CR: COVID-19 --Political Talk

Mrs Whiggins

14 minutes ago, Hornius Emeritus said:

I couldn't get past "it's our money ... we pay that money in taxes every single fuckin' day."

Uh, no.  We're borrowing that money and the deficit this year will be at least 4 trillion dollars and maybe a lot more.

And who's on the hook for paying it back?  Remember when the deficit mattered?  Like 4 years ago?

Maybe if the government didn't throw money around like @Vic Mackey at the Crazy Lady, we wouldn't have to borrow money all the time.

1 hour ago, Message Board User said:

The difference between Republican and Democratic messaging.  If the roles were reversed, Fox News would lead every hour with the "Hydrochloroquine Hydro-Scandal!"  And they would have daily updates from famous Dr.'s (Oz, Phil, Dre, Quinn Medicine Woman) explaining how the President should be in jail for this misinformation.

• Like 3

This admin is so fucking incompetent...so instead of following the WHO guidlines for testing like every other fucking country, we decide to go it alone and they didn't fucking work....well, at least now we know why they didn't work...

CDC’s failed coronavirus tests were tainted with coronavirus, feds confirm

As the new coronavirus took root across America, the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention sent states tainted test kits in early February that were themselves seeded with the virus, federal officials have confirmed.

The contamination made the tests uninterpretable, and—because testing is crucial for containment efforts—it lost the country invaluable time to get ahead of the advancing pandemic.

The CDC had been vague about what went wrong with the tests, initially only saying that “a problem in the manufacturing of one of the reagents” had led to the failure. Subsequent reporting suggested that the problem was with a negative control—that is, a part of the test meant to be free of any trace of the coronavirus as a critical reference for confirming that the test was working properly overall.

Now, according to investigation results reported by The New York Times, federal officials confirm that sloppy laboratory practices at two of three CDC labs involved in the tests’ creation led to contamination of the tests and their uninterpretable results.

Spoiler

As the new coronavirus took root across America, the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention sent states tainted test kits in early February that were themselves seeded with the virus, federal officials have confirmed.

The contamination made the tests uninterpretable, and—because testing is crucial for containment efforts—it lost the country invaluable time to get ahead of the advancing pandemic.

The CDC had been vague about what went wrong with the tests, initially only saying that “a problem in the manufacturing of one of the reagents” had led to the failure. Subsequent reporting suggested that the problem was with a negative control—that is, a part of the test meant to be free of any trace of the coronavirus as a critical reference for confirming that the test was working properly overall.

Now, according to investigation results reported by The New York Times, federal officials confirm that sloppy laboratory practices at two of three CDC labs involved in the tests’ creation led to contamination of the tests and their uninterpretable results.

“Just tragic”

Shortly after the problems became apparent in early February, the Food and Drug Administration sent Timothy Stenzel, chief of in vitro diagnostics and radiological health, to the CDC to investigate what was going wrong. According to the Times, he found a lack of coordination and inexperience in commercial manufacturing.

Problems that led to the contamination included researchers coming and going from labs working on the test kits without changing their coats and researchers sharing lab space to both assemble test components and handle samples containing the coronavirus.

The CDC said in a statement Saturday to the Times that the agency “did not manufacture its test consistent with its own protocol.” Though the CDC appeared reluctant to admit contamination was at the root of the problem, the Times noted that in a separate statement the CDC seemed to acknowledge such problems, saying the agency has since “implemented enhanced quality control to address the issue and will be assessing the issue moving forward.”

After the CDC first sent its test kit to states in early February, it took the agency around a month to fix the problem. By then, the virus had invaded many communities unimpeded, and any chance that the US had at containing its spread had virtually vanished. By mid-March, many states turned to mitigation efforts, such as social distancing, to try to blunt—rather than prevent—the life-threatening, healthcare-overwhelming effects of COVID-19.

“It was just tragic,” Scott Becker, executive director of the Association of Public Health Laboratories, told the Times. “All that time when we were sitting there waiting, I really felt like, here we were at one of the most critical junctures in public health history, and the biggest tool in our toolbox was missing.”

As of the morning of April 20, the US has confirmed more than 760,000 cases of COVID-19 and more than 40,700 deaths. The numbers are expected to be underestimates due to the slow and still limited amount of testing.

Edited by DixonHur

The difference between Republican and Democratic messaging.  If the roles were reversed, Fox News would lead every hour with the "Hydrochloroquine Hydro-Scandal!"  And they would have daily updates from famous Dr.'s (Oz, Phil, Dre, Quinn Medicine Woman) explaining how the President should be in jail for this misinformation.

The president was standing at the podium yelling “just take it!”. Talking about an untested drug. Already gone and forgotten.

21 minutes ago, DixonHur said:

This admin is so fucking incompetent...so instead of following the WHO guidlines for testing like every other fucking country, we decide to go it alone and they didn't fucking work....well, at least now we know why they didn't work...

CDC’s failed coronavirus tests were tainted with coronavirus, feds confirm

Hide contents

“Just tragic”

Shortly after the problems became apparent in early February, the Food and Drug Administration sent Timothy Stenzel, chief of in vitro diagnostics and radiological health, to the CDC to investigate what was going wrong. According to the Times, he found a lack of coordination and inexperience in commercial manufacturing.

Problems that led to the contamination included researchers coming and going from labs working on the test kits without changing their coats and researchers sharing lab space to both assemble test components and handle samples containing the coronavirus.

The CDC said in a statement Saturday to the Times that the agency “did not manufacture its test consistent with its own protocol.” Though the CDC appeared reluctant to admit contamination was at the root of the problem, the Times noted that in a separate statement the CDC seemed to acknowledge such problems, saying the agency has since “implemented enhanced quality control to address the issue and will be assessing the issue moving forward.”

After the CDC first sent its test kit to states in early February, it took the agency around a month to fix the problem. By then, the virus had invaded many communities unimpeded, and any chance that the US had at containing its spread had virtually vanished. By mid-March, many states turned to mitigation efforts, such as social distancing, to try to blunt—rather than prevent—the life-threatening, healthcare-overwhelming effects of COVID-19.

“It was just tragic,” Scott Becker, executive director of the Association of Public Health Laboratories, told the Times. “All that time when we were sitting there waiting, I really felt like, here we were at one of the most critical junctures in public health history, and the biggest tool in our toolbox was missing.”

As of the morning of April 20, the US has confirmed more than 760,000 cases of COVID-19 and more than 40,700 deaths. The numbers are expected to be underestimates due to the slow and still limited amount of testing.

It’s almost like we should have expected such incompetence when this country voted in a fucking fraud as president

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

That 60K projection by August is going to be blown out of the water by next week.

We're going to be at 60k by the end of this month most likely or very close, almost certainly by May 5th.  We're a little over 43k now.  By May, more Americans will have died from COV than the Vietnam War.

14 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

We're going to be at 60k by the end of this month most likely or very close, almost certainly by May 5th.  We're a little over 43k now.  By May, more Americans will have died from COV than the Vietnam War.

We are probably over 60k now, if we included estimates.  Trumpstains like to compare it against the flu.  The annual flu fatalities are based on estimates, not doing an autopsy on every victim.  So, we are comparing different diseases with vastly different approaches to measurements.  

1 hour ago, DixonHur said:

And who's on the hook for paying it back?  Remember when the deficit mattered?  Like 4 years ago?

Maybe if the government didn't throw money around like @Vic Mackey at the Crazy Lady, we wouldn't have to borrow money all the time.

And, we mostly are borrowing it from ourselves, so I feel like his statement is pretty fucking accurate. 

22 minutes ago, 4th&Five said:

Don’t forget the projections for 60,000 were for August. 

To be fair, we aren't that far off the most recent IHME trajectory. 60,000 by August, but 50K+ is predicted by the end of the month. Unfortunately, I fear the tail is going to be a lot longer than the IHME projection, mainly because I'm pretty sure the IHME projection is mostly garbage. It relies fairly heavily on the reporting by China. While not all that data may  be complete garbage, the case and death curves almost certainly are. 

garbage_math.png

Edited by Dahobbs
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, elfenix said:

i love when i have a case on my side tho.  particularly when it's from either the houston CoAs or dallas.  people don't seem to give a shit about eastland. 

I don't do enough state court practice, but back in the day Eastland was esteemed and Houston 1st, but not 14th.  This in Dallas and Tarrant County courts.

Trump thinks you look it up in some book of laws.

6 minutes ago, BrickHorn said:

I’d amend that to “If you vote for this man in 2020...”  Some 2016 Trump voters have realized their mistake and deeply regret it.  

I did not vote for the sumbitch in 2016.  I did come closer to giving him the benefit of the doubt than I did Hillary (mostly post-election) and was proven massively wrong (or right, because I despised both of them about equally).

Jumping geebus on a pogo stick.

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Like 3

10 minutes ago, BrickHorn said:

I’d amend that to “If you vote for this man in 2020...”  Some 2016 Trump voters have realized their mistake and deeply regret it.  

I don't know about that.  2016 voters knew what they were getting.  He is behaving as advertized. He wasn't any different on the campaign trail than he is now. Even before then, he was all into the birther nonsense. But it really goes all the way back to at least the Central Park 5.  

I'm glad some 2016 voters are coming to their senses, but they can't say they were duped. You can hate Hillary all you want.  She was a bad candidate, but she wasn't an open racist and conperson. 

Edited by FondrenRoad
  • Like 5

8 minutes ago, FondrenRoad said:

I don't know about that.  2016 voters knew what they were getting.  He is behaving as advertized. He wasn't any different on the campaign trail than he is now. Even before then, he was all into the birther nonsense. But it really goes all the way back to at least the Central Park 5.  

I'm glad some 2016 voters are coming to their senses, but they can't say they were duped. You can hate Hillary all you want.  She was a bad candidate, but she wasn't an open racist and conperson. 

I agree.

A large slice of our country is religious, non-college educated racists. It isn't about the economy to them. It isn't about healthcare to them. They've been riding the GOP crazy train straight to hell for decades, even though it goes against their own best interests.

They hate non-white people. They want a xenophobic leader who blames non-white people. They will never abandon Trump. 

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, DigDug said:

That is just pathetic 

The way to finish this guy off is for everyone to just completely ignore him for a week.  Let the watchdogs do their job to keep an eye on his nefarious dealings, but everyone else just ignore him.  No one shows up at press conferences except his toadies, his twitter followers drop off, nobody watches his briefings.   No responses, no questions, only his cult would be following him, and that wouldn't be enough.  The way to destroy a narcissist is to make him/her irrelevant.  To work around them.  That's what's happening now, but it needs to be sped up.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

I did not vote for the sumbitch in 2016.  I did come closer to giving him the benefit of the doubt than I did Hillary (mostly post-election) and was proven massively wrong (or right, because I despised both of them about equally).

Jumping geebus on a pogo stick.

I expected him to be a shitty President but damn he has far exceeded my expectations and went straight into an indescribable level of awfulness.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, pyrohornIII said:

The way to finish this guy off is for everyone to just completely ignore him for a week.  Let the watchdogs do their job to keep an eye on his nefarious dealings, but everyone else just ignore him.  No one shows up at press conferences except his toadies, his twitter followers drop off, nobody watches his briefings.   No responses, no questions, only his cult would be following him, and that wouldn't be enough.  The way to destroy a narcissist is to make him/her irrelevant.  To work around them.  That's what's happening now, but it needs to be sped up.

He has a sick symbiotic relationship with the media. He thrives off of the attention and they financially thrive off giving him the attention. The demand to hate-watch Trump is too big to not cover him.

1 hour ago, FondrenRoad said:

To me the only reason he won in 2016 was because there were tons of Democrats that really did not like Hillary so they did not even vote.

That will not be the case in November.

Biden will crush him.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, FondrenRoad said:

I’m not saying they were duped or that they are blameless.  I’m saying: people make mistakes and some people are willing and able to recognize those mistakes and adjust their behavior.  Don’t lump reformed Trump voters in with the “assholes.”

Were they stupid, gullible, lacking in judgment, or otherwise flawed?  Yeah.  But they’re willing to do the right thing NOW.  

• Like 1