CR: COVID-19 --Political Talk

Mrs Whiggins

8 minutes ago, BrickHorn said:

Just looked at the Austin and Travis County orders and the exceptions are much narrower. For example, there doesn’t appear to be a general exclusion for exercise. 

Yeah, I assumed he was going to do something, but not go far enough. Bars and the River run this town. 

2 hours ago, Beau Vine said:

What is the Y-axis supposed to be on this thing?

You’d think from looking at that graph that the virus first hit densely populated urban areas and then worked its way to less populated rural areas. Reminds me of the pirate extinction / global warming graph

3 hours ago, Post Oak said:

Bawitdabawl

Got the long hair swinging, middle finger in the air
Snake skin suits, 65 Chevelle
See me ride in sin hear the rebel yell
I won't live to tell, so if you do
Give the next generation a big 'fuck you'
Who knew I'd blow up like Oklahoma
Said fuck high school, pissed on my diploma
Smell the aroma, check my hits
I know it stinks in here, cause I'm the Shit

22 hours ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Brother was trying to convince that Trump dying from C19 would be horrible b/c of the conspiracy theories that would ensue.  I looked at him like a crazy person and just walked away. 

I want him alive so we can watch him get beaten like a dog.

• Like 1

Would be interested to know what sort of respiratory functions that thing can get other than pulse oximetry, because it sure as hell isn't measuring respirations, ease of breathing, ETCo2, etc.

Even if it could, not a chance hospitals would give them to staff for the same reason they won't test all of us regularly: they can't afford the risk for so many staff to have to quarantine at one time.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, trauma babe said:

Would be interested to know what sort of respiratory functions that thing can get other than pulse oximetry, because it sure as hell isn't measuring respirations, ease of breathing, ETCo2, etc.

Even if it could, not a chance hospitals would give them to staff for the same reason they won't test all of us regularly: they can't afford the risk for so many staff to have to quarantine at one time.

Well that and those penny pinching assholes sure as shit aren't going to spend the few hundred bucks each to procure them for y'all.

23 hours ago, WBT said:

So in the Northeast, no one knew the virus was going to be THAT contagious?  No one had any idea?

It had just hit and was brand new so science was learning quickly but best practices hadn't been established yet. Then thanks to the idiot in charge of country calling it a hoax for 3 months we were woefully unprepared and the republican idiots in charge once again made a massive fuck up by telling people not to wear masks. They lied because they wanted to conserve the N95s for health care workers but in doing so created a subset of the population that believed them and still refuse to wear masks. You know, idiots. 

But since that initial phase and shut down when places have had a chance to regroup it's been the democrat states even in the highly dense NE that are steadily dropping in infection rates while trump infested places like Texas and Florida are getting out of control and killing thousands more of their people than needed to die. And we're only at the beginning of that insanity. 

Getting caught off guard was horrible but refusing to adjust now that the virus is better known and proven defense strategies are well known is downright criminal. 

9 hours ago, Bama Chick said:

Hey, cool idea!

But how about we make them available for doctors and nurses and other essential workers instead of flipping basketball players.

Are nurses millionaires? 

Well LeBron James and Kevin Durant are. 

And I'm positive if trauma babe or whatever faceless nurse were millionaires they'd furnish a whole hospital which Uncle Adam Silver is more than happy to do...

For millionaire basketball players only.

Edited by Wanker Bob

Any recs for a site that shows US hospitalizations in chart form, say from early March through now?  I have a Trumper acquaintance who swears that Trump's statement about the virus being almost nonexistent at this point is true.

(No, I'm not so naive to think a chart will prove anything to him, but it's still fun to periodically pummel the idiot.)

regarding schools...the 'kids, families and teachers need to suck it up and take their chances, things have to get back to normal now' attitude im seeing this morning is...wow. 😐

i mean, i kinda get it, as i was voicing concerns regarding our incoming college freshman last night...but it's really coming across as cavalier.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Horn Under a Bad Sign said:

We haven’t given up. It’s just that 40% of us never took this seriously in the first place and then decided it was their god-given right to go out and do the exact stupid shit that maximizes spread. A significant portion of our population is stupid, reckless, selfish, and belligerent. Once they were told that Liberal Democrats, New Yorkers, and the Deep State wanted them to wear masks and social distance, their petulant, contrarian reaction was inevitable. 

I can’t believe how many grown adults in this country are intellectual toddlers. All it took was a little reverse psychology and they enthusiastically took up the cause of spreading a plague. Fucking morons.

• Like 7

Last weekend I went to the store to pick up some milk--mask use was way down. Today, stopped in to grab another gallon and masks were everywhere except maybe one or two people. The recent uptick and info getting out has people being a little more considerate perhaps.

• Like 3

Why are our Republican leaders nearly universally scientifically stupid?  

OF course only in Texas can the State Board of education be CERTAIN that Texas children will be safe going back to school in just over 2 months?  Well as everyone with a fucking brain knows, they have no fucking idea if it will be safe or not.  They just want to SAY that it will be, as another data point in support of additional dumb as fuck Republican coronavirus planning.  In Nueces county for example they would like to test more people... but... you guessed it... not enough testing kits or money to test.  

So you know there is no way in hell there is going to be testing for Teachers, just a proclamation by some fucking GOP school board members that, "All is well!"

I said nearly a month ago that the only thing that might change things is "a bunch of dead good old boys."  Oddly the GOP playbook is to pretend that things are getting better. The one business that Republican's are supporting best in 2020? For morticians it's gonna be a banner Summer and Fall in red states.

I've canceled 2 weekend getaways and a vacation already this year.  I've gone from traveling 100k miles a year on an airplane to being at home 100% of the time.  Haven't been inside a building besides my house since April 5, and haven't put gas in my car since March 8. I fully expect that I will not get on another plane this year.  I fully expect that I'll be sitting at home later this year when I was supposed to be in Portugal just like I'm sitting at home right now even though I was supposed to be in Malaysia for a wedding.  This is an absolute failure of management by our Republican federal government and our Republican state government.  If they think I'm going to just forget about this lost year when I go to the voting booth for the rest of my fucking life, they are severely underestimating my ability to hold a grudge.  FUCK THEM ALL RIGHT IN THE EYE.
I sincerely hope that all of you are good at grudge holding as well, because these people must be held to account.  We can not get back to normal because we have people who would rather play politics and/or profiteer than do the right thing for their constituents.  
Our system of government works only when those elected are acting in good faith and when the populace holds them accountable when they don't.  We've come upon a time when a whole party has quit acting in good faith, so it is time for the populous to do its fucking job and hold them accountable.  Let's make this happen people.
Also, please someone hit the fast forward button to November.  I'm ready for this to be over.

I've canceled 2 weekend getaways and a vacation already this year.  I've gone from traveling 100k miles a year on an airplane to being at home 100% of the time.  Haven't been inside a building besides my house since April 5, and haven't put gas in my car since March 8. I fully expect that I will not get on another plane this year.  I fully expect that I'll be sitting at home later this year when I was supposed to be in Portugal just like I'm sitting at home right now even though I was supposed to be in Malaysia for a wedding.  This is an absolute failure of management by our Republican federal government and our Republican state government.  If they think I'm going to just forget about this lost year when I go to the voting booth for the rest of my fucking life, they are severely underestimating my ability to hold a grudge.  FUCK THEM ALL RIGHT IN THE EYE.
I sincerely hope that all of you are good at grudge holding as well, because these people must be held to account.  We can not get back to normal because we have people who would rather play politics and/or profiteer than do the right thing for their constituents.  
Our system of government works only when those elected are acting in good faith and when the populace holds them accountable when they don't.  We've come upon a time when a whole party has quit acting in good faith, so it is time for the populous to do its fucking job and hold them accountable.  Let's make this happen people.
Also, please someone hit the fast forward button to November.  I'm ready for this to be over.

Pretty easy. Anytime you see someone wearing a MAGA hat “I know about that deal you made with the brass. But I have one question, when you get back to the 7-11, I imagine you won’t take off that MAGA hat, ain’t ya? That’s what I thought. Now that’s something I can’t abide. If I had it my way, you’d be wearing that god damn hat the rest of your pecker suckin life. So I’m gonna leave ya a little somethin ya can’t take off.”

f31cdd189cfba73a450c6058c691fe46.jpg
  • Like 2