CR: COVID-19 --Political Talk

Mrs Whiggins

2 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

I feel a Dark Ages coming on.

We pretty much have had them for a while the Democrat voters are the serfs and the Republicans are the peasants and they fight each other while the lords laugh.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

Like my youngest says, "And then the plague happened." This is the same child who remarked about his middle school years as "ignorant people repeat history and the smart kids stand by and hope we don't get slaughtered." I think he gets that from his father. He was so sunny as a toddler. To paraphrase the song, "I wish the real world would stop hassling him."

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Pimphand said:

We pretty much have had them for a while the Democrat voters are the serfs and the Republicans are the peasants and they fight each other while the lords laugh.

You may be right, but at least the peasantry used to at least parade around some intellectual underpinning to their politics. One side said they were saving the republic from government run amok while the other one said that they were trying to help the people. They even used to do some of that.

The Dems still do some of that, but they serve the rich as well. The GOPs are embracing what you describe.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

Been saying the same thing for a while. Superstition and ignorance have taken hold. A giant chunk of the American public is a horde of idiots with deep conviction that they‘re the smart ones with all the right answers and that the tangled, incoherent, preposterous, ever-morphing “truth” they’ve “discovered” is being covered up by a massive conspiracy. 

The vast majority of our species has ridden the coattails of a relatively few geniuses.  Some of us are just barely smart enough to recognize that and work to protect mankind’s accumulated knowledge. But most are too dumb to realize just how fucking dumb they are. Once those are convinced that they are the true geniuses and that the actual works of genius that separate us from the animals are a hoax or a conspiracy against them, we’re fucked.

tl;dr: we’re fucked.

Edited by BrickHorn
  • Like 4

28 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

"coming on?"  Dude.  We've been fully committed for quite some time:

https://medium.com/a-passion-to-evolve/infinite-present-the-digital-dark-age-fbad7c6d6fbf

We are literally repeating the same intellectual exercises (or more accurately, limited intellectual loop) of the actual Dark Ages.

15 minutes ago, Red Five said:

Well shit if god’s got us covered then why wear seatbelts? Why not smoke a carton of cigs a day and play Russian Roulette?

Again....dude....

“Isn’t it kind of convenient that as soon as impeachment failed, we’ve suddenly got this virus?” she asks, alternating between puffs on a Winston and her inhaler. “This was domestic political terrorism from the Democratic Party. They’ve got all these numbers inflated, especially the deaths. Nobody can explain why nobody’s dying from other causes anymore. Most of these people who are ‘dying from coronavirus’ aren’t actually dying from coronavirus. It’s domestic political terrorism. But Trump will be fine. His voters know better. We aren’t falling for it.”

We are lizards, nothing more.  And we celebrate it.

They used hamsters infected with covid to model transmission and concluded that masks confer an estimated 75% reduction in transmission.  The epidemiologic math shows that reducing social contacts by 80% (without masks) drops the R0 to below 1.0 and the virus fairly quickly stalls out and gets contained.  Basic mask wearing takes you a long way to achieving that sub-1.0 R0.  It just underscores that beating this virus can be done without a miracle of science and medicine with the right communication to all people.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, triplehorn said:

They used hamsters infected with covid to model transmission and concluded that masks confer an estimated 75% reduction in transmission.  The epidemiologic math shows that reducing social contacts by 80% (without masks) drops the R0 to below 1.0 and the virus fairly quickly stalls out and gets contained.  Basic mask wearing takes you a long way to achieving that sub-1.0 R0.  It just underscores that beating this virus can be done without a miracle of science and medicine with the right communication to all people.

You sound like a communist fascist who wants to inject Bill Gates microchips into our blood while you molest children with John Podesta under a pizza place.  You and your (((new world order))) buddies would like that, wouldn't you?  We're not gonna fall for your bullshit.  #KAGA #MAGA #WWG1WGA #PODESTASEMAILS #SUPERBRAINFORCESUPPLEMENTS

Edited by Brisketexan
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

On 5/19/2020 at 10:33 PM, jimmyjazz said:

Man.  That hurts.  I'm very sorry to hear about the loss of your friend.  I watched the clip -- dude sure could sing.  Maybe that thunder or whisper of the wind you hear next will be him telling you everything will be OK.

Godspeed, Mr. Gary Samuels.

Thank you man. He was a gigantic loss for our church and for all who knew him. Choirs from around the world used to come and perform for us solely because of him and the respect they had for who he was as a person. We aren't a megachurch. We're Parkchester Baptist and it's in a economically poor neighborhood, but that man got people to come there to hear him sing and perform with him because of the tremendous amount of respect people had for him. I did not get to see it, but a German choir made up of people from around the country came there and performed because of him. I cannot explain fully hearing that man sing on Sunday morning. He had an anointing that I will probably never have when I sing. I hope that all of us hear something telling us it'll be okay through the wind or something where we know it's him. I used to record us singing on Sunday so I still have a lot of songs to listen to and it is a bit haunting hearing his voice right now, but it'll get easier as time passes to hear Mr. Samuels. He always wanted everyone to just call him Gary, but I always wanted to be respectful of his position in the church so I never could do it. That man could sing like few others I have ever encountered in life and I hate that Covid robbed us of hearing him and being around him. I remember the day I asked to join the choir. He softly says to me that he only had two rules. Be at rehearsal and love the Lord. 

I feel for everyone else going through this who has also lost someone. Politically I could rail against so much wrong right now, but it won't bring back our friends and loved ones. Remember the good times with them and pray that they are now at peace. This virus robbed them of their life, but it did not rob us of the memories we have of what they did while they were here.

Edited by UpperWestside
  • Like 2

Guest Lobo
36 minutes ago, triplehorn said:

They would have gotten MAGA folks to wear masks if the headline didn't end in 'Huge', but rather 'Yuuuge!'  

Also the study is obviously bullshit.  You can't make the hamsters keep those tiny little masks on, so the study is flawed.  

And also, liberal hoax.  All I hear on CNN is how we have a mask shortage in this country but suddenly we have enough masks to little hamsters that probably aren't even U.S. Citizens.  That's fucking bullshit!  

I talked to a friend yesterday that is a doctor. She works at NY Presbyterian as a pediatrician and she worries about the spread of the virus to children because she feels we are not paying enough attention to that. She was really down and she is never like that. She told me there is so much misinformation out there about how this effects kids. I asked her if she gets out any and she said no. She works, gets groceries and stays home. I think she is going to lose a few friends over this because some of them refuse to wear masks and they had apparently went out as a group and sent her a picture of all of them without a mask on. I feel for her because she has to see the effects of Covid in that hospital, but to have friends who are indifferent to what is going on is just breaking her. I talked to her for a good hour and told her to just focus on herself because she is a great human being who cares deeply about children. This virus is just taking such a heavy toll on all of us. I hope we make it through having become better people who care more about those around us.

• Like 5

On 5/19/2020 at 11:00 PM, Bama Chick said:

I’m so sorry to hear about your friend [mention]UpperWestside [/mention] .

Fuck this virus is right. May his memory be a blessing.

Thank you. Sorry for the late reply. Just trying to still process this stuff. I hope you are hanging in there ma'am. I know this is all rough on you too and that it takes a toll on the mind. Keep going a day at a time and do what you can to make it through.

14 minutes ago, Bullneck said:

I just want to hate these people for showing how little they care about their fellow human beings, but I feel sadness for them more than anything. Whatever got them to a point where they care only about themselves and that others don't matter was a turning point in their life that took them down a sad, sad, road filled with anger, strife and no peace. I will never fully comprehend how some can care only about themselves and not those around them.

Guest Lobo
14 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

That would be Penn. They barely made it in. 

Penn?  Penn?  My incarcerated business partner's retarded gay niece went to Penn.  

I think how many words in that Family Guy sentence apply to the Trump family.  

30 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-brazil-travel/white-house-limits-travel-to-u-s-from-brazil-due-to-coronavirus-idUSKBN2300SK

Travel from Brazil restricted for non-US citizens. Probably should have pulled the trigger sooner. 

I know some Brazilians here and they are just angry and irate with Bolsonaro. That guy is what they all refer to as Brazilian Trump.

I cannot believe we have large swaths of our population treating this virus with such low importance. There is extensive data showing that close quarters causes rampant contagion.

Because we have a President treating the situation with such low regard, he has perpetuated the false impression that this is not serious, when it is extraordinarily serious. He could end up being responsible for the most catastrophic event in US history. I don’t even think he realizes that, nor does the huge swath of idiots that follow him.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

Because we have a President treating the situation with such low regard, he has perpetuated the false impression that this is not serious

this is actually false (small picture) and true (big picture).  most of his press conferences over the past 8 weeks have expressed how serious it actually is, along with input from the doctors.

the much much bigger problem is that he's spent the past 4 years riling up his idiots and convincing them that everyone but fox is "fake news" and propaganda out to get him.  he insults responsible reporters and their networks, calls them the enemy of the state, and does the same with red/blue state governors.  his "us vs them" attitude is the issue and has been for a while.  so you have idiot governors and idiot citizens trained to "not trust" anyone telling them valuable information.  it's fucking pathetic.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

I cannot believe we have large swaths of our population treating this virus with such low importance. There is extensive data showing that close quarters causes rampant contagion.

Because we have a President treating the situation with such low regard, he has perpetuated the false impression that this is not serious, when it is extraordinarily serious. He could end up being responsible for the most catastrophic event in US history. I don’t even think he realizes that, nor does the huge swath of idiots that follow him.

It’s like one of those cautionary tales you read about in the Bible.  The entire Trump presidency has been a horror show for people with the stomach to pay attention closely.  The consequences of this period will go on for decades. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, UpperWestside said:

I think she is going to lose a few friends over this because some of them refuse to wear masks and they had apparently went out as a group and sent her a picture of all of them without a mask on. 

I've lost multiple friends over this and their support for Trump and it's been one of the best decisions I've ever made. I make a point of earnestly wishing them the best in life and that the door is always open to reconnect but any relationship has to be based on a basic, explicit shared value system that places the Golden Rule at the top of their priority list, and not their need for uniqueness, self-esteem, or "winning" some vague, internal status contest you were unaware you were an involuntary participant. There are things I miss about those relationships but the things I don't reconfirm I made the right decision and will likely have to make again with what is now a fraction of the trepidation. 

• Like 6

10 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

If he would just lead mask wearing by example instead of chasing miracles in a pill bottle it would make a huge difference. 

He’d rather cause death and poverty than lose a wedge issue. Trump is the worst kind of leader. He encourages his base to indulge their self-destructive desires. He provides no guidance. It’s better for him to spoil his followers and feed them shit about how the Democrats are mean and bossy. He’s like the divorced dad who gives his kids weed and booze and a place to hang out while they’re skipping school.  

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Al Bundy's Napoleon Hand said:

I've lost multiple friends over this and their support for Trump and it's been one of the best decisions I've ever made. I make a point of earnestly wishing them the best in life and that the door is always open to reconnect but any relationship has to be based on a basic, explicit shared value system that places the Golden Rule at the top of their priority list, and not their need for uniqueness, self-esteem, or "winning" some vague, internal status contest you were unaware you were an involuntary participant. There are things I miss about those relationships but the things I don't reconfirm I made the right decision and will likely have to make again with what is now a fraction of the trepidation. 

I've had to cut a lot of ties as well.  Doesn't bother me.  I have to wonder about someone with a defect big enough to ignore the reality of what's going on in the US now.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

That would be Penn. They barely made it bought their way in. 

On a related note, we crossed The Hill off our prep school list when we realized Don, Jr. went there.  Obviously not much educating going on there.  

Edited by Bullneck

25 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

If he would just lead mask wearing by example instead of chasing miracles in a pill bottle it would make a huge difference. 

The simplest damn thing would make a huge difference with his supporters and with the outcome of this crisis, but when you have a raging inferiority complex coupled with a raging overcompensation reflex compounded over a consequence-free lifetime and the asinine belief you have done nothing that warrants forgiveness, the only option is the double-down (or the hilarious gear grind of denying what you've said and done is what you've said and done).

• Like 1

3 hours ago, UpperWestside said:

I talked to a friend yesterday that is a doctor. She works at NY Presbyterian as a pediatrician and she worries about the spread of the virus to children because she feels we are not paying enough attention to that. She was really down and she is never like that. She told me there is so much misinformation out there about how this effects kids. I asked her if she gets out any and she said no. She works, gets groceries and stays home. I think she is going to lose a few friends over this because some of them refuse to wear masks and they had apparently went out as a group and sent her a picture of all of them without a mask on. I feel for her because she has to see the effects of Covid in that hospital, but to have friends who are indifferent to what is going on is just breaking her. I talked to her for a good hour and told her to just focus on herself because she is a great human being who cares deeply about children. This virus is just taking such a heavy toll on all of us. I hope we make it through having become better people who care more about those around us.

Is she single?  Hot?

Because I have no problem with being a “kept man”.

• Haha 1

Guest Lobo
1 hour ago, Message Board User said:

Say what you want about their war-mongering ideologies, at least the German marches in the 30's and 40's had a sense of pride about their appearance, the cadence of their step, and their accessorizing.  the group in that first video looks like someone barged into an indoor noodling competition and yelled, "Let's go y'all, get your guns, we gonna march on the Government!"  No organization, no pride, no consistent messaging, no theme to dress or signage, just a rag-tag walking stereotype of people who look like they don't walk enough in real life.  At least the SS had a cardio program.  

12 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Say what you want about their war-mongering ideologies, at least the German marches in the 30's and 40's had a sense of pride about their appearance, the cadence of their step, and their accessorizing.  the group in that first video looks like someone barged into an indoor noodling competition and yelled, "Let's go y'all, get your guns, we gonna march on the Government!"  No organization, no pride, no consistent messaging, no theme to dress or signage, just a rag-tag walking stereotype of people who look like they don't walk enough in real life.  At least the SS had a cardio program.  

Have a little rep for cardio program.