CR: COVID-19 --Political Talk

Mrs Whiggins

4 minutes ago, Zepol87 said:

Yea he is a bitch. I was out of town for work in Feb and my gf got Flu type B and it fucked her up. She went to walgreens to get her prescription and her PCP told her to wear a mask for 48 hours. She caught people taking pictures of her in the mask and a had a couple dudes tell her the mask was worthless. This was all before this shit started

She should have taken it off, got close and said “Sorry - What was that you said?!? Can you say it again? I can’t hear you because I’ve got a really bad flu! *cough* *cough*”

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Zepol87 said:

Yea he is a bitch. I was out of town for work in Feb and my gf got Flu type B and it fucked her up. She went to walgreens to get her prescription and her PCP told her to wear a mask for 48 hours. She caught people taking pictures of her in the mask and a had a couple dudes tell her the mask was worthless. This was all before this shit started

They always only fuck with women and old people. 

• Like 1

I’m going to begin implementing a two question survey to my friends and my male family members that are voting For Trump.
1) Any guy that gets a spray tan or uses bronzer is a pussy, right?
2) So why are you voting for that pussy?
I get what you're saying but let's not pretend Biden doesn't do the same thing. He just has a better hair and make up person.
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, DCA_HORN said:
13 minutes ago, StassneyHorn said:
I’m going to begin implementing a two question survey to my friends and my male family members that are voting For Trump.

I get what you're saying but let's not pretend Biden doesn't do the same thing. He just has a better hair and make up person.

I’ll throw in a “city boy” or “Manhattan.”

8 hours ago, Bigpoppapump said:

Today is the day, on the cusp of 100k.

anything under 2 million US deaths and we should immediately make Trump President for life.  well, actually, we should do that no matter what happens.

-Republicans 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, DCA_HORN said:
34 minutes ago, StassneyHorn said:

Biden doesn't use bronzer or spray tan, never had scalp reduction surgery and doesn't sport the most ludicrous combover in history. Yes, when you're going to be under the TV lights then you're going to wear makeup and comb your hair. That's not remotely the same thing as the grotesque monstrosity that is Donald Trump. 

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Biden doesn't use bronzer or spray tan, never had scalp reduction surgery and doesn't sport the most ludicrous combover in history. Yes, when you're going to be under the TV lights then you're going to wear makeup and comb your hair. That's not remotely the same thing as the grotesque monstrosity that is Donald Trump. 

Everyone gets made up for an in-studio TV appearance, and probably for many or most public appearances in an official capacity that will be televised.

Teh Donald does that shit full time.  Because he's a vain little man.

7 hours ago, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

Actually, I had a Trumper tell me over the weekend that some of the deaths were people that died in a auto accident but tested positive for Covid in the autopsy so they blamed Covid for the death.  They did not have proof of this so I guess it was a talking point from right wing radio or TV.

Radiologist friend of mine made a similar comment about how heart attack deaths by people who don't go to the hospital are getting counted as COVID.  I mean this guy is smart (and a UT grad); it's mind bottling.  

2 hours ago, cactusflinthead said:

Huh. Maybe someone he knows got it. 

As if Hannity gives a shit about anyone he knows.  The guy would sell his grandma for a few bucks.  Missouri is a red state with a tendency to turn purple.  He wants those olds to vote Trump in November.  He doesn't give a shit about NY voters or NY olds even though he is from there.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, FondrenRoad said:

As if Hannity gives a shit about anyone he knows.  The guy would sell his grandma for a few bucks.

There was a video of some Grandma tearing into Hannity several years ago at a campaign event in Pennsylvania before he really became big time. It was the early days of Hannity & Colmes. He admitted to her it was all an act for TV. That was many years (and million$) ago and that video has been scrubbed from the interweb.

[MAGA]These folks are just misunderstood.  They mean no harm.[/MAGA]

https://www.thedailybeast.com/anti-lockdown-protesters-now-calling-for-dems-to-die

As the head of Cowboys for Trump, Couy Griffin has led pro-Trump horse rides through Washington, D.C., and posed for a photo in the White House with Donald Trump. He’s a superfan of the president and on May 17, he made the case that Democrats should die.

“I’ve come to a place where I’ve come to a conclusion where the only good Democrat is a dead Democrat,” Griffin said to cheers at a rally at a New Mexico church. He was there to defy a public safety order pertaining to the coronavirus. 

Griffin, a county commissioner in the state, hastily added that he only meant Democrats who were dead in “the political sense”—an effort at cleanup he repeated in an interview with The Daily Beast on Tuesday.

“I could’ve chosen a different verbiage, you know. I guess I need to be more careful when I choose the words that I speak,” Griffin said. “But you know, it’s just so hypocritical of the left how they’re blowing this up, like I’m some hate-speech murderer.”

But in the interview, Griffin also repeated his claim that “the only good Democrat is a dead one” and signaled that he still thinks some top Democrats—such as governors Ralph Northam (D-VA) and Gretchen Whitmer (D-MI)—could be guilty of treason and the punishment that comes with it.

“You get to pick your poison: you either go before a firing squad, or you get the end of the rope,” Griffin said. 

Asked by The Daily Beast about whether anti-lockdown protesters are increasingly considering violence, he didn’t hesitate in his reply. 

“I’ll tell you what, partner, as far as I’m concerned, there’s not an option that’s not on the table,” Griffin said. 

Spoiler

Envisioning a scenario in which one's political opponents are hurt or dead is about as dark a turn as there can be for political discourse. And yet, Griffin has company. Anti-lockdown protesters across the country are ramping up their calls for violence against Democrats, even as states relax the coronavirus restrictions they’re protesting. 

On Sunday, anti-lockdown protesters in Frankfort, Kentucky, hung an effigy of Democratic Gov. Andy Beshear from a tree outside the state capitol. The effigy bore Beshear’s face and a message: “Sic Semper Tyrannis.” The slogan, which means “thus always to tyrants,” is associated with the assassination of Julius Caesar and has become popular with anti-government groups. 

In North Carolina, prominent anti-lockdown activist Adam Smith posted a Facebook Live video on Friday saying he and other activists were “willing to kill people” over coronavirus restrictions. 

“But are we willing to kill people? Are we willing to lay down our lives?” Smith said in the video. “We have to say, ‘Yes.’ We have to say, ‘Yes.’ Is that violence? Is that terrorism? No, it’s not terrorism. I’m not trying to strike fear in people by saying, ‘I’m going to kill you.’ I’m gonna say, ‘If you bring guns, I’m gonna bring guns. If you’re armed with this, we’re going to be armed with this.’”

This isn’t the first time Smith has toyed with the idea of using violence to oppose coronavirus rules. He appeared at an armed “Big Igloo” protest in the state, in a reference to the “Boogaloo”—a movement of armed anti-government extremists eager for a second civil war that they’ve dubbed the “Boogaloo.” Other armed Boogaloo activists around the country have rallied to oppose coronavirus stay-at-home and public safety orders, with several showing up to “defend” businesses operating in defiance of them.

Smith has since tried to distance himself from his “willing to kill” video, claiming on Monday in a local television interview that he was just making a reference to the American Revolution. 

“I’m just doing this in the mindset of 1776,” Smith said. 

He didn’t respond to a request for comment. But the growing extremism from him and other anti-lockdown protesters and groups has created some fractures in the movement. Smith’s wife, Ashley Smith, is the co-founder of “Reopen NC,” a North Carolina Facebook group devoted to opposing pandemic-related restrictions. In April, Ashley Smith told The Daily Beast that she wasn’t concerned about catching COVID-19. “When it’s my time to go,” she explained. “God’s going to call me home.” 

But Ashley Smith’s commitment to risking arrest over coronavirus restrictions has split her from at least one of her Facebook group’s founding members. In late April, ReOpen NC co-founder Kristen Cochran publicly broke with the group, saying she and Smith disagreed over “civil disobedience.” 

“This movement has taken a turn that we were not in agreement with,” Cochran wrote on Facebook. 

Edited by Francisco 2.0

4 minutes ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

“I could’ve chosen a different verbiage, you know. I guess I need to be more careful when I choose the words that I speak,” Griffin said. “But you know, it’s just so hypocritical of the left how they’re blowing this up, like I’m some hate-speech murderer

Aw, he was just funnin. Come on, learn what a joke is, jeez. 

32 minutes ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

https://www.thedailybeast.com/anti-lockdown-protesters-now-calling-for-dems-to-die

Hide contents

Envisioning a scenario in which one's political opponents are hurt or dead is about as dark a turn as there can be for political discourse. And yet, Griffin has company. Anti-lockdown protesters across the country are ramping up their calls for violence against Democrats, even as states relax the coronavirus restrictions they’re protesting. 

On Sunday, anti-lockdown protesters in Frankfort, Kentucky, hung an effigy of Democratic Gov. Andy Beshear from a tree outside the state capitol. The effigy bore Beshear’s face and a message: “Sic Semper Tyrannis.” The slogan, which means “thus always to tyrants,” is associated with the assassination of Julius Caesar and has become popular with anti-government groups. 

In North Carolina, prominent anti-lockdown activist Adam Smith posted a Facebook Live video on Friday saying he and other activists were “willing to kill people” over coronavirus restrictions. 

“But are we willing to kill people? Are we willing to lay down our lives?” Smith said in the video. “We have to say, ‘Yes.’ We have to say, ‘Yes.’ Is that violence? Is that terrorism? No, it’s not terrorism. I’m not trying to strike fear in people by saying, ‘I’m going to kill you.’ I’m gonna say, ‘If you bring guns, I’m gonna bring guns. If you’re armed with this, we’re going to be armed with this.’”

This isn’t the first time Smith has toyed with the idea of using violence to oppose coronavirus rules. He appeared at an armed “Big Igloo” protest in the state, in a reference to the “Boogaloo”—a movement of armed anti-government extremists eager for a second civil war that they’ve dubbed the “Boogaloo.” Other armed Boogaloo activists around the country have rallied to oppose coronavirus stay-at-home and public safety orders, with several showing up to “defend” businesses operating in defiance of them.

Smith has since tried to distance himself from his “willing to kill” video, claiming on Monday in a local television interview that he was just making a reference to the American Revolution. 

He didn’t respond to a request for comment. But the growing extremism from him and other anti-lockdown protesters and groups has created some fractures in the movement. Smith’s wife, Ashley Smith, is the co-founder of “Reopen NC,” a North Carolina Facebook group devoted to opposing pandemic-related restrictions. In April, Ashley Smith told The Daily Beast that she wasn’t concerned about catching COVID-19. “When it’s my time to go,” she explained. “God’s going to call me home.” 

But Ashley Smith’s commitment to risking arrest over coronavirus restrictions has split her from at least one of her Facebook group’s founding members. In late April, ReOpen NC co-founder Kristen Cochran publicly broke with the group, saying she and Smith disagreed over “civil disobedience.” 

“This movement has taken a turn that we were not in agreement with,” Cochran wrote on Facebook. 

This "libtard" has the weapons and will to shoot back. 

• Like 7

44 minutes ago, wildcat09 said:

There’s absolutely no way a Trump loss in November doesn’t result in violence from these people.

The foundation of hardcore, irreversible Trumpism is victimhood.  Any federal election that doesn't go their way from now on will be seen as systemic oppression.   

• Like 1

https://apnews.com/a1fe2766d9c24d628ad02d4e8fcfe2c5

An interesting article on empathy from past Presidents compared to the so-called President in charge now.  Not much surprising, but it was good to be reminded of certain moments.

Empathy was Clinton’s wheelhouse. The rhetorically fumbly Bush grabbed eloquence by the bullhorn. The cool and controlled Obama cried.

Trump? “I’ve never seen a president with less capacity for empathy,” said Andrew J. Polsky, a political science professor at Hunter College, City University of New York, who has studied such leadership traits for decades. “He doesn’t even try. ... It’s way outside his emotional comfort zone.”

That's the rub.  I have problems with all of Trump's predecessors (some more than others), but at given times they all expressed what appeared to be genuine empathy.  Even if those expressions were somehow being faked (no way to know), they appeared genuine, and uh, "Presidential."

Trump doesn't have an empathetic bone in his body.  He rose on anger and hatred and blame, specifics be damned.  His cult shows the same characteristics.  It didn't start with Trump (see Rush thread), nor is Trump the reason for all our problems.  It is just startling to see how much kindness and empathy in general that we've lost.  

And thus Trump doesn't even pretend to care about those who lost lives to a virus we didn't know about 6 months ago.  Not one offering of sympathy, even faked.  

Edited by MC Fresh Breath
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, wildcat09 said:

There’s absolutely no way a Trump loss in November doesn’t result in violence from these people.

My wife and I were discussing this as a serious topic on our walk last night.  I mean, to the point of worrying about our son, who will be of fighting age in the wake of this election.  We really don't see a way out that doesn't involve armed insurrection by an insane death cult that makes up 35-40% of Americans.  Will it be well organized?  No.  But when/if they get local law enforcement and/or members of the military to side with them.....that's where it could get really fucking hardcore.  Imagine driving through Bent Dick, Texas, where the local sheriff is a Q-tard, he has a large armed posse of locals join him, and they set up road blocks.  That "Beto" sticker on your car may be a real fucking problem.

That report around the correlation between RNA load of CV19 in waste sludge as a leading predictor of case spikes and hospitalizations was a cool read. Would be really interesting to see this deployed more broadly across US as a means to track potential spikes in cases (especially on heels of Memorial Day weekend). It is damn near a perfect correlation.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

My wife and I were discussing this as a serious topic on our walk last night.  I mean, to the point of worrying about our son, who will be of fighting age in the wake of this election.  We really don't see a way out that doesn't involve armed insurrection by an insane death cult that makes up 35-40% of Americans.  Will it be well organized?  No.  But when/if they get local law enforcement and/or members of the military to side with them.....that's where it could get really fucking hardcore.  Imagine driving through Bent Dick, Texas, where the local sheriff is a Q-tard, he has a large armed posse of locals join him, and they set up road blocks.  That "Beto" sticker on your car may be a real fucking problem.

There will be no leadership like a sheriff involved. Leaders in Trumpism are similar to radical imams. They don't put themselves on the line. They incite others to act alone or in small groups.

There will likely be a huge uptick in lone wolf incel terror attacks, and no doubt that many Americans will be in the wrong place at the wrong time, but there will be no insurrection.

While Trumptards may make up 35%, you have to remember that most of them are just whiny self proclaimed victims. There are some who are dangerous, but they are a minority. 

How many of those fat gun toters at the Michigan statehouse do you believe actually have the balls to use the weapon they carry?  Those crowds are actually beneficial to us all since it gives guys like that friends that they wouldn't ordinarily have and limits their likelihood to shoot up a mall as a depressed solo shooter.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

Reveal hidden contents

Fuck him and the horse he rode in on. 

Edited by Fudge Nuggets
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, FondrenRoad said:

While Trumptards may make up 35%, you have to remember that most of them are just whiny self proclaimed victims. There are some who are dangerous, but they are a minority. 

How many of those fat gun toters at the Michigan statehouse do you believe actually have the balls to use the weapon they carry?  Those crowds are actually beneficial to us all since it gives guys like that friends that they wouldn't ordinarily have and limits their likelihood to shoot up a mall as a depressed solo shooter.

Agree with this, and I would add this group felt much more threatened by having a black president than they will facing four years of Joe Biden in charge. I'm more concerned with violence related to voter suppression than post-election.

38 minutes ago, BrazilHorn said:

That report around the correlation between RNA load of CV19 in waste sludge as a leading predictor of case spikes and hospitalizations was a cool read. Would be really interesting to see this deployed more broadly across US as a means to track potential spikes in cases (especially on heels of Memorial Day weekend). It is damn near a perfect correlation.

One of my professors from the U of M is doing research on that here in Minnesota. I agree, this is good stuff. 

43 minutes ago, BrazilHorn said:

4 minutes ago, GopherRock said:

One of my professors from the U of M is doing research on that here in Minnesota. I agree, this is good stuff. 

It's truly fascinating, and awesome.  I LOVE "workarounds" like this -- use easily available information to give you advance warning as to broad trends/threats.  It's not perfectly precise, of course (it can't give you an exact number of cases), but it looks like it's a good overall trend-spotter.  If we can put that into place across the country, we can have advance warning that, say, Waco is experiencing a significant upward swing in infections, so 1) hospitals can prepare, and 2) local officials can re-impose (or enforce) some measured restrictions to knock transmission back down again.

Simple science, shortcut to important information -- that's kick-ass stuff.

• Like 1

Cowboy Couy reminds me of the false image "cowboy churches" try to project.  In reality, they are havens for far-right, racist pigs to gather and promulgate the message, but they like to act as if they're just aw shucks, baseball-hot-dogs-apple-pie-Chevrolet people doing God's work.  Nope.

7 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Cowboy Couy reminds me of the false image "cowboy churches" try to project.  In reality, they are havens for far-right, racist pigs to gather and promulgate the message, but they like to act as if they're just aw shucks, baseball-hot-dogs-apple-pie-Chevrolet people doing God's work.  Nope.

Perfectly describes my racist, POS East Texas extended family. 

• Fuck You 1

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

There will be local incidents, but I wouldn't worry about some kind of civil war.  Militias talk a good game, but the second the guard or fed actually deployed a response half of those cosplay warriors would shit their pants and break.  Paper targets don't shoot back.  

Sheriffs can get away with the passive non-enforcement stuff because they are elected and it isn't worth the effort for states or the fed to go out and fight.  Its a big leap for one to go from passive-aggressive bullshit to actual criminal conduct.  And again, all the posses in the world mean dick when a couple of Bradleys roll up and start lining those 25mms up on targets.  

51 minutes ago, GopherRock said:

I heard a Stanford microbiologist talking about the same capacity to measure viral load in sewage as a prevalence indicator and that they're ready to talk contracts to deploy their system to states/communities.  With the transmission rate of this bug (4 day doubling time unopposed), a full week of advance notice is an eternity.  Getting targeted counties/communities to temporarily double down on mask wearing and distancing could stop this bug cold with that kind of early warning.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FondrenRoad said:

There will be no leadership like a sheriff involved. Leaders in Trumpism are similar to radical imams. They don't put themselves on the line. They incite others to act alone or in small groups.

There will likely be a huge uptick in lone wolf incel terror attacks, and no doubt that many Americans will be in the wrong place at the wrong time, but there will be no insurrection.

It doesn't take balls to shoot someone.

I agree that the largest threat is probably lone wolf-type mass shooters. But there has been a lot of growth in the far right militias.  Small, loosely organized groups with a modicum of strategic and tactical intelligence could do some serious damage for a time. They wouldn't "win" in any real sense of the word, but they could cause some real problems, particularly if law enforcement isn't committed to stopping them. Luckily, most of their members are dumb and/or certifiably crazy, but they include plenty of veterans who know their shit too. And the massive unemployment of people under 40 that we're seeing now will only swell their numbers.  You're underestimating the threat they pose.

Edited by wildcat09
  • Like 3