CR: COVID-19 --Political Talk

Mrs Whiggins

5 minutes ago, Tuco said:

Yesterday, the number of daily deaths in the US dropped.  Might be an outlier.  Over the last few days, the number of daily deaths in Italy and Spain also dropped.  

It does make me wonder if there has been a shift in treatment that has been successful.  Not saying it's a particular cocktail of pharmaceuticals, but it might be.  Hopefully the trend holds. 

Number of new cases went down too. I'm not sure if it being a Sunday helped that or not 

24 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

I thought maybe Bama could find her way to getting at least half as riled up about human trafficking in the Philippines as she does about me answering Jimmy's question as to which deaths we should celebrate. 

Either I missed something in this thread or this is the Most Whatabout leader in the pantheon of Whataboutism.

7 minutes ago, Tuco said:

Yesterday, the number of daily deaths in the US dropped.  Might be an outlier.  Over the last few days, the number of daily deaths in Italy and Spain also dropped.  

It does make me wonder if there has been a shift in treatment that has been successful.  Not saying it's a particular cocktail of pharmaceuticals, but it might be.  Hopefully the trend holds. 

What is the treatment? I'm not aware that any exists yet. 

13 minutes ago, Tuco said:

It is far more likely that the effects of social distancing are starting to show up.

Just now, WhatTheBuck said:

What is the treatment? I'm not aware that any exists yet. 

Pretty much anything a doctor does is a treatment.  And they have definitely been trying different treatments, including Trump's magic drug, but also things like steroids to suppress an overactive immune system that might be causing too much inflammation. I have no idea what's been effective.  But, to see three curves break around the same time, when they had been on different trajectories gives me some hope that there is something that changed. (Like I say, the US rate may just be a wild point.) 

4 minutes ago, Bullneck said:

Either I missed something in this thread or this is the Most Whatabout leader in the pantheon of Whataboutism.

What about inside trader Kelly Loeffler? What about her? Inside trader Kelly Loeffler is the leader of insider trading. Currently anyway. If inside trader Kelly Loeffler wasn't insider trading then she wouldn't be the leader of insider trading.

@WhatTheBuck. Maybe a variety of things they are trying? The plasma, etc? I believe the mitigation effort may start to show up in parts of the country, combined with yesterday being Palm Sunday for Christians.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Tuco said:

Pretty much anything a doctor does is a treatment.  And they have definitely been trying different treatments, including Trump's magic drug, but also things like steroids to suppress an overactive immune system that might be causing too much inflammation. I have no idea what's been effective.  But, to see three curves break around the same time, when they had been on different trajectories gives me some hope that there is something that changed. (Like I say, the US rate may just be a wild point.) 

I'm defining treatment as an established method of treating the disease. We don't have any yet as far as I've heard. They're not just throwing whatever they've got at the patients and seeing what works. They can try to alleviate symptoms and, if necessary, put the patient on a ventilator when they can't breathe for themselves anymore. But it's mostly just hoping they can survive because we haven't had time to develop and test an actual treatment for the disease. 

WHERE'S THE TESTS?

5 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

I'm defining treatment as an established method of treating the disease. We don't have any yet as far as I've heard. They're not just throwing whatever they've got at the patients and seeing what works. They can try to alleviate symptoms and, if necessary, put the patient on a ventilator when they can't breathe for themselves anymore. But it's mostly just hoping they can survive because we haven't had time to develop and test an actual treatment for the disease. 

Fauci is still saying this is as well:

3 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Well, I'm including "treating the symptoms" as treatment.  Surviving the disease would 1) result in a reduction in daily deaths, at least initially, and 2) give the body the chance to fight off the disease.  If there has been a significant improvement in treating the lethal symptoms, that could be a big deal. I'm not suggesting they are "just throwing whatever they've got," but there are certainly a wide range of treatments they are trying.  That includes "on-label" treatments that utilizes drugs that have been used to treat similar symptoms caused by other diseases, and some off-label trial experimentation.    

1 minute ago, Tuco said:

Well, I'm including "treating the symptoms" as treatment.  Surviving the disease would 1) result in a reduction in daily deaths, at least initially, and 2) give the body the chance to fight off the disease.  If there has been a significant improvement in treating the lethal symptoms, that could be a big deal. I'm not suggesting they are "just throwing whatever they've got," but there are certainly a wide range of treatments they are trying.  That includes "on-label" treatments that utilizes drugs that have been used to treat similar symptoms caused by other diseases, and some off-label trial experimentation. 

Maybe someone should conduct a study. 

Don't get your hopes up until there's an actual treatment for the disease. 

Just now, DixonHur said:

I posted this in the bat-shit crazy thread, and Woody Harrelson is spreading this bullshit.  

Hey budtender...I'll have what he's having!

My wife saw Harrelson in LA at an oxygen bar so maybe he's had a few too many molecules of OXY over the years.

10 minutes ago, cactusflinthead said:

Pretty good rundown of how the Invisible Enemy works 

Thread

It's irresponsible to imply cognition and volition behind the random processes of genetic mutation and natural selection. And I'm pretty sure viruses are technically alive. 

1 minute ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Maybe someone should conduct a study. 

Don't get your hopes up until there's an actual treatment for the disease. 

There are numerous studies going on.  Anti-virals, steroids, plasma from recovered patients.  AIDS survival rates have increased dramatically without there being an "actual treatment for the disease." 

2 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

It's irresponsible to imply cognition and volition behind the random processes of genetic mutation and natural selection. And I'm pretty sure viruses are technically alive. 

You should really let the virologist know he is wrong about a fundamental aspect of viruses. 

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, PsychMike said:

My wife saw Harrelson in LA at an oxygen bar so maybe he's had a few too many molecules of OXY over the years.

I used to work in the film business and I smoked out with him in Canada once...dude is cool as shit, but way the fuck out there with conspiracy theories.

• Like 1

CNN has had the Lt. Governors of both Georgia and California on this morning.  It was a stark contrast between the two areas of the country.  California was a well-spoken woman who was very competent and in the know of what was going on.  Georgia was a young-ish white dude who was defensive about keeping the beaches open and had a jesus cross prominently on the wall behind him.

Holy shit if true. Worth a read. No way these assholes are this evil, right? 

I can't believe anyone not deranged could still be backing fuckhead and his administration. They are fucking crooks.

OMG. Gula's brand new company, Blue Flame, has made top billing on the National Governor's Association resource page: https://www.nga.org/coronavirus-resources/
Edited by crash_davis
  • Like 3

8 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

Holy shit if true. Worth a read. No way these assholes are this evil, right? 

I can't believe anyone not deranged could still be backing fuckhead and his administration. They are fucking crooks.

OMG. Gula's brand new company, Blue Flame, has made top billing on the National Governor's Association resource page: https://www.nga.org/coronavirus-resources/

A non-reddit source.

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/03/27/republican-fundraiser-company-coronavirus-152184

17 minutes ago, Tuco said:

There are numerous studies going on.  Anti-virals, steroids, plasma from recovered patients.  AIDS survival rates have increased dramatically without there being an "actual treatment for the disease." 

You should really let the virologist know he is wrong about a fundamental aspect of viruses. 

Don't get defensive. Your original premise was that a one day decline in U.S. deaths due to coronavirus, and a decrease in deaths in Italy and Spain over the course of a few days, might indicate an improvement in treatment. Do you think that would've been coordinated, not only in the U.S., but also with Italy and Spain? I don't think what's happening in Italy and Spain is particularly relevant to a one day drop in U.S. deaths. It's more likely that their numbers are related to a decision to lock down their countries a while ago, not because of some move to better treatment of symptoms. With regard to the U.S., one day does not a trend make. Let's give it some time and see what happens. 

Yes, of course studies are being conducted by responsible scientists in a scientific manner to find a treatment for the disease. They're not studying your premise to see if it's valid. That was my point. 

26 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

23 minutes ago, Tuco said:

Tuco is correct on the science.

I'm married to a biomolecular chemist and he has to keep reminding me because viruses 'seem' alive to laypeople like me. But, they aren't. They're pretty cool though. Maybe not the time for me to geek out over them during a pandemic, but when scientists began sequencing DNA they found all sorts of ancient DNA in humans some of which they *believe may be remnants of past viruses. I may not have the science exactly right on that one, but it was something to do with the way they interact with cells? Cool stuff. We have several friends who are virologists but they work more with plant viruses than human ones although one works for the CDC. He's too busy to talk at the moment, but my husband is looking forward to a good catchup when things are calmer.

*this is off of memory so I may not have it right.

4 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

Just posted for those of us that don't like the reddit format.

Thanks for the nonreddit link. Easier for me to access, appreciate it. Wonder if Blue Flame who says they are 'sensitive' to price gouging are more 'sensitive' to red states than blue ones?

1 hour ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

What about inside trader Kelly Loeffler? What about her? Inside trader Kelly Loeffler is the leader of insider trading. Currently anyway. If inside trader Kelly Loeffler wasn't insider trading then she wouldn't be the leader of insider trading.

@WhatTheBuck. Maybe a variety of things they are trying? The plasma, etc? I believe the mitigation effort may start to show up in parts of the country, combined with yesterday being Palm Sunday for Christians.

I haven't heard anything about inside trader Kelly Loeffler today.  But yesterday I saw some inside trader news about Kelly Loeffler.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Bullneck said:

I haven't heard anything about inside trader Kelly Loeffler today.  But yesterday I saw some inside trader news about Kelly Loeffler.

You know inside trader Kelly Loeffler was insider trading with medical stocks? Inside trader Kelly Loeffler made money from being Kelly Loeffler inside trader. Here is someone else, a former FDA Trump appointee who probably knows of inside trader Kelly Loeffler because he, too, makes money by pushing medical product. Do you think inside trader Kelly Loeffler knows him?

14 minutes ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

Tuco is correct on the science.

I'm married to a biomolecular chemist and he has to keep reminding me because viruses 'seem' alive to laypeople like me. But, they aren't. They're pretty cool though. Maybe not the time for me to geek out over them during a pandemic, but when scientists began sequencing DNA they found all sorts of ancient DNA in humans some of which they *believe may be remnants of past viruses. I may not have the science exactly right on that one, but it was something to do with the way they interact with cells? Cool stuff. We have several friends who are virologists but they work more with plant viruses than human ones although one works for the CDC. He's too busy to talk at the moment, but my husband is looking forward to a good catchup when things are calmer.

*this is off of memory so I may not have it right.

Yeah, read the thread - the guy goes right into stating that viruses aren't technically alive, aren't making "decisions," etc.  He's using that language to describe how they actually function -- and how some versions/mutations are more efficient than others.  It's a really great thread, actually.  Worth a read.

4 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Yeah, read the thread - the guy goes right into stating that viruses aren't technically alive, aren't making "decisions," etc.  He's using that language to describe how they actually function -- and how some versions/mutations are more efficient than others.  It's a really great thread, actually.  Worth a read.

Yeah, and one of the big things for me out of the thread is that people with anti-bodies are unlikely to transmit the virus.  I was talking to my daughter  (recent grad microbiologist with a grunt job in product testing) about that last night, and she was thinking that even those with acquired immunity might be able to transmit, although she wasn't sure.  It's a huge difference on what normal might look like after the first wave.  

And, yeah, the viral reproduction cycle is bizarre as fuck.  The Mad-cow thing - not even a virus, more of molecule - is even weirder. 

6 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

Prions are creepy af. 

And extremely difficult to kill.  If I recall, you can take a blow torch to the fuckers and they still function.  Maybe that's an exaggeration, but cooking your hamburger well done doesn't make it better.  (So, I'll stick with medium rare.) 

Edit - "kill" is not really the right word, since they aren't alive.  "Neutralize" maybe. 

Edited by Tuco

21 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

It can't be bargained with. It can't be reasoned with. It doesn't feel pity, or remorse, or fear. And it absolutely will not stop, ever, until you are dead.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Tuco said:

And extremely difficult to kill.  If I recall, you can take a blow torch to the fuckers and they still function.  Maybe that's an exaggeration, but cooking your hamburger well done doesn't make it better.  (So, I'll stick with medium rare.) 

Edit - "kill" is not really the right word, since they aren't alive.  "Neutralize" maybe. 

"denature"

13 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

I'm aware of the thinking behind not considering viruses "alive." I don't think that's universally agreed upon. Just because they're a primitive life form doesn't make them non-living. 

They're our relatives. Somewhere back in time, as best as we can tell from all the evidence, we share a common ancestor. They more closely resemble that ancestor than we do. 

If I was a member of the religious set then I would probably feel particularly threatened by the notion of a non-living entity that had genetics similar to ours and had genes that reproduced just like ours.