CR: COVID-19 --Political Talk

Mrs Whiggins

1 minute ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

how long will he be allowed to get away with this shit??

You should probably read the entire article and understand the entire story before your get triggered. When people say "fake news" it's misleading bull shit like this headline that gets CNN this bad reputation. 

• Fuck You 10

2 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

You should probably read the entire article and understand the entire story before your get triggered. When people say "fake news" it's misleading bull shit like this headline that gets CNN this bad reputation. 

i'm on my phone and the article won't load.  what does it say?

2 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

Trump removes independent watchdog tasked with overseeing coronavirus emergency funds

Zachary Cohen

By Zachary Cohen, CNN

Updated 1:45 PM ET, Tue April 7, 2020

President Donald Trump signs the coronavirus stimulus relief package, at the White House, Friday, March 27, 2020, in Washington.

President Donald Trump signs the coronavirus stimulus relief package, at the White House, Friday, March 27, 2020, in Washington.

(CNN)President Donald Trump has removed the acting inspector general for the Defense Department, Glenn Fine, from his post -- a decision that means Fine will no longer chair the Pandemic Response Accountability Committee tasked with overseeing $2 trillion in emergency coronavirus funding.

Late last month, a group of independent federal watchdogs tapped Fine, a career official, to lead the group tasked with preventing "waste, fraud, and abuse" in the use of coronavirus relief money.
A Defense Department spokeswoman did not explain why Fine was removed from the acting inspector general position, but she did explain that it meant he was no longer eligible to stay on the accountability committee, which is limited to inspector generals and acting inspector generals.
"The DoD OIG is still part of the Pandemic Response Accountability Committee," spokesperson Dwrena K. Allen told CNN, using the acronym for the defense department and the inspector general position. "Mr. Fine is no longer serving as the Chair because he is no longer serving in an acting IG capacity."

"Glenn Fine reverts to his position as the Principal Deputy Inspector General. He remains focused and committed to the important mission of the DoD OIG," Allen added.

Latest attack

Fine's removal marks Trump's latest attack on the world of independent federal oversight.
Since Friday, Trump has fired the Intelligence Community inspector general who informed Congress of the whistleblower complaint that led to his impeachment and attacked the Health and Human Services inspector general who found vast concerns at hospitals over supply shortages amid the coronavirus pandemic.
The Democratic chairwoman of the House Oversight Committee, Rep. Carolyn Maloney of New York, called Fine's removal "a direct insult to the American taxpayers -- of all political stripes -- who want to make sure their tax dollars are not squandered on wasteful boondoggles, incompetence, or political favors."
"President Trump has been engaged in an assault against independent Inspectors General since last Friday in order to undermine oversight of his chaotic and deficient response to the coronavirus crisis," she said.
Maloney noted that Fine "was fully supported by Congress and the Inspector General Community. President Trump's actions are a blatant attempt to degrade the independence of Inspectors General who serve as checks against waste, fraud, and abuse."
Trump has designated Sean W. O'Donnell, who is the Environmental Protection Agency Inspector General, to serve as the Defense Department's acting inspector general in addition to his current duties at the EPA, according to Allen. On Monday, Trump also nominated Jason Abend to be the Pentagon's Inspector General, she said.
The former intelligence community inspector general, Michael Atkinson, said in a statement that be believed Trump ousted him for doing his job.
"It is hard not to think that the President's loss of confidence in me derives from my having faithfully discharged my legal obligations as an independent and impartial Inspector General, and from my commitment to continue to do so," Atkinson wrote.
Atkinson said he was "disappointed and saddened" by Trump's decision to oust him, while the President said that Atkinson did not have his "fullest confidence."
Trump defended his decision on Saturday, charging that Atkinson "did a terrible job, absolutely terrible" and "took a fake report and gave it to Congress."
The President struck a similar tone about the Health and Human Services watchdog during Monday's coronavirus task force briefing at the White House.
Trump repeatedly suggested, without evidence, that the HHS watchdog report detailing hospital shortages was politically motivated when pressed on its findings that the nation's hospitals are dealing with "severe" and "widespread" shortages of needed medical supplies, hampering the ability to test and respond to the coronavirus pandemic adequately and protect medical staff.
He continued to lash out against the HHS inspector general via Twitter on Tuesday.
"Why didn't the I.G., who spent 8 years with the Obama Administration (Did she Report on the failed H1N1 Swine Flu debacle where 17,000 people died?), want to talk to the Admirals, Generals, V.P. & others in charge, before doing her report. Another Fake Dossier!" Trump tweeted.
HHS did not immediately respond to CNN's request for comment.

CNN's Vivian Salama contributed reporting

Edited by Longhorn_Fan68

I read it.  What are we missing? Looks like blatant corruption to me.

Spoiler

(CNN)President Donald Trump has removed the acting inspector general for the Defense Department, Glenn Fine, from his post -- a decision that means Fine will no longer chair the Pandemic Response Accountability Committee tasked with overseeing $2 trillion in emergency coronavirus funding.

Late last month, a group of independent federal watchdogs tapped Fine, a career official, to lead the group tasked with preventing "waste, fraud, and abuse" in the use of coronavirus relief money.
A Defense Department spokeswoman did not explain why Fine was removed from the acting inspector general position, but she did explain that it meant he was no longer eligible to stay on the accountability committee, which is limited to inspector generals and acting inspector generals.
"The DoD OIG is still part of the Pandemic Response Accountability Committee," spokesperson Dwrena K. Allen told CNN, using the acronym for the defense department and the inspector general position. "Mr. Fine is no longer serving as the Chair because he is no longer serving in an acting IG capacity."

"Glenn Fine reverts to his position as the Principal Deputy Inspector General. He remains focused and committed to the important mission of the DoD OIG," Allen added.

Latest attack

Fine's removal marks Trump's latest attack on the world of independent federal oversight.
Since Friday, Trump has fired the Intelligence Community inspector general who informed Congress of the whistleblower complaint that led to his impeachment and attacked the Health and Human Services inspector general who found vast concerns at hospitals over supply shortages amid the coronavirus pandemic.
The Democratic chairwoman of the House Oversight Committee, Rep. Carolyn Maloney of New York, called Fine's removal "a direct insult to the American taxpayers -- of all political stripes -- who want to make sure their tax dollars are not squandered on wasteful boondoggles, incompetence, or political favors."
"President Trump has been engaged in an assault against independent Inspectors General since last Friday in order to undermine oversight of his chaotic and deficient response to the coronavirus crisis," she said.
Maloney noted that Fine "was fully supported by Congress and the Inspector General Community. President Trump's actions are a blatant attempt to degrade the independence of Inspectors General who serve as checks against waste, fraud, and abuse."
Trump has designated Sean W. O'Donnell, who is the Environmental Protection Agency Inspector General, to serve as the Defense Department's acting inspector general in addition to his current duties at the EPA, according to Allen. On Monday, Trump also nominated Jason Abend to be the Pentagon's Inspector General, she said.
The former intelligence community inspector general, Michael Atkinson, said in a statement that be believed Trump ousted him for doing his job.
"It is hard not to think that the President's loss of confidence in me derives from my having faithfully discharged my legal obligations as an independent and impartial Inspector General, and from my commitment to continue to do so," Atkinson wrote.
Atkinson said he was "disappointed and saddened" by Trump's decision to oust him, while the President said that Atkinson did not have his "fullest confidence."
Trump defended his decision on Saturday, charging that Atkinson "did a terrible job, absolutely terrible" and "took a fake report and gave it to Congress."
The President struck a similar tone about the Health and Human Services watchdog during Monday's coronavirus task force briefing at the White House.
Trump repeatedly suggested, without evidence, that the HHS watchdog report detailing hospital shortages was politically motivated when pressed on its findings that the nation's hospitals are dealing with "severe" and "widespread" shortages of needed medical supplies, hampering the ability to test and respond to the coronavirus pandemic adequately and protect medical staff.
He continued to lash out against the HHS inspector general via Twitter on Tuesday.
"Why didn't the I.G., who spent 8 years with the Obama Administration (Did she Report on the failed H1N1 Swine Flu debacle where 17,000 people died?), want to talk to the Admirals, Generals, V.P. & others in charge, before doing her report. Another Fake Dossier!" Trump tweeted.

Edited by 4th&Five
  • Like 1

Just now, henrygandorf said:

He didn't remove the person that handles the money just the person who conducts oversight over the person who handles the money.  He gave the oversight role to his buddy who runs the EPA so he can do this new task of the side of his desk.  We shouldn't worry though because there is someone in place doing oversight so sit back and enjoy the ride.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, 4th&Five said:

I read it.  What are we missing?

Reveal hidden contents

Latest attack

lol, yeah. I'm not seeing ANYTHING in that article that would suggest I'm a triggered snowflake for my having the reaction I did

Edited by Longhorn_Fan68

8 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

I read the article.  Here it is, copied directly from CNN.

What was misleading about the title?

Spoiler

President Donald Trump has removed the acting inspector general for the Defense Department, Glenn Fine, from his post -- a decision that means Fine will no longer chair the Pandemic Response Accountability Committee tasked with overseeing $2 trillion in emergency coronavirus funding.

9 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

How is the headline misleading? It accurately states what happened. 

christ the article is worse than the headline.

it focuses mainly on (and reminds us of) trump's constant "attack on independent federal oversight."

these people are in place for a reason.  and just because you 'can' replace anyone you want, doesn't mean you 'should'.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

yeah, i think i need some clarification on how the article and headline do not match up. 

14 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

When this is all over, everyone who screamed "FAKE NEWS!" every time a media source reported negatively on Trump gets a fucking gibbet too.

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

say what you want about the political bias of some of the anchors or hosts or contributors on cnn (please don't, i don't want to hear it) but the main cnn "breaking news" twitter account reports "breaking news".  they don't editorialize or offer opinions within their headlines.

43 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

It's in the NYTimes as well.  

Are you seriously coming here to defend Trump and attack the media?

3 hours ago, StruggleBus said:

Well he's correct that the WHO is a massive pile of horseshit. Can't say that without praising himself of course. 

What is wrong with the WHO? I get that they aren’t perfect and that trump and his defenders want to blame others for the US’s failures with this pandemic, but why are they a pile of horseshit?

42 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

What part of the story and headline is “fake news!?!?”  Lulz

4 hours ago, Bullneck said:

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2018/07/poll-prri-voter-suppression/565355/

There was another article I saw where a county would have only one place to register.  But you had to have a driver's license.  That was issued in a city 45 minutes away.  So, for some people you have to spend a lot of time in line at different places to be able to vote.  There was also an article I saw yesterday people who only vote once every 20 years having their votes nullified because of "fraud."  

What a fucking garbage state. Almost makes Oklahoma look civilized. 

48 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

christ the article is worse than the headline.

it focuses mainly on (and reminds us of) trump's constant "attack on independent federal oversight."

these people are in place for a reason.  and just because you 'can' replace anyone you want, doesn't mean you 'should'.

They're not even trying to hide their corruption. They need to feed at the trough and so they get people out of the way that might blow the whistle on them and slow them down. They are treating this pandemic like the boon it is for them. I don't think there will be elections in November, and if they allow it, it will be because they are rigged. It sucks to sound like a crazy conspiracy theorist but shit like this right out in the open convinces me that is what is happening. His crime organization has co-opted our government much like the corona virus co-opts cells. 

1 hour ago, Newy25 said:

The fuck are you talking about?

2 minutes ago, burntorangebongos said:

They're not even trying to hide their corruption. They need to feed at the trough and so they get people out of the way that might blow the whistle on them and slow them down. They are treating this pandemic like the boon it is for them. I don't think there will be elections in November, and if they allow it, it will be because they are rigged. It sucks to sound like a crazy conspiracy theorist but shit like this right out in the open convinces me that is what is happening. His crime organization has co-opted our government much like the corona virus co-opts cells. 

There will be elections in November. They can't stop states from having them. 

Edited by David Dennison

3 minutes ago, burntorangebongos said:

trump himself mentioned how "texas made a fortune" from hurricane harvey.  that's just how he sees the world.

sad that the dems had to fight to put an amendment in the stimulus package prohibiting trump properties or interests from receiving funds, yet everyone with a brain is absolutely positive that will still happen.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Errestaurants said:

Lol. Ivanka has created 15 million jobs. Did he really just say that?

He's said it several times over the past few years, the number bounces between 14 and 15 million.  And at times, he just says "millions".

In reality, since his inaguration, the US has only created (prior to our New Depression) 6 million jobs.

The basis of this claim are pledges of job training by various US companies:

https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefings-statements/icymi-bloomberg-wilbur-ross-ivanka-trump-introduce-workforce-advisory-board/

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, hayden_horn said:

acting navy secretary has now resigned.

The number of people in this administration who are NOT complete clusterfucks wrapped in shitbombs remains pegged at ZERO.

What a fucking joke of an administration.  But they're doing a great job!  Ivanka (qualifications: two fake tits that her dad REALLY admires) has created FIFTEEN MILLION jobs, and is effectively a member of the cabinet!  As is her simp of a husband!  THE BEST PEOPLE!

How in the blue fuck can any human being look at this train wreck and NOT see it for what it is?  

• Like 6

24 minutes ago, Foggy Notion said:

the beauty of the coronavirus for trump is that now he can tell whatever tall tales he wants about "the way things were before the virus".  jobs, stock market, the economy, oil, interest rates, boeing and other great american companies.  he's become that old relative that tells stories about the war or high school football where the "facts" become more and more outrageous in the telling and retelling.

it's like big fish, except none of it is actually true at the end.  and his kids are assholes.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

The number of people in this administration who are NOT complete clusterfucks wrapped in shitbombs remains pegged at ZERO.

What a fucking joke of an administration.  But they're doing a great job!  Ivanka (qualifications: two fake tits that her dad REALLY admires) has created FIFTEEN MILLION jobs, and is effectively a member of the cabinet!  As is her simp of a husband!  THE BEST PEOPLE!

How in the blue fuck can any human being look at this train wreck and NOT see it for what it is?  

Well, as we often have to remind ourselves, in the immortal (paraphrased) words of George Carlin:  half the people in this country have an IQ below 100.  Have you ever met someone with an IQ of 100?  They're fucking idiots.

• Like 2

Just now, jimmyjazz said:

Well, as we often have to remind ourselves, in the immortal (paraphrased) words of George Carlin:  half the people in this country have an IQ below 100.  Have you ever met someone with an IQ of 100?  They're fucking Senators and Presidents.

FIF sad accuracy.

16 hours ago, UDontKnow said:

Sweatergawd, I'm sick of everyone playing medical doctors these days. In reality, physicians will admit when they don't know what is going on and call on their fellow physician colleagues to help out. Generally speaking, we don't talk out of our asses. /former premed rant.

0d28c001338b2003be96aa820931c49f.jpg

2 hours ago, TexLonghorn said:

For a frame of reference:

Current "official" US coronavirus death toll is 11,906.  That number would equal the largest crowd ever in Disch-Falk Field (a surprising 10,000 for a 1977 exhibition game) PLUS the largest crowd ever at Red and Charline McCombs softball field (1,570) at the same time, and still have over 300 people that don't fit into the stadiums.  Gonna have to shift the frame of reference later this week to the Erwin Center.

No reference to Gregory Gym;  I haz a sad.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Scott Pruitt feels like 20 years ago.  i long for those innocent days of grift.  not the incompetence or self-interest we have that is leading to or excusing the death of Americans, and then trying to make $$$ from it.