CR: COVID-19 --Political Talk

Mrs Whiggins

1 hour ago, Incredulity said:

Only in areas where Congress has legislated or the Constitution provides.  

I am of the general opinion that Congress overlegislates in a lot of areas, improperly extending the scope of preemption.

This, however, is not one of those areas.  This is an area in which the federal government is compelled to act, but to act on behalf and in concert with the states and the people.

Edited by TwiceHorn

Just now, TwiceHorn said:

Only in areas where Congress has legislated or the Constitution provides.  

I am of the general opinion that Congress overlegislates in a lot of areas, improperly extending the scope of preemption.

This, however, is not one of those areas.

Again, my post was not a defense of Kushner.  It was a response to the claim that states and feds are not separate distinct entities.  They absolutely are and, as you note, often at odds.

1 minute ago, Incredulity said:

Again, my post was not a defense of Kushner.  It was a response to the claim that states and feds are not separate distinct entities.  They absolutely are and, as you note, often at odds.

I wasn't contradicting you, really just expanding on the nature of it.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

They'll be gone soon.

Morrison has been gone since October, but hes still carrying Trump's water.  He wrote an article with a semantic defense of Trump's firing of the pandemic response team.  Even with his worry about a pandemic from back then, hes now on board the blame China train, saying it cost us months of response time.  Such glaring cognitive dissonance.  

Morrison then - A pandemic is really my biggest fear, we should be prepared.

Morrison now - China wasnt honest about their emerging pandemic, so we werent prepared.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TXSG8R said:

Thats an even better idea, give the olds isolated shopping time so they arent getting outrushed to the TP and bread.  I know some other countries did that, but I didnt know anyone was doing that in the states.  

Where my oldest is (Pasadena, CA), they've been doing that at various stores. It may depend upon the manager/owner. Cali's method (telling seniors to severely curtail socially) plus shelter/shutdown early may end up helping but not restricting travel may end up hurting them anyway.

8 minutes ago, TXSG8R said:

Morrison has been gone since October, but hes still carrying Trump's water.  He wrote an article with a semantic defense of Trump's firing of the pandemic response team.  Even with his worry about a pandemic from back then, hes now on board the blame China train, saying it cost us months of response time.  Such glaring cognitive dissonance.  

Morrison then - A pandemic is really my biggest fear, we should be prepared.

Morrison now - China wasnt honest about their emerging pandemic, so we werent prepared.  

I got a weird vibe from him during the Inquiry/testimony so that makes sense.

10 minutes ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

Where my oldest is (Pasadena, CA), they've been doing that at various stores. It may depend upon the manager/owner. Cali's method (telling seniors to severely curtail socially) plus shelter/shutdown early may end up helping but not restricting travel may end up hurting them anyway.

I got a weird vibe from him during the Inquiry/testimony so that makes sense.

He works for a conservative think tank now, so he didnt move too far from Trump's butt.  

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Incredulity said:

Jesus Christ, dude.  Read between the lines.  Pedant much?

10 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Jesus Christ, dude.  Read between the lines.  Pedant much?

Forget it, Jimmy.

Some people look to split hairs so they can retroactively claim they were on the right side of things, after the dust settles.  

Just now, henrygandorf said:

trump claims that news of this pandemic came from nowhere.

it's becoming clear that predictions of this pandemic were coming from everywhere.

I’m starting to suspect that this Trump guy isn’t always completely honest. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, BrickHorn said:

I’m starting to suspect that this Trump guy isn’t always completely honest. 

He strikes me as a guy who lacks the curiosity to perform in a job that requires a wide array of dire responsibilities and empathetic concern. 

9 minutes ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

And I'm starting to suspect that Azar is almost hoping he gets fired at this point.

I am gathering that we would be much better off if Azar had been in charge.  That's not a very high bar, but he seems marginally competent, at least.

5 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

I am gathering that we would be much better off if Azar had been in charge.  That's not a very high bar, but he seems marginally competent, at least.

Azar is one of the few current Trump cabinet members who is qualified for his job.  Not that it means anything.  Trump trampled all over former cabinet members who were qualified as well and forcibly retired them.  If you aren't openly hostile to the department you run as well as incompetent, you aren't going to be in Trump's cabinet for long.  Azar actually gives a shit about the mission of Health and Human Services.  That's a no-no.

16 minutes ago, FondrenRoad said:

We rationed gas nationwide in the 70s based on odd/even license plate numbers.  Its possible to do restrictions like what you suggest.  At least it used to be.  We are actually at a point in our culture where we are at peak selfishness.  Even during the red scare, we were more of a society than we are now.  Now we are mostly just a bunch of individual assholes looking out only for number one.  A good 70% of Americans don't even understand what the common good is or that it can be beneficial to the individual as well.

This.  A thousand times this.

And it is proving to be our complete undoing.  By worshiping a culture of "we all stand alone," then we have made sure that we will die alone, and right soon.  We have built a culture on the premise of denying the very essence of what we are -- social, communal beings.  We are hard-wired to be in community, and to act with some common interest.  Instead, we built a cult of the individual, at the expense of all else.  And it's a death cult.

7 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

There's a zero percent anyone who voted for Trump has the requisite historical knowledge to get that.

I dunno, Eric Trump seems like he's bizarrely into Steam Punk.  

3 hours ago, TXSG8R said:

Just spoke to my mom in Germany.  My cousin doctor in Bamberg finally got her test results, shes negative so shes going back to work.  Cant touch patients for another week though.  She said the Bamberg region has ~250ish cases, only 6 in ICU.  The German military is actually flying in Italian patients due to their ICU availability (German wide, not just Bamberg obviously), which is pretty ballsy IMO.  

I was thinking about it this morning, I'm really surprised that we haven't instituted some kind of system that limits how and when people can move based on simple stuff like addresses.  We do similar during droughts, these numbers water Mon and Wed, these numbers are Tue and Thur.  Why cant we implement that kind of stuff for going to stores?  You would limit the exposure between areas and keep clusters more contained.  Check DLs or water bills at the door.  

We could. Other countries already do it for limited supplies like facemasks (South Korea  - they're also providing care packages for people who have to quarantine upon arriving). Our government doesn't have time for things like that when it's peak grifting season.

Edited by AngryDragon

limbaugh has hard on for fauci today, pretty much calling him a quack without calling him a quack. keeps harping all the 'models' are horribly wrong and the media is over hyping this whole deal. fauci and others at work against trump over hydrochlorothiazide treatments - media and deep state don't want to give him credit for all the lives he's saved and/or going to save 

Edited by tx 3 putt

Right now the single most dangerous thing in our country is our President's desperation to avoid at any costs using his power and trying to take control and clean up his mess.  Instead all focus is political posturing and reciting meaningless raw numbers against a population of 330,000,000. 

The fact of the matter is that while Trump completely and totally shit the bed in the past, he has been eating triple portions of Cheese Enchiladas and shitting the bed today, yesterday, and will shit it again tomorrow.

Right now the National Guard and Corps of Engineers should already be moving to the next hotspots and building hospitals.  We are just now beginning to federally trying to control supply chains.  Why? Because doing the right thing earlier would have made the administration "responsible" for results. This is what happens when you have a President who have been told over and over and over that he is so wonderful and responsible for all that is good in the world.  A president who NEVER IN HIS LIFE HAS TAKEN RESPONSIBILITY FOR HIS ACTIONS, simply wants to avoid responsibility at all costs now.

Because it's better in Trump's mind to somehow believe that he can avoid responsibility, by failing to take action responsibly. Instead you are seeing a political strategy of blaming others for all, and taking responsibility for nothing. So today is just another day of the Trump administration shitting the bed.  There is no need to look back, Trump is taking another giant cheese enchilada dump in the bed right now... and jared, Ivanka, and Mike all just told him his shit smells like roses.... The dumb fucks even ordered too fucking few body bags. There is almost nothing they can do correctly in an anticipatory manner.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

limbaugh has hard on for fauci today, pretty much calling him a quack without calling him a quack. keeps harping all the 'models' are horribly wrong and the media is over hyping this whole deal. fauci and others at work against trump over hydrochlorothiazide treatments - media and deep state don't want to give him credit for all the lives he's saved and/or going to save 

Wait--is it overhyped or is Trump saving a lot of lives?

Because if it's hype, then lives aren't at risk.

If Trump is saving a bunch of lives, then it is a very real--i.e., non-overhyped--threat.

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

1 minute ago, Ghost of LL said:

If Trump is saving a bunch of lives, then it is a very real--i.e., non-overhyped--threat.

media conspiracy to bring down trump !

Edited by tx 3 putt

now: "France reports 5,233 new cases of coronavirus and 1,120 additional deaths, including 532 people who died in nursing homes and were previously not counted"

The uncounted nursing home deaths is something we've been hearing about in Italy as well.  We also know a lot of people have simply died at home in Italy, but no idea on death counts there.  I get the feeling a whole lot of Americans will succumb to this at home, in rural SE areas in particular, especially during the time all available hospitals are overrun.  People will relegate themselves to survival on their own terms and it may or may not ever be adequately quantified.

14 days ago, the US was at 5k new cases per day, yet we're already at 1k deaths per day today.  And today we're at about 30k new cases per day.  So two weeks from now can only be substantially more grim.

Edited by triplehorn
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Ghost of LL said:

Well that's just too much for their little brains to handle.

2 hours ago, JFKFC said:

Tim Morrison... Timmmmm Morrison....

Now where did I see that name before....

spacer.png

Oh yeah!  He was part of last seasons’ run up to the cliffhanger ending when the house impeached Trump over Ukraine.

The writers are pretty genius. Tying impeachment characters to this seasons plot line. I can’t wait to see how this virus business ends!

And having Joe Biden get behind... then come back like that on the democratic side. Double Wow! I mean you knew he wasn’t Going to lose after they spend So much time with the Ukraine storyline last season. 

And also the fact that the disease started in China was a perfect way to tie in the tariff deal, etc. It’s so layered!

• Like 3

This fucking story...(and I'm even leaving out the heart breaking shit in my lowlights.) 

Two days after the woman's positive confirmation, the ship's crew dropped off several sick passengers at Tenerife in the Canary Islands, off the coast of Western Africa. Then the ship began to quarantine passengers in their rooms, they told CNN, as it roamed the waters searching for a place to dock. Spain and Antigua had already rejected it.
The Canary Islands allowed the ship to unload several travelers with breathing problems on condition that no one else left the ship during that stop.
"As a precaution, all guests were fitted with medical masks and gloves by onboard medical staff before receiving approval from French authorities to disembark and proceed to Marseille Provence Airport for departure to the US," Carnival Corp., which owns Costa Cruises, said in a statement.
France granted it permission to dock in Marseille on March 19. The cruise line notified Americans and Canadians that it had planned a charter airplane to take them to Atlanta.
While the flight was in midair, the results of some American passengers who'd been tested in Marseille came back. Three had tested positive for coronavirus and 13 others had symptoms, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention told CNN.
Over 350 people who'd been in the confined space of a cruise ship continued with their journey in the even more confined space of a transatlantic flight.
During the nearly 10-hour flight to Atlanta, passengers coughed constantly. Some elderly people passed out while others appeared feverish, said Jenny Harrell Catron, 51, a former medic and a passenger on the flight.
At that point, Sheehan had not been tested.
"I set up a triage on the plane separating those with fevers from the rest of the passengers," Harrell Catron said. "Passengers passed the time by making sure that their seatmates were conscious and breathing."
The flight landed in Atlanta in the wee hours of March 20 ....Passenger Martha Turner Bradbury said she'd read about cruise ship passengers undergoing rigorous health checks and two weeks quarantine at military bases nationwide. She was prepared for it...Instead, Bradbury said, the Costa Luminosa passengers landed in Atlanta to a chaotic scene with no clear guidance and preparation.
At the cargo area where the plane landed, passengers were met by health officials in hazmat suits, Bradbury said. They got a temperature check and a visual assessment, along with paperwork asking whether someone had a cough, a sore throat or other ailments associated with coronavirus, she said.
Those with signs of possible illness were taken into a separate room while those with no symptoms headed to customs, and were later put in buses that dropped them off near a terminal, Bradbury said. From there, they were all told to go in and get their bags.
"We're thinking someone is going to be meeting us ... nope. You just walk in and you're in the terminal with everybody else. We were shocked," Bradbury said.
Several passengers told CNN they were allowed to wander around inside the airport, including at least one person who was symptomatic.
"We were covered with virus from head to toe. We should not have been in the airport," said Harrell Catron.
Some went to their respective gates for their commercial flights home, others headed to restaurants to eat and others went to restrooms. Others even took rideshares to other parts of Atlanta.
"It was great that they got us there. But to not have any plan or protocol in place is crazy," Bradbury said.
From Atlanta, Bradbury hopped on a flight to Minneapolis, then another one to Winnipeg, Canada, where she's in self-isolation as she awaits test results.
Phoenix-area residents Kelea Nevis and her husband, Jim Nevis, were briefly held after his fever registered over 100 degrees, she said. Officials gave her husband a Chick-fil-A sandwich, and retook his temperature after a wait, she told CNN. It had dropped to around 99 degrees, so they were cleared to take a commercial flight home. "His temperature was 102.5 when we landed," Kelea Nevis said.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

it's a nothingburger until trump claims he saved lives by slow playing his response.  much like it came out of nowhere but he knew it was a pandemic before anyone else.  it's like schrodinger's cat but the observation never causes the collapse into reality. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Michael Knight said:

allowing the Kush to go in front of the public might be Trumps biggest fuck up to date

Isn’t this like the 5Th or 6th guy leading whatever this ckusterdick of a response is?

Seriously. 
He just keeps throwing shit at the wall hoping something sticks or that we forget about the virus and concentrate on the fact that we’re now covered in shit.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Michael Knight said:

allowing the Kush to go in front of the public might be Trumps biggest fuck up to date

Nah. While it isn't helping his case, his administration's failure to continue funding of pandemic preparedness and response programs is arguably his biggest fuck up of all. At the end of the day, that falls squarely on him and his administration (not Obama, not anyone else) and people are slowly starting to figure it out, if they haven't already.

Trump missed a golden chance to repair his image by not applauding the Navy captain's intentions:

https://www.defenseone.com/threats/2020/04/aircraft-carrier-captain-fired-poor-judgement-over-coronavirus-letter/164336/

An hour after Modly spoke, President Trump was asked at his own early-evening press conference whether the skipper was being punished for trying to help his sailors. “No, I don’t think so at all,” Trump said. “I don’t agree with that at all. Not at all, Not even a little bit.”

3 minutes ago, UDontKnow said:

Nah. While it isn't helping his case, his administration's failure to continue funding of pandemic preparedness and response programs is arguably his biggest fuck up of all. At the end of the day, that falls squarely on him and his administration (not Obama, not anyone else) and people are slowly starting to figure it out, if they haven't already.

i meant more of a political fuck up rather than just his normal disastrous fuck ups. I'd gather the Jared personally lost Trump 4 pts in the polls

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

Much like Trump's claim that the Mueller Report "totally exonerated" him AND was "total bullshit", in the conservaverse mutually exclusive dual alternate realities exist comfortably side by side like magic.

3 minutes ago, Michael Knight said:

i meant more of a political fuck up rather than just his normal disastrous fuck ups. I'd gather the Jared personally lost Trump 4 pts in the polls

Good point. I guess we'll find out today if that is true or not if Jared Kush-man is at the press conference today. When I saw clips of him speaking yesterday, I thought to myself, "This guy has a more punchable face than Mark Zuckerberg." No anti-semitism.