CR: COVID-19 --Political Talk

Mrs Whiggins

28 minutes ago, Lobo said:

^

what brisket said.  BNB---we don't want him to be anything he's not.  He's not a religious man, at all.  His disciples fell for it at first, then sorta placated and resigned to some version of "Nobody's a perfect Christian, maybe he's not exactly on our same page, but Jesus sent him to us all the same."  But the guy can't even accidentally pretend to be anything remotely close to Christian.  And that's fine.  But he also ignores science, reason, and faith.  All at the same time.  You really never see that in history, anywhere, with any leader.  Ever. 

Even the worst despots at least attempted to create some sort of rudimentary mythology around themselves grounded in some type of established religion.  And the others were rooted in some agnostic semblance of an economic doctrine, or nationalistic destiny plan, or science/reason/data above everything (like the movie "Equilibrium" if you have two hours this lockdown).  But that's what baffles some of us, is Trump has none of these.  Yeah, people joke all he believes in is himself.  but there's been far worse despotic leaders in history, but those guys at least leaned into something like a religion, a scientific doctrine, a philosophical ethos of some kind.  I know he had policy visions (border wall, tax cuts, SCOTUS, etc.).  But he's never had a broader philosophy, a belief set, ontological or otherwise.  It's just him babbling off the cuff for 4 years and suddenly he's got a following of 60mm Americans.  That's basically never happened.  People have aggregated much more power than he, but they needed something else to do it.  Some modicum/display of religion, adherence to logic, grand vision of empirical thought, some call to faith or science or great military campaign.  This guy got a third of the adults in a really great country to vote for him and now follow him to their graves based on nothing but just riffing into microphones for a living.  That's never happened.  Ever.  IN human history.  The despots always keep one pillar of something else up to stand up on and enhance themselves.   And some of us are understandably concerned.  He's literally the nihilists from "Big Lebowski" but commanding our nuclear arsenal.    

Well GD. Late on the draw.

Edited by Fudge Nuggets

It's pretty clear that Trump/Exec Branch and GOP governors have decided to open things up, because either the economy bounces back and they get reelected or it gets so bad elections have to be cancelled.  At least I think that calculus is there.

Those predictions that we'd cut the parachute 100 feet from the ground because Americans don't have the patience to see this thing through are coming to fruition imo.  

• Like 1

so the university is opening up, starting classes august 26, and not coming back after thanksgiving, doing finals remotely, etc.

30 minutes ago, CHIEF said:

You are not going to be able to pass an upper level math, physics, or engineering class while taking it online. Students are going to have too many questions. No availability to go to labs and learn the practical skills. My kid already said if all classes are online, he will be sitting it out till campus reopens.

CHIEF

22 minutes ago, bschoolprof said:

The hurry is $$$. Enrollment will tank unless UT commits now to an in person semester.

The outlook for June and July is hot as fuck with a small chance of rona.

the reason i was given on the DT thread was essentially $$$, and the need to take higher level cases in a classroom. i cannot respond much to that without getting political. but does not texas have a rainy day fund? this is the fucking rainy day!

https://www.texastribune.org/2020/05/11/texas-economy-rainy-day/

Texas voters created the account, also called the rainy day fund, after the oil bust of the late 1980s, according to the Texas comptroller’s website. Chris Bryan, a spokesperson for the Texas comptroller’s office, told The Texas Tribune that the account’s balance is $10.2 billion.

if we need some money to keep the keep the university afloat (and not just texas), we fucking have it. this just seems reckless. we don't even know what june or july looks like.

Edited by hayden_horn

4 hours ago, horn4life said:

But I think my prediction two weeks ago that the only path forward is a lot of good old boys gasping to death in the country towns of our nation as well as an even bigger portion of poor folks who live in cramped quarters.

This is like a disturbing bad luck Brian meme playing out in real life.  “Votes out of fear of immigrants coming and doing the white genocide, elects maniac that commits genocide.”

Edited by Hugo Stiglitz

Regarding Trump’s lack of lip service to faith: https://www.whitehouse.gov/presidential-actions/proclamation-national-day-prayer-americans-affected-coronavirus-pandemic-national-response-efforts/

His proclaimed conversion that conveniently happened some unknown time before he election (a “baby Christian” calling adult film actresses “horse face”) seems lacking in any apparent change/repentance, but some of the statements here about a lack of public proclamations haven’t quite been accurate.

5 hours ago, TXSG8R said:

And how does real-time feedback work when it comes to a study?   In real-time, this guy looks like hes doing great.  At the end of the study, that guy may have heart damage and show no real benefit when compared to the control group.  That's the entire reason you do a full study, to take the anecdotal "real-time" information out of your decision loop.

do you even warp-speed, bro?

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Mole said:

Regarding Trump’s lack of lip service to faith: https://www.whitehouse.gov/presidential-actions/proclamation-national-day-prayer-americans-affected-coronavirus-pandemic-national-response-efforts/

His proclaimed conversion that conveniently happened some unknown time before he election (a “baby Christian” calling adult film actresses “horse face”) seems lacking in any apparent change/repentance, but some of the statements here about a lack of public proclamations haven’t quite been accurate.

Oh, I know he's paid some lip service when the preacher brigade shows up.  I was specifically referring to this crisis -- he hasn't called to God at all, or if he has, it was so fleeting as to be unnoticeable. 

3 hours ago, GRHorn said:

I have no idea of the methodology here. I’d love to read the whole piece, but I don’t have access to it. Still worth sharing I thought. It’s being shared and digested by Wall St and the like. 

so by "infection rates" are we talking "positive tests" or hospitalizations or what?  because if it's just based on tests, i would like to see number of tests administered and which states are reporting their numbers properly (it's been a week and we've already seen multiple issues with fraud).  also several states under the curve seem to be the least affected, even at its worst - nebraska, s dakota, wyoming, kansas, iowa - some really spread out pop states.

one could assume that just "opening up" new york, jersey, and conn wouldn't quite have the same outcome.  california is easing restrictions and most people i know aren't behaving any differently than we were 2-4 weeks ago.  if they want to gauge our success since the lockdown was 'declared' over, i doubt they'll get a very accurate assessment, since the order was more-or-less a voluntary action.  still is.

9 minutes ago, Mole said:

200.gif

Someone needs to tell him that repeating I am God I'm the mirror every morning doesn't count as being religious

• Haha 1

GOP fronts "pro-Trump"  doctors to prescribe rapid re-opening.

"Republican political operatives are recruiting “extremely pro-Trump” doctors to go on television to prescribe reviving the U.S. economy as quickly as possible, without waiting to meet safety benchmarks proposed by the federal Centers for Disease Control and Prevention to slow the spread of the new coronavirus.

The plan was discussed in a May 11 conference call with a senior staffer for the Trump reelection campaign organized by CNP Action, an affiliate of the GOP-aligned Council for National Policy. A leaked recording of the hourlong call was provided to The Associated Press by the Center for Media and Democracy, a progressive watchdog group."

https://apnews.com/4ee1a3a8d631b454f645b2a8d9597de7

COVID numbers should go down in the summer. Because Trump America is so fucking stupid they may not but they might anyway despite all that. Then in the fall when they start to go up again Trump America will blame the Chinese or the Mexicans or something and a whole shitload of people will die. 

5 hours ago, GRHorn said:

I have no idea of the methodology here. I’d love to read the whole piece, but I don’t have access to it. Still worth sharing I thought. It’s being shared and digested by Wall St and the like. 

JP Morgan Quantitative and Derivatives Strategy.

Some smart fuckers that can make numbers look however they want them to look.  Most especially for a gullible or uninformed customer.

Edited by TwiceHorn

5 hours ago, triplehorn said:

Not sure why you quoted me, but your message is true regarding danger with ingestion by kids.  Definitely keep out of the hands of children.

Not that it's an indictment of the drug itself, but plenty of alt-reality types are suggesting that entire familes take HCQ as a prophylactic against CV19.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

JP Morgan Quantitative and Derivatives Strategy.

Some smart fuckers that can make numbers look however they want them to look.  Most especially for a gullible or uninformed customer.

No shit.  Quants are literally as bright as it gets outside of the mathematicians who are fully altruistic and doing it at the big academic schools.  I'm pretty damn sure even a junior varsity quant could take any data set and convince me the sun rises in the west, and I'm not all THAT stupid.  (Kinda stupid, but not all THAT stupid.)

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, 4th&Five said:

They could have easily stopped the plague, but they didn’t!

Hey donnie boy....you had well over a month of advance notice that it was a threat.....so if anyone "could have easily stopped it," it's the guy who was warned about it before it even got here.  Fucking dumbass.

What could possibly go wrong. People posting their own hydroxychloroquine receipes online.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/trump-fans-gobble-up-his-favorite-unproven-covid-drugsome-are-even-trying-to-cook-it-themselves?ref=home

Donald Trump’s allies are seeking out hydroxychloroquine and even trying risky substitutes for the anti-malaria drug as it has become an emblem of the president’s unorthodox approach to fighting coronavirus.

Trump has frequently touted hydroxychloroquine as a treatment for the disease, asking potential patients in April “what have you got to lose?” But that enthusiasm took on an entirely new meaning Monday, when he claimed he’d been taking medication for “a couple of weeks.” 

The revelation was starling. The FDA doesn’t recommend using hydroxychloroquine to treat—let alone prevent—COVID-19 outside of hospitals or clinical trials. In fact, the agency has warned that taking hydroxychloroquine or chloroquine, can produce “abnormal heart rhythms,” particularly for people with heart or kidney disease. And a Veterans Affairs study of hydroxychloroquine found that the drug has no effect on COVID-19  and may actually increase mortality rates for patients

But that hasn’t stopped Trump fans. On Tuesday, talk radio host and former Trump White House adviser Sebastian Gorka went further than Trump, announcing that he had been taking the drug in an attempt to avoid contracting COVID-19 for a month and posting a picture of his prescription bottle.

“Is it the miracle solution?” Gorka wondered in a video, before having his doctor on his radio show to discuss dosages.

Gorka isn’t alone. Rep. Roger Marshall (R-KS), a doctor and Kansas Senate candidate, said Tuesday that he and several family members are taking hydroxychloroquine in an attempt to ward off the virus. 

“I’m relieved President Trump is taking it,” Marshall said. 

Fringe right-wing activist Michael Coudrey, who Trump has retweeted in the past, claimed on Twitter on Tuesday that he’s been taking the drug prophylactically for a month—and even claimed it’s helped his skin. 

Other Trump fans desperate for hydroxychloroquine have turned to unconventional, potentially dangerous methods. Last week, promoters of the pro-Trump QAnon conspiracy theory—which posits that top Democrats run pedophile sex dungeons and eat children—boosted a “home recipe” for hydroxychloroquine that consisted of steeping various fruit rinds. While the recipe’s proponents claimed that it would help people avoid “big pharmas fillers,” the fruits suggested in the recipe, like grapefruit, could react dangerously with other medications. 

Spoiler

That’s not the only dubious recipe for replicating hydroxychloroquine’s still-unproven effects. In April, a video from Missouri chiropractor Eric Nepute raging against “fake news” went viral, racking up more than 1 million views. In his video, Nepute claimed that people with COVID-19 symptoms should just drink Schweppes Tonic Water for the quinine, wrongly claiming that its effects were “similar-ish” to hydroxychloroquine. 

As the debunking website Snopes pointed out, however, a litter of Schweppes has a fraction of the quinine recommended for anti-malarial use—much less for home-brewed treatments of COVID-19. To get that amount of quinine from a bottle of tonic, according to Snopes, would-be home practitioners would have to guzzle 25 liters of Schweppes a day for a week. 

In the end, taking hydroxychloroquine preventively may have just become the latest culture war symbol of the Trump era. Lionel Lebron, a conservative media personality and QAnon conspiracy theorist who visited Trump in the White House in 2018, urged his fans to lie about taking the drug just to anger liberals. 

4 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Not that it's an indictment of the drug itself, but plenty of alt-reality types are suggesting that entire familes take HCQ as a prophylactic against CV19.

Seeing posts above, it just underscores how important it is to have - at the highest levels - careful and clear communication from competent authorities who understand these matters. 

People are rightfully scared about their health and safety.  But chaotic messaging leads to both missed opportunities for good and misinformed judgement leading to harm.

41 minutes ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

What could possibly go wrong. People posting their own hydroxychloroquine receipes online.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/trump-fans-gobble-up-his-favorite-unproven-covid-drugsome-are-even-trying-to-cook-it-themselves?ref=home

hot tea + hydroxychloroquine  with a splash of bleach should make the avg trumpkin covid proof !

• Like 2

4 hours ago, henrygandorf said:

if they want to gauge our success since the lockdown was 'declared' over, i doubt they'll get a very accurate assessment, since the order was more-or-less a voluntary action.  still is.

That's the case in every state

Edited by WBT

17 minutes ago, Bama Chick said:

This timeline man......

I hadn't thought of it but it seems like it would be pretty simple to adapt the polycarbonate visors that some guys wear over the eyes to create a shield to cover the nose and mouth.

1 hour ago, jimmyjazz said:

Important message as some keep promoting HCQ. It is a dangerous drug for kids. Talk with a doctor AND pharmacist (preferably ones experienced in travel medicine) before ever giving this shit to your kids (let alone oneself). Killing your kid for a drug shown to be ineffective for Covid-19 is a horror no parent should go through. 

Triple - you might add a warning about kids every time you post about HCQ. Not everyone has your knowledge about the risks of HCQ and how it can kill kids. https://www.jem-journal.com/article/S0736-4679(05)00030-2/fulltext

9 minutes ago, WBT said:

I hadn't thought of it but it seems like it would be pretty simple to adapt the polycarbonate visors that some guys wear over the eyes to create a shield to cover the nose and mouth.

What about them taking their mouthpiece in and out all game? Wouldn't that greatly reduce the efficacy of this new facemask?

I'm sure those concerns will be brushed aside by the league. Their current helmets don't protect the players from CTE, why should the new facemasks protect them from covid?