CR: COVID-19 --Political Talk

Mrs Whiggins

Thought this was an excellent place to point out the contrast between Fauci and the gelatinous blob of self-absorbed narcissistic sociopath that somehow occupies the White House.  From the super lefty commies over at Forbes: https://www.forbes.com/sites/williammeehan/2020/04/08/anthony-s-fauci-md-man-for-others-servant-leader/?fbclid=IwAR0yen9LBUhHvEPR385mOCW7k_xy2Zc9Ac7Ea9x-ZfULDIRUa7TgIvmWSdI#6a1dcda172be

“The servant-leader is servant first… It begins with the natural feeling that one wants to serve, to serve first. Then conscious choice brings one to aspire to lead. That person is sharply different from one who is leader first, perhaps because of the need to assuage an unusual power drive or to acquire material possessions…The leader-first and the servant-first are two extreme types. Between them there are shadings and blends that are part of the infinite variety of human nature.

“The difference manifests itself in the care taken by the servant-first to make sure that other people’s highest priority needs are being served. The best test, and difficult to administer, is: Do those served grow as persons? Do they, while being served, become healthier, wiser, freer, more autonomous, more likely themselves to become servants? And, what is the effect on the least privileged in society? Will they benefit or at least not be further deprived?“

A servant-leader focuses primarily on the growth and well-being of people and the communities to which they belong. While traditional leadership generally involves the accumulation and exercise of power by one at the “top of the pyramid,” servant leadership is different. The servant-leader shares power, puts the needs of others first and helps people develop and perform as highly as possible.”

To Dr. Anthony Fauci, Man for Others, servant leader, role model for America’s future. Truly. 

I mean, it doesn't bother me at all that the piece directly notes the "man for others" model of Jesuit education, of which Fauci is a product.  But for the love of God, look at that description.  My kingdom for a president who even understands the concept, because then he couldn't completely ignore it.  The idea is so beyond Trump's comprehension and grasp, he wouldn't even understand if someone berated him for being the opposite.

Sigh.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

Interesting phrase, "our place is to preserve and protect the American taxpayers." What if someone isn't a taxpayer? Are they not worth protecting as Americans?

GOP moralizes about paying taxes while protecting a narcissist leader who won't release his own tax returns and has said that he doesn't pay taxes because he's "smart".

They are a cancer. 

• Like 6

In his April 4 press conference announcing the decision on Crozier, Acting Secretary Modly noted that the leaked letter was published in Crozier’s “hometown newspaper” (The San Francisco Chronicle, over 50 miles from Crozier's native Santa Rosa). The insinuation was clear and dishonorable, a blatant attempt to assassinate a man’s character without facts to support it. He later apologized and admitted that he does not know who leaked the letter — that we may never know.

---

The acting secretary has no idea who leaked the letter. If he did have facts, we would know this. Throughout this situation he has displayed a telltale pattern: He makes a strong categorical statement that portrays Crozier in the most negative light, only to walk it back to more general terrain under questioning. For example, after accusing Capt. Crozier of going outside his chain of command in his Pentagon press conference Thursday, he was then forced to admit that yes, the memo had been sent to the CO’s chain of command. This led to the absurdity of an incredulous reporter asking, “Is he being relieved because he cc’d too many people?”

https://www.usatoday.com/story/opinion/2020/04/07/navy-fired-defamed-my-friend-over-coronavirus-letter-column/2960627001/

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

Thought this was an excellent place to point out the contrast between Fauci and the gelatinous blob of self-absorbed narcissistic sociopath that somehow occupies the White House.  From the super lefty commies over at Forbes: https://www.forbes.com/sites/williammeehan/2020/04/08/anthony-s-fauci-md-man-for-others-servant-leader/?fbclid=IwAR0yen9LBUhHvEPR385mOCW7k_xy2Zc9Ac7Ea9x-ZfULDIRUa7TgIvmWSdI#6a1dcda172be

I mean, it doesn't bother me at all that the piece directly notes the "man for others" model of Jesuit education, of which Fauci is a product.  But for the love of God, look at that description.  My kingdom for a president who even understands the concept, because then he couldn't completely ignore it.  The idea is so beyond Trump's comprehension and grasp, he wouldn't even understand if someone berated him for being the opposite.

Sigh.

Pretty much the definition of statesman, it seems.  Always a big shortage of those, sadly.

At this point it should be debated whether or not Trump is intentionally trying to destroy the country.

I tend to think perhaps not because its a result of his severe mental disorder. But it is open for debate. It could be his severe mental disorder wants to destroy the country. 

Whatever the case, the country will never recover until he is no longer the president. Never. 

• Like 7

23 hours ago, GRHorn said:

Don’t be such a twat. In vitro tests showed effectiveness. Voluntary castration has not. People are desperate. China tried it. There’s several reasons that clinicians are rolling with it. 

As far as dire side effects go, the only ones that are really being seen in significant numbers are arrhythmias that are being attributed to azithromycin. But again maybe @UDontKnow can tell me about how I don’t know what the fuck is going on.

Hey Doc.

Does Trump have narcissistic personality disorder? Yes or no. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Anastasis said:

One of the most pristine examples you will ever see. His picture should be in the DSM. 

Thanks. I figured you would come through. 

Its why I don’t believe we will get through and solve this problem this until he’s no longer the president. I would love to have Pence be the president right now, because despite his faults, he isn’t a textbook case of what is the worse disorder to have as the president at this point in time. We got lucky the last 3 years. Not so much now. 

Just now, Anastasis said:

Still thinking maybe you come through with citations on testing rates in pandemic models.  

LOL. No I am not. 

Dude I’m busy. I haven’t forgotten. I promise to get back to you. Why I should actually care is a mystery, but whatever. 

28 minutes ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

wtf?

Well, I guess Texas will be at the forefront of getting people tested then? Abbott? Patrick? This is more important than those bathrooms don't ya think? Oh that's right, Americans are fighting a war against an invisible enemy for the economy. Our leader, President Bone Spurs, would like Americans to make every sacrifice for the proud and beautiful 401Ks, for the unemployment, SS, and healthcare we can no longer receive. Even as Americans die alone and loved ones mourn outside the hospital walls and medical staff begin each day hoping they, too, will survive, the sacrifice is not made in vain. More Americans dying creates opportunities for jobs! Opportunities for less pay! Opportunities for fewer benefits! Opportunities to not notice that the GOP has solidified and consolidated its power and wealth into a fortress impenetrable by the sick and the poor and the dead. No COVID medal for having served your country, though. Medals are for winners.

4 minutes ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

Well, I guess Texas will be at the forefront of getting people tested then? Abbott? Patrick? This is more important than those bathrooms don't ya think? Oh that's right, Americans are fighting a war against an invisible enemy for the economy. Our leader, President Bone Spurs, would like Americans to make every sacrifice for the proud and beautiful 401Ks, for the unemployment, SS, and healthcare we can no longer receive. Even as Americans die alone and loved ones mourn outside the hospital walls and medical staff begin each day hoping they, too, will survive, the sacrifice is not made in vain. More Americans dying creates opportunities for jobs! Opportunities for less pay! Opportunities for fewer benefits! Opportunities to not notice that the GOP has solidified and consolidated its power and wealth into a fortress impenetrable by the sick and the poor and the dead. No COVID medal for having served your country, though. Medals are for winners.

Everybody should get back to work so the stock market can go up again. Yeah some of you will die but most of you won’t. Its like the Russians defending Stalingrad, just not as many deaths. 

12 minutes ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

dude. shut the fuck up. in this reality, now, your bullshit doesn't matter. we're all trying to cope. we don't need you piling on with your one-ups and gotchas. I would prefer not to put you on ignore. thanks.

Do you even have a job?

2 hours ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

wtf?

I can't quite figure out what this means.  It seems to refer only to places where you get a q-tip jammed up your nose, not where the samples are analyzed.

It says they will transition to state management, but doesn't say funding is withdrawn or anything.

Not exactly a marvel of clarity from NPR.

2 hours ago, JimmyJames said:

Hey professor. Does Trump have narcissistic personality disorder? Yes or no.

He has textbook Narcissistic Personality Disorder, as Anastasis has noted. Sadly that's not uncommon in many high level politicians. And while it's been my contention that most high-level politicians also have higher levels of psychopathy (narcissism, glibness, lying easily, shallow emotions) than the general population, what separates Trump from the others is his malignancy with these characterological deficits. He's a 10 out of 10 on both. He's a narcissist's narcissist and psychopath's psychopath. He also embodies the scarier facets of narcissism and psychopathy -- winning at all costs, reveling in others' despair, callousness, law breaking, and a sense of divine purpose that borders on delusional. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Bama Chick said:

Damn

My church was doing their weekly Wednesday Bible study on Zoom and one member who does our health ministry at church (Baptist church so we have a ministry for EVERYTHING) also works in a hospital and said that they had 17 patients being treated in her particular part of the hospital and the codes kept going off for them over and over Tuesday night apparently. You could hear in her voice how sad she was. I believe she said 8 or 9 of them passed away. The mental stress of being in that environment is something I cannot even begin to imagine.

All I can do is pray for the nurses, doctors and other folks there who are trying to save lives while seeing people dying all around them right now. It's just so sad. We are going to wind up seeing a slew of suicides from people in the healthcare profession because of what they are dealing with if we do not get them some counseling and therapy. If this was any other government I would think we would probably try and provide them with some free services, but with this one I feel many will just be on their own to deal with the immense tragedy they are witnessing everyday.

Edited by UpperWestside
  • Like 5

That bump for Trump is gone. A lot of interesting information from this YouGov/Yahoo News poll.  Worth reading. Here are some highlights:

After a brief period during which some polls found more Americans approving of Trump's coronavirus response than not, half of them (50 percent) now disapprove, according to the Yahoo News/YouGov survey, compared to only 42 percent who approve. Among registered voters, that gap is even wider: 54 percent disapprove vs. 43 percent approve.

Likewise, only 38 percent of Americans are satisfied the Trump administration is doing everything it can to stop the virus; 47 percent say they are not satisfied. That spread — 9 percentage points — has more than doubled over the last two weeks.

Of those who have heard from the president in the last seven days, a full 56 percent rate his performance as either fair or poor. Wide majorities also believe the president is doing only a fair or poor job on a variety of leadership metrics, including unifying the country (59 percent fair or poor); organizing the government’s response (56 percent fair or poor); communicating with the public (55 percent fair or poor); listening to scientists (57 percent fair or poor); relating to problems faced by average Americans (58 percent fair or poor); and taking bold actions (53 percent fair or poor). Each of those ratings has worsened since the previous Yahoo News/YouGov poll was conducted in late March.

Part of the reason for that decline may be that Americans increasingly blame Trump for the vast scale of the U.S. coronavirus outbreak. Asked how much the president could have reduced the damage if he’d acted sooner, 65 percent said “a lot” (40 percent) or “somewhat” (25 percent). Only 36 percent said “slightly” (14 percent) or not at all (22 percent). Likewise, the percentage of Americans who say the Trump administration was not adequately prepared to deal with the deadly pathogen has risen from 51 percent a month ago to 63 percent today, while the percentage who say the administration was adequately prepared has fallen from 30 percent to 22 percent.

That’s a net shift of 20 percentage points — and it has been driven mostly by Republicans. One month ago, 15 percent of Republicans told Yahoo News and YouGov that the administration was not adequately prepared for the pandemic. Today, after the president has stopped dismissing the threat of the coronavirus and started predicting as many as 240,000 Americans could die from it, nearly twice as many Republicans (29 percent) think his administration did not adequately prepare.

More Americans than not — 45 percent to 32 percent — also say government officials should not encourage the use of hydroxychloroquine

• Like 4