CR: COVID-19 --Political Talk

Mrs Whiggins

31 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

That problem is in no way limited to those you imply.  And it extends further up the income ladder than the underclass, which is well known to be majority white.

People overspend and don't save.  It's a problem.  It becomes a serious problem when something like this pandemic hits.  They won't possess enough economic resilience to weather this.

WhatTheBuck is kind of a dick about religion, but I don't think he's actively racist (meaning we're all a little racist at some level if you're honest about it).

Maybe if he'd said "sell the lifted truck, the jet skis and the boat," we could dispense with your criticism, which is unwarranted, imo.

In a vacuum, your correct. The problem is, this line Of thought is fraught with historical racial overtones.  Reagan’s attacks on welfare queens wasn’t directed across racial lines.  It focused on a single demographic.  Moreover there are terms in modern language to describe this behavior (which I will not repeat, but I’m sure people know) which specifically use a racial epithet. 

One has to condition this argument from the outset to separate it from race.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, triplehorn said:

What are you talking about?  Please, say more.  I'm persuadable.

Disregarding the fact that there doesn't seem to be a clear delineation between the magic timeframe you're advocating where benefits exist and the DEATH WINDOW, if you'd read the article you'd see that medical doctors and scientists seem to be pretty clear that this "treatment" is a really bad idea.

10 minutes ago, burntorangebongos said:

These are cases right? So in just trying to spitball an answer, I would think it is because they test a lot more than we do and we actually have way more cases than is reflected here. And we also have a higher percentage death rate because of underlying conditions due to unhealthy lifestyles. 

Yes, cases.  Singapore does not even show up on the fatality chart. Their testing rate does not appear to be too dissimilar from ours (below).  The comorbidities, esp obesity, could very well be the key difference, but even controlling for differences in comorbidities their fatality rate appears to be an extreme outlier. 

Singapore population is also among the most wealthy in the world, and most of the cases are occurring among migrant workers living in camps (younger, males, lower mortality risk). I would not be shocked if there was some suppression of migrant worker death reporting as well, as they have taken some criticism of their COVID response among the migrant workers.

This all just demonstrates why simple comparisons between US data and small Asian countries such as Singapore are very challenging. 

Annotation-2020-05-22-104847b.png

3 minutes ago, 4th&Five said:

you're in agreement with donald trump and aggy.  that should be enough to persuade you that you're dead ass wrong.

He's just conducting an exercise in walking a different unmapped trail that leads to the place where we've already arrived.

15 hours ago, HenryJames said:

I'm slow to anger and have never had to hit a person in the face. Most of those people I wanted to punch through the computer monitor. 

So much of this country has contentedly become a rabble that exalts bad behavior as freedom or even a credit to one's not taking shit from anybody.

You can't spell Idiot World without I. Doubled for emphasis.

1 hour ago, burntorangebongos said:

Wasn't there a study that showed that Americans don't have but an average of about $400 in our savings? The government shutdown hurt a lot of families and showed that even though they had a steady government job, they were unable to deal with a disruption of their pay for the 2 months they were furloughed. I recall some were getting into their 401ks and some were selling stuff off. We are in deep trouble with this situation for sure. 

https://www.gobankingrates.com/saving-money/savings-advice/americans-have-less-than-1000-in-savings/

Key Findings

• Almost half of respondents — 45% — said they have $0 in a savings account. Another 24% said they have less than $1,000 in savings.
  • The top reason respondents said they weren’t saving more was because they were living paycheck to paycheck. Nearly 33% said this obstacle was keeping them from saving, and about 20% said a high cost of living prevented them from saving more.
  • The No. 1 thing respondents said they need to save more money was a higher salary. About 38% said having a bigger paycheck would help them save more, while 18% said lowering their debt would make it easier to set aside cash.
  • The most common place where those with savings put their cash is in a savings account. Although 33% of respondents said they take advantage of a savings account to store their cash, 29% said they don’t have any savings.

Edited by Biff Tannen

13 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

I'm slow to anger and have never had to hit a person in the face. Most of those people I wanted to punch through the computer monitor. 

So much of this country has contentedly become a rabble that exalts bad behavior as freedom or even a credit to one's not taking shit from anybody.

dailymail has been using the term "covidiots." i can't lie, i like it.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

I'm old enough to remember when we were talking about 100k deaths by August.  Lol?

The thing is, the "facts don't care about your feelings!" crowd that can't stop crying about social distancing and masks doesn't care about facts and they don't care about anybody they don't know. At a very fundamental level, they think they should be able to do whatever they want to do and that the rest of the world exists to enable them to do whatever it is that they want to do. Ten million people could have already died and they'd be behaving exactly the same, unless they or their family or close friends were among the dead or seriously affected. All that matters to them is that they can't do the things they are used to doing the way they are used to doing them, and anybody who asks them to change, even temporarily, is essentially evil in their eyes.

These types of people have always existed, but much of modern America treats this sociopathy as a virtue so they no longer feel socially restrained from expressing it. The real problem is that we let them get away with it. We realize that avoiding confrontation is usually good from a social standpoint, so when we see it all we do is put on a shocked face and chuckle among ourselves when they're gone about how awful they are. But with people like this, that approach is actively harmful to society at large. It makes them think more people agree with them than actually do. These people need to be immediately challenged on their bullshit. When a group of people see a woman cough on someone because someone asked them to wear a mask, they need to all yell at her and pelt her with garbage. When they see some asshole start pushing a grocery store clerk, they need to punch the fucker in the face, knock him over, and kick the shit out of him. These people need to be afraid of what will happen to them if they behave this way in public. It won't make them better people, but it will put a stop to a lot of this shit.

• Like 7

10 minutes ago, wildcat09 said:

These types of people have always existed, but much of modern America treats this sociopathy as a virtue so they no longer feel socially restrained from expressing it.

This is the pure poison that is actively killing our ability to be a functional nation and society.  It's a perfect encapsulation of America, 2020.  We are, and aspire to be, Thunderdome, except without the wise stewardship of Tina Turner.

36 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Disregarding the fact that there doesn't seem to be a clear delineation between the magic timeframe you're advocating where benefits exist and the DEATH WINDOW, if you'd read the article you'd see that medical doctors and scientists seem to be pretty clear that this "treatment" is a really bad idea.

The delineation is subject inclusion based on need for hospitalization.  Show me a study where early treatment, pre-hospitalization, had no benefit.  The study mentioned above this morning involves hospitalized patients, ie advanced illness.  This is basic stuff.  There are myriad examples in medicine where timing of an intervention has everything to do with whether or not treatment produces the desired outcome.  If you give it too late, little or no benefit.  Even your average Joe understands this.

36 minutes ago, 4th&Five said:

you're in agreement with donald trump and aggy.  that should be enough to persuade you that you're dead ass wrong.

Only I'm not politicizing this issue.  Trump doesn't understand the first thing about any distinction in timing.  He's fucked this up beyond recognition.  

38 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

When this all over, America needs a One Shining Moment montage like they do for the end of March Madness.

• Like 2

Dotard holding another presser in a few minutes.  Seems like he's ramping back up his daily shit flinging festivals that keep driving his numbers down.  Keep on keeping on you dumb shit.  Also, there's a sign behind him that says "President Trump Holds a Press Conference", like the title of a fucking children's book.

18 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

This is the pure poison that is actively killing our ability to be a functional nation and society.  It's a perfect encapsulation of America, 2020.  We are, and aspire to be, Thunderdome, except without the wise stewardship of Tina Turner.

Yes, along with the hate engine that we’ve discussed, the mistrust engine has also morphed a large portion of society into “I don’t trust anyone who doesn’t tell me exactly what I want to hear”.  

Guest Lobo

I love that none of them wore helmets.  Also, Axl Rose is gonna be pissed as shit for them using his song since he's in a twitter war with Mnuchin & Trump. Although that song was obviously chosen by Trump to describe his feelings for Ivanka.  

I always found the comparisons of Trump to Hitler to be attention-seeking hyperbole.  But there it is at the 0:07 mark, the guy on the all-black bike...doing the Bellamy Salute to the President in his own home.  Here we are America.  That just happened.  Trump received that gesture with a smile and clapping.  Not because he's like Hitler, but because he's stupid.  

Look forward to this incident being explained away as sarcasm.  The song lyrics, the bikers, the oblivious President, the Bellamy Salute.  How is this possible?

Edited by Lobo

Birx - asymptomatic carriers much more dangerous and deadly than those with serious symptoms from the disease. Asymps can spread it for 7+ days. Symps may spread it for a day or two before becoming so sick they don't feel like getting out of bed. 

Wear your face covering - it is not to protect you; it is to protect others. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

What the motherfuck is that?  Are you fucking kidding me?  Fuck you simulation.  This is too much.

IUnS.gif

No, see....again, as pointed out above, we are not living in Idiocracy.

WE ARE LIVING IN SOMETHING WORSE THAN IDIOCRACY.  President Camacho was decent and human enough to defer to someone smarter than me.

We have someone as stupid as President Camacho, but he's a psychopath who cares for nobody but himself and his internal ball of narcissism, so he has not a shred of President Camacho's decency.

There's no question -- we would be MUCH better off under President Camacho.

Edited by Brisketexan
  • Like 7

6 minutes ago, washparkhorn said:

Birx - asymptomatic carriers much more dangerous and deadly than those with serious symptoms from the disease. Asymps can spread it for 7+ days. Symps may spread it for a day or two before becoming so sick they don't feel like getting out of bed. 

Wear your face covering - it is not to protect you; it is to protect others. 

thumb_ifthey-wouldrather-die-lep-they-ha

So speaks a man of business.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

I had no idea this was a thing.  Awesome.

One of the best books I've read.  Funny as hell.  And kinda beautiful.  The theology is actually reasonably sound (within the parameters of an intentionally fictional account, played for laughs as well).  And hopefully, Biff is all of us, at least a little bit.  A profane, weak, very human, loyal friend, believer.....and head over heels in love with the captivating Mary Magdalene.

Guest Lobo

They're morons but I like that they asked that question because now their viewers have to at least ask themselves the question, "Wait, what crime?"  

3 hours ago, gmr548 said:

This is mathematically impossible for nearly half the country and quite the tightrope for many more. I'm not sure this site, which skews whiter, more educated, and wealthier than America as a whole, really understands how different life in the top 20 percent or so (where most of us reside) is even from life at the midpoint, let alone below that.

Not a personal thing with you - I'm not attacking you for being rich or whatever. Just noting that it isn't that simple.

It is, no doubt, mathematically impossible for a lot of folks to have 6 months of living expenses in an emergency fund.

But it is possible for literally everyone to have more in savings than they do.

We just don't live that way culturally.  It's a side effect of capitalism and our hypermaterialistic society.  

And I'm not just pointing the finger at poor folks here.  I'm a financial advisor and I've worked with many families who bring in $200k a year and they're still one job loss away from losing everything because they're so far in debt.  And I coach, and they nod, and they do better for a little while, then they don't.  Most of them, anyway.

It's sad.  And stupid.  

But again, regardless of the fact that we generally eat like shit and spend like fools, the government made this exponentially worse and they should be on the hook for whatever people need right now.

I just don't know how much longer they can keep throwing trillions of dollars at this.  And when they stop, shit will go from bad to worse in a hurry.  Especially if Trump wins reelection.

5 minutes ago, TexArcher said:

It is, no doubt, mathematically impossible for a lot of folks to have 6 months of living expenses in an emergency fund.

But it is possible for literally everyone to have more in savings than they do.

We just don't live that way culturally.  It's a side effect of capitalism and our hypermaterialistic society.  

And I'm not just pointing the finger at poor folks here.  I'm a financial advisor and I've worked with many families who bring in $200k a year and they're still one job loss away from losing everything because they're so far in debt.  And I coach, and they nod, and they do better for a little while, then they don't.  Most of them, anyway.

It's sad.  And stupid.  

But again, regardless of the fact that we generally eat like shit and spend like fools, the government made this exponentially worse and they should be on the hook for whatever people need right now.

I just don't know how much longer they can keep throwing trillions of dollars at this.  And when they stop, shit will go from bad to worse in a hurry.  Especially if Trump wins reelection.

Well said - but let's not ignore the fact that the economy is designed for the ultra-wealthy to profit - regardless of the circumstances. 

https://www.commondreams.org/news/2020/05/21/underscoring-grotesque-nature-unequal-sacrifice-richest-americans-have-added-434

Underscoring 'Grotesque Nature of Unequal Sacrifice,' Richest Americans Have Added $434 Billion in Wealth Since Pandemic Hit

"While millions risk their lives and livelihoods as first responders and frontline workers, these billionaires benefit from an economy and tax system that is wired to funnel wealth to the top."

America's billionaires saw their combined net worth soar by $434 billion between March 18 and May 19 while the coronavirus pandemic killed tens of thousands of people and ravaged the U.S. economy, forcing more than 30 million out of work.

The report shows that the five wealthiest billionaires in the U.S.—Jeff Bezos of Amazon, Bill Gates of Microsoft, Mark Zuckerberg of Facebook, Warren Buffett of Berkshire Hathaway, and Larry Ellison of Oracle—saw their collective wealth grow by a total of $75.5 billion between March 18 and May 19, a 19% jump.

Chuck Collins, director of the IPS Program on Inequality, said "the surge in billionaire wealth during a global pandemic underscores the grotesque nature of unequal sacrifice."

"While millions risk their lives and livelihoods as first responders and front line workers," said Collins, "these billionaires benefit from an economy and tax system that is wired to funnel wealth to the top."

• Like 1

18 hours ago, HenryJames said:

Jesus fuck I hate people.  That last one talking about HIPAA...honestly what the fuck.  Thankfully I have yet to witness any of this even with me almost always being in the Stone Oak and Alamo Heights areas of San Antonio /notshaggysurly1%

Edited by CowboyFred
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, washparkhorn said:

Well said - but let's not ignore the fact that the economy is designed for the ultra-wealthy to profit - regardless of the circumstances.

Of course.  This country was founded by and for elitists.  We pay lip service to equality, but that's the last thing anyone with wealth or power wants.

• Like 1

Weill happy Memorial day weekend all!  I will stick with the book cover theming.  If you have ever read this book, can you honestly argue that even the Merry Pranksters would have handled this virus better than Trump's "very best people..."

spacer.png

• Like 2