CR: COVID-19 --Political Talk

Mrs Whiggins

1 hour ago, jimmyjazz said:

Actual question:  can the price of generics spike or are they capped by statute?  Certainly the Trump administration has no problem ass-fucking every state on the cost of ventilators.  

Not capped by statute.

Supply and demand.  The Shkreli out front should have told you.

However, HCQ is not an orphan drug and is in relatively plentiful supply because it is useful for other indications.

8 minutes ago, Bullneck said:

She has 0 to do with how Britain executes on this, but . . 

She tells people how to do what they can, to not panic or price gouge, that better days lie ahead and your ancestors will watch how you act.  Systems are in place now, doing the best they can.  We're all in this together.  

See, that wasn't so hard.

Whatever you want to say about royals, Elizabeth is a leader.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, cabowabo said:

Where is Dr. Fauci?  Oh my God, why isn’t Dr. Fauci there?  Will Dr. Fauci be here tomorrow?  Why isn’t the task force wearing face coverings?     Oh my God!!!!

I love it when people ask for him. He and Dr. Birx should be the top two in total minutes because it is a pandemic not a rally. If the President had been giving real press briefings for the last three years then he would have learned that he could have the doctors speak at noon and he could have prime time, but he knows people will change the channel if the doctors aren't there so we're stuck with him.

If the task force wore face coverings these briefings would be so much better because the President wouldn't be there. (Dr. Fauci doesn't wear one, but I bet he would if he and Birx thought it would save lives.

39 minutes ago, kevwun said:

If a tiger can catch it, it can possibly spread it back to zoo keepers  It's better to know that it's a risk.  I'm not gonna sweat them testing it.

I don't know about you, but I'm not going to volunteer to give a tiger a nasal swab.

• Like 1

Gee, imagine this.  Fauci in January 2017:

https://www.healio.com/infectious-disease/emerging-diseases/news/online/{85a3f9c0-ed0a-4be8-9ca2-8854b2be7d13}/fauci-no-doubt-trump-will-face-surprise-infectious-disease-outbreak

Anthony S. Fauci, MD, director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, said there is “no doubt” Donald J. Trump will be confronted with a surprise infectious disease outbreak during his presidency.

Fauci has led the NIAID for more than 3 decades, advising the past five United States presidents on global health threats from the early days of the AIDS epidemic in the 1980s through to the current Zika virus outbreak.

During a forum on pandemic preparedness at Georgetown University, Fauci said the Trump administration will not only be challenged by ongoing global health threats such as influenza and HIV, but also a surprise disease outbreak.

“The history of the last 32 years that I have been the director of the NIAID will tell the next administration that there is no doubt they will be faced with the challenges their predecessors were faced with,” he said.

While observers have speculated since his election about how Trump will respond to such challenges, Fauci and other health experts said Tuesday that preventing disease pandemics often starts overseas and that a proper response means collaboration between not only the U.S. and other countries, but also the public and private health sectors.

“We will definitely get surprised in the next few years,” he said.

Trump, the real estate developer-turned-Republican politician, has worried some infectious disease experts with controversial and sometimes unclear views on certain health issues.

Ronald Klain, who coordinated the U.S.’s Ebola response for the Obama administration, said Trump’s virtual silence about the Zika outbreak and harsh comments about American volunteers infected during the West African Ebola outbreak is “not the kind of leadership we need in our next president.”

Spoiler

“It’s hard to think of a more important time to show a willingness to speak out in the public health community and the global health community than it is right now on the eve of Donald Trump becoming our next president,” Klain said. “The risks have never been higher, and the question of his perspective on these issues has never been more dubious than it is with Donald Trump.”

Fauci and others noted some of the disease outbreaks that recent administrations have faced, including current President Barack Obama, whose administration was tested early on with an H1N1 influenza pandemic in 2009. More recently, the administration was forced to repurpose almost $600 million in federal funds set aside for the Ebola outbreak when Republicans rejected Obama’s request for $1.9 billion to fund the nation’s Zika response.

Current Deputy Homeland Security Advisor Amy Pope, JD, said it was “typical” of the U.S. government that money meant for the Ebola epidemic was appropriated for Zika because of the proclivity of populations to worry about what is currently threatening them.

“We shouldn’t ask the American public to make those choices in the future,” she said. “It doesn’t keep them safe.”

Klain said pandemic preparedness should be approached from a nonpartisan angle. A Democrat, he referenced Republican President George W. Bush founding the U.S. President’s Emergency Plan for AIDS Relief (PEPFAR), and said Republican Senators Mitch McConnell and Lindsey Graham collaborated with the Obama administration on the Ebola response.

“The mosquitoes don’t know if they’re biting Democrats or Republicans,” Klain said. “They don’t know what party you are.”

Other highlights

According to some of the experts who spoke on Tuesday, preparing the U.S. for pandemics requires proper funding and starts by battling disease outbreaks overseas. This is not just the right thing to do, but the best way to keep Americans safe, Klain said.

“There is no safety for us and our populace when infectious diseases rage,” he said. “The only way the American people can have safety and security in their lives is to promote safety and security around the world.”

Some other highlights from the forum:

Hamid Jafari, MD, acting director of the Division of Global Health Protection at the CDC, said the CDC has been productive during past presidential transitions and expects the same will be true as control of the White House passes from Obama to Trump: “We have room for optimism that there will be continuing support,” he said.

Pope said there is no playbook for fighting emerging infectious diseases: “We never know what’s going to hit us, so we need to be prepared as possible,” she said.

According to Pope, some in the health community are wary about working with the security community because they think it will be detrimental to their work, when the opposite is true: “Marrying these communities actually leads to more resources and more attention,” she said.

Bill Steiger, PhD, chief program officer of Pink Ribbon Red Ribbon and former director of the HHS Office of Global Health Affairs, said his first piece of advice for the incoming administration would be to budget time for HHS to focus on things other than domestic health issues, because a larger problem is inevitable: “Some international global health crisis will happen that will divert that attention. It has happened over and over again,” he said.

Steiger said the global health agenda, including programs like PEPFAR, is an “easy win” for the new administration: “Expand the funding if available, but at a minimum keep it going,” he said.

Fauci said he is in favor of a public health emergency fund that would be used to combat outbreaks like those involving Ebola and Zika: “It’s tough to get it … but we need it. What we had to go through with Zika was very, very painful when the president asked for $1.9 billion in February and we didn’t get [funding]until September.”

Near the end, Fauci speculated about the possibility that there will be a resurgence of Zika this summer. The virus has caused many travel-related cases in the U.S. and some locally acquired cases in Florida and Texas. Fauci said other concerns for the Trump administration include the potential for a new influenza pandemic and outbreaks of diseases that are not yet on anyone’s radar.

“What about the things we are not even thinking about?” he said. “No matter what, history has told us definitively that [outbreaks] will happen because [facing] infectious diseases is a perpetual challenge. It is not going to go away. The thing we’re extraordinarily confident about is that we’re going to see this in the next few years.”

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

I love it when people ask for him. He and Dr. Birx should be the top two in total minutes because it is a pandemic not a rally. If the President had been giving real press briefings for the last three years then he would have learned that he could have the doctors speak at noon and he could have prime time, but he knows people will change the channel if the doctors aren't there so we're stuck with him.

how great would it be if a reporter said, "yes i have a question.  oh, sorry mr president, i meant i have a question for dr fauci, i need an actual answer on this one, i'm on deadline here."

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Gengs1 said:

He said trump admin lies about masks only but never calls out him at all of the whole situation. 
Look At the steps Cali took once they found out vs what trump is doing? Seems one sided.

why bring in pelosi in it at all when she doesn’t have nearly any power when compared to trump.
yea Tulsi would solve the ducking problem, 

I have listened to him on the podcast before and he loves to blame the left but has yet mention the right at all

Yeah, the Tulsi thing was weird.  I lasted a few minutes but could tell it wasn't going anywhere.  Other than being some unknown rich guy, why should I listen to anything he has to say?

1 minute ago, henrygandorf said:

how great would it be if a reporter said, "yes i have a question.  oh, sorry mr president, i meant i have a question for dr fauci, i need an actual answer on this one, i'm on deadline here."

THAT would be money. Front row question right there.

Per usual, he holds the briefings when I'm cooking and so I miss part of them. Based on the Axios story, this is coming to a head soon. It's so strange how a group of people can malign science in so many areas and then turn to science for the 'Eureka' moment when they are desperate and then malign science again when the scientists say, " it doesn't work like that."

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Message Board User said:

This is fine.

My son just asked me when things were going to calm down to the point that he can go to the movies and meet his friends.  I told him whenever a foreign country (Germany, maybe) creates a vaccine and private citizens are able to buy it.  Just end run around this Trump nonsense.  

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

Per usual, he holds the briefings when I'm cooking and so I miss part of them. Based on the Axios story, this is coming to a head soon. It's so strange how a group of people can malign science in so many areas and then turn to science for the 'Eureka' moment when they are desperate and then malign science again when the scientists say, " it doesn't work like that."

I know people who can't budget and pay their bills.  Their fix?  The lottery.

2 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

move in with your daughter.

if trump wins in november, we're getting the f outta h.

Tempting, but since moving to California she has acquired a nice young beau and her father and I would be cramping their style. Better to live close, but not too close. Vancouver is lovely but darn it sure is expensive up there. I hear you, though. My spouse isn't a worry wort but he has concerns now that he didn't vocalize before.

14 minutes ago, Message Board User said:

This is fine.

That’s all knows is what’s on TV, he sees it on tv it must be good and knowledgeable.

you can see with listening to Kim K;

We need to add the honey booboo to the health department and we are set.

fuck the nerds who don’t look good, they are losers to him 

Just now, tchookem said:
20 minutes ago, Anastasis said:
LOL.  These idiots are arguing over uncontrolled, non randomized data from foreign studies, 

It sounds like one of them is arguing over that data. The other is wanting actual data.

I still maintain that when they put the doctors in charge of the Department of Justice or the Federal Reserve then the economists can discuss the medical treatment strategy for a pandemic virus.

• Like 1

Wow, the brouhaha over on the NONpolitical COVID thread must have resonated with the genpop. #Karen is also trending with over 132,000 tweets. Apparently folks are getting steamed about the whole Karen thing and taking sides. Slur vs. Not a Slur plus the Karen that caught COVID. America is feeling claustrophobic and ragey tonight.

31 minutes ago, Message Board User said:

This is fine.

"Look people, we're gonna need to talk to a lot of doctors. Dr. Oz, Dr. Drew, Dr. Phil, Dr. Dre. I've asked Jared to get me in touch with Dr. Doom. I hear he's very good. Doom. What a name, right? I can't think of a better person to deal with Corona than Dr. Doom. Let's get him on the phone."

• Like 6
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

Which Inside trader Kelly Loeffler are you talking about? When talking about inside trader Kelly Loeffler are you talking about inside trader Kelly Loeffler that is married to the Wall Street guy and thus is an inside trader by way of a very slimy case of inside trader connection by marriage or do you mean inside trader Kelly Loeffler who is a Senator using that particular position to be inside trader Kelly Loeffler by way of privileged information, which coincidentally is insider trading? Pity that both inside trader Kelly Loeffler personas are one and the same and are inside trader cases that should be prosecuted and result in resignation from the Senate for insider trading. That's what inside trader Kelly Loeffler should do. Resign for insider trading.

Bears repeating.

2 hours ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

Great hour of grief? I was thinking Pence wrote what he was reading but leave it to Trump to ad lib.

Isn't that a hymn by Charles Wesley?

1 hour ago, Bullneck said:

Well, he's lucky he didn't get busted by the Feds.  

No, they are waiting at the docks, so they can seize the goods there, add them to their own stockpile.  Forfeiture of assets, right?

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Bama Chick said:

Wooo boy, the usual suspects in the DT thread are MAD AS FUCKKKK about this story being posted in their “Please don’t bring up politics because I know my personal politics are shit” bubble.

I’ve seen dead kids and grandpas who dropped babies of a cruise ship and victims murdered by cops and anti-vaxxers and all other kinds of deaths mocked mercilessly on that board.

But this one??? WHY ARE YOU CELEBRATING A DUMB PERSON DYING FROM THEIR DUMBNESS? WHY IS EVERYTHING POLITICAL???

It’s hilariously obvious that the ones most butthurt were spouting the same kind of nonsense as Kovid Karen and probably still believe that nonsense but aren’t comfortable saying it publicly now.

There’s more bitching about CR than actual CR posts. Again, the privilege to state without irony that this situation isn’t totally intertwined with politics is breathtaking to me.

It’s the broader version of “I don’t see color! I just see people!” tone deafness of well off, mostly white men.

I always get a kick out of imagining those guys listening to like some old Springsteen or Rolling Stones records, tapping their foot along to the beat and then suddenly getting really mad and outraged when they realize that they are listening to music that has a political message behind it.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

so all of this begs the question...if someone takes this lupus med and somehow dies, does that count as a covid death?

Yes. And the people that take the drug cocktail and have QTc prolongation and stroke out.  And the people who have a flare of RA or lupus as result of shortages. And the people whose liver croaks out from the toxicity. I'm mostly worried about the latter. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

He wrote a lot of hymns but that would not ring a bell for me. Thou Man of Grief, Remember Me would be the closest.

Was thinking sweet hour of prayer, but guess he didn't write that.  Not important enough to google.  Aw, what the hell.

W.W. Walford, 1845.  The more you know.