunately, pandemics don't work that way.

When he was a real estate developer, he bribed his way out of problems.  "This isn't up to code, Donald."  A fat stack of cash made that problem go away.

When he was running for president, he paid to shut down any scandals.  "Having sex with a porn star may come back to haunt you, Donald."  Hush money to Stormy made that problem go away (temporarily).

The list goes on and on with Trump making problems instantly disappear with money (or any number of other nefarious ways).  He thought the same thing would happen with COVID-19.

On January 24, he tweeted, "It will all work out well."

On February 27, he said, "“It’s going to disappear. One day — it’s like a miracle — it will disappear.”

That's how he looks at problems.  Throw money at it and it will be gone.  He thinks there's a silver bullet for everything.  He thought scientists could cook up a vaccine in a week.  He wanted to buy a German company because he thought they found a miracle cure.  He's been hyping this combination of drugs that he thinks cures COVID-19.

This is the mindset of somebody who has never worked for anything in his life.  Trump has been handed everything on a silver platter.  He thinks great things just automatically happen by osmosis.  He doesn't appreciate the hard work and preparation and time it takes to accomplish goals.  He should have been preparing for this in January, but he thought Xi would take care of it.  Then when it becomes a problem, he makes up lies and excuses for why he didn't do anything sooner.  Now here we are in April and the problem is getting worse. 

But don't worry.  Trump will be fine.  He's doing what he does best - insulate himself and make money off the deal.  Even if he's voted out in November, he'll take his fair share of the stimulus slush fund.  And he'll still be a hero to 32% of the country.

• Like 7