CR: COVID-19 --Political Talk

Mrs Whiggins

26 minutes ago, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

So, one of the kids on that trip is my wife's best friend's daughter.  The daughter is quarantined to her room right now and they won't let her go anywhere else in the house.  When I asked my wife if she said something to her friend she said her friend did not want her daughter to go but apparently the Dad was OK with it.

Didn't the company also refuse to give refunds or credits for future trips?

2 minutes ago, Tuco said:

Thanks for the answers on tax deduct for food/entertainment. 

Some good news on antibody testing, which will be critical for getting back to normal.  Mayo is looking to get some tests out next week. 

Also state that they could use plasma (and therefore antibodies) to help treat those who are ill. 

Mayo

Question on antibody tests...

I keep hearing that antibody tests will let everyone who tests positive go back to work with no risk.

Isn't this making a rather massive assumption that having had Covid-19 and fought it off guarantees future immunity?  My (limited) understanding is that this isn't necessarily the case and that immunity, if it exists at all, may be temporary?

4 minutes ago, TexArcher said:

I keep hearing that antibody tests will let everyone who tests positive go back to work with no risk.

Isn't this making a rather massive assumption that having had Covid-19 and fought it off guarantees future immunity?  My (limited) understanding is that this isn't necessarily the case and that immunity, if it exists at all, may be temporary?

I think thats the path Germany is taking, once you are positive they give you a certificate to go back.  I echo the same concern, I keep reading about multiple strains, or at least mutations of the original strain.  Are we that certain that antibodies for one will cover all strains this season?  Or is this just a calculated risk to get people back to work?

2 minutes ago, TexArcher said:

"Antibody levels do not always correlate to immunity"; at least that is what this article states. Take it for what it's worth. It's complicated because of a variety of factors. Immune systems, testing, etc. https://www.forbes.com/sites/brucelee/2020/03/15/can-you-get-infected-by-coronavirus-twice-how-does-covid-19-immunity-work/#70dd41bf5c0f

On a more straight forward note, can someone ask if these tiny minded governors from red states talk amongst themselves? Trying not to anger the church goers at Easter?

3 minutes ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

"Antibody levels do not always correlate to immunity"; at least that is what this article states. Take it for what it's worth. It's complicated because of a variety of factors. Immune systems, testing, etc. https://www.forbes.com/sites/brucelee/2020/03/15/can-you-get-infected-by-coronavirus-twice-how-does-covid-19-immunity-work/#70dd41bf5c0f

On a more straight forward note, can someone ask if these tiny minded governors from red states talk amongst themselves? Trying not to anger the church goers at Easter?

leave synagogues out of this.  we don't give a fuck about easter.

6 months until the repentance starts.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TXSG8R said:

I think thats the path Germany is taking, once you are positive they give you a certificate to go back.  I echo the same concern, I keep reading about multiple strains, or at least mutations of the original strain.  Are we that certain that antibodies for one will cover all strains this season?  Or is this just a calculated risk to get people back to work?

This is my biggest concern. They don't know how a 30 year old couple can both get it, and one develops sniffles while the other lands on a ventilator. 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, washparkhorn said:

Just leaving this marker here on the COVID unemployment - 

spacer.png

Through 3/28/2020

https://fred.stlouisfed.org/graph/?g=qBkI

as a reminder, the march employment numbers on friday won't look good, but they'll be better than actuality.  the numbers are based on survey data for either the week or the pay period containing the 12th of the month.  which was before the huge layoffs started happening. 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, SameSame said:

Thx, this kind of answered my previous question.  The Texas students flew out on the 14th.

I think it's safe to say, and draw a known parallel from, what fox news reports to what the president says and tweets, then the trickle down to our state officials and what they say.

I think it's also safe to say if the president hadn't come out a month earlier completely discarding the risks, then repeatedly minimizing the risks, that a lot of those families probably wouldn't have allowed those students go on that trip and then subsequently spread the virus.

I know who the guy in that "get over yourself" video is, but if the governor doesn't lock down the state, who does?   It starts with intelligent leadership from the top. 

34 minutes ago, TexArcher said:

I think it's definitely a huge question, but, we are proper-fucked if there isn't at least some short term acquired immunity to this.  You almost have to assume that there is, because I don't know what the alternative is.  We can't shelter-in-place for years. So, I think you establish the test, get a decent population out there with it, and then track the rate of re-infection of and severity of it.  

• Like 1

Rush Limbaugh, who received the Presidential Medal of Freedom from Trump and spent much of last month claiming that coronavirus was no different from the common cold, offered a similar argument today. “It’s admittedly speculation,” he claimed, but “what if we are recording a bunch of deaths to coronavirus which really should not be chalked up to coronavirus?” He continued: “People die on this planet every day from a wide variety of things. But because the coronavirus is out there, got everybody paranoid, governments are eager, almost, to chalk up as many deaths to coronavirus as they can because then it furthers the policies they have put in place by virtue of their models.”

6 minutes ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

They said it was going to be a tough month, but this is just enraging:

We need video of patients on ventilators struggling and patients who need ventilators drowning in their own fluids to bring this horror into focus. I do not know what form variuos Americans' rage will look like, but it could get pretty fucking nasty. And it should. I can't imagine fancy tap dancing about the ebil WHO and the Chinese is going to get the government leadership off the hook when people have their family members and friends stacked in refrigerator trucks outside the over-crowded ICUs around the country.

Trump will likely have to issue a shelter in place after the crisis passes just to try to keep the mobs out of the streets. After he's ousted, the shitstain will have to shelter in place himself to avoid peltings of excrement and rotten fruit.

If Trump's successor grants a universal pardon to Trump, that successor should have to serve the time himself. No escape from justice and, frankly, vengeance over so many dead.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

We need video of patients on ventilators struggling and patients who need ventilators drowning in their own fluids to bring this horror into focus. I do not know what form variuos Americans' rage will look like, but it could get pretty fucking nasty. And it should. I can't imagine fancy tap dancing about the ebil WHO and the Chinese is going to get the government leadership off the hook when people have their family members and friends stacked in refrigerator trucks outside the over-crowded ICUs around the country.

Trump will likely have to issue a shelter in place after the crisis passes just to try to keep the mobs out of the streets. After he's ousted, the shitstain will have to shelter in place himself to avoid peltings of excrement and rotten fruit.

If Trump's successor grants a universal pardon to Trump, that successor should have to serve the time himself. No escape from justice and, frankly, vengeance over so many dead.

If I were to be so unfortunate as to end up on a ventilator or to be hospitalized and need one, I would be happy to forgo patient privacy to be vlogged but therein lies the rub: your family is not present when you die, nor when you are fighting to breathe, nor when you are lying there hoping someone you love will hear your final goodbye. The staff are risking their jobs and their lives as it is, this would take a monumental group effort to get the crises images and stories out and we, the people, would need to back them up every single time. Otherwise, Rush and his minions will simply shout over the pleas and drive his Hummer over the corpses so we can get back to work.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

We need video of patients on ventilators struggling and patients who need ventilators drowning in their own fluids to bring this horror into focus. I do not know what form variuos Americans' rage will look like, but it could get pretty fucking nasty

Similar to a DNR, I'd be happy to sign a release allowing media to film me as I struggle while dying.  My family might not like it, but too bad.  Show the world what it looks like.  If I'm going out, let me do some good.  I'll be sedated and intubated anyway (unless I'm stashed in a parking lot of a McDonald's somewhere because I'm a 56 year old asthmatic, in which case, film me anyway, just let me hold up a sign saying "Fuck Trump" as I go out).

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

If I were to be so unfortunate as to end up on a ventilator or to be hospitalized and need one, I would be happy to forgo patient privacy to be vlogged but therein lies the rub: your family is not present when you die, nor when you are fighting to breathe, nor when you are lying there hoping someone you love will hear your final goodbye. The staff are risking their jobs and their lives as it is, this would take a monumental group effort to get the crises images and stories out and we, the people, would need to back them up every single time. Otherwise, Rush and his minions will simply shout over the pleas and drive his Hummer over the corpses so we can get back to work.

You're right. I also can't really blame the media too much for not finding a way to gain access to the ICUs since their infection zones and protective gear is so precious. The New York doctor did us all a big favor last week when she took time to give us a taste. I hope someone else can do the same again. It's ironic that the deplorable disaster comes with an invisibility shield to protect the culpable.

1 hour ago, Tuco said:

Thanks for the answers on tax deduct for food/entertainment. 

Some good news on antibody testing, which will be critical for getting back to normal.  Mayo is looking to get some tests out next week. 

Also state that they could use plasma (and therefore antibodies) to help treat those who are ill. 

Mayo

Given the lack of testing, how are they going to identify people who had the virus and recovered?

Just now, Continental Op said:

Somebody on the DT thread:  "This shit is getting way too venomous.  I'm out!" 

Somebody else:   "YEAH IT'S THOSE CR PEOPLE MAKING IT BAD!!!" 

They're a soft hearted crew famed for caring about the sad plight of sick children (that aren't brown), the inhumanely caged (that aren't brown), and the plight of their fellow citizens (whose dark lives don't matter as much as their dark brains think they should).

• Like 2

Texas anti-vaxxers fear the vaccine more than the Covid-19 itself.

If they fast-track some vaccine for coronavirus, how are all of us going to defend ourselves?” she asked. “I’ll let them vaccinate my daughter over my dead body.”  

Other members of the group, Tarrant County Crunchy Mamas, chimed in. 

“Hide in the floors like they hid the Jews from the Nazis,” one suggested. “Hide them in our gun safe (yes, it’s a big safe and yes, we love our guns),” said another. 

https://www.texasmonthly.com/news/texas-anti-vaxxers-fear-mandatory-coronavirus-vaccines/

23 minutes ago, Jive Turkey said:

This is going to be like saying that Sandy Hook was a hoax.  You know who that really pisses off?  Sandy Hook parents.

There are going to be millions and millions of people who are related to COVID-19 victims.  A lot of them are going to be independents.  Is the GOP's play to tell these people that they're crisis actors?

It's a bold strategy, Cotton . . . .

17 minutes ago, Continental Op said:

Somebody on the DT thread:  "This shit is getting way too venomous.  I'm out!" 

Somebody else:   "YEAH IT'S THOSE CR PEOPLE MAKING IT BAD!!!" 

As one of the "CR people" who crashed their thread and ruined it . . . I posted some simple calculations with absolutely no political commentary whatsoever.  Boy, they didn't like that.

11 minutes ago, Horn Under a Bad Sign said:

Texas anti-vaxxers fear the vaccine more than the Covid-19 itself.

Other members of the group, Tarrant County Crunchy Mamas, chimed in. 

“Hide in the floors like they hid the Jews from the Nazis,” one suggested. “Hide them in our gun safe (yes, it’s a big safe and yes, we love our guns),” said another. 

https://www.texasmonthly.com/news/texas-anti-vaxxers-fear-mandatory-coronavirus-vaccines/

First, what is a Crunchy Mama? Is that like when my children were small and I was ready to sell them so I could finally get a shower?

Second, I think locking anti-vaxxers in gun safes is an excellent prophylactic.

• Like 1

Basically what I envision is my grandfather gasping for every last breath and finally dying  of heart failure from emphysema.  I remember when he was dying the image that came to my mind that was most relatable was of a fish on land gasping for oxygen.  

It's so very, very sad to me that so many that did NOT need to die will do so, home, isolated, and gasping like a dying fish.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mo Horn said:

Was just looking at numbers and saw that Louisiana has passed Florida. Thank you Mardi Gras. Florida is a few weeks behind and will pass them again once all the beach goers start showing symptoms. 

If it is anything like the cellphone data video that was posted on an earlier page, those folks didn't stay in Florida necessarily. So, coming to a town somewhere in America....

8 minutes ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

Some of the states, like Mississippi, are so low on testing anyone, I'm wondering if they are even testing after someone has passed away.

Fox News (Laura Ingram) is saying that people that are COVID-19 positive should not really be counted as COVID-19 deaths if they died of their underlying condition (Yesterday's show). So if I am made weak by COVID-19 and my condition is given a chance to win out then don't count it since it makes Trump look bad.

Edited by DanTheHorn

3 minutes ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

Some of the states, like Mississippi, are so low on testing anyone, I'm wondering if they are even testing after someone has passed away.

Don't see how tests are going to be spent on the deceased when they're not available for the symptomatic.  It's unconscionable, but this is a very real scenario that could lead to gross underreporting of mortality. 

So when someone like Rush is floating the idea that numbers of deaths are being exaggerated, that should set off a trip wire per the Trump related axiom "every accusation is a confession".

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, DanTheHorn said:

Fox News (Laura Ingram) is saying that people that are COVID-19 positive should not really be counted as COVID-19 deaths if they died of their underlying condition (Yesterday's show). So if I am made weak by COVID-19 and my condition is given a chance to win out then don't count it since it makes Trump look bad.

She is really one of the top 5-10 people in the country who deserve public torture by all the best medieval devices

• Like 1

Mnuchin is such a puss.  "We've literally had people working until 4 AM".

Well, la de da.  No American worker, from farmer to manufacturer to engineer to lawyer to the DOCTORS WHO ARE TRYING TO KEEP PEOPLE ALIVE have ever worked until 4 AM.

God I hate these people.  If you ever in your life accepted a position working for Donald Trump, I hate you.

• Like 2

So new Republican talking points:

The US inability to respond adequately is due to:

1.  It's all a conspiracy, people aren't dying.

2.  It's the WHO's fault.  Fire that person.

3.  It's China's fault.  They should not have hid this from us