CR: COVID-19 --Political Talk

Mrs Whiggins

3 hours ago, longhornmatt said:

2016: We need to burn it all down!  Life in the USA in 2016 just sucks soooooooo much!   There are wars on Christmas, tan suits, people are expected to pay their student loans, coal mining jobs are no longer desirable like they were in 1880, the fucking terrorists got us that one time 15 years ago, immigrants don’t have to prove their fitness by scaling fences, the top 1% is full of rich people for the first time in history, the media says things I don’t like, [___] ism is the worst thing ever,  iPhones are expensive, Hollywood makes remakes with girls, and Obamacare is like slavery basically ... everything is fucked! Burn it all down!

2020: Hey, it never occurred to me that burning it all down might cause us to lose our status as global hegemon.  Bummer.  Oh well, at least they might let me buy meat at my next rationed grocery appointment in two weeks, and maybe in a couple of months I can even find toilet paper!  And if things ever stop being this great, like if the plague that’s killing us all takes hold of me, at least my doctor will follow the official, FDA and CDC approved pandemic protocol of sacrificing a goat and having me swallow some fish tank Clorox to help ward off the evil spirits!  I’m still glad we’ve burned it all down! 

2020 version needs a lot more blaming the media for exaggerating covid and causing a recession. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Bama Chick said:

This country is horrible.

Curious as to who is paying for the PPE equipment.  If it’s the private companies, I’m not so outraged.

as for the states having to bid on each other, it does create a market to see who needs it the most. I don’t agree with Jared or trump in their methods but when the feds have the equipment, there is a problem on how to equitably distribute it. You can say City A needs it more than City B but do we really know that?  There isn’t even agreement on how a single hospital should ration their PPE much less a national standard.

5 hours ago, Hookah Horns said:

I'm not really buying that trump is pumping hydroxy because a manufacturer of it is a holding in one of his mutual funds. The reason is much simpler: he's a dumbass who is desperate for anything positive to latch onto amidst the shit storm he's found/put himself in. 

Edit: how the fuck do you delete a quoted post for fucks sake

Yep.  If HIV was the “Gay Plague”, this coronavirus is the “Moron’s Miasma.”

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Curious as to who is paying for the PPE equipment.  If it’s the private companies, I’m not so outraged.

as for the states having to bid on each other, it does create a market to see who needs it the most. I don’t agree with Jared or trump in their methods but when the feds have the equipment, there is a problem on how to equitably distribute it. You can say City A needs it more than City B but do we really know that?  There isn’t even agreement on how a single hospital should ration their PPE much less a national standard.

In my view the fuckery is: if the feds are going to get involved in the supply chain, make yourself useful and coordinate this thing instead of making shit even more difficult for the states. Everything they're doing in regards to materiel is half ass. 

Edited by Hookah Horns
  • Like 2

28 minutes ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

1. We pay for the government entity to negotiate with the Chinese.

2.  We pay for the PPE

3. We pay to fly it here on military planes or private cargo charters.

4. the government sells it at their cost to private companies, like the GOP guy in California.

5.  they sell it to the states at huge markup, because the states are bidding against each other.

Did I miss anything?

• Like 6

6 hours ago, DixonHur said:

Guillotines seem a bit too good for this lot...I think hanged, drawn, and quartered is more appropriate.

I didn't realize until this morning that the guillotine was where obelisk is now:

My guillotine picture isn't showing up.  Instead, a repost?

image.png

Edited by Bullneck

6 minutes ago, Hookah Horns said:

In my view the fuckery is: if the feds are going to get involved in the supply chain, make yourself useful and coordinate this thing instead of making shit even more difficult for the states. Everything they're doing in regards to materiel is half ass. 

Seems like the feds involvement is providing transportation. You want them to get involved in inventory control and distribution?

I don’t know if the feds are in a position to do that. Maybe they should be but if they’re not, you have to do something besides complain they’re not.

20 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

No, it creates a market that determine who can pay the most.  That's what all disaster-time gouging is based on.  

And the private companies aren't spending their diplomatic leverage on getting the rival government to agree to it.  This is kleptocracy, plain and simple. 

• Like 6

11 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Seems like the feds involvement is providing transportation. You want them to get involved in inventory control and distribution?

I don’t know if the feds are in a position to do that. Maybe they should be but if they’re not, you have to do something besides complain they’re not.

Yes that's exactly what I want them to do. 

Why does FEMA even exist if they can't handle taking orders from the states, buying shit in bulk and distributing?

I personally have to do something besides complain they're not doing it? 

Edited by Hookah Horns
  • Like 7

Say trump and the GOP wanted Americans dead from Coronavirus what would they be doing differently?

Lying about severity.
Making it difficult for states to get life saving supplies.
Giving horseshit uninformed “medical” advice.
Daily press conferences of lies.
Maybe or maybe not invoking the DPA. And then lying about it.
Silencing the experts.
Pitting states against each other.

And nearly half the country supports them.

• Like 6

lol there will be no guillotines.  The most egregious looters like Burr and Loeffler won't even be forced to resign.  There will be a lot of pointless mewling on the internet though.  

Edited by Fozzz
  • Like 2
  • Fuck You 1

2 minutes ago, lemonlime said:

4 minutes ago, lemonlime said:

Say trump and the GOP wanted Americans dead from Coronavirus what would they be doing differently?

Lying about severity.
Making it difficult for states to get life saving supplies.
Giving horseshit uninformed “medical” advice.
Daily press conferences of lies.
Maybe or maybe not invoking the DPA. And then lying about it.
Silencing the experts.
Pitting states against each other.

And nearly half the country supports them.

Say that the "cure can't be worse than the disease" 

Suggest that people should be willing to risk an early death for the health of the economy. 

• Like 2

Boris Johnson said three weeks before his Covid-19 diagnosis that he was "shaking hands with everybody," including coronavirus patients, and would continue to do so — despite scientific advice warning against the greeting.

The prime minister tested positive for the virus on Friday as the latest UK politician to contract Covid-19, along with health secretary Matt Hancock.

In the early days of March, Mr Johnson appeared to have a casual attitude towards the virus as European leaders began warning their citizens to stop unnecessary social contact when greeting people.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/coronavirus-boris-johnson-positive-test-health-advice-shaking-hands-hospital-hancock-a9430231.html

• Fuck You 1

17 minutes ago, Tuco said:

No, it creates a market that determine who can pay the most.  That's what all disaster-time gouging is based on.  

And the private companies aren't spending their diplomatic leverage on getting the rival government to agree to it.  This is kleptocracy, plain and simple. 

is that what is occurring? I seriously don't know how/if states purchase PPEs during the crisis.

After looking at the US infection curve I have come to a very simply conclusion.  The ONLY reason the number of infected is only growing at roughly 30,000, is that... you guessed it... a lack of available testing. i dumped most of my stock yesterday that I bought on last weeks bottom, outside of some very long term hold's mostly in oil sector where I already have 20+ percent gains, between Shell and Parsley and some ming boggling dividend rates at the prices I bought in at.  

I think there is a false sense of optimism.  The "if we can make it through this week" or this week is our "Pearl Harbor" are going to be proven to be simply hopeful musings.  If my perception regarding lack of increases in a nation of 330 million people can only be a result of lack of testing.  OR you can believe the infection numbers are accurate. and we are shutting down the country because of .000091% increase in our populations infection? 

I hope my prediction is right because I had some vary favorable long term positions that I simply think are gonna see one more big pullback when folks realize were are not going to be "open for business" anytime soon.  In my mind I thought, I am actually investing on the belief that the Trump Administration is "going to get this under control."   And that seems like a stupid thing to invest in.  Simply because I think far too many people still do not understand what this virus is going to do to red state America, and that Trump is so very defensive on testing questions in briefings that we have no hope of "opening up for business" anytime soon. I was hoping for mid-July, and perhaps with another month of shut in that's still possible, but I am thinking that we are two months behind on reasonable expectations for the Trump administration I thought my investment strategy flawed.  I loved my log positions, but think theres gonna be another huge selloff.  If I'm wrong it's gonna cost me a chuck of change. If I'm right I'm hopping right back in on the same stocks later this month.

Right now after watching the optimism in the market yesterday, I think folks still don't realize where this is headed. I think sometime a week or so after Easter, as the spread begins to hammer rural (R) areas, the depth and time it's gonna take to get back to "normal" is gonna cause another selloff. Hope I made the right decision.  

29 minutes ago, Hookah Horns said:

Yes that's exactly what I want them to do. 

Why does FEMA even exist if they can't handle taking orders from the states, buying shit in bulk and distributing?

I personally have to do something besides complain they're not doing it? 

My impression is that is EXACTLY what FEMA was created for.  And that other entity that Gen. Honore mentioned.  WE HAVE PEOPLE FOR THIS.  But Trump can't make money if we use them. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Bullneck said:

I didn't realize until this morning that the guillotine was where obelisk is now:

image.png

To be fair, Navarro sends a standing daily memo talking shit about China, no?

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Bullneck said:

image.png

The guillotine was not where the obelisk is now.  It was in the corner of the Place where the Hotel Crillon is now, near the statue for the City of Brest.

The point of having the guillotine in a public place for for it to be theatrical.  And it wasn't a theater-in-the-round--nobody wanted to be looking at the condemned's ass.  There was decidedly a "backstage."  So the only real option was to have it in a corner of the Place, rather than in the big fat middle.

Haha. of fucking course.

https://www.yahoo.com/huffpost/donald-trump-stake-company-hydroxychloroquine-112913777.html

Donald Trump Has Stake In Hydroxychloroquine Drugmaker: Report

HuffPostApril 7, 2020, 6:29 AM CDT

President Donald Trump reportedly owns a stake in a company that produces hydroxychloroquine, the anti-malaria drug he has repeatedly touted as a coronavirus treatment even though his experts say there’s no strong evidence it works. 

Trump “has a small personal financial interest” in Sanofi, the French drugmaker that makes Plaquenil, the brand-name version of hydroxychloroquine, The New York Times reported Monday.

In addition, Sanofi’s largest shareholders include a mutual fund company run by major Republican donor Ken Fisher, the paper said. Trump’s three family trusts, as of last year, each had investments in a mutual fund whose largest holding was Sanofi, according to the Times. Commerce Secretary Wilbur Ross also had ties to the drugmaker, the Times reported.

Trump’s “assertiveness” in promoting the drug contrary to the recommendation of top health experts “has raised questions about his motives,” the Times noted.

A chorus of Trump supporters with no medical expertise have backed the president’s urging of doctors to treat COVID-19 patients with the drug, including his personal lawyer, Rudy Giuliani, and Fox News host Sean Hannity.

In the face of warnings from top infectious disease expert Dr. Anthony Fauci that the drug’s safety and effectiveness are uncertain in treating COVID-19, Trump has continued to laud its supposed benefits.

“What do you have to lose?” he asked at a press briefing this week urging those sick with the virus to take the drug.

Turns out plenty. 

There could be deaths,” American Medical Association President Dr. Patrice Harris said. “This is a new virus, and so we should not be promoting any medication or drug for any disease that has not been proven and approved by the FDA.”

Generic drugmakers also are gearing up to produce hydroxychloroquine pills. One of those companies was co-founded by Trump golfing buddy Chirag Patel, according to the Times.

The White House didn’t immediately answer HuffPost’s request for comment.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, horn4life said:

After looking at the US infection curve I have come to a very simply conclusion.  The ONLY reason the number of infected is only growing at roughly 30,000, is that... you guessed it... a lack of available testing. i dumped most of my stock yesterday that I bought on last weeks bottom, outside of some very long term hold's mostly in oil sector where I already have 20+ percent gains, between Shell and Parsley and some ming boggling dividend rates at the prices I bought in at.  

I think there is a false sense of optimism.  The "if we can make it through this week" or this week is our "Pearl Harbor" are going to be proven to be simply hopeful musings.  If my perception regarding lack of increases in a nation of 330 million people can only be a result of lack of testing.  OR you can believe the infection numbers are accurate. and we are shutting down the country because of .000091% increase in our populations infection? 

I hope my prediction is right because I had some vary favorable long term positions that I simply think are gonna see one more big pullback when folks realize were are not going to be "open for business" anytime soon.  In my mind I thought, I am actually investing on the belief that the Trump Administration is "going to get this under control."   And that seems like a stupid thing to invest in.  Simply because I think far too many people still do not understand what this virus is going to do to red state America, and that Trump is so very defensive on testing questions in briefings that we have no hope of "opening up for business" anytime soon. I was hoping for mid-July, and perhaps with another month of shut in that's still possible, but I am thinking that we are two months behind on reasonable expectations for the Trump administration I thought my investment strategy flawed.  I loved my log positions, but think theres gonna be another huge selloff.  If I'm wrong it's gonna cost me a chuck of change. If I'm right I'm hopping right back in on the same stocks later this month.

Right now after watching the optimism in the market yesterday, I think folks still don't realize where this is headed. I think sometime a week or so after Easter, as the spread begins to hammer rural (R) areas, the depth and time it's gonna take to get back to "normal" is gonna cause another selloff. Hope I made the right decision.  

Why/how do you expect low density rural areas to get hammered? I think they're going to largely be spared, at least compared to the cities. 

5 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

The guillotine was not where the obelisk is now.  It was in the corner of the Place where the Hotel Crillon is now, near the statue for the City of Brest.

The point of having the guillotine in a public place for for it to be theatrical.  And it wasn't a theater-in-the-round--nobody wanted to be looking at the condemned's ass.  There was decidedly a "backstage."  So the only real option was to have it in a corner of the Place, rather than in the big fat middle.

Thanks for the correction.  Wondering what an equivalent location might be?

large_dc-central.jpg

5 minutes ago, Hookah Horns said:

Why/how do you expect low density rural areas to get hammered? I think they're going to largely be spared, at least compared to the cities. 

Maybe not the very rural areas, but I could see it impacting places like Tarrant County which is full of R voters. 

19 minutes ago, Bullneck said:

My impression is that is EXACTLY what FEMA was created for.  And that other entity that Gen. Honore mentioned.  WE HAVE PEOPLE FOR THIS.  But Trump can't make money if we use them. 

I don't know if FEMA can handle a national crisis. They almost always fail for local or regional hurricanes that impact a relatively small percentage of the US. 

Now whether they should be funded and staffed to handle a national crisis is another question. I 100% agree that Trump has decimated the fed govt because he and his people want the fed govt to be much smaller than it has been. It's currently incapable of meeting the requirements set by previous admins.  

16 minutes ago, Hookah Horns said:

I don't think on a per capita basis they will get hit as hard as denser areas like NYC.  But from what I read here they have significantly less capability to handle the strain any cases will present.  

OTOH, they seem to be kind of dumb about the whole distancing thing, so I guess we won't know until May.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I don't know if FEMA can handle a national crisis. They almost always fail for local or regional hurricanes that impact a relatively small percentage of the US. 

Now whether they should be funded and staffed to handle a national crisis is another question. I 100% agree that Trump has decimated the fed govt because he and his people want the fed govt to be much smaller than it has been. It's currently incapable of meeting the requirements set by previous admins.  

FEMA has a long history of being an unprepared shit show. But in regards to supplies they would have a very simple task, basically running a buyers' group. It seems to me you'd only need a few people with basic managerial skills to ascertain states' true needs as best you can, order the stuff, and route it. Ideally we'd stop pussyfooting around with the DPA as well and get Uncle Sam at the front of the line for every damn thing produced by American companies. 

• Like 2

Ah, Mississippi.  Don't ever change:

https://m.jacksonfreepress.com/news/2020/apr/05/scv-gov-tate-reeves-proclaimed-confederate-heritag/

As coronavirus spiked across the state, the Mississippi Sons of Confederate Veterans posted a copy of an April 3 state proclamation naming this month as “Confederate Heritage Month.” Gov. Tate Reeves apparently signed the proclamation two days after he did an about-face and issued a statewide shelter-at-home order due to rising COVID-19 infections in Mississippi.

“God bless the Confederate Soldier. He shall never be forgotten. Deo Vindice!” the Mississippi SCV’s April 3 Facebook post read about the proclamation. “Deo Vindice," Latin for “Under God as our Vindicator,” appeared on the official seal of the Confederacy and was the Confederacy’s motto.

Screen_Shot_2020-04-05_at_2.29.05_PM_t29

Oh, and here's the Governor speaking at the Sons of Confederate Veterans' national reunion in Vicksburg, Miss., in July 2013

IMG_5994_t280.jpeg?ed0c8a36ff9a452a7fd5d

1 hour ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Someone at the federal level making tough choices are a hell of a lot better than states with money outbidding poor states.  Yea, its uncomfortable, and you might get dragged in front of congress when this is all over and excoriated, but thats part of the fucking job.  Document everything, use a protocol to take the emotion or bias out of it, and adjust as things change.  I don't think Trump's WH is doing this as some kind of reinterpretation of how the federal government works, I think they are just terrified of being blamed for anything, so they are passing the buck. They are focused on mitigating damage to his reelection instead of leading during a fucking crisis.  Add it to the long list of shit to hang around this administration's neck.  

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Bullneck said:

I don't think on a per capita basis they will get hit as hard as denser areas like NYC.  But from what I read here they have significantly less capability to handle the strain any cases will present.  

OTOH, they seem to be kind of dumb about the whole distancing thing, so I guess we won't know until May.

God takes care of fools and idiots or something like that.  

18 minutes ago, SubliminalHorn said:

Maybe not the very rural areas, but I could see it impacting places like Tarrant County which is full of R voters. 

For sure. I just saw this map of predicted severity of covid spread by county (put together by UT people actually), and my folks' town of Boerne in Kendall County is supposed to be a future hotspot.

spacer.png

But red ass middle America definitely has it better than the blues according to this. 

7 minutes ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

https://m.jacksonfreepress.com/news/2020/apr/05/scv-gov-tate-reeves-proclaimed-confederate-heritag/

Oh, and here's the Governor speaking at the Sons of Confederate Veterans' national reunion in Vicksburg, Miss., in July 2013

Congratulations, Mississippi, on your proud history of racism and treason. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, DigDug said:

Beyond irresponsible.  Can any Trumpkin defend this reckless dangerous behavior. 

People will lose their lives directly because of him.  You can draw a straight line from it.

You bet your ass that every one of them is defending it using their orange dotard's moronic talking points like the tools that they are. 

3 minutes ago, DigDug said:

Beyond irresponsible.  Can any Trumpkin defend this reckless dangerous behavior. 

People will lose their lives directly because of him.  You can draw a straight line from it.

They will never hear about it.  And when they do, they will 'look into it' means they will hear you, pretend to have interest, and watch Fox/OAN for the story.  If it isn't there, it didn't happen.  

1 hour ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

This post is bad and you should feel bad for making it. 

16 minutes ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

It amazes me that things like this happen at all anywhere, but especially in the state with the single largest proportion of black people. Do blacks not vote at all there? 

Edited by Hookah Horns

11 minutes ago, Hookah Horns said:

For sure. I just saw this map of predicted severity of covid spread by county (put together by UT people actually), and my folks' town of Boerne in Kendall County is supposed to be a future hotspot.

spacer.png

But red ass middle America definitely has it better than the blues according to this. 

I'm not sure anyone lives in those light areas.

1 hour ago, horn4life said:

Sadly, after living through the real estate bust in Florida and the oil bust in Texas I would opine that you are probably right.  It will take a long time to put the economy back together.

One other thing: when there's extreme volatility in the economy it strengthens the strong and weakens the weak.    

Edited by Bullneck

3 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

A post stating that the federal govt isn't in position to deal with coronavirus is bad.  Didn't mean to offend your trumpkin views.

No, a post that asserts that the federal government (1) outbidding the states for medical supplies, (2) handing the medical supplies to private companies, and (3) forcing the states to re-bid on medical supplies they already bid on but this at at even more inflated rates, is anything but the dumbest least inefficient course of conduct is a bad a post. It's ok, you made a mistake. The important part is to move on and re-evaluate all prior decisions.  

Ask yourself this, if the federal government didn't get involved like above, what changes? The richest states still end up with the supplies. It just took longer to get them, cost more, and a middleman made some coin. Please provide one even slight benefit to the states to those actions. I'm quite certain there is none. 

• Like 2