CR: COVID-19 --Political Talk

Mrs Whiggins

22 minutes ago, FondrenRoad said:

Every empire falls.  Nobody is going to fight when this one does. Everyone will be facing local problems that take precedence. 

That being said, if it has to be bloody, then so be it. 

Unless it happens the same way the British Empire fell. If that's the case it will be a global catastrophe.

Our nuclear arsenal makes that less likely. I guess that's the good news.

Edited by David Dennison

2 hours ago, cactusflinthead said:

I just looked this woman up and she's a radiologist, so at least a real Dr, which is a step up for Fox. I'm still not sure I should care about her opinion on infectious diseases or respiratory health. The real press needs to do a better job on their headlines. "Fox news medical contributor Radiologist Dr Nicole Saphier on Sunday said....". At least I could skim the headline and decide if her opinion was worth a shit. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Bullneck said:

You're spending way too much time on this guy.  I 100% can tell you he didn't read your post.  He's a troll.

Thanks, it's okay.

Like in fairytales, on the Internet sometimes you just take the fork in the road and see what happens. It's also how you get to Mt. Horeb from Baraboo and Mt. Horeb is a great place to visit if you want to see trolls.

7 minutes ago, HenryJames said:

“Why sell put options? They’re a play on volatility,” said Jim Angel, a professor at Georgetown University.

On Feb. 20 and 21, Loeffler’s advisers sold put options on five companies, including DuPont de Nemours Inc., Kellogg Co. and Alibaba Group Holding Ltd. The sale generated immediate premiums, but obligate the couple to buy the underlying shares if they fall below the strike price when the options expire later this year. So far, all but the Alibaba and Kellogg options are in the red.

Two weeks later, Loeffler’s advisers sold put options in another basket of companies, including BP Plc, Chevron Corp. and American International Group Inc. Most of those are also underwater.

Earlier in the year, Loeffler reported the sale of put options in Delta Airlines, Aflac and Caterpillar Inc., all of which are currently in the red.

Another professor suggested the strategy was unusual for a traditional portfolio and might suggest a need for cash. “It’s a risky play, with limited upside and unlimited downside,” said Craig Pirrong, a professor of finance at the University of Houston. “If my adviser were doing that,” he added, “I’d be kind of ticked.”

UH prof should post on the #Stonks thread. 

1 hour ago, Ted Lange said:

UK regulator Ofcom also warned Uckfield FM, a community radio station, this week for featuring someone with “potentially harmful statements about the coronavirus.” A guest, identified as a “registered nurse,” appeared in a 20-minute segment in February, claiming that 5G is sucking the oxygen out of people’s lungs. The segment also spread the falsehood that 5G and coronavirus are linked. Clips of the radio show have been widely shared on Facebook ever since.

giphy.gif

• Like 2

On 4/2/2020 at 11:44 PM, Jive Turkey said:

This asshat sounds like middle management at a software company. 

Kush would make a great cloris leachman drag queen

MV5BMTQyOTI1MTExNV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTYwOTY2

17 hours ago, Jive Turkey said:

Trump, Falwell and Graham all trying desperately to be consequential in their fathers' shadows. 

5 hours ago, Mo Horn said:

Ted being a piece of shit as usual. 

Ted's working for the 2020 VP slot.

3 hours ago, cactusflinthead said:

I doubt people who live off shoe or titty money are going to drink responsibly.

2 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

No titty or shoe money?  I don't...what?

You folks really need to watch a few seasons of Shameless.  Plus the Frank to Trump comparisons are spot on.  

2 hours ago, Bullneck said:

That woman is only concerned about herself and her cronies.  Her PPE is her god.  Anyone else too dumb to not immerse themselves in her god deserves to die.  

5 minutes ago, 4th&Five said:

That's jaw dropping. He doesn't have the slightest idea of what a virus is or how it works. A vague notion that we pass the Invisible Enemy around. Masks. Ventilators. Blah blah. Polls 

He's got no fucking clue 

Edited by cactusflinthead
mo stuff

14 minutes ago, Bullneck said:

Let's not stop talking about Loeffler the inside trader.  

"Inside trader" should be the first thing that comes up when you search her. name.

Which Inside trader Kelly Loeffler are you talking about? When talking about inside trader Kelly Loeffler are you talking about inside trader Kelly Loeffler that is married to the Wall Street guy and thus is an inside trader by way of a very slimy case of inside trader connection by marriage or do you mean inside trader Kelly Loeffler who is a Senator using that particular position to be inside trader Kelly Loeffler by way of privileged information, which coincidentally is insider trading? Pity that both inside trader Kelly Loeffler personas are one and the same and are inside trader cases that should be prosecuted and result in resignation from the Senate for insider trading. That's what inside trader Kelly Loeffler should do. Resign for insider trading.

• Like 6

27 minutes ago, 4th&Five said:

I’m guessing that calling it the Chinese virus wasn’t picking up much traction in right wing circles, so they pivoted to calling it “invisible” to support Trump’s excuse that nobody could have seen it coming. 

Edited by Jive Turkey
  • Like 4

57 minutes ago, Bama Chick said:

Wooo boy, the usual suspects in the DT thread are MAD AS FUCKKKK about this story being posted in their “Please don’t bring up politics because I know my personal politics are shit” bubble.

I’ve seen dead kids and grandpas who dropped babies of a cruise ship and victims murdered by cops and anti-vaxxers and all other kinds of deaths mocked mercilessly on that board.

But this one??? WHY ARE YOU CELEBRATING A DUMB PERSON DYING FROM THEIR DUMBNESS? WHY IS EVERYTHING POLITICAL???

It’s hilariously obvious that the ones most butthurt were spouting the same kind of nonsense as Kovid Karen and probably still believe that nonsense but aren’t comfortable saying it publicly now.

There’s more bitching about CR than actual CR posts. Again, the privilege to state without irony that this situation isn’t totally intertwined with politics is breathtaking to me.

It’s the broader version of “I don’t see color! I just see people!” tone deafness of well off, mostly white men.

Supercattyfragileisticpassivefightavoidance

• Like 4

Two questions:

1.  in the "NON" political DT thread, are we allowed to celebrate the demise of Boris Johnson, should it happen?

2.  in a similar vein, would it be OK to celebrate the demise of, say, Nancy Pelosi or Adam Shifty Shiff, should it happen?

Seeking clarity.  

1 minute ago, jimmyjazz said:

Two questions:

1.  in the "NON" political DT thread, are we allowed to celebrate the demise of Boris Johnson, should it happen?

2.  in a similar vein, would it be OK to celebrate the demise of, say, Nancy Pelosi or Adam Shifty Shiff, should it happen?

Seeking clarity.  

1. Yes.

2. No.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

Which Inside trader Kelly Loeffler are you talking about? When talking about inside trader Kelly Loeffler are you talking about inside trader Kelly Loeffler that is married to the Wall Street guy and thus is an inside trader by way of a very slimy case of inside trader connection by marriage or do you mean inside trader Kelly Loeffler who is a Senator using that particular position to be inside trader Kelly Loeffler by way of privileged information, which coincidentally is insider trading? Pity that both inside trader Kelly Loeffler personas are one and the same and are inside trader cases that should be prosecuted and result in resignation from the Senate for insider trading. That's what inside trader Kelly Loeffler should do. Resign for insider trading.

Kelly Loeffler. Inside trader. 

13 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Two questions:

Seeking clarity.  

Basking in the glow of human suffering is generally speaking a bad look. 

Just now, Anastasis said:

Basking in the glow of human suffering is generally speaking a bad look. 

Generally yes, but there are some evil mother fuckers in this world that deserve to suffer and die.  Not saying the politicians listed in that post deserve to die or are evil but sometimes in this fucked up world when a piece of shit suffers or dies I don't really feel all that bad about it.  

• Like 3

Nordic perspective:

Coronavirus: why the Nordics are our best bet for comparing strategies

From a scientific perspective, and in the absence of better models, the Nordic countries of Sweden, Denmark, Norway and Finland – which are culturally, economically, politically and geographically similar – may, serendipitously, represent a powerful intervention trial.

Currently, 15 million people here have been assigned to a lockdown, while a further 10 million have been asked to simply act responsibly. While it is too early to have definite answers about what works best, interesting insights can already be gleaned.

The Swedish approach to COVID-19 could not be more different from its neighbours, placing much of the responsibility for delaying the spread of the virus and protecting the vulnerable in the hands of the public. It’s now April and, albeit with some restrictions, Swedish bars, restaurants and schools remain open.

https://theconversation.com/coronavirus-why-the-nordics-are-our-best-bet-for-comparing-strategies-135344

The comments are interesting.

35 minutes ago, Loch Ness Monster said:

Feel like in the old days Kelly Loeffler would have her head chopped off in a public square.

Inside trader Kelly Loeffler would make sure her blonde coiffure was styled before her head was chopped off for insider trading.

31 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Two questions:

Seeking clarity.  

For question number 2--AOC would probably make that list, because you know how that works. It shouldn't be OK, though.

1 minute ago, SameSame said:

Honestly, that sounds like something a 3rd grade teacher pins on her wall then says half sarcastically, that's right Kayleigh, you got it you got the spirit!

We've got spirit, yes we do

We've got virus, how 'bout you?

Your post reminded me about the nursery rhyme, Ring Around The Rosy and the popular and debunked myth that it is referring to the bubonic plague. That nursery rhyme, regardless of the myth, has been around for more than a hundred years.

Be pretty cool if someone could pen a folk song for our times about the invisible enemy that slew an orange skinned malefactor and how the real heroes were those humble people that tended and cared for each other as the battle ebbed and flowed.

53 minutes ago, Jive Turkey said:

I’m guessing that calling it the Chinese virus wasn’t picking up much traction in right wing circles, so they pivoted to calling it “invisible” to support Trump’s excuse that nobody could have seen it coming. 

Seems like the COVID has better stealth technology than our air force.

• Like 1