CR: COVID-19 --Political Talk

Mrs Whiggins

4 minutes ago, washparkhorn said:

A 44x34 guy trying to wear 40x36 pants. 

Vanity that gives him a camel toe look. 

he used to be 6'2", shrank because he's old, but still wears the pant length he did back in the 80s. 

16 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

Jesus that was horribly staged. I wish John Karl would've pressed on and fucked her rhythm up even more. She was already bumbling through that performance all the way through to "you have 3 days to..." 

10 minutes ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

They are improving their propaganda efforts and coordination. Not amused.

Donna Brazille is not amused with your insight and wants you to move along. ;)

Even if they get caught, they will just say - "CNN and DNC/Clinton did it and got away with it; why u picking on me?"  They have this tactic down like clockwork. Want to screw a political enemy - do what the enemy did and - poof - the moral high ground is lost. Rinse and repeat. 

Biden needs to move towards reformer and caretaker narratives. Trusting the polling data was a mistake in 2016 and will be in 2020 again. His campaign has a lot of work left to do.  His COVID 19 response needs clarity and urgency. 

Edited by washparkhorn
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Al Bundy's Napoleon Hand said:

When this all over, America needs a One Shining Moment montage like they do for the end of March Madness.

Or an updated Vietnam wall style "Covid Wall". How long does it have to be to hold a million+ names?

9 minutes ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

They are improving their propaganda efforts and coordination. Not amused.

Absolutely stunning.

The Trump administration seems to be stidently trying to find a boundary to improper and illegal use of the office. All they come into contact with are walls of toilet tissue. A White House press conference becomes a pitiful dog and pony show, and the electorate doesn't laugh the clown out of office.

As you say, Mrs. Whiggins, they improve their show. They know their audience. They increasingly know that nothing constrains them.

Team this display with the videos of malign idiots coughing on, spitting on, and striking at store workers, and the picture manages, remarkably, to be grimmer than it was just a few months ago.

Erasing Trump from the White House is just ridding this ailing republic of a single bubo. The USA is a vast collection of bubonic numbskullery. 

• Like 3

Donna Brazille is not amused with your insight and wants you to move along.
Even if they get caught, they will just say - "CNN and DNC/Clinton did it and got away with it; why u picking on me?"  They have this tactic down like clockwork. Want to screw a political enemy - do what the enemy did and - poof - the moral high ground is lost. Rinse and repeat. 
Biden needs to move towards reformer and caretaker narratives. Trusting the polling data was a mistake in 2016 and will be in 2020 again. His campaign has a lot of work left to do.  His COVID 19 response needs clarity and urgency. 
The polling data was good enough in 2016. Thinking it meant you didn't have to put any work in and could fuck around in GA, AZ, and TX was the mistake.
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, CowboyFred said:

Jesus fuck I hate people.  That last one talking about HIPAA...honestly what the fuck.  Thankfully I have yet to witness any of this even with me almost always being in the Stone Oak and Alamo Heights areas of San Antonio /notshaggysurly1%

Serious question.  If someone spits ar me is that assault and am I legally able to beat the fuck out of them?  Is so can a cough be legally defined as a spit?  Need to game plan now before it happens cause I don’t really think I could help myself in the heat of the moment.

1 minute ago, Horn Dog said:

Serious question.  If someone spits ar me is that assault and am I legally able to beat the fuck out of them?  Is so can a cough be legally defined as a spit?  Need to game plan now before it happens cause I don’t really think I could help myself in the heat of the moment.

If you're white and the spitter is black, yes, this is fine. It's fine even if they don't spit on you.

Edited by Dirk X West
  • Like 3

34 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

One of the ironies about people like this (which aren't all Trumpkins, but a whole hell of a lot of them are) is that they're actually right about America going soft, fuck your feelings, etc.  What they fail to realize - or maybe they actually do realize it on some level and they just resent it anyway - is that we've primarily gone soft ON PEOPLE LIKE THEM.

In a true "fuck your feelings" country, the loudmouth contrarian raging asshole that whines and plays the victim about fucking everything is exactly the guy everyone would be bitch slapping back into his hole at every turn.

I agree, and to put it in a different way, we're not letting Darwinism win anymore. But in a weird way we are, now. And the very people making the most noise and interrupting society the most are the same ones we as a society have saved from herd thinning. So now they get the chance to let Darwin prove himself right again.

• Like 1

India's Council of Medical Research (ICMR) all aboard the Darjeeling prophylaxis express based off of 3 of their own studies:

ICMR finds it’s effective in preventing coronavirus, expands its use

New Delhi: The Indian Council of Medical Research (ICMR), the country’s apex body in the field, has found that consuming the drug hydroxychloroquine reduces the chances of getting infected with Covid-19.

As a result, ICMR released an advisory Friday to expand the usage of HCQ — an anti-malarial drug — as a preventive treatment against the novel coronavirus.

The conclusion has been drawn on the basis of three studies conducted by the ICMR.

The advisory suggests surveillance workers, paramilitary and police personnel, as well as medical staff working in non-Covid hospitals and blocks to start consuming the pill as “preventive therapy”.

ICMR had issued an advisory to begin using HCQ in March, but it had drawn criticism for lacking scientific evidence that the drug works against the novel coronavirus.

The Studies

According to the advisory, the premier health body undertook investigation at three central government hospitals in New Delhi. While it did not reveal the names of the hospitals, it said the investigation indicates that “amongst healthcare workers involved in Covid-19 care, those on HCQ prophylaxis were less likely to develop SARS-CoV-2 infection, compared to those who were not on it”.

The advisory also states that the National Institute of Virology in Pune has found in laboratory testing that HCQ reduces the viral load.

The ICMR also analysed data collected previously, known as retrospective case-control analysis, and found “a significant” relationship between “the number of doses taken and frequency of occurrence of Covid-19 infection in symptomatic healthcare workers who were tested for SARS-CoV-2 infection”.

It further said “the benefit was less pronounced in healthcare workers caring for a general patient population”.

Another observational study was conducted among 334 healthcare workers at the country’s largest public hospital, New Delhi’s All India Institute of Medical Sciences (AIIMS). The 248 workers who took HCQ as preventive drug for an average of six weeks had lower incidence of the infection than those not taking the pill.

Which workers will use it now?

Based on the findings of the studies, the government has decided to administer the drug as a ‘prophylaxis’ or preventive therapy to asymptomatic healthcare workers working in non-Covid hospitals as well as non-Covid blocks of hospitals earmarked for Covid treatment.

Asymptomatic frontline workers, such as surveillance workers deployed in containment zones, as well as paramilitary and police personnel involved in Covid-related activities will be asked to pop HCQ pills.

Until now, only high-risk individuals, including asymptomatic healthcare workers involved in containment and treatment of Covid-19 patients, and asymptomatic household contacts of laboratory-confirmed cases, were being administered the drug. They will continue to consume the drug.

While the dosage will remain the same as before, eight weeks, the ICMR advisory suggests that it can be used beyond that period as well, but with close monitoring.

“With available evidence for its safety and beneficial effect as a prophylactic drug against SARS-CoV-2 during the earlier recommended 8 weeks period, the experts further recommended for its use beyond 8 weeks on weekly dosage with strict monitoring of clinical and ECG parameters, which would also ensure that the therapy is given under supervision,” it stated.

“In clinical practice, HCQ is commonly prescribed in a daily dose of 200mg to 400mg for treatment of diseases such as rheumatoid arthritis and systemic lupus erythematosus for prolonged treatment periods with good tolerance,” the advisory added.

Discontinue if ‘rare side effects’ are noted

The ICMR had earlier announced that some side effects, such as abdominal pain and nausea, have been observed in healthcare workers who were administered HCQ.

The anti-malaria drug is often blamed for triggering irregular heartbeat.

However, in the final results of the studies (HCQ prophylaxis among 1,323 healthcare workers), the ICMR found mild adverse effects such as nausea in 8.9 per cent workers, abdominal pain in 7.3 per cent, vomiting in 1.5 per cent, low blood sugar (hypoglycaemia) in 1.7 per cent and cardio-vascular effects in 1.9 per cent.

The advisory states the drug should be discontinued if it causes the “rare” side effects related to the heart, such as cardiomyopathy, a disease which makes it harder for heart to pump blood to the entire body, and heart-rate disorders.

The advisory mentions that HCQ, in rare cases, can cause visual disturbance, including “blurring of vision, which is usually self-limiting and improves on discontinuation of the drug”.

ICMR has clarified that “for the above cited reasons — heart and vision — the drug has to be given under strict medical supervision with an informed consent”.

ICMR's official notice: 

Revised advisory on the use of Hydroxychloroquine (HCQ) as prophylaxis for SARS-CoV-2 infection (in supersession of previous advisory dated 23rd March, 2020)

29 minutes ago, Horn Dog said:

As I said earlier, I've never struck anyone in the face. I don't think I could stop my left fist from going straight to their nose. Goddamn right they're attacking you with malice. If the idiot kept coming, they'd have to say goodbye to a knee, shoulder, or foot. Ligaments would tear, bones might break. Who knows what I'd do if my beloved was nearby?

Again, I'm not an ass kicker from way back. I played the line and wrestled a million years ago. I worked the oil rigs as a young man. I can be physical. I prefer being civilized.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, triplehorn said:

I hear India has a history of some hangups on class.

Seriously though, I don't expect them to just dose a billion people.  They make it very clear that this should only occur strictly in the context of medical consideration of individual history with ongoing medical monitoring.  I'd expect the Have's in India will be able to access and pay for individual prophylactic treatment if they choose to.  But I also expect they will zero in on the most efficient way to administer it to as many affected people as possible within whatever logistic limitations they identify.

SIAP:  A few days ago,  a Michigan Covid denier tried to steel a Coast Guard helicopter so he could use it to attack a hospital in order to "free"  the Covid-19 patients that he was certain were being held against their will.

https://www.abc12.com/content/news/Man-threatens-hospital-Coast-Guard-and-to-put-everyone-in-quarantine-570570731.html

4 minutes ago, Horn Under a Bad Sign said:

SIAP:  A few days ago,  a Michigan Covid denier tried to steel a Coast Guard helicopter so he could use it to attack a hospital in order to "free"  the Covid-19 patients that he was certain were being held against their will.

https://www.abc12.com/content/news/Man-threatens-hospital-Coast-Guard-and-to-put-everyone-in-quarantine-570570731.html

That lead in the water finally bearing fruit.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

I’ve been real proud of the church I attend saying that no we won’t reopen until cases go down and stay down, all while adding online services, zoom group studies, video children sermons and pick up craft projects, and keeping our food bank garden going. 

• Like 6

On 5/21/2020 at 10:49 AM, TXSG8R said:

Austin may be too California librul for Elon at this point.  He's looking for unrestrained red state business felatio for his next landing spot.  No risk of anyone ever trying to protect workers and what not.  

Hmm... I would have never thought of it from that angle...
I was just thinking of the cities (Austin v Tulsa) the city of Austin would win that debate, [& this is from the mind of a native Okie]...

6 hours ago, Anastasis said:

Yes, cases.  Singapore does not even show up on the fatality chart. Their testing rate does not appear to be too dissimilar from ours (below).  The comorbidities, esp obesity, could very well be the key difference, but even controlling for differences in comorbidities their fatality rate appears to be an extreme outlier. 

Singapore population is also among the most wealthy in the world, and most of the cases are occurring among migrant workers living in camps (younger, males, lower mortality risk). I would not be shocked if there was some suppression of migrant worker death reporting as well, as they have taken some criticism of their COVID response among the migrant workers.

This all just demonstrates why simple comparisons between US data and small Asian countries such as Singapore are very challenging. 

Annotation-2020-05-22-104847b.png

Especially since Singapore as a country has roughly the same overall square mileage as Austin.  It'd be more appropriate to compare them to a larger US city if you were going to compare them.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/05/22/trump-churches-essential-coronavirus-274763

Everything Trump Touches Dies.

You're on notice, Evangelicals.

This will be an extremely effective wedge. The optics of being deemed “essential” has been a real battleground in evangelical circles. It plays into the theme of Trump as the champion of Christians, fighting for them against persecution. Christians will be hit hard with this and abortion propaganda until the election.

It’s bad for the country, worse for the church (in terms of acting out and furthering the Gospel, it’s great for the bottom line even as it rips the church apart), but it’s going to be a good play for Trump’s reelection.

1 hour ago, Horn Under a Bad Sign said:

He's an idiot. Coastie helos are made out of aluminum and carbon fiber.

• Like 1

Guest Lobo

Wait until both sides realize the "AK church" was not in Arkansas.  Are we just in a race to the bottom at this point?  

Also-Yamiche Alcindor is the best name I've heard today.  There are not enough Haitians turning to Islam during this pandemic who can still provide good journalism.  

Wait until both sides realize the "AK church" was not in Arkansas.  Are we just in a race to the bottom at this point?  
Also-Yamiche Alcindor is the best name I've heard today.  There are not enough Haitians turning to Islam during this pandemic who can still provide good journalism.  

“Ed, how do you abbreviate Arkansas?" He said, "I don't know, just start spelling it, then quit!"
-Mitch Hedberg
  • Like 3

Who's got two thumbs, two tits, and is furloughed from work pending a decrease of symptoms and two negative COVID tests at least twenty-four hours apart? 

giphy.gif

Username checks out (also, congrats on the tits)

Guest Lobo
5 minutes ago, Lurch said:

“Ed, how do you abbreviate Arkansas?" He said, "I don't know, just start spelling it, then quit!"
-Mitch Hedberg

Pos rep on that, and also because it also made me think of Gary Gulman's bit about the documentary film about how we settled on the 2-letter abbreviations for all 50 states decades ago that added uniformity to our postal system.  Which of course is now under attack.  My god, every sick fucking joke in my life is now coming to political fruition.  Does God not realize most of the time, we were just kidding?  

6 minutes ago, trauma babe said:

Thanks, they were expensive.

I’m sure they were, and I’m sure you are very proud of them.  If there were only an outlet for you to show them off...

j/k.  Thanks for all you do, and I hope you get better soon.

Pos rep on that, and also because it also made me think of Gary Gulman's bit about the documentary film about how we settled on the 2-letter abbreviations for all 50 states decades ago that added uniformity to our postal system. 

Yeah he perfected that joke

Guest Lobo

As much I despise the expensive inefficiency of the U.S. Postal Service, Gulman does make me wish Trump supporters would watch the documentary about how the state abbreviations were arrived at.  It has a folksy narrative that I think would bring people together over this one simple thing that happened in America years ago that we all sorta have in common.  The documentary isn't the most scintillating thing in the world, but it's patriotic and alluring.  I hope folks on both sides give it a shot.  

40 minutes ago, trauma babe said:

Who's got two thumbs, two tits, and is furloughed from work pending a decrease of symptoms and two negative COVID tests at least twenty-four hours apart? 

Shit.  Did I miss something?  Are you in the Covid Club?