CR: COVID-19 --Political Talk

Mrs Whiggins

When we lived in Wisconsin, there were a number of stories about CJD and whether it was linked to the CWD in the deer populations. I don't think they ever established a link back then and I've dropped that off my radar pretty much but as populations increase upon habitat, there will be more animal to human jumps with diseases. Kind of like what some people keep warning us about with respect to monitoring, etc.

36 minutes ago, Bullneck said:

I haven't heard anything about inside trader Kelly Loeffler today.  But yesterday I saw some inside trader news about Kelly Loeffler.

There does seem to be a lot of news about Inside trading by inside trader Kelly Loeffler. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

Metallica had a song about this.

King Nothing also fits:

Spoiler

Wish I may
Wish I might
Have this I wish tonight
Are you satisfied?
Dig for gold
Dig for fame
You dig to make your name
Are you pacified?

All the wants you waste
All the things you've chased

And it all crashes down
And you break your crown
And you point your finger, but there's no one around
Just want one thing, just to play the King
But the castle crumbled and you're left with just a name
Where's your crown, King Nothing?
Where's your crown?

Hard and cold
Bought and sold
A heart as hard as gold
Yeah! Are you satisfied?
Wish I might, Wish I may
You wish your life away
Are you pacified?

All the wants you waste
All the things you've chased

Then it all crashes down
And you break your crown
Just want one thing. just to play the King
Where's your crown?

Huh!

Wish I may, wish I might
Have this wish, I wish tonight
I want that star, I want it now
I want it all and I don't care how

Careful what you wish
Careful what you say
Careful what you wish you may regret it
Careful what you wish you just might get it

Then it all crashes down
And you break your crown
Just want one thing, just to play the King
Nothing
Oh, You're just nothing
Where's your crown King Nothing?
Oh, you're just nothing
Absolutely nothing
Off to never never land

Edited by Francisco 2.0

Of course these fuck sticks from the idiot surgeon general to president dumbass are trying to talk about this like it's a war. This isn't a war. There's no fighting and there's no mobilizing an army. We have no way to defeat this virus except stay the fuck away from each other for a few months.

But since they keep wanting to talk about it like a war we should be constantly pointing how how they've failed every stage of war preparations. This would be like if FDR failed to mobilize any army and just ignored pearl harbor hoping the Japanese would go away. 

Edited by Junior Miller
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Grade of D as in David said:

Which Kelly Loeffler?

The Kelly Loeffler who is US senator from Georgia and married to the chairman of the NYSE?

Is that the Kelly Loeffler that is accused of insider trading?

Yeah, that's the one.  Insider trader Kelly Loeffler.  You know, she was doing some insider trading, which is illegal, and she's also a US Senator from Georgia.  Kelly Loeffler, insider trader.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

When we lived in Wisconsin, there were a number of stories about CJD and whether it was linked to the CWD in the deer populations. I don't think they ever established a link back then and I've dropped that off my radar pretty much but as populations increase upon habitat, there will be more animal to human jumps with diseases. Kind of like what some people keep warning us about with respect to monitoring, etc.

CWD will eventually decimate the deer population in Texas.  To make the point COVID related, it too is tied back to unnatural handling practices related to wild animals.  Monitoring sounds like a good idea.  Maybe we also think about the way that we interact with the natural world before we kill ourselves. 

Edited by Anastasis
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

I'm aware of the thinking behind not considering viruses "alive." I don't think that's universally agreed upon. Just because they're a primitive life form doesn't make them non-living. 

They're our relatives. Somewhere back in time, as best as we can tell from all the evidence, we share a common ancestor. They more closely resemble that ancestor than we do. 

If I was a member of the religious set then I would probably feel particularly threatened by the notion of a non-living entity that had genetics similar to ours and had genes that reproduced just like ours. 

Here, have at it. 

Even someone that postulates that the nucleus is of viral origin isn't ready to call them alive without qualification.

Alive, borrowed life, gray area

Doesn't really matter. 

Are fire ants thinking when they form the floating island?

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/are-viruses-alive-2004/

12 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

Yeah, that's the one.  Insider trader Kelly Loeffler.  You know, she was doing some insider trading, which is illegal, and she's also a US Senator from Georgia.  Kelly Loeffler, insider trader.

Inside trader, Kelly Loeffler the Senator from Georgia should focus on something besides inside trading. Since insider trader Kelly Loeffler is a Senator and isn't supposed to BE insider trading, she should be focusing on her constituents who are contracting COVID. Insider trading is not legal therefore insider trader Kelly Loeffler is breaking the law.

3 hours ago, Anastasis said:

I thought maybe Bama could find her way to getting at least half as riled up about human trafficking in the Philippines as she does about me answering Jimmy's question as to which deaths we should celebrate. 

You do realize I was mocking the jackasses in the DT thread, right?

50 minutes ago, Tuco said:

And extremely difficult to kill.  If I recall, you can take a blow torch to the fuckers and they still function.  Maybe that's an exaggeration, but cooking your hamburger well done doesn't make it better.  (So, I'll stick with medium rare.) 

Edit - "kill" is not really the right word, since they aren't alive.  "Neutralize" maybe. 

How’s about we just stop eating so much goddamned meat, especially exotic meat. And yes, I include deer in that category. If we stopped eating it, wala, no more threat of prions. 

6 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

You do realize I was mocking the jackasses in the DT thread, right?

You realize I was making a flippant response to the mocking notion in your post that political inclinations influence the value of human life, right?  

Edited by Anastasis

9 minutes ago, Chooky said:

Florida is about to become a visible atrocity. 

pennsylvania and florida are on pace to pass california before too long in total cases.  possibly louisiana too.

and something just happened on worldometers, as the death toll went from 9,700 to 10,300+.

13 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

At the moment designing a clinical registry of COVID patients using national EMR connections.  You?

Serious question.  Is that a job, or a hobby?

Cause the way you describe it, sounds like a hobby.

1 minute ago, FondrenRoad said:

Yes, but Florida appears to have been doing it intentionally. Other states are undertesting due to lack of resources. 

it's because their governor is tonguing trump's asshole.

it's truly bizarre to me how politics is transcending massive threats to human life, but such is the manner of the times.  

de santis is following the lead of the republican party executive. as are all the republicans. because, for them, being republican is more important than leading people to safety.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, hayden_horn said:

it's truly bizarre to me how politics is transcending massive threats to human life, but such is the manner of the times.  

de santis is following the lead of the republican party executive. as are all the republicans. because, for them, being republican is more important than leading people to safety.

Summary: death cult.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

and something just happened on worldometers, as the death toll went from 9,700 to 10,300+.

nm, looking at 1pt3acres

At any rate, NY is at 599 fatalities for today on 1pt3acres, which is probably what worldometers is reflecting.

Edited by jimmyjazz

6 minutes ago, hayden_horn said:

Yep. And after this, we will need to put nursing home deaths in Florida under a microscope in order to see whether "natural causes" and "succumbed to prior conditions" deaths are occurring at a higher than typical rate. 

Even with their lack of testing, their mortality rate remains lower than expected given their demographics. I'm guessing this is because only young people that can drive themselves to the testing center are getting tested. 

3 minutes ago, Mo Horn said:

It's odd to me that Michigan has such a high number. They started their stay at home order on March 24th. Detroit is really the only big metro area and a lot of rural areas where people are naturally separated.

International flights.  It was already well established in Detroit and spreading all over the state before things got shutdown.  Someone posted the info a while back, but basically every major international hub in the US is a hotspot or on track to become one, California being the notable exception

Edited by kevwun

9 minutes ago, hayden_horn said:

there's such an odd pattern developing right now.

blue state govs are pushing hard, trump insults them, says many of them need to "do more", but many of them are already doing more, and doing it well.  trump still insults them when they don't kiss the ring.  yet some of the blue states have flattened the curve.

when asked about red state govs, trump universally says "they are great governors doing a tremendous job".  then when things don't go well, it's "well, it's the governor's decision, it's up to them."  and several red states are blowing up (or about to).

seems like an unsustainable dynamic.  and a fairly horrid one for the gop.  how long until trump and these governors turn on each other?

narrator - not until everyone dies, probably.

12 minutes ago, hayden_horn said:

Well.....look who they are following.  "Be like Trump"!

16 minutes ago, hayden_horn said:

Gov. Hogan of Maryland is an exception 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/md-politics/unafraid-to-call-out-trump-hogan-emerges-as-lead-gop-voice-for-urgent-action-on-pandemic/2020/04/04/909b1fae-7527-11ea-85cb-8670579b863d_story.html

Edited by cactusflinthead
Links

3 minutes ago, kevwun said:

International flights.  It was already well established in Detroit and spreading all over the state before things got shutdown.  Someone posted the info a while back, but basically every major international hub in the US is a hotspot or on track to become one, California being the notable exception

That makes sense. Detroit is a big international hub for Delta, and much of it Europe. 

9 minutes ago, Mo Horn said:

It's odd to me that Michigan has such a high number. They started their stay at home order on March 24th. Detroit is really the only big metro area and a lot of rural areas where people are naturally separated.

Besides Intl flights which also includes wealthy travel besides business travel, Ann Arbor (U Mich.) had winter term end around Feb. 29 and Lansing (MSU) had spring break the first week of March. (students living in the burbs)

Edited by Mrs Whiggins
Edit

Which Kelly Loeffler?
The Kelly Loeffler who is US senator from Georgia and married to the chairman of the NYSE?
Is that the Kelly Loeffler that is accused of insider trading?

Wait - there is an insider trading by Kelly Loeffler issue? Is there an insider trading by Georgia Senator Kelly Loeffler thread or insider trading thread? or Georgia Senator Kelly Loeffler thread, insider trading or no?
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Tuco said:

Yesterday, the number of daily deaths in the US dropped.  Might be an outlier.  Over the last few days, the number of daily deaths in Italy and Spain also dropped.  

It does make me wonder if there has been a shift in treatment that has been successful.  Not saying it's a particular cocktail of pharmaceuticals, but it might be.  Hopefully the trend holds. 

we've reached a limit on testing capacity.  it's like bumping up against a rev limited.  weird shit is going to happen in the data while this gets worked through. 

8 minutes ago, kevwun said:

I flew to Boston in mid January (with connections out of Chicago on both legs of the trip).  Every flight was packed.  If wasn't exposed to it at that time, I honestly have no idea how.

1 hour ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

just looked. holy shit, they have almost twice as many cases as Texas with about 7 million fewer people. that ain't good

they've also tested 63% more people.  texas is undercounting.  floriduh is as well, but with 63% more testing, it's a lower undercount.  1point3acres has texas 3rd from the bottom, basically tied with mississippi for per capita testing at 24XX/million.  only oklahoma is worse at only 6XX/million (fucking hell that state sucks).   AL, GA, KS, and VA are the only other states under 3000/million.  NY is first at 15.5K/million, LA is second at 13K/million.

The 25-county region surrounding Houston had reported fewer than 950 confirmed coronavirus cases among its 9.3 million residents as of Monday. But on that same day, there were 996 people hospitalized in the region with confirmed or suspected cases of COVID-19, according to the advisory council count. That figure is not cumulative and does not include patients with COVID-19 who were hospitalized and released before Monday.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/houston-hasn-t-reported-surge-coronavirus-cases-its-hospitals-tell-n1175291

Edited by elfenix

1 minute ago, elfenix said:

they've also tested 63% more people.  texas is undercounting.  floriduh is as well, but with 63% more testing, it's a lower undercount.

I think it was reported on here that The Villages retirement megasubdivision was where a lot of the tests were occurring because old, had a small outbreak, and GOP. DeSantis wants to protect that community a little more than regular Floridians.