CR: COVID-19 --Political Talk

Mrs Whiggins

38 minutes ago, UT_OB1 said:

Yeah @labevo that is dumb fucking take that I just don't understand why so many people on this board and even in DT rush to make.  Why do people keep jumping to "those dumb redneck Republicans" or those "dumb snowflake libitards." 

NY, NJ, CU, CT, MA, and RI are the worst 5 states for deaths per capita, and it isn't even close.  Louisiana at 6th would have to almost triple their deaths to catch up with NY and NJ.  Florida with their spring break and beaches that have been on everyone's twitter feed would have to have 10x deaths to catch up to NY and NJ.  And Texas, that apparently never does anything right, would need to have 20x.  It might happen, but its not an R or D thing.  It is a population density and mass transit per capita thing, with a sprinkle of domestic and international per day travelers on top.    

The areas with high rates where dense metro areas in early phases of this situation when the US had not comes to terms with the seriousness. Now that we have to an extent, R leaning states seem to refuse to take the appropriate policies.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, LABEVO said:

The areas with high rates where dense metro areas in early phases of this situation when the US had not comes to terms with the seriousness. Now that we have to an extent, R leaning states seem to refuse to take the appropriate policies.

So in the Northeast, no one knew the virus was going to be THAT contagious?  No one had any idea?

Yeah[mention=4858]labevo[/mention] that is dumb fucking take that I just don't understand why so many people on this board and even in DT rush to make.  Why do people keep jumping to "those dumb redneck Republicans" or those "dumb snowflake libitards." 

NY, NJ, CU, CT, MA, and RI are the worst 5 states for deaths per capita, and it isn't even close.  Louisiana at 6th would have to almost triple their deaths to catch up with NY and NJ.  Florida with their spring break and beaches that have been on everyone's twitter feed would have to have 10x deaths to catch up to NY and NJ.  And Texas, that apparently never does anything right, would need to have 20x.  It might happen, but its not an R or D thing.  It is a population density and mass transit per capita thing, with a sprinkle of domestic and international per day travelers on top.    

I think it's more just a jab at Republicans for being old and fat. Fair to call that out as being poor taste if yoy want, but I don't know that it was a serious statement. Edit: Well he is kinda doubling down here so maybe so.

I'm not sure population density is a primary factor. Detroit is not that dense. New Orleans is not that dense. Both had significant outbreaks that stained hospital systems. New Orleans was driven by Mardi Gras, a hugely crowded event. No idea what happened in Detroit tbh.

Chicago, Philadelphia, San Francisco, LA and DC range from pretty dense to extremely dense and have kept things in check, despite those northern cities being very interconnected with New York and thosr California cities on the front line of importing the virus from China (with the caveat of the difference in strains). Even now as cases rise in CA, LA and SF's daily new cases are trending down over the past two weeks per NYT. SF in particular hasn't had a bunch of cases despite being the most densely populated city in America outside NYC. Transit makes more sense but even then, see Chicago, DC, Philly, and SF. Obviously higher density facilitates opportunities for spread, but I don't think it's fair to say that's the main factor relative to behavior in regards to large crowds, closed spaces, etc.

18 hours ago, InkaUtexas said:

That is chicken shit politicians avoiding their responsibility and putting business owners and employees in harms way of the dumb-asses.  Pass a law that makes it a $200 fine if someone does not wear a mask in certain places (grocery stores, etc). Who ever receives a ticket can get the ticket dismissed if they test negative within 5 days of receiving the ticket.

I would only support such a law where ever groceries are sold. Yet it would be a bad idea to pass such a law because these freaking politicians would probably require it at a restaurant where people are there to eat. It would just be a mess but a mess that was handled via politicians that have been elected and not something pawned off on people that are just trying to make a living.

There are a lot of County Judges and Mayors in this state who are taking their cues from Abbott.  They aren't going to make businesses require masks.  Abbott is going to needlessly kill a lot of Texans because of his political ambition.

19 hours ago, StruggleBus said:

"Government can't make people wear masks"

"Aha! But the government can make business require patrons to wear masks! Counties and municipalities solved the riddle three months later! Congratulations"

So fucking stupid. This was 100% Abbott finding an opportunity to walk this back because some judge in San Antonio found a loophole. 

19 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Yep.  Entirely an attempt at a face-saving move by the quivering bowl of shit-flavored gelatin that is our governor.

it's really incredible, the cynicism involved in the governor's office. i mean, he knows he fucked up now, though he'll likely try to blame the protests. but his lack of courage to just own masking up is amazing to me. i do not know nor understand how masks became a political wedge. if you want to open up the economy before a vaccine, you should be the most supportive of masks. fucking texas republicans are the worst republicans. i actually hate them.

• Like 4

The gall of these people.  They don't have a crystal ball.  If they had functioning brains, they'd see that the odds are likely it WON'T be safe, but hey, who cares?

"It will be safe for Texas public school students, teachers, and staff to return to school campuses for in-person instruction this fall. 

The gall of these people.  They don't have a crystal ball.  If they had functioning brains, they'd see that the odds are likely it WON'T be safe, but hey, who cares?
"It will be safe for Texas public school students, teachers, and staff to return to school campuses for in-person instruction this fall. 

I'll issue the same challenge I always issue these people...

Come shadow me for 5 school days.
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, Post Oak said:

My kids will not and I'm guessing in 2 months his tune changes

Daughter already deferred her freshman semester at George Washington. They are currently saying all Freshmen must live in dorms and if they are positive will be isolated. This is the university's official position. I laugh though since the lead Pandemic expert was on CNN saying everyone needs to be ready for a second closure of institutions, etc. 

How they think they are going to get 18-20 year olds to social distance is beyond me.  

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Firemans4Horn said:

Greg Abbott is a dangerous idiot. Fuck him. 

"When students return, school districts will not be required to mandate students wear masks or test them for COVID-19 symptoms, said Frank Ward, a spokesperson for the Texas Education Agency."

Similar loophole? School districts aren't required to mandate students wear masks but they can require it if they choose?

23 minutes ago, babysdaddy said:

also, good news, looks like protests were not big spreading events due to being outdoors and lots of mask wearing

https://www.wsj.com/articles/recent-protests-may-not-be-covid-19-transmission-hotspots-11592498020?mod=hp_lead_pos3

I certainly can't speak to all of them, but at the big Austin march a couple of Sundays ago, that was the case.  It was hot and outdoors, with a slight breeze.  People actually tried to avoid packing together.  And seeing someone without a mask was really unusual.

• Like 1

It's reassuring to see there may not be major spikes from those events.  On the flip side, it just makes the debate with The Morons all that more difficult. 

"SEE, it's just like the flu, it's no big deal, even in those crowds it didn't spread."

"Well, those events were outdoors, and most people were wearing masks.  Those two effects significantly reduce transmission rate."

"YOU DON'T KNOW THAT!!!"

It's just like the quarantine-in-place mandates that clearly helped slow the spread.  Joe Bob Mufflerman knows just as much as those "scientists" and "doctors" and all their fancy learnin'.  Just ask him.

51 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

I certainly can't speak to all of them, but at the big Austin march a couple of Sundays ago, that was the case.  It was hot and outdoors, with a slight breeze.  People actually tried to avoid packing together.  And seeing someone without a mask was really unusual.

Same in San Marcos. Of course no where near the numbers of people, but they were trying to do the right thing. Well until the speakers left and the bands started. The river crew all showed up and it was just a party. Few masks at all. 

What concerns me about this NOT being the protests is then it is just opening up. The only solution is closing back down and I don't see that happening. 

4 minutes ago, InkaUtexas said:

The only solution is closing back down

But the hell of it is, that's not the only solution.  Dial BACK on some of the indoor group things (sorry, crowded bars), and require masks, and we're at a manageable transmission rate.  It's not that hard....but apparently, it's too hard for us to do.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

But the hell of it is, that's not the only solution.  Dial BACK on some of the indoor group things (sorry, crowded bars), and require masks, and we're at a manageable transmission rate.  It's not that hard....but apparently, it's too hard for us to do.

Agree, but don't even see that happening. We are expecting new guidelines/rules today in Hays. Will be interesting to see how far the County Judge is willing to go. He has been back and forth all week. 

1 minute ago, InkaUtexas said:

Agree, but don't even see that happening. We are expecting new guidelines/rules today in Hays. Will be interesting to see how far the County Judge is willing to go. He has been back and forth all week. 

Nope, it won't happen -- not enough, at least.  We're dead-set on self-destructive behavior, and we're committed.

4 hours ago, WBT said:

I mean NY is slowing because an estimated >25% of people have had it right?  That's not enough for herd immunity but it's enough to lower R.

NY is slowing because they shutdown. Revisit this thought when they re-open to the extent Texas has.

Sensible give and take:  Tomorrow, the heavily populated tri-county area surrounding PDX begins Phase I re-opening, but starting next Wednesday, a mask wearing mandate begins for all people entering public indoor places involving any and all types of business - a requirement only in a limited number of qualifying counties across the state.  

19 minutes ago, justhookit said:

NY is slowing because they shutdown. Revisit this thought when they re-open to the extent Texas has.

Yeah I agree with you there.  They will spike up again as they open up.  We'll see how much.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LABEVO said:

i cant tell if this is satire or not. sadly, i dont think it is....

The asshole with no mask holding his phone out to film what is happening, the barista having her phone out to film what is happening, someone else in line with their phone out to film what is happening, it is like standing in a room with mirrors on both sides and seeing infinite versions of yourself. (or in this case the interaction)

Just crazy how everyone is looking for their 3 seconds of internet fame/infamy