CR: COVID-19 --Political Talk

Mrs Whiggins

We can't contact trace because Americans love freedom too much. A certain segment of the population won't wear masks during a pandemic because of freedom and how independent America is at its core.

Meanwhile the Senate passes this and we won't hear a peep from these freedom fighters.

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/jgxxvk/senate-votes-to-allow-fbi-to-look-at-your-web-browsing-history-without-a-warrant

• Like 5

Sweden, the bastion of doing fuck all to cut down on the 'Rona, is now one of only 11 countries in the world with Total Cases / 1M Population > 2,500.  They also rank #9 in Deaths / 1M Population.

Yeah, as bad as we've handled things we should totally follow their dumbass direction.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

Sweden, the bastion of doing fuck all to cut down on the 'Rona, is now one of only 11 countries in the world with Total Cases / 1M Population > 2,500.  They also rank #9 in Deaths / 1M Population.

Yeah, as bad as we've handled things we should totally follow their dumbass direction.

"Let's be like Sweden."

"You mean have health care like Sweden?"

"We don't need no socialized medicine!!!"

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

Now imagine they had even half of our vulnerable population makeup wrt minorities, obese, etc.  

10 hours ago, lemonlime said:

FFS. I have family there, including my sister who is a nurse just back to work after major surgery. Fucking morons.

The Wisconsin Supreme Court is a joke on par with the US Supreme Court. Lame duck Justice (and I use that term loosely) Dan Kelly, who was voted out by an overwhelming margin on April 7, was the deciding vote in a 4-3 decision that struck done Governor Evers' "Safer at Home" order. It's a complete miscarriage of justice by a couple partisan hacks.

The GOP-controlled state legislature, who only maintain control due to extreme gerrymandering, has offered fuck all when it comes to plans or ideas on how to deal with the pandemic, opting only to litigate the democratically-elected governor. It's disgusting.

70% of Wisconsinites support Evers' order and Evers has a 59% approval rating (33% disapproval). 

https://recombobulationarea.substack.com/p/5-marquette-poll-takeaways-huge-support

• Like 2

10 hours ago, GRHorn said:

Like it or not, his opinion is more influential and representative than 95% of the people whose tweets are linked here. And I say that as someone outside his core demographic. I’m too old. 

Lmao. If this person were saying we should be cautious and wear masks and open up slowly your lot would tell him to stick to sports.

• Like 5

9 hours ago, TornACL said:

Imagine that, someone involved with Barstool Sports is a total fucking moron. 

And imagine that, of course GRHorn, mouth breather extraordinaire, is a big fan. Because he's "influential"! 

In today's world, 6 year olds who pull down 8 figs to open toy boxes on YouTube are also influential. But that doesn't mean I give a fuck to hear  their thoughts on the Pandemic. 

Mouth breather extraordinaire. Props on that. I lol’d. 

Not a “big fan”. Like I said I’m too old for his core demographic. He’s a funny follow on social media though. 

I mentioned he has influence because he does. 

5 minutes ago, GRHorn said:

Not a “big fan”. Like I said I’m too old for his core demographic. He’s a funny follow on social media though. 

You would think people would want to listen to even semi-knowledgeable opinions from doctors, economists, etc.  But sure, # of twitter followers is probably important too.  What does Kim Kardashian think we should do?

9 hours ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

I don’t feel good about this Burr news at all.  He runs the Senate Intelligence Committee.  

Chances he will be brought to justice in this administration: 0

Saw a few tweets talking about this being punishment for Burr not protecting Trump and using his role as Chairman of the Select Committee on Intelligence to kill the 'Russia Report'.  If Loeffler isn't investigated I think it makes it pretty clear that Burr was targeted for his perceived 'disloyalty'.

• Like 1

Just now, TXSG8R said:

You would think people would want to listen to even semi-knowledgeable opinions from doctors, economists, etc.  But sure, # of twitter followers is probably important too.  What does Kim Kardashian think we should do?

It’s potentially a signpost on public sentiment shifting. 

I’m sure there were plenty of doctors and officials (and experts here) who were sure that opening up in Georgia and Florida and here would lead to flare ups in the virus. And it hasn’t happened yet. In reality, no one should state anything about Coronavirus with 100% certainty. 

People in more locked down regions of the country are going to see other places open successfully and wonder why they aren’t doing something similar. 

1 hour ago, 406W30th said:

Stick to sports imo

No, we only say that to black athletes who don't subscribe to our version of politics. If they agree with us, we let them speak and encourage it as "a breath of fresh air" or "telling it like it is". 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, 4th&Five said:

Other solutions? Like Lysol?

I don't know if everyone has the same twitter view, but these two back to back made me laugh.

Replying to
He is the guy that basically said you ignored the warnings of Coronavirus and are the reason 84,000 plus are dead. He needs to stay in government. You don’t, impeached asshole.

11 minutes ago, GRHorn said:

People in more locked down regions of the country are going to see other places open successfully and wonder why they aren’t doing something similar. 

Because Waverly, Nebraska isn't Los Angeles? Because New York has a population dependent upon public transportation but Colorado Springs is less so? Because even a town the size of College Station/Bryan has a unique demographic wherein they have a dominant portion of the population that skews younger combined with a growing retirement population (think: Mother Ship) and their hospitals serve something like 7 counties I think? Not sure on that one, I picked them because they aren't a large metro like San Antonio. I would hope that people could compare and contrast and note unique differences among communities. Alas, my hopes are dashed. The entire time folks are doing this, they are spending most of the time looking for data/opinions that support their beliefs/wants/needs. Truly dispassionate IMO, one would not ask, "why are we not like X," but "what is the optimal way for our community to open based on these particular factors and taking these other particular factors into consideration?"

Otherwise, it has a little Veruka Salt vibe going on. "I want it. I want it now!"

23 minutes ago, TXSG8R said:

Geeze. Don't you know that Diamond and Silk already told us to do whatever we want?

Edited by Mrs Whiggins
Grammar, caught it!
  • Like 1

52 minutes ago, Post Oak said:

If you vote for Republicans people are gonna die

You mean a lot of deaths like in New York?

Fun, funky stat I heard on podcast this morning.  There are 21 states with Republican governors and Republicans controlling both houses of State Legislatures. All 21 of those states have deaths per million rates below the national average. Is that because of their political affiliation? No. 

Is New York by far the worst state because Cuomo and DeBlasio are Ds? No. 

So, maybe political affiliation of leadership is a little further down the list of factors influencing corona deaths?

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, GRHorn said:

I’m sure there were plenty of doctors and officials (and experts here) who were sure that opening up in Georgia and Florida and here would lead to flare ups in the virus. And it hasn’t happened yet. In reality, no one should state anything about Coronavirus with 100% certainty. 

Or its a signpost that the guy that talks about sports for a living really wants sports to return, so his opinion is purely motivated by personal need and has nothing remotely to do with whether opening is safe or realistic?  Guess what, a lot of mouth breather sports fans would be willing to sacrifice grandma so they can watch football again, that doesn't mean public sentiment is right.  

As its been stated ad nauseum, most people aren't advocating for a binary open/close solution.  You want to open the hair salon and steak house in Santa Anna Texas that has zero cases?  Makes sense.  Should Atlanta Georgia open their hair salons and sit down restaurants despite their ICU beds almost being at capacity and still not showing a decline?  Probably not.  State numbers aren't a great indicator, and Georgia is a perfect example.  From a state perspective, they are getting better.  If you zero in on Atlanta, they are approaching a tipping point in medical capacity. 

That's the rub though, right?  No one gives a fuck about rural Georgia or Texas being open, it HAS to be Atlanta and other urban centers because that's where the real money is.  That's also the greatest risk for spikes and outbreaks, and why most of those mayors want to take it slower.  Small gov't, keep it local Republicans don't seem to be as concerned about overriding mayors to get their way though on this though.  

• Like 5

21 minutes ago, GRHorn said:

If by 'public senitment' you mean racists/misogynists like Portnoy - sure.  I'll buy that.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Bateshorn said:

If the juxtaposition of a GOP state court limiting the power of an executive   Vis-a-vis the legislature while the Supreme Court leaned towards giving the President partial to total immunity from congressional investigation doesn’t show the inherent hypocrisy and bald faced political opportunism of GOP politics,  I’m not sure anything does.

I'm going to take some issue with this, as the US Supreme Court has yet to lean that way.  The only one leaning that way so far is the DC Circuit with the McGahn decision, based on political question, not executive immunity.

There is a delicious or disgusting irony in the federal GOP accreting power to the executive, as well as the GOP inthe state of Texas, but not in the state of Wisconsin.

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Like 1

Too old to be a fan, as if there's some rule against that, but definitely in touch enough to know whether or not he has any influence. Okay.

No one under the age of 30 knows who the CEO of barstool is. No one over the age of 30 knows who the CEO of barstool is. Barstool is for dumb funny shit. No one cares who the CEO of Barstool is. But yes, he made a video on Twitter and has some followers so he is obviously very influential!!!!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TwiceHorn said:

I'm going to take some issue with this, as the US Supreme Court has yet to lean that way.  The only one leaning that way so far is the DC Circuit with the McGahn decision, based on political question, not executive immunity.

There is a delicious or disgusting irony in the federal GOP accreting power to the executive, as well as the state of Texas, but not in the state of Wisconsin.

While the decisions on tax returns is pending,  I would describe the majorities comments on the strong past precedent of deference to Congressional investigative authority as negative in arguments this week. 

30 minutes ago, 4th&Five said:

Other solutions? Like Lysol?

It's so hard not to laugh at Dotard's tweets because he is the dumbest fucking human being to ever hold the most powerful office in the world. It's like reading the thoughts of a child whose mind is a lost cause.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, UpperWestside said:

It's so hard not to laugh at Dotard's tweets because he is the dumbest fucking human being to ever hold the most powerful office in the world. It's like reading the thoughts of a child whose mind is a lost cause.

I give it 2 weeks before we see a similar tweet about Fauci.

30 minutes ago, UpperWestside said:

Can’t wait for “other solutions!”  What the fuck are those?

Just now, Pig Bellmont said:

Can’t wait for “other solutions!”  What the fuck are those?

He's gonna say "final solution" at some point. Should be good for a few laughs as we continue to confirm the lack of a bottom. [cue sad Pence pic]

• Like 2

Seems clear to me that the liberal states should start a campaign disguised as a republican talking point, which asks the federal government to stop allowing the federal government to send money to the states that didn't contribute at least as much as they are requesting.  Simplified of course.  

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Pig Bellmont said:

For those counting, GA hospitalizations up from yesterday 

For those that are pointing to Georgia as some kind of good news story on reopening.

https://www.ajc.com/news/state--regional-govt--politics/just-cuckoo-state-latest-data-mishap-causes-critics-cry-foul/182PpUvUX9XEF8vO11NVGO/

In the latest bungling of tracking data for the novel coronavirus, a recently posted bar chart on the Georgia Department of Public Health’s website appeared to show good news: new confirmed cases in the counties with the most infections had dropped every single day for the past two weeks.In fact, there was no clear downward trend. The data is still preliminary, and cases have held steady or dropped slightly in the past two weeks. Experts agree that cases in those five counties were flat when Georgia began to reopen late last month.

It said the state is experiencing “a welcome trend of declining new cases and deaths.”In fact, seven-day rolling averages of cases show only a slight decline over two weeks. Deaths appear to have plateaued, according to an Atlanta Journal-Constitution analysis of daily DPH reports. The impact of reopening Georgia’s economy is still too early to measure for both new infections and deaths because of the lag time between an infection, testing, diagnosis and, potentially, death. The latest flubbed chart lists case counts from the most recent 14 days, but data collection lags and a quirk in the state’s method of recording cases mean that counts for recent dates are often a fraction of what they turn out to be when the data is more complete.“You really don’t want to be using very recent data to make decisions, given those delays,” said Benjamin Lopman, an infectious disease epidemiologist and an expert on using statistical analysis and other tools to address public health issues.

When the pandemic began, the agency assigned a date to a case based on the day results came into its office. Starting in late April, DPH added charts that date a new coronavirus case back to the day a patient said symptoms started. If that data isn’t reported, DPH substitutes the date the test sample was collected or when it was received results.But because it can take weeks for case information to come in, the new method always appears to show that cases are declining, even if they are not. The charts that used it stirred suspicion and confusion, and ran afoul of principles for communicating during a public health crisis, experts said.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, TXSG8R said:

For those that are pointing to Georgia as some kind of good news story on reopening.

......The charts that used it stirred suspicion and confusion, and ran afoul of principles for communicating during a public health crisis, experts said.

Governor Kemp:

giphy.gif