CR: COVID-19 --Political Talk

Mrs Whiggins

5 hours ago, tantric superman said:

What do you mean, exactly what you mean by opening up safely:

In terms of levels of infection/hospitalizations/deaths?  Or other indicia of a safe opening?

Has New York City "opened up safely"?  (Or is it "opening up safely"?)

Yes, we are trying to open up safely. We had to close down until we could but we are slowly opening up safely (admittedly relatively considering this is a novel virus). We will close down if we need to. Can Texas or Florida say the same?

Edited by achooloco
  • Like 2
  • Fuck You 1

5 hours ago, tantric superman said:

I'm not going to get into a we will see argument because all of us will see.  I just know that in Dallas, I spoke with doctors before things got bad, and the concerns was overruns and ventilators.   And people were ready for really grim shit in terms of overrun hospitals.

And none of it happened. 

Texas is moronically red, but the hospitals are in the larger towns.  Overruns destroys the Trump narrative (at least the Trumper's who can speak in complete sentences.) Dallas isn't going to wait for Abbott or the apologists to do anything if the shit hits the fan here.

And bc we closed down the first wave was delayed, you opened up too early and now you will use all that extra space unfortunately to deal with the “grim shit”. 

• Fuck You 1

6 hours ago, tantric superman said:

Would you rather have been in Italy?   Mexico?  UK?  Brazil?  Indonesia?

https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/data/mortality

We have a lot of data points, what, 1/10 into the course of the pandemic?

So your argument is, "It's OK, because we're doing better than Malaysia." I don't find that comforting.

2 hours ago, achooloco said:

And bc we closed down the first wave was delayed, you opened up too early and now you will use all that extra space unfortunately to deal with the “grim shit”. 

I can certainly see that happening, but I'm not sure it will, and will be very happy if it doesn't.  Just like I'm happy it didn't happen in late April/early May.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, achooloco said:

Yes, we are trying to open up safely. We had to close down until we could but we are slowly opening up safely (admittedly relatively considering this is a novel virus). We will close down if we need to. Can Texas or Florida say the same?

I don't know, because you haven't defined what the indicia of "opening up safely is". I would say there is great chance Texas or Florida will not have done so, but I'd like to know what data you are ultimately going to rely on when all your projections come true.

Per capita deaths?  Per capita infections?  How will you ultimately compare states that opened up too quickly to those who haven't?  Is comparing states even worthwhile or should we focus on specific locations.  Is a person traveling from Tulsa to Tulare, CA necessarily in a more dangerous situation than someone traveling from Austin to San Francisco?

(None of this goes to the leadership questions, or the communications questions.  I just want to know what you judging on, on the very off chance that some people get smart, get more religious about masks, and the rate starts going down. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 4th&Five said:

You had to post that didn’t you? Might as well be a bat signal. 

🎯   lol.

Spoiler

"A data and safety monitoring board (DSMB) met late Friday and determined that while there was no harm, the study drug was very unlikely to be beneficial to hospitalized patients with COVID-19."   [for the 60th time, late stage initiation = no benefit]

52 minutes ago, HornOnTheBayou said:

A strip club in WIsconsin, huh? How much concrete or rebar do they need to reinforce the pole?

Generally the rule of thumb is a silo footing needs a 100 yards of concrete, so I suppose it’d be similar to that. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Bama Chick said:

I think we need to start coming to terms with the fact that there’s probably not going to be any football this season.

More likely to be NFL than NCAA because of all the different governing bodies involved with college football.  The NFL will need to pull off some weird logistics to have a full season, like no fans at games and playing on an abandoned island or some shit. 

Edited by Hugo Stiglitz
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

More likely to be NFL than NCAA because of all the different governing bodies involved with college football.  The NFL will need to pull off some weird logistics to have a full season, like no fans at games and playing on an abandoned island or some shit. 

Fight Island?

1 hour ago, Message Board User said:

It's quite apparent that some states have just said "fuck it."

I follow a FB page for the rural country in which I lived during high school, and it is astounding to read the threads in that group pertaining to COVID.  Someone will post something about the hospitalization spike and i will be followed by a tidal wave of hoopleheads parroting the same talking points (surely coming from FNC) about how its not a big deal and actually the spike is due to faulty data.  The power to propagandize that our large media institutions hold is something to behold.  

• Fuck You 1

6 hours ago, Bama Chick said:

I think we need to start coming to terms with the fact that there’s probably not going to be any football this season.

It’s been obvious we wouldn’t have football since April but the meatheads in the football forum won’t hear it. The entire team is going to be immune to covid once they get it!!!

12 minutes ago, miguelito said:

A while back I remember seeing a study suggesting that covid cases could be predicted by testing sewage.  Is that still a thing, is anyone checking the shitter?

Like most things, I bet we looked at it and decided it was way harder than just counting dead bodies.  

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Pasken said:

L The entire team is going to be immune to covid once they get it!!!

About that...

We may be royally fucked until (and IF) successful vaccine:

https://www.the-scientist.com/news-opinion/studies-report-rapid-loss-of-covid-19-antibodies-67650

https://www.forbes.com/sites/williamhaseltine/2020/06/19/immunity-to-covid-19-infection-may-fade-quickly/#25b0618772e1

Edited by Wanker Bob