CR: COVID-19 --Political Talk

Mrs Whiggins

22 minutes ago, FondrenRoad said:

I would say it would be at this stage. State gov't officials should get the credit though. Trump, and really the entire federal gov't, have done nothing but obfuscate and get in the way. 

The official party line for Democrats from now until November should be that no matter how many people die from COVID-19, there would have been fewer deaths and less economic pain but for the incompetence of the president and his administration.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Dahobbs said:

Credit for what? Local leaders filling in the gap left by his lack of leadership?

It might actually be one of their better "spin" opportunities. "We support smaller [fed] government, and we've always been big on State's rights. We did exactly what our Republican platform has argued for years by letting each locality choose how to govern themselves."

Of course, that doesn't hold up to anybody who has actually been paying attention. It will also look bad for the party if blue cities/states end up looking like they managed their curves far better. That is still somewhat of an unknown (although it certainly looks like it will be the case). It also starts to fall apart the more we hear stories about the Feds seizing equipment and/or outbidding states for said equipment. But we all know that none of that matters to 40% of the country because they will never hear those aspects of the story.

1 hour ago, Rougarou said:

Black Swan events as we know them consist of the three components. I see the third component a lot on this board:

1) Impossible to predict

2) Wide-reaching and wide impact of consequences

3) People will try to justify we could prevent, with a fallacy known as hindsight bias.

One of the things about a Black Swan event that hasn't been touched on is the hindsight bias that gets applied to it. If you don't like Trump it's going to be easy to go back and say, "well, if we had those people he didn't lay off, Covid-19 wouldn't have happened/would have been lessened/etc."

It feels good emotionally to lash out at the leader, and the GOP idiots would be spit roasting a Dem if a Dem were President, but equally wouldn't make a significant difference.

It's like the M&M Prop 1 of capital structure but for politics; doesn't matter the leverage, it's all the same.

Except the high probability of this Scenario has been understood for years. Where we are is a measure of management competence at the Federal level and nothing else.

Edited by Bozo_Casanova
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

Among the lowest in the nation in deaths though, so we got that going for us. 

When you don't test, or autopsy, you don't have to add them to your number. Same for those crowing about only 60,000 deaths as a reflection of how well the administration is doing. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Rougarou said:

Black Swan events as we know them consist of the three components. I see the third component a lot on this board:

1) Impossible to predict

2) Wide-reaching and wide impact of consequences

3) People will try to justify we could prevent, with a fallacy known as hindsight bias.

One of the things about a Black Swan event that hasn't been touched on is the hindsight bias that gets applied to it. If you don't like Trump it's going to be easy to go back and say, "well, if we had those people he didn't lay off, Covid-19 wouldn't have happened/would have been lessened/etc."

It feels good emotionally to lash out at the leader, and the GOP idiots would be spit roasting a Dem if a Dem were President, but equally wouldn't make a significant difference.

It's like the M&M Prop 1 of capital structure but for politics; doesn't matter the leverage, it's all the same.

Now what idiot would say that this was impossible to predict?

The official party line for Democrats from now until November should be that no matter how many people die from COVID-19, there would have been fewer deaths and less economic pain but for the incompetence of the president and his administration.

Doesn’t fit on a bumper sticker.

If we can keep it to 60,000 by August, it'll will be because of state-led leadership.

Trump didn't want to let the cruise ship in cuz numbers, he blamed Florida's outbreak on NY, he never ordered any kind of stay at home, he scoffed at wearing masks THIS WEEK. And those were just a couple off the top of my head.

Edited by Queen Bitch
"by August" bc this doesn't just go away in Aug
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, Mo Horn said:

When you don't test, or autopsy, you don't have to add them to your number. Same for those crowing about only 60,000 deaths as a reflection of how well the administration is doing. 

It's a reasonable point. But the CDC does not require a test confirmation to code COVID-19 on the death certificate as cause of death. Not sure if Texas has a different requirement in place, but I doubt it.  

5 minutes ago, victory88 said:

I stupidly venture over this forum from time to time.  It continually baffles me when I see how delusional some posters are with their constant support for Trump and his administration.  A complete disgrace to society, a complete disgrace to humanity.  I've voted red and I've voted blue.  Any sane person can see we have a moron in charge that has little to no regard for human life and human rights.  

On the bright side, the majority of people on this forum seem to see what's going on.  I just hope it translates in the polls come November.  I can't handle another 4 years with this moron in charge.  At some point it's best this country fully divides and the reasonable people can live in specific states and the moronic dweebs that follow this orange tub of lard can live in the south and continue to fuck their fat sisters.

If you want to be further baffled go check out the DT version of this thread.

10 minutes ago, victory88 said:

I stupidly venture over this forum from time to time.  It continually baffles me when I see how delusional some posters are with their constant support for Trump and his administration.  A complete disgrace to society, a complete disgrace to humanity.  I've voted red and I've voted blue.  Any sane person can see we have a moron in charge that has little to no regard for human life and human rights.  

On the bright side, the majority of people on this forum seem to see what's going on.  I just hope it translates in the polls come November.  I can't handle another 4 years with this moron in charge.  At some point it's best this country fully divides and the reasonable people can live in specific states and the moronic dweebs that follow this orange tub of lard can live in the south and continue to fuck their fat sisters.

You bite your tongue, the man is a goddamn saint! 

Yes - state lockdowns and social distancing is working.
Banning air travel from China - but allowing so many exceptions that 400k + made it into the US did fuck-all.  Also - pretending like it wasn't going to come here and then doing nothing to prepare the country is the opposite of 'knowing what he's doing'.
The actual adults in charge of their individual states (or Mayors in Texas' case) are the ones who turned this around.
No, no, no. When will you libs learn it was Trump? His leadership forced governors and mayors to take action. He also made the sun come up this morning.

19 minutes ago, victory88 said:

Biden isn’t a good choice. I think you’re gonna be disappointed 

Do you not realize that you your words present you as one of the dumbest fuckers on all of Surly? This has nothing to do with politics there are conservative posters here that are clearly intelligent. You are not one of those posters. I really don't mean this as an insult but based on your opinions,  you appear to be really fucking stupid.

Better than being a lib. Now watch how hard I can punch my own balls!

Trump will never get credit from the TDS deranged lunatics on this board.  But the majority of Americans will consider it a huge win if the current model projection of 60,000 deaths comes to fruition.
Trump will get all the credit he deserves, and you will spend a lot of time telling your grandchildren how everyone else had it all wrong.

Just now, Spankytoes said:

Didn’t say that. But Trump has the mental cognizance to remember that he is the leader, unlike Biden.  

Are you fucking serious? Did you just use the words "mental cognizance" and Trump together in a sentence without any irony? What is wrong with you?

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Spankytoes said:

Didn’t say that. But Trump has the mental cognizance to remember that he is the leader, unlike Biden.  

The leader that takes no responsibility at all?

Biden is fine.  Trump is the worst of all.  You are fucking blind.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Spankytoes said:

Be honest, no judgement, have you seen any recent clips of Biden that were longer than 10 seconds?  Did you watch his interview with Cuomo last night?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Chuckie Finster said:

Be honest, no judgement, have you seen any recent clips of Biden that were longer than 10 seconds?  Did you watch his interview with Cuomo last night?

Of course not. He's just regurgitating Trump campaign talking pints. 

• Like 1

Just now, Chuckie Finster said:

I can only assume he asked Cuomo who he worked for, called him a stupid fucking nickname, told him he was a 3rd rate reporter from a failing network, told him he knows better than doctors and that we need to open the country soon no matter how many people it kills.  Because that's what true leadership looks like.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Chuckie Finster said:

or, you know, watch trump say we were halting funding to the who, then minutes later say that he never said that thing?

trump doesn't even know what he is saying minute to minute. 

the lengths that people will stretch to defend trump are a fucking sight to behold.

• Like 4

47 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

what's going on with the numbers?

cnn has 12.9k and worldo is over 14.2k

It's just the vagaries of when they update state counts.  They'll fluctuate for days, actually.

By the way, 12.9K was approximately yesterday's total number.

If GRhorn really is a physician, I'd put money on him being this guy:

AUSTIN, Texas (AP) A Houston doctor who's a Republican National Committee member says he is using an anti-malaria drug to treat some of more than 80 people infected at a Texas nursing home.

Dr. Robin Armstrong said Tuesday that he's using the drug hydroxychloroquine on nearly 30 residents.

President Donald Trump has heavily promoted the drug in the face of a rising death toll in the U.S.

Armstrong said it's too early to tell whether the treatment is working in Texas but says he probably wouldn't have been able to access the drug if Mr. Trump hadn't been talking about it so much.

https://www.kwtx.com/content/news/Trump-allies-put-unproven-virus-drug-to-work-in-Texas-569454861.html

• Like 1

On 4/6/2020 at 10:35 PM, Francisco 2.0 said:

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

WTF does Navarro know about souls?  

20 hours ago, elfenix said:

if any one thing sticks around after this, it should be liquor delivery.

I went to Discount Tire yesterday to get a flat repaired.  I stayed in the car from check-in through completion.  Was pretty neat, actually.  It's good to see how businesses are adapting.  Of course I am sure their insurers wouldn't be happy, but better to allow a little extra risk than have a customer go belly up.  Tipped the guys for their beer fund. 

15 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

Yep.

Although that article just mentions the McKessons of the world, it appears that there are about 6-8 approved manufacturers in the US.

McKesson got real dirty during the height of the opioid mess.  They are a wholesale drug distributor.  Not a manufacturer.    Now they might own one or more generic companies overseas.

40 minutes ago, Spankytoes said:

Yes the guy that stands behind a podium and speaks authentic frontier gibberish (He talks just like us!) is the one acting like a leader. 

• Like 2

FWIW - 

Methodist Hospital system in Houston just told their doctors they have a week of PPE left.  OB/Gyn and Anesthesiologists are getting one set a day from this point forward - otherwise expected to provide their own.  About to get really bad in Houston and SW suburbs. 

10 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

FWIW - 

Methodist Hospital system in Houston just told their doctors they have a week of PPE left.  OB/Gyn and Anesthesiologists are getting one set a day from this point forward - otherwise expected to provide their own.  About to get really bad in Houston and SW suburbs. 

what is going on in houston/texas?

since i'm bored out of my mind and a numbers guy, i've been monitoring the stats on several levels, and one of the glimmers of hope is that california and texas have been performing well based on several metrics.  considering size/pop of both, numbers are fairly moderate (after ca's early outbreak).  deaths per millions are among the lowest, and for the most part, "new cases" has been behind other metro areas or states with lower overall numbers.  all good signs.

but i worry about testing.  california has been slow to get results, so day-to-day numbers have been a little inconsistent.  based on anecdotal shit here and from friends/relatives, it seems like parts of texas were slow to stay-at-home, so i wonder if there's trouble looming below the surface.

any insight into this?