CR: COVID-19 --Political Talk

Mrs Whiggins

My God, the corruption and incompetence. I just don't see how the numbers will be in the 100K to 250K range with these leaders. Damn it, we deserve better than this and yet maybe not since we brought ourselves to this by allowing the corruption and deregulation to go unchecked. We didn't even curb any of what brought us here much less stop it. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Mo Horn said:

Because everything else seems to be going along swimmingly, let's add this to the pile. 

Every time I see a tweet from Rebecca Ballhaus I think of busty German nude model Bettie Ballhaus and I wonder why she's commenting on political issues. 

2 minutes ago, burntorangebongos said:

My God, the corruption and incompetence. I just don't see how the numbers will be in the 100K to 250K range with these leaders. Damn it, we deserve better than this and yet maybe not since we brought ourselves to this by allowing the corruption and deregulation to go unchecked. We didn't even curb any of what brought us here much less stop it. 

just judging from the trajectory, we'll be at 100k while still on the way up.  a week from now we'll be missing the days when only 1000 died.

that's not ideal.

Trump absolutely mismanaged this epidemic from the start and he should face some sort of reckoning for it.

He won't.

Because the cult will be distracted by this...
With that said, China should be held by far even more accountable as their direct lies and obfuscation all throughout the initial rise of CV 19 (and their continued lies re: deaths, infections etc) are what brought this to our shores.
Global agencies like WHO that are way up China's ass are to blame as well as they delayed labeling this an pandemic and also downplayed it's deadliness.
I hope our economic cold and potential high unemployment absolutely turns around and goat fucks China's economy and I hope coming out of this we invest in manufacturing capability (even if subsidized) and take China's lying POS government down.

Not trying to insinuate that you're part of the cult. Your point is valid, but I've already witnessed it being used as a pivot away from holding Trump accountable.

Shit starting to get real in Florida today - 209 deaths so far today.  That's 209 of 310 total, which seems suspicious. 

* DISREGARD - LOOKS TO BE BAD DATA ENTRY ON WORLDOMETERS.  STATE WEBSITES ONLY SHOW 128.

Edited by Gap03

2 minutes ago, Gap03 said:

Shit starting to get real in Florida today - 209 deaths so far today.  That's 209 of 310 total, which seems suspicious. 

something is up today with the reporting.  cnn had 5100 a min ago, now it's 5300.  worldometers is almost at 5800.  i regularly monitor both, and they're never this far from each other.

2 hours ago, Don Johnson said:

Florida and Georgia probably but states like Alabama and Mississippi don’t have dense populations at all. No big cities. Have almost zero public transportation. Not much international travel. Not much tourism. 

Even if they didn’t lock down until later, they at least knew about it well in advance. Even the most stubborn of folks have been washing their hands a lot more and avoiding handshakes etc since roughly March 10.  Simple awareness makes a big difference and it’s a benefit that NY, NJ, LA, WA didn’t have. 

I would expect MS and AL to have higher death rates due to higher obesity and smoking but not an overwhelming number of cases compared to the rest of the country. 

They also have borderline 3rd world healthcare systems.

3 minutes ago, tchookem said:

He won't.

Because the cult will be distracted by this...

Not trying to insinuate that you're part of the cult. Your point is valid, but I've already witnessed it being used as a pivot away from holding Trump accountable.

Definitely not part of the cult. I think Trump's handling is criminal. People are dying unnecessarily due to his downplaying this issue. I also think China sucks and should be held accountable as well. It is a total failure across the board.

“I’m hearing widespread stories from physicians across the country and they are all saying: ‘We have these stories that we think are important to get out, but we are being told by our hospital systems that we are not allowed to speak to the press, and if we do so there will be extreme consequences,” she said.

"Many say they get daily emails urging them not to talk to the media under any circumstances. “The public needs to hear these stories and other physicians need to hear them to be warned against what’s coming,” Mehta said. “It’s so important that everyone understands how bad this is going to get.”

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-03-31/hospitals-tell-doctors-they-ll-be-fired-if-they-talk-to-press

I’m a day behind in this thread but can confirm this is true.

I had one doc call me last night at almost midnight obliquely asking how one “does the whistleblower thing”.

I’m exhausted and we’re just beginning to see the start of the surge here.

It’s going to be nightmarish within 10-14 days.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/01/us/politics/hannity-limbaugh-trump-coronavirus.html#click=https://t.co/tNu9d93m44

Alarm, Denial, Blame: The Pro-Trump Media’s Coronavirus Distortion

Sean Hannity, Rush Limbaugh and other right-wing commentators turned a pandemic into a battle of us vs. them — the kind of battle President Trump has waged for much of his

Just now, Bama Chick said:

I’m a day behind in this thread but can confirm this is true.

I had one doc call me last night at almost midnight obliquely asking how one “does the whistleblower thing”.

I’m exhausted and we’re just beginning to see the start of the surge here.

It’s going to be nightmarish within 10-14 days.

if i call in a really big favor, i think i can get schiff's cell phone number for you.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

did anyone see anderson cooper's interview just now with the widow?

i missed the beginning so i don't know the whole story, but i heard her say something like, "well he was military, and his commander-in-chief wasn't taking this seriously, so..."

ouch.

Sadly, this is going to be more and more common as people's loved-ones die.

In our grief, we need someone to be angry at.  For a whole lot of people, that "someone" is going to be Donald Trump.

1 hour ago, Dirk X West said:

How about: WE DIDN'T KNOW UNTIL YESTERDAY IT COULD BE SPREAD BY PEOPLE WITHOUT SYMPTOMS  ?

1 hour ago, DanTheHorn said:

Add Dr. Fauci to that list.

I’m adding the first, but am placing Dr Fauci on the EPIDEMIOLOGISTS WHO DON’T KNOW WHAT THEY ARE TALKING ABOUT square. 

If this was GOP BLAME Scrabble I would have triple bonus points for the GOP Rep who manages to somehow come up with the Double Blame of:

HUNTER BIDEN BEING IN CHINA 

Don’t think they haven’t considered that one, they’re just waiting for the right moment. 

4 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

If you voted for Trump then you have blood on your hands. 

100% true - and not only true for those who voted for Trump, but also those who continued to vote for or support any Republicans for an office at any level after Trump took office, or do so going forward.  

6 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

Sadly, this is going to be more and more common as people's loved-ones die.

In our grief, we need someone to be angry at.  For a whole lot of people, that "someone" is going to be Donald Trump.

Not enough.

It's long past time for pitchforks, torches, and guillotines.  Instead, we are governed by a murderous regime that's enabled by a mindless cult that believes everything that the regime tells them.  This ends with a lot of dead people -- and that process is well under way.

We are going to lose more people than we've lost in any war since WWII.  And their deaths are on the murderous regime's hands.

Edited by Brisketexan

21 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

something is up today with the reporting.  cnn had 5100 a min ago, now it's 5300.  worldometers is almost at 5800.  i regularly monitor both, and they're never this far from each other.

ok, worldometers just updated down to 5600.  good news, for now.

2 hours ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

In the GOP Blame Game Bingo, how many spaces should there be?

IMPEACHMENT

CHINA

WHO

DEMOCRATS HOAX NOT A HOAX

NANCY 'RIP IT TO SHREDS' PELOSI

DEMOCRATIC GOVERNORS

OBAMA

CDC BECAUSE OBAMA

CDC BECAUSE BIDEN

FDA (SEE ABOVE)

EMAILS

ANYONE BUT PUTIN

CARAVANS

HOMELESS

LIBERAL ELITES WHO ARE SOMEHOW HOARDING MEDICAL EQUIPMENT IN THEIR ONE BEDROOM APTS.

EPIDEMIOLOGISTS WITH 30 YEARS EXPERIENCE WHO DON'T KNOW WHAT THEY'RE TALKING ABOUT

THE TRICKY VIRUS BEING CONTAGIOUS WHEN YOU CANNOT SEE IT

That's 17 so I probably need one more. What did I leave out?

MS-13

AOC

Iran

7 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

nsiap (it's a couple days old)

70 ut spring breakers chartered a plane, 44 infected.  some took commercial flights home.

https://www.pennlive.com/coronavirus/2020/04/university-of-texas-spring-breakers-return-home-with-coronavirus-report.html

If I'm being honest, I would have still gone on Spring Break when I was18 or 19 too.  

At that age we all suffer a little Dunning-Kruger.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, DixonHur said:

If I'm being honest, I would have still gone on Spring Break when I was18 or 19 too.  

At that age we all suffer a little Dunning-Kruger.

I know sxsw had already been canceled, but someone remind me what was the message from our state and federal leaders before they left to go?

I'm honestly a little too lazy to go back and put together the timeline.

4 minutes ago, 4th&Five said:

so blame their dumb fucking parents.

Although, to be fair, as a parent, coronavirus is way down on the list of things I'd worry about with my kid headed off to Spring Break... especially if said Spring Break were in Mexico.

1 hour ago, DanTheHorn said:

Add Dr. Fauci to that list.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/01/politics/anthony-fauci-security-detail/index.html

Watching Ingram opening statement and they are blaming him for the President's poor decisions on the economy. Instead of saying, guess what folks we did not prepare and Germany is already doing what we should be doing but we can't because we wasted a ton of time trying to downplay this virus. Years ago I watched Fox more often to balance out CNN but now they are all ideologues with zero integrity. The folks with a little bit of objectivity have all been pushed out. Joe married Mika and he is now preaching. Just no objective hosts anywhere anymore.

55 Days of downplaying COVID in American on Fox News.  March 13th is when they started to pivot.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, washparkhorn said:

Did anyone catch one of the President's prescriptions for the economy? Reinstitute the deductibility of the three-martini lunch. I am not shitting you. He is this out of touch. 

Fuck him. His "fixes" are only about his own businesses.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, TexLonghorn said:

Whoever had April 2nd as the day we cross 1 million confirmed cases worldwide (officially, anyway).... Congrats - you win!

And essentially a quarter of them here in the U.S., but the current administration is doing a great job. 

14 minutes ago, ShaggyBevo RIP said:

55 Days of downplaying COVID in American on Fox News.  March 13th is when they started to pivot.

Thx, this kind of answered my previous question.  The Texas students flew out on the 14th.

I think it's safe to say, and draw a known parallel from, what fox news reports to what the president says and tweets, then the trickle down to our state officials and what they say.

I think it's also safe to say if the president hadn't come out a month earlier completely discarding the risks, then repeatedly minimizing the risks, that a lot of those families probably wouldn't have allowed those students go on that trip and then subsequently spread the virus.

Edited by SameSame
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, 4th&Five said:

so blame their dumb fucking parents.

So, one of the kids on that trip is my wife's best friend's daughter.  The daughter is quarantined to her room right now and they won't let her go anywhere else in the house.  When I asked my wife if she said something to her friend she said her friend did not want her daughter to go but apparently the Dad was OK with it.

13 minutes ago, washparkhorn said:

Did anyone catch one of the President's prescriptions for the economy? Reinstitute the deductibility of the three-martini lunch. I am not shitting you. He is this out of touch. 

Maybe we should wait until people are actually allowed to go to restaurants again before we decide that allowing Trump to fake business dinners is the solution for saving them.  Not that I don't believe Trump hosted business lunches at Trump properties in 3 different states every single day of 2012.

17 minutes ago, washparkhorn said:

Are business meals and entertainment not tax deductible?  I'm confused on what he is referring to. 

3 minutes ago, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

So, one of the kids on that trip is my wife's best friend's daughter.  The daughter is quarantined to her room right now and they won't let her go anywhere else in the house.  When I asked my wife if she said something to her friend she said her friend did not want her daughter to go but apparently the Dad was OK with it.

talk about blowing it, dad.  you had a legitimate way to keep your daughter from spending a full week in pound town and passed it up.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, SuingToGetAMessageBoard? said:

talk about blowing it, dad.  you had a legitimate way to keep your daughter from spending a full week in pound town and passed it up.

Probably lucky if Covid is the only thing she brought back.

3 minutes ago, Tuco said:

Are business meals and entertainment not tax deductible?  I'm confused on what he is referring to. 

I think this is like the time on the Office when Michael gave the lunch bill from Hooters to Angela for deduction and her Toby wouldn't accept it then Michael hated Toby even more.

It's got something to do with Hooters.

10 minutes ago, Tuco said:

The days of steaks and strippers then a golf game is a hollow shell of the past with the TCJA.

https://www.thetaxadviser.com/issues/2020/jan/business-meal-expense-deduction-tcja.html

The fat greasy types are still pissed about it. 

*The lingerie shows at lunch were surreal. 

Edited by washparkhorn
  • Like 1

Thanks for the answers on tax deduct for food/entertainment. 

Some good news on antibody testing, which will be critical for getting back to normal.  Mayo is looking to get some tests out next week. 

Also state that they could use plasma (and therefore antibodies) to help treat those who are ill. 

Mayo