CR: COVID-19 --Political Talk

Mrs Whiggins

Trump missed a golden chance to repair his image by not applauding the Navy captain's intentions:
https://www.defenseone.com/threats/2020/04/aircraft-carrier-captain-fired-poor-judgement-over-coronavirus-letter/164336/
An hour after Modly spoke, President Trump was asked at his own early-evening press conference whether the skipper was being punished for trying to help his sailors. “No, I don’t think so at all,” Trump said. “I don’t agree with that at all. Not at all, Not even a little bit.”

Remember when Trump let a murderous sociopathic SEAL off the hook then denigrated his prosecutors? That’s the kind of guy Trump wants in the military. Guys who care about the sailors they’re responsible for? Not so much.
  • Like 3

NSIAP because it needs to be circulated: 

I hope more groups, like this one in Washington, spring up to sue the shit out of Fox News. Take them for every dime they have.

https://timesofsandiego.com/business/2020/04/02/washington-state-group-is-1st-to-sue-fox-news-for-calling-coronavirus-a-hoax/

The 10-page complaint — filed Thursday in King County — also names as defendants Fox News Corp., owner Rupert Murdoch, AT&T TV and COMCAST.

It seeks an injunction to prohibit the conservative-leaning outlet from “interfering with reasonable and necessary measures to contain the virus by publishing further false and deceptive content.”

Reacting in a statement, Lily Fu Claffee, general counsel for FOX News Media, told Times of San Diego: “Wrong on the facts, frivolous on the law. We will defend vigorously and seek sanctions as appropriate.”

"Wrong on the facts." LOL! Seek sanctions? WTF is she talking about?

12 minutes ago, UDontKnow said:

Trump missed a golden chance to repair his image by not applauding the Navy captain's intentions:

https://www.defenseone.com/threats/2020/04/aircraft-carrier-captain-fired-poor-judgement-over-coronavirus-letter/164336/

He has missed plenty of chances to not only save his image, but also unify Americans.  This isn't even in the top 10.

Number 1

Reporter: What do you have to say to Americans who are scared?

Trump: I say that you're a terrible reporter.

A softball is a lot harder to hit than that question. It was served up on a tee and the fences were moved to 5 feet from the plate. Trump swang and missed hard. 

Calling Trump a narcissistic sociopath is an insult to narcissistic sociopaths.  Sociopaths understand that they are supposed to care about how other people feel even if they really don't care.  He can't even fake empathy. He actually has no clue what it is at all.  

I wonder how he reacted when his father died. He'd be a fascinating case study if he was doing something else besides fucking up the country.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, UDontKnow said:

NSIAP because it needs to be circulated: 

I hope more groups, like this one in Washington, spring up to sue the shit out of Fox News. Take them for every dime they have.

https://timesofsandiego.com/business/2020/04/02/washington-state-group-is-1st-to-sue-fox-news-for-calling-coronavirus-a-hoax/

"Wrong on the facts." LOL! Seek sanctions? WTF is she talking about?

Ugh. The production on that video is awful. Looks like it was culled together from other YouTube videos. 

I thought this one was pretty good:

56 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

Wait--is it overhyped or is Trump saving a lot of lives?

Because if it's hype, then lives aren't at risk.

If Trump is saving a bunch of lives, then it is a very real--i.e., non-overhyped--threat.

I'm waiting for Trump to declare that he's now a trillionaire.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ghost of LL said:

So apparently Robert Jeffress think that churches shouldn't be taxed, but they're small businesses that should get taxpayer funding:

https://twitter.com/robertjeffress/status/1245828866549207042?s=20

Jesus: Render therefore unto Caesar the things which be Caesar's, and unto God the things which be God's.

This fraud: Give it all to me because Jesus would want it that way!

1 minute ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Ugh. The production on that video is awful. Looks like it was culled together from other YouTube videos. 

fox news claims they never switched gears.  yet they fired one of the anchors featured prominently in these videos.  why was that, again?

there's a clear double-standard between the treatment of a possible pandemic with a dem president and now, but the real issue is the 180 they've pulled in the past 3 weeks.  don't let the other garbage distract us.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

You're right the production wasn't the greatest. But if you watched the video far enough, it exposed the hypocrisy that is Fox News. Clips included their commentary and response to the Ebola outbreak. As one would expect, they skewered Obama after the US had 11 cases and 2 deaths. Compare that to how they have been moving the goal posts claiming the network took the Coronavirus seriously from the start. I think this comparison is especially important in any formal litigation because it shows that Fox News knew exactly what it was doing back under the Ebola outbreak with Obama and again with the Trump corona virus. They were raising alarm bells to make Obama look bad and willfully misleading the American public just to make Trump look good.

12 minutes ago, elfenix said:

who could possibly have known!?!?

people always know this shit ahead of time.  often they go through proper channels to report it.

we already saw with ukraine what happens to these stand-up men and women who go through the proper channels when something doesn't feel right.  they get trashed by half the country and state media, then removed from their posts.

pretty dangerous dynamic they've put in place.

2 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

reporting must've just come in.

a couple hours ago, cnn was at 6,300.  then a few min ago, it was at 6,600.  now it's over 6,900.

somebody spiked.

michigan is now 3rd in total deaths.

wash down to 5th.  cal is at 6th.  penn and louisiana new cases spiked.

all per worldo.

1 hour ago, tx 3 putt said:

limbaugh has hard on for fauci today, pretty much calling him a quack without calling him a quack. keeps harping all the 'models' are horribly wrong and the media is over hyping this whole deal. fauci and others at work against trump over hydrochlorothiazide treatments - media and deep state don't want to give him credit for all the lives he's saved and/or going to save 

You have to identify with those Christians that self-flagellate 

1 hour ago, tx 3 putt said:

limbaugh has hard on for fauci today, pretty much calling him a quack without calling him a quack. keeps harping all the 'models' are horribly wrong and the media is over hyping this whole deal. fauci and others at work against trump over hydrochlorothiazide treatments - media and deep state don't want to give him credit for all the lives he's saved and/or going to save 

*Hydroxychloroquine. Please tell me Limbaugh actually confused the two.

meanwhile, in the uk:

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/04/03/coronavirus-take-a-look-inside-nhs-nightingale.html

The world’s largest critical care unit opened in London on Friday, as the U.K. steps up its fight to tackle the spread of the coronavirus.

U.K. health-care workers and the British military worked together to overhaul the London ExCel center, which normally hosts conferences and exhibitions, building the pop-up Nightingale hospital in just nine days.

The hospital was built to help Britain’s National Health Service (NHS) cope with the surge in demand for emergency care due to the coronavirus, which has so far infected 34,192 and killed 2,926 people in the U.K., according to latest data from Johns Hopkins University. 

Global cases of the COVID-19 infection have now surpassed the 1 million mark.

The temporary hospital, named after the pioneering nurse Florence Nightingale, currently holds 500 beds, though the NHS said the facility in east London has the capacity for between 4,000 and 5,000 beds. 

NHS hospitals across the U.K. have already freed up more than 33,000 beds, equivalent to 50 new hospitals. Meanwhile, the private hospital sector agreed to offer up to 8,000 beds, as well as staff and equipment, for use by the NHS. 

they may have taken awhile to get their shit together, but once boris made his decision, they fucking committed to it.

the excel is cavernous - i've been there numerous times for trade shows. 

why are we not trying to do something with the austin convention center?

4 hours ago, bernorange said:

The Inquistion, what a show
The Inquistion, here we go
We know you're wishing
That we'd go away
But the Inquistion's here and it's here to stay
The Inquistion, oh boy
The Inquistion, what a joy

/Adam Schiff

Her emails 

And his blowjob

Benghazi 

How many other BS Republican searches you want?

Other countries also have to deal with religious nuts spreading Coronavirus. Organized religion, especially Abrahamic ones in my experience (only one true path to true salvation by the one true God), is the greatest scourge to mankind.

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/india/647-covid-19-cases-found-in-last-2-days-linked-to-tablighi-jamaat-congregation-health-ministry/articleshow/74968123.cms

647 cases identified in 2 days because an Islamic organization - which had previous links to terrorist organizations - decided to have a global get together. 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/asia_pacific/india-coronavirus-tablighi-jamaat-delhi/2020/04/02/abdc5af0-7386-11ea-ad9b-254ec99993bc_story.html

India was doing pretty good with Coronavirus until this happened.

Edited by UDontKnow
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, kevwun said:

This is why we are fucked.  There are too many exemptions.  We aren't gonna slow down shit this way.  Some of the rural counties are starting to have alarming jumps in case numbers.

Been preaching this for well over a week or two.  WAY too many jobs/businesses/activities considered "essential"

6 hours ago, Red Five said:

Yes, by all means make an exception for millions of Texans all gathered close together singing into each others faces once a week. 

Lulz, I know right.  Just asking them all to get it.

6 hours ago, kevwun said:

It's not just that, it's the number of employees who have been declared exempt.  My wife got sent to the fucking panhandle this week to work on the survey for a transmission line that's not going to be built for a couple of years.  That's not exactly a high priority project in my mind.

Yep. I'm at work every damned day at a Used Car Dealership(also sell insurance too, but could do that from home).  All because every other dealer is open, and god forbid we don't get every walk in payment.

2 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

My exposure to Limbaugh's show is pretty much clips on here and otherwise being familiar with his schtick. But it cracks me the hell up that he is discussing "models" and how they are wrong and intimating that Dr. Fauci, a world renowned researcher and doctor is a quack. Who the fuck do you think you are Limbaugh, you college dropout? Oh, what's that? Bill Gates didn't finish college either? You're right Limbo, he didn't. And is that who you went to for your lung cancer diagnosis you canklesore?

The saddest part of Rush' wrinkly butt existence is that through all of these years he has benefited from the repeal of the Fairness Doctrine which would have exposed his privileged racist white ass a lot sooner for the farce that it is. No one in their right mind should give anyone money to air wrong science. Freedom of speech w/o factual rebuttal when it comes to science is pablum for idiots.

Stations that air his show are the ones who need to be held accountable as much as he is.

Hey, last night the Times opinion section said Kushner would get us killed.  Today it was the Post's turn:

Trump’s ignorant son-in-law is running the coronavirus response. That’s unacceptable.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2020/04/03/trumps-halfwit-son-in-law-is-running-coronavirus-response-thats-unacceptable/?utm_campaign=wp_main&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter

“What a lot of the voters are seeing now is that when you elect somebody to be a mayor or a governor or a president, you’re trying to think about who will be a competent manager during the time of crisis. This is a time of crisis, and you’re seeing certain people are better managers than others.”

That was Jared Kushner speaking at the daily briefing of the White House coronavirus task force on Thursday. And why was Kushner there? Why is Kushner, as utterly ignorant and unqualified for this task as he is for all the other ones he has been assigned, even remotely involved with the government’s effort to deal with one of the most profound challenges the United States has ever faced?

Was it not enough that he was told to solve the opioid crisis and achieve Middle East peace, inevitably failing at both? Is he the person whose help we need right now?

He’s not just helping. According to multiple reports, Kushner has established his own shadow task force overseeing the government’s efforts on the coronavirus, at times duplicating or displacing what the official task force is doing as Kushner issues orders across the government and nobody is quite sure who is in charge.

“This was a total mess,” Kushner told people when he came in to take over the coronavirus response, according to Vanity Fair’s Gabriel Sherman. “I know how to make this government run now.”

This was during a period in which Kushner advised the president that the media was overhyping the threat from the virus: In mid-March, the New York Times reportedthat Kushner “considers the problem more about public psychology than a health reality, according to people who have spoken with him."

Kushner has also tried to figure out what to do by getting his brother’s wife’s father, an ER doctor, to ask around on Facebook to determine how the government should handle the crisis.

Spoiler

But now he has it under control, because he knows more than the actual experts. “I have all this data about ICU capacity. I’m doing my own projections, and I’ve gotten a lot smarter about this. New York doesn’t need all the ventilators,” Sherman reportsthat Kushner has said privately.

As of Thursday, New York State reported had nearly 100,000 cases of the virus. And more than 2,300 people in the state had died.

So many awful things have happened over the past three years that we’ve become almost numb to them. But this a moment when our voices should be rising in anger. As if it weren’t bad enough that the president is messing this up so badly himself, he has outsourced management of one of the most deadly challenges the United States has ever faced to his ignorant son-in-law.

Perhaps there is an individual somewhere who is so brilliant, so deeply informed, so experienced, so persuasive, and possessed of such remarkable judgment that he or she would have been capable of solving all those problems Kushner has been assigned. Perhaps there is someone who with zero knowledge of public health or pandemics or government logistics could swoop in and successfully manage this kind of crisis.

It’s at least possible that such a person exists. But Kushner is not that person.

In fact, just like his father-in-law, Kushner is a walking case study in the Dunning-Kruger effect, in which people of low ability drastically overestimate their own abilities, in large part because they are incapable of understanding what they don’t know.

Join that with a lifetime of unearned wealth and privilege (Kushner, a mediocre high school student, was accepted to Harvard after his father pledged to the university a well-timed $2.5 million donation), and you wind up with someone who is supremely and unjustifiably confident, moving through a world in which nobody ever tells them how badly they’ve messed up or how incompetent they are.

The only difference between Kushner and his father-in-law is that President Trump goes out in public and says that he knows more than all the experts about the area of their expertise, while Kushner only says it in private.

The very fact that Kushner has any job at all in the government is deeply inappropriate; the fact that he has seized such sweeping authority over so many policy areas is abominable. This is only the latest example, but it’s the most appalling.

Americans are literally dying by the thousands because Trump and his band of grifters and buffoons are so utterly incapable of seeing a crisis coming and managing it when it arrives. The entire government is hampered by Trump’s inattention, his ignorance, his pettiness, his selfishness and his belief in his own infallibility. If there was someone competent who could take control in this moment, there might be some reason to be hopeful.

Instead, we’ve got Jared Kushner. If there’s a better — and more horrifying — illustration of everything that’s wrong with this presidency, it’s hard to recall. And we’re all paying the price.

• Like 1

Alabama just announced a statewide shelter in place order.

Press conference happening right now and in pure Alabama fashion after the governor and attorney general spoke, Governor MeeMaw is having a reverend speak.

Motherfucker giving a sermon during a government press conference.

So on brand.

• Like 2

Quick update to my posts from a few days ago, based on info that is current as of this morning after my most recent shift. We are not yet taking in positive COVID-19 cases (just having to rule people out), but your Austin critical care nurses are already being asked to reuse paper gowns. Paper gowns. Are they "water resistant" paper? Sure. But they are designed to be ripped off of the body and be disposed of cleanly after one use.

So we've got that going for us. 

• Like 4