CR: COVID-19 --Political Talk

Mrs Whiggins

1 hour ago, JimmyJames said:

When Biden becomes president the first order of business should be to shut down Fox News and arrest every single person who works for them. From the heads on down to the interns. And if Australia refuses to extradite Rupert we should threaten to nuke them if they don’t. 

I am not joking. Profiting off of killing people is still an accessory to murder. 

That executive order would at least expand the Overton Window. My compromise punishment for Tucker Carlson:

image.jpeg.4e1936750725dd360a2606d1a868df12.jpeg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JimmyJames said:

When Biden becomes president the first order of business should be to shut down Fox News and arrest every single person who works for them. From the heads on down to the interns. And if Australia refuses to extradite Rupert we should threaten to nuke them if they don’t. 

I am not joking. Profiting off of killing people is still an accessory to murder. 

please don't nuke me. i mean for fuck sake its my undying wish for so long now. 

thanks. 

do what you wish to with Fox

38 minutes ago, justhookit said:

Story would have been so much better if you offered a blowjob. 8/10.

She threatened to lick his face. That's worth 2 points right there. 

Hell - it's the opening scene to a novel or a screenplay  . . . Still Falling Down 2020. 

• Like 1

Yeah, up here in the northeast, we're gonna have to cut back lecturing you southern bumpkins a little bit. Definite trend in the wrong direction as summer begins and restaurants are opening. I think it's just people letting their guard down and hope enough of them are paying attention to cut it off quickly. Philadelphia was supposed to go to "green" level this week but sounds like they will wisely postpone.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, justhookit said:

That’s actually not the whole story https://www.newsobserver.com/news/politics-government/article243813917.html

But yeah, this mask debate is asinine.

And since I know most wont read that the mask law is perfectly legal until Aug 1.

It’s normally illegal to wear masks in public in North Carolina because of a 1950s law targeted at the KKK. But earlier this year lawmakers voted to suspend that law until Aug. 1, with public health experts advising people to wear masks to slow the spread of COVID-19.

Read more here: https://www.newsobserver.com/news/politics-government/article243813917.html#storylink=cpy

Yes, I have no idea why politicians wouldn’t jump on that hand grenade right now.

“The suggestion that someone would get arrested for wearing a mask during a pandemic in NC is honestly laughably ridiculous,” tweeted Brent Woodcox, a Senate GOP lawyer, after Senate Democrats raised concerns over the decision.

Read more here: https://www.newsobserver.com/news/politics-government/article243813917.html#storylink=cpy

Maybe this will clear that up.

Later that month they passed the new law exempting people from the mask ban until Aug. 1. The News & Observer reported at the time that Republican Rep. John Bell, the House majority leader, “said that date could later be extended if the measures are still needed in late summer.”

Edited by justhookit

37 minutes ago, Bartles said:

Yeah, up here in the northeast, we're gonna have to cut back lecturing you southern bumpkins a little bit. Definite trend in the wrong direction as summer begins and restaurants are opening. I think it's just people letting their guard down and hope enough of them are paying attention to cut it off quickly. Philadelphia was supposed to go to "green" level this week but sounds like they will wisely postpone.

It’s the bars and all that goes with them. Get back to us once you open those up somewhat normally. We weren’t even all the way back yet to full capacity. Some of course were abusing that, and some were being very responsible and only allowing drinking outside on patios or seated at socially distanced tables inside. Let’s blow that model up. That and we suck at masks.

On 6/26/2020 at 3:36 PM, StassneyHorn said:

McConnell and Cheney having their masks moments is the first blow by the establishment to Trump. Incredible to see, thought it will get minimized. Will be interesting to see what they do if McConnell sees better polling.

Also, why southern states didn’t  push the message for bandanas instead of masks for the big bad manly men still irks me.

“And then one day it will be gone.  Like a miracle.”

Trump has literally gambled with the lives of Americans.  Gambled that covid-19 was overblown.  That it would respect his ban on travel from China.  That a vaccine would be found in record time.  That existing medicines would be an effective treatment.  That summer months and warmer temps would stop the virus.  

He’s lost all of these bets to the tune of 127,000 dead Americans.  Now he’s gambling that Americans are so stupidly shallow that they will ignore all this and gamble themselves and their loved ones on a “return to normal” that is his only chance at a legit reelection.

To anyone who still supports Trump:  Fucking stop it.  Don’t invest your life or those who you care about in the inveterate gambler that keeps coming back with his hand out looking for a little more help so he can bet himself out of the hole.  

Betting on such a man is the biggest sucker’s bet of them all.

• Like 8

"Cheeses of Nazareth"   I don't care which side you're on, that's damn good for how quick she got that out there.  

Look at that photo next time you pontificate as to why other cities/nations hate you.  It's a twisted modernity update to a fucked up baroque still life. 

"Woman Mourns Bounty"  

18 minutes ago, mchookem said:

alright...a friend shared this article...

https://fee.org/articles/npr-mounting-evidence-suggests-covid-not-as-deadly-as-thought-did-the-experts-fail-again/

is it a ray of hope or grasping at straws? i want to believe lol

About the author:

Bylines: The Washington Times, MSN.com, The Washington Examiner, The Daily Caller, The Federalist, the Epoch Times.

Mark me as skeptical ...

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Gap03 said:

About the author:

Mark me as skeptical ...

Skepticism would be charitable.

Even if the mortality rate is in fact "only" 0.5% to 1%, that's 5X - 10X that for the flu, and this virus appears to be much more infectious.  It doesn't take a PhD in epidemiology to look at 125,000 deaths and climbing and conclude that this is an extraordinarily serious public health threat.

But sure, let's equate our response to a new and potentially catastrophic viral pandemic to abject lies from the very top of our leadership regarding weapons of mass destruction that led to a similar loss of life and economic damage.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, mchookem said:

https://fee.org/articles/npr-mounting-evidence-suggests-covid-not-as-deadly-as-thought-did-the-experts-fail-again/

Those aren’t even straws. They are toothpicks.

its sad that one can write an article of that length and not even realize that your own “facts” don’t support the conclusion you are trying to make.

• Like 1

yeah, i skimmed the WMD part, seemed extraneous. 

i am thinking this thing is hitting younger populations now, it would stand to reason that death numbers are declining. but hospitalizations are increasing right... so they aren't dying, what sort of longterm damage is happening??

i'm grasping for a ray of hope, dammit 😕

2 minutes ago, mchookem said:

i'm grasping for a ray of hope, dammit 😕

We all are.  And, in point of fact, it IS in some sense good news if we learn that it is more infectious than previously thought, at least in the sense that it implies the mortality rate is lower.

Ultimately, we do have a sense of the # of Americans who are going to die of this thing prior to widespread implementation of an effective vaccine.  I'll call my shot:  250,000 dead Americans by early spring.  This assumes that, on average, 600 Americans die each day.  Hopefully that's a way pessimistic number, but it appears to be where we are right now, and I'm not seeing much indication of seasonality.  Furthermore, the expectation that things will get worse in the fall is not unfounded.  If we shut things down again, or at least get more people to wear their fucking masks, then that should help tremendously.

Extrapolation is horribly bad science, so it's a guess, not a well-founded position, but at this point, I'm not very optimistic.

1 hour ago, jimmyjazz said:

Even if the mortality rate is in fact "only" 0.5% to 1%, that's 5X - 10X that for the flu, and this virus appears to be much more infectious. 

In the past ten years, the highest single-year US death toll from the flu was 61,000.

To date, 125,000 Americans have died from COVID-19. This thing has already proven twice as deadly as the worst flu strain in a decade, and there’s still plenty of room to grow (less than 10% of the population has been infected to this point). 

Edited by BrickHorn
  • Like 3

7 minutes ago, BrickHorn said:

In the past ten years, the highest single-year US death toll from the flu was 61,000.

To date, 125,000 Americans have died from COVID-19. This thing has already proven twice as deadly as the worst flu strain in a decade, and there’s still plenty of room to grow (less than 10% of the population has been infected to this point). 

not to mention the flu doesn't leave you with permanent lung damage. This thing does. The flu doesn't really kill or seriously injure normal healthy people. This thing does. 

The fact anyone tries to make that argument is pure stupidity. there's so much rationalization to avoid cognitive dissonance in this situation it's a level of delusion I've never seen before on this scale

• Like 3

5 hours ago, HenryJames said:

It's unfair and inaccurate to imply that all our leaders utterly failed in this covid era. There are people doing good work at state and local levels as well as some feds. The failures cascade from a single nominal leader, and the series of failures we all made in enabling him with power and then refusing to hold him accountable to any reasonable standard. I've actually been fairly impressed by leaders here in Oregon considering that they're simultaneously up against a pandemic, a depression, a law enforcement meltdown, and a traitorous addled narcissist president fanning the flames of disinformation and discontent.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, LABEVO said:

It’s too early to tell. Look, I believe in the cause behind the protests, but I remember Abbott and DeSantis doing victory laps a few weeks ago, too. Let’s give it another 4-6 weeks before making definitive statements about the impact of protests 

• Like 3

“And then one day it will be gone.  Like a miracle.”
Trump has literally gambled with the lives of Americans.  Gambled that covid-19 was overblown.  That it would respect his ban on travel from China.  That a vaccine would be found in record time.  That existing medicines would be an effective treatment.  That summer months and warmer temps would stop the virus.  
He’s lost all of these bets to the tune of 127,000 dead Americans.  Now he’s gambling that Americans are so stupidly shallow that they will ignore all this and gamble themselves and their loved ones on a “return to normal” that is his only chance at a legit reelection.
To anyone who still supports Trump:  Fucking stop it.  Don’t invest your life or those who you care about in the inveterate gambler that keeps coming back with his hand out looking for a little more help so he can bet himself out of the hole.  
Betting on such a man is the biggest sucker’s bet of them all.

One problem. To stop supporting him would be to admit they are wrong. And Trump supporters are such fragile, pathetic creatures, that they can never, ever do that. They will fly the plane right into the mountain rather than admit that they are off course. And they are going to take us with them.

Yeah...no...jimmy is spot on below:
Skepticism would be charitable.
Even if the mortality rate is in fact "only" 0.5% to 1%, that's 5X - 10X that for the flu, and this virus appears to be much more infectious.  It doesn't take a PhD in epidemiology to look at 125,000 deaths and climbing and conclude that this is an extraordinarily serious public health threat.
But sure, let's equate our response to a new and potentially catastrophic viral pandemic to abject lies from the very top of our leadership regarding weapons of mass destruction that led to a similar loss of life and economic damage.

Even the IFR he points to is really, really bad. And why we only consider the negative outcome of “death,” and exclude the known negative outcomes of “your lungs and other organs are ducked for life,” which looks to be at least as common as the deaths...I don’t fucking get. It’s a bad disease, it fucks up a lot of people.

Oh, and my number by year end is 300k dead. And I’m betting the slight over.
  • Like 1