CR: COVID-19 --Political Talk

Mrs Whiggins

Bingo halls opening? Haha. The last time I went to bingo was about 10 years ago at the one off of Ben White. It was a mix of retirement home and hospice, if those two things allowed you to chain smoke inside.

I can't imagine a single worse actual type of business to decide to open in terms of the demographics and health of its clientele. 

It was BYOB so that was cool. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Why is it that all Data, pointed to by Republican Governors as proof of their success, is FAULTY AS HELL?  

I know the GOP has grown into a party where lies are preferred to Truth but manipulating the data on testing, death and infection is actually deadly. Now the folks actually touting the fake "good news" are going to be perfectly safe, as they get tested 10 times a week.  They pretend that those ten tests the Gov took himself are actually 10 people being tested.   They pretend the 800 tests taken by 20 people over the last two weeks in a governor's office are actually 800 new tests of individuals, not simply numerous retests of GOP operatives trying to maintain their personal safety, while of course extolling others to risk their lives who can't get testing for free and at will as does every GOP governor and their staff.

So the liars are going to win... sort of...

Smart people will stay diligent. Stupid people will listen to Fox new, Republican Governor, and most importantly the President.  You see the ability to pretend a lie is reality is very deeply engrained in the nearly 45% of the population that now calls themselves Republicans.  A lot of Stupid people are going to get sick, and they will hardly notice.  And when Aunt JEnny starts to die, they will blame China rather than their own stupidity and stupid behavior.  You see in GOP world EVERYTHING is somebody else's fault!   Even when the information used for decision making on safety is PURPOSEFULLY ALTERED to support a non-scientific political position.

The sad thing is this second wave could have been largely prevented.  The lies regarding safety that are going to accelerate the infection rates in states with Republican Governors, could also have been prevented.  Perhaps we can endlessly write checks to people and companies that are not producing any revenue until after the Election.  Unfortunately we are going to see another terrible fucking handoff by the GOP.  

It is actually shocking when you see what the results have been in cost of American lives, and cost to the economy caused when the GOP controls the federal government. Guess the mess will again be handed off to a Dem.  Then the GOP will again insist on austerity that hurts the country, and the working class.  On the hope of... political advantage somewhere down the line if America hurts bad enough.  

• Like 6

20 minutes ago, Pig Bellmont said:

But don’t worry guys, people told me on the football board that reopening is going great and we’re on track for fall sports 

Wrong. If you’re in Montgomery and need an ICU bed, you can find it at the market. I’m talkin’ bout flea market.

2 minutes ago, horn4life said:

Why is it that all Data, pointed to by Republican Governors as proof of their success, is FAULTY AS HELL?  

I know the GOP has grown into a party where lies are preferred to Truth

You could have stopped there.

Edited by BrickHorn

38 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

Bingo halls opening? Haha. The last time I went to bingo was about 10 years ago at the one off of Ben White. It was a mix of retirement home and hospice, if those two things allowed you to chain smoke inside.

I can't imagine a single worse actual type of business to decide to open in terms of the demographics and health of its clientele. 

It was BYOB so that was cool. 

Dan Patrick was serious about sacrificing grandmas. He is just trying to get that out of the way in one shot. 

I'd like to have a smart, savvy, worldly, honorable non-asshole president at least once in my adult life. I don't much care what their genital situation is. 
Did you become an adult 3 years ago? Because there was a guy that appears to check all your boxes...
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, kopp0e said:

On the plus side, (if there is one), is either Tulsa or Austin is the new home of Tesla...

And from what I gather I'd be surprised if Austin isn't picked but things can happen...

Austin may be too California librul for Elon at this point.  He's looking for unrestrained red state business felatio for his next landing spot.  No risk of anyone ever trying to protect workers and what not.  

14 minutes ago, horn4life said:

I know the GOP has grown into a party where lies are preferred to Truth but manipulating the data on testing, death and infection is actually deadly. Now the folks actually touting the fake "good news" are going to be perfectly safe, as they get tested 10 times a week.  They pretend that those ten tests the Gov took himself are actually 10 people being tested.   They pretend the 800 tests taken by 20 people over the last two weeks in a governor's office are actually 800 new tests of individuals, not simply numerous retests of GOP operatives trying to maintain their personal safety, while of course extolling others to risk their lives who can't get testing for free and at will as does every GOP governor and their staff.

Wow. Good work. I believe the numbers are being kept down by test suppression and lying. I hadn't thought that another way to do it would be to conduct the testing in the way you describe. I thought my mind could visit sinister places, but this dark little corner eluded me:

"Let's lie about the danger and hog the tests to protect ourselves. Then let's use the results on our highly protected selves to distort the safety picture even more."

These are wanton villains. They may contort their thinking to justify their killing decisions, but the result is murder. 

It is so depressing that so much of the country don't hear Warren and Schiff but choose to follow Trump and McConnell. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, TXSG8R said:

Austin may be too California librul for Elon at this point.  He's looking for unrestrained red state business felatio for his next landing spot.  No risk of anyone ever trying to protect workers and what not.  

True, but trying to train Okies to build modern tech is a fool's errand. 

11 minutes ago, FondrenRoad said:

Dan Patrick was serious about sacrificing grandmas. He is just trying to get that out of the way in one shot. 

Brave Dan Patrick said he himself ipse was ready to take the risk of death to save his beloved country! He's a regular fuckin' Nathan Hale.

I hope he gets to prove to you how brave he really is. How dare you doubt him?!

48 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

That is a very apt description.  + rep

4 hours ago, Message Board User said:

What data is being used for this statistic? It appears to me that Belgium, Spain Italy, the UK, Andorra, and France all have a larger number of deaths per capita (maybe the UK isn't Europe anymore, I don't know). Or does this mean daily (current rates) as opposed to totals? 

4 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

I'm pretty sure it's online now but I regret throwing away my copy of that book. 

4 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Are you 15 years old?

I legitimately LOLed reading your two posts back-to-back.

And it just so happened to be one of the first documents to be put online, but I can't remember exactly. I was only 15 yo.

Edited by berlinerbaer

40 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

Brave Dan Patrick said he himself ipse was ready to take the risk of death to save his beloved country! He's a regular fuckin' Nathan Hale.

I hope he gets to prove to you how brave he really is. How dare you doubt him?!

We're about a week away from Republicans calling Covid "Freedom Flu" and telling everyone if you don't have it, you're an American-hating commie.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

What data is being used for this statistic? It appears to me that Belgium, Spain Italy, the UK, Andorra, and France all have a larger number of deaths per capita (maybe the UK isn't Europe anymore, I don't know). Or does this mean daily (current rates) as opposed to totals? 

By highest death per capita rate in Europe over last week he probably means highest death per capita rate in Europe over last week.

• Like 3

It's really extraordinary.  By any measure, CV19 can kill at any age, but the 50+ crowd is definitely more susceptible.

The 50+ crowd is also more likely to be Trump supporters than any other age demographic.

Go ahead, kill yourselves, I guess.  Hope you don't kill my wife's parents, but at least they're holed up in a covid-free assisted living facility with no access to visitors.  Lifelong Republicans who are actually showing signs of disgust for Trump, particularly Pops.  Nana will still probably pull the red lever.

4 minutes ago, JFKFC said:

By highest death per capita rate in Europe over last week he probably means highest death per capita rate in Europe over last week.

I missed "over the last week" portion due to the line break. Thanks!

56 minutes ago, TXSG8R said:

Fort Worth would be good to him. Maybe he could fund the Panther Island boondoggle.

3 hours ago, Captainant said:

Florida is firing people for publishing bad looking numbers. I'll wait for an analysis from an actual 3rd party and not an apparatus of the republican party, after we have actual confirmed data out of Florida. 

3 hours ago, wildcat09 said:

I love all the stories shitting on all the experts for being so wrong about Florida and Georgia, followed within days by us finding out that Georgia literally just flipped the dates on a chart and Florida firing their data person for not juking the numbers for them. Republicans get out over their skis on shit like that literally every single time.

Someone posted this in the DT thread that counters what you two are claiming. 

https://tallahasseereports.com/2020/05/20/rebekah-jones-firing-is-the-covid-clickbait-the-media-dreams-of-but-its-all-fake/

• Like 1

20 hours ago, washparkhorn said:

Amen. Whoever does not love does not know God, because God is love.

Well except when he kills, then kills again, then wipes out entire civilizations, then gets either bored or lazy once man develops advanced scientific knowledge and does nothing while man commits mass atrocities on each other. 

I believe something created what we see but to characterize that being's violence then sheer absentee indifference as love is insane. As a "father" it switched from being extremely brutally abusive to completely negligent running out in the middle of the night and disappearing. 

I mean, give your "kids" some fucking explicit direction and assurances at least a few times every 2000 years for fucks sake. 

1 hour ago, Dahobbs said:

I missed "over the last week" portion due to the line break. Thanks!

Regardless, it'd be best compare Sweden to its socioeconomic and culture Notdic peers.

Per Worldometers as of today (deaths per million):

Sweden 384

Denmark 97

Finland 55

Norway 43

By comparison, Texas is 49. If we had the same death rate, Texas would have over 11,000 mortalities right now 

21 minutes ago, bolverk said:

Regardless, it'd be best compare Sweden to its socioeconomic and culture Notdic peers.

Per Worldometers as of today (deaths per million):

Sweden 384

Denmark 97

Finland 55

Norway 43

By comparison, Texas is 49. If we had the same death rate, Texas would have over 11,000 mortalities right now 

Texas.....between Norway and Finland.  You know what IS between Norway and Finland?  Pretty much jack shit (we looked at going to the point where Norway, Finland, and Sweden meet last summer.....then we realized it's in asscrack-nowhere, with nothing else around).

Finland+sweden+and+norway+its+called+quo

I mean, pretty views in the distance, but those are actually mediocre views compared with much of the rest of Norway.

3 hours ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Man, that DT thread is depressing.

I've taken a little bit of a breather from Surly this past week and only now getting caught up here. Just clicked over there for the first time since Monday and read a page of that afternoon's posts.

Dear lord, the intentional ignorance displayed with such arrogance is maddening. I'd like to catch up and read the 14 or so pages that follow, but I'm not sure I could handle it.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Texas.....between Norway and Finland.  You know what IS between Norway and Finland?  Pretty much jack shit (we looked at going to the point where Norway, Finland, and Sweden meet last summer.....then we realized it's in asscrack-nowhere, with nothing else around).

Finland+sweden+and+norway+its+called+quo

I mean, pretty views in the distance, but those are actually mediocre views compared with much of the rest of Norway.

That's the Scandinavian equivalent of Terlingua minus the beer swilling goat.

Quoted for head-shaking, pathetic truth.  I just don't get it.
In the greatest crisis to face humanity in 3 generations, the President of the United States, the leader of the nation and arguably the entire free world....has offered effectively nothing in terms of faith, prayer, etc.  He couldn't say less about it if he purposefully tried NOT to say anything spiritual.  In terms of spiritual leadership of the American people, he's literally the least "Christian" president we've EVER HAD.  Yet he's the evangelicals' champion.....which sure as shit tells you they aren't about genuine faith AT ALL.

To be fair: evangelicals never cared about christianity/faith either.
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, gmr548 said:
47 minutes ago, 4th&Five said:

Is there any reason to do this aside from just being a petulant child?

He thinks he looks stupid in a mask. Also, the entire concept is that it protects others, so that's obviously a no-go for the dotard.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Wait, I thought Trump agreed to wear a mask at the Ford plant?

ARE YOU TELLING ME THE PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA LIED???

He’s wearing a mask. It’s the one the Halloween store labels “leathery orange dickface moron.”

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, babysdaddy said:

Someone posted this in the DT thread that counters what you two are claiming. 

https://tallahasseereports.com/2020/05/20/rebekah-jones-firing-is-the-covid-clickbait-the-media-dreams-of-but-its-all-fake/

As an FYI, Tallahassee Reports is a very right leaning publication overseen by former city commission candidate Steve Stewart (BA PoliSci Clemson, MA FSU). He has gotten called out before for cherry picking data when he published an article critical of the then mayor (who has one vote on the commission) that was picked up by a Republican PAC and used to make a video depicting the mayor as soft on crime. So, I would read their material keeping that in mind.

Edited by Mrs Whiggins
correction