CR: COVID-19 --Political Talk

Mrs Whiggins

29 minutes ago, Post Oak said:

She's not. She's an opportunist and a grifter.

Dumb people are the most valuable commodity in the world.  

She got plenty more from electronic panhandling (gofundme) than she ever will from the stimulus packages.  Best part is the internet begging money doesn't have to be paid back, didn't cost me a dime and puts the deplorables that contributed a couple of dollars closer to the brink of disaster.

Every little bit helps.  Hopefully there are more maskless martyrs soon.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Message Board User said:

Not surprised that the Democrats would do just as the GOP did - try to use this pandemic to advance pet agenda items.

The difference is that there are actually some Dems out there with a backbone willing to point this out.

The difference is the GOP gets away with it, with no blame from any Republican voters and not much from Dem voters, while the Dems don't get away with it and all Republicans and a lot of Dems voters criticize them for the attempt.

Guest Lobo
21 minutes ago, 4th&Five said:

It’s a great test you just need to double check to make sure it’s correct. 

The only test Trump ever double checked in his life was the paternity test for Ivanka.  The positive result really bummed him out, too. 

Not surprised that the Democrats would do just as the GOP did - try to use this pandemic to advance pet agenda items.
The difference is that there are actually some Dems out there with a backbone willing to point this out.

If the constituents in Oklahoma aren't going to like it, it's probably a good bill.

Regardless, it's got no chance of becoming law. It's an opening salvo in negotiations, that's all.

35 minutes ago, hayden_horn said:

birx and fauci should have been masking up for a long time now. i believe the phrase is "ostentatious demonstration" for pandemic measures. 

I completely agree.  I think they greatly undercut their own message by not wearing masks for at least several weeks.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Dbeasy said:

I’m concerned our government is completely misinterpreting the current situation and what is going to happen in the future. They are treating the whole thing as a quick little economic blip when in reality we probably have a two year plus slog through a horrible economy with millions of unemployed.

The economy is not just going to magically snap back. That isn’t how deep recessions work. You can’t just splash around some money to hope that it goes away. The economy is too big for a few trillion to work that strongly.

Now the House is proposing another $3T with another $1200-$6000 in payments. How many times are we going to give money, as opposed to employing people to get something for the money given?

Shouldn’t the government be working on a massive works program (corona safe jobs), ala FDR, so that these masses of unemployed can work with the country getting some benefit from the trillions of dollars we are giving people? The first emergency payments made sense but at some point our government needs to wake up and realize it’s not a short term problem. People want to work, so everyone wins.

I’m a hopeless optimist. I see even things as bad as this as opportunities for those who are quick enough to anticipate the drastic worldwide changes that are happening. I keep thinking...

WWII turned us from a depression into a manufacturing super power. We were all focused on one goal.

The space race set in motion the technological boom of the past several decades. Our best and brightest we’re largely focused on one goal.

Now the entire world is focused on one goal/problem. With thoughtful, forward-thinking leadership (lulz), surely the world’s only super power could position ourselves for long lasting prosperity from the world-changing medical breakthroughs that will be needed to win this. We should be leading the charge instead of pretending that everything hasn’t radically changed.

Edited by Mole
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, Mole said:

I’m a hopeless optimist. I see even things as bad as this as opportunities for those who are quick enough to anticipate the drastic worldwide changes that are happening. I keep thinking...

WWII turned us from a depression into a manufacturing super power. We were all focused on one goal.

The space race set in motion the technological boom of the past several decades. Our best and brightest we’re largely focused on one goal.

Now the entire world is focused on one goal/problem. With thoughtful, forward-thinking leadership (lulz), surely the world’s only super power could position ourselves for long lasting prosperity from the world-changing medical breakthroughs that will be needed to win this. We should be leading the charge instead of pretending that everything hasn’t radically changed.

If WWII happened today, half the people living in coastal cities would refuse to black out their windows or recycle their metal and silk scraps because fuck you, you can't make me. Probably half of that half would claim the bombing of Pearl Harbor was fake or staged so the govt could sell more bonds. 

• Like 7

9 minutes ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

If WWII happened today, half the people living in coastal cities would refuse to black out their windows or recycle their metal and silk scraps because fuck you, you can't make me. Probably half of that half would claim the bombing of Pearl Harbor was fake or staged so the govt could sell more bonds. 

I honestly only think there would be a consensus in the US on anything, if it had to deal with electronic devices/services not being available.

When the cartels take Covid more seriously than the local, state and federal governments in our country, you know things are fucked.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/mexicos-cartels-distribute-coronavirus-aid-to-win-support/ar-BB145xvd?utm_source=nextdraft&utm_medium=email

Mexico’s drug cartels are in a war for the hearts and minds of poor Mexicans, providing them with food and supplies as they struggle to survive the economic meltdown caused by the coronavirus pandemic.

Since the coronavirus struck Mexico, a plethora of videos and photographs uploaded to social media have shown what appear to be cartel operatives in about a dozen states handing out food packages marked with the logos of the different criminal groups to lines of Mexicans. In some cases the videos show the food being distributed by heavily armed men, driving in military-style trucks with cartel markings.

The videos couldn’t be independently verified, but the locations, dates and scenes of some of the videos were consistent with the purported relief efforts of one of Mexico’s most powerful criminal organizations, Cartel Jalisco Nueva Generación, according to an analysis by Storyful, a social media intelligence company. Storyful is owned by News Corp, parent of Wall Street Journal publisher Dow Jones. Mexican government officials also confirmed the aid efforts by the cartels.

During the pandemic, the organized crime groups have handed out food in recent weeks in 11 states, and they have used threats and violence to enforce their own quarantines in two states, according to Causa Comun, a Mexico City-based think tank.

In one video making the rounds in social media, men whose faces are hidden by a black balaclava give packages of food in Mexico’s second-largest city of Guadalajara to a long line of waiting people.

“This is from Mr. Mencho,” says one man, referring to Nemesio Oseguera, the head of the Cartel Jalisco Nueva Generación. The cartel’s booming exports of cocaine, fentanyl and methamphetamine to the U.S. have earned Mr. Oseguera a spot on the list of most wanted fugitives by the U.S. Drug Enforcement Administration.

• Like 1

We will never ever have that kind of cooperation and national spirit and pride ever again.

And there’s one reason - dumb people with attitudes.

Back then, dumb people weren’t personally aggrieved because smart people existed. Dumb people used to be able to get lifelong jobs that let them have a nice enough life and they were okay with letting the smart people run things.

Now, dumb people work in dumb jobs and spend 18 hours a day in front of any various type of screen; a screen with self curated news or entertainment or other like minded dumb people.

Their jobs suck. Their kids suck. Their housing sucks. Everything sucks.

And they KNOW it. But they’re too proud to admit it. And heaven help any know it all, busy body, smart person who points out their sucky lives.

So, anything backed by smart people and leaders is reflexively met with resistance and usually outright hostility and violence.

There is no more “Everyman” who will fall in line with a plan laid out by smart people and pull together for the national or global good.

There’s just “Joe Sixpack” and he ain’t got time for your bleeding heart, high falutin’ plan. His motto is “Fuck you, pay ME! And if I ain’t getting mine, no one is getting anything!”

America isn’t part of The Allies any more.

We’re The Axis.
  • Like 9

18 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

i'm all for warren investigating corruption on some level in the biden administration.  but she cannot do it alone.  warren will need a team, a fleet, a warehouse of forensic accountants working in shifts just to untangle everything and everyone who's connected to the one-term donald trump presidency.  i would hate to waste her that way.

• Like 2

Just now, henrygandorf said:

i'm all for warren investigating corruption on some level in the biden administration.  but she cannot do it alone.  warren will need a team, a fleet, a warehouse of forensic accountants working in shifts just to untangle everything and everyone who's connected to the one-term donald trump presidency.  i would hate to waste her that way.

So you’re saying she will need a plan for that? 

8 hours ago, Neonmoon said:

Everything this administration touches is an unmitigated dumpster clown show and will be until Trump is out of office. It is hard to find the energy to argue or even debate the layers of Clown that are exhibited every day. 

EQ1TosTXYAAR_YM?format=jpg&name=medium

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

All I hear among my right wing friends is something along the lines of "corona deaths are probably not even that high. If a cancer patient has corona and dies they will say its corona."

Lots of young people definitely in dgaf mode now which I guess makes some sense looking at the age of rona deaths.

52 minutes ago, trauma babe said:

Shit's scary as fuck. Our COVID+ ICU is currently full, but we can expand into the rest of the medical ICU for a few other beds. But y'all know COVID people aren't the only ones who need ICU-level care right now, yeah? Other acute/chronic medical issues and trauma don't stop attacking the population just because the 'Rona is in town. We can't save every bed for COVID unless you want Med/Surg RNs caring for critical patients (no shade, but it's an entirely different field of nursing, and people will die). 

Our PPE situation is slightly better in that we are no longer reusing thin paper gowns. We have thin plastic gowns that we are able to wash and reuse, so you get a new gown and gloves every time you go into a room. But you better not need a new N95 or face shield! At the end of our shift, we have to place the masks into a bin for "recycling," which is a fancy word for being sprayed with poisonous gas, left to air dry, and returned to the unit with "acceptable performance." They say they can do this to a mask 20x before the masks degrade. They say. But anyone who regularly wears an N95 can attest to the fact that after the first use, it's incredibly difficult to get a complete seal every subsequent time you use the mask.

Furthermore, even though universal masking is in place—that is, everyone wears at least a surgical mask while in the hospital—you certainly aren't allowed to wear an N95 from home because that would make people without home N95's jealous and non-COVID patients nervous. Yes, they will send you home without pay if you fight about it. My work wife, an amazing trauma nurse with a newborn, was sent home last night because she wanted to wear an N100 that she had sourced.

A quick pro-tip: if you find yourself in the hospital for Coronavirus and the doctors and nurses are telling you that you need to lie on your stomach to help prevent yourself from getting intubated, please believe us. You'll find it a lot less awful than waking up with a tracheostomy because we can't get you off the vent otherwise.

Headed back tonight. 

Thank you @trauma babe for doing all you do. If you ever tell me to roll over I won't argue.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

34 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

I was just telling someone today that I'd like to see Warren on a watchdog committee like the Truman Committee.