CR: COVID-19 --Political Talk

Mrs Whiggins

Well don't keep us in suspense - are you too purty to cover your face?
And what's Jeff Sessions like in real life?

I’m alright.

But y’all damn well know old horny creepy men will say that kind of shit to wildebeests and supermodels.

That’s kind of their MO.
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, TexEx15 said:

Shot

Chaser

Speaking of that area, I was doing some running around yesterday in Dallas and Collin counties, everywhere in Dallas you cannot enter without a mask, as it should be.

I popped into a QuickTrip in Collin county and I was the only one who had a mask on.  This included two police officers who happened to be there and all 3 employees working.  Nobody had one on.

On 6/27/2020 at 5:11 PM, jimmyjazz said:

Let's try a little logic here:  breezy day, 10+ thousand protesters in close proximity, admittedly with plenty wearing masks, but whatever virus exists in the air is certainly concentrated, and doesn't even spread locally.

Pan to:  cities 100s of miles from Mexico are probably getting doused with high viral load from dirty Messicans.

Mexican virus doing the work American virus thinks it's too good to do.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Jesus was an architect, previous to his career as a prophet
Jesus was a Capricorn
He ate organic food
He believed in love and peace
And never wore no shoes
Long hair, beard and sandals
And a funky bunch of friends
Reckon may just nail Him up
If He come down again

I live in Hays Co.  From what I can tell on Next Door, half the neighborhood is MAGA, and half is sane--whether that be reasonable Republicans or Democrats.

Our neighbors across the street have about the nicest girls on the planet, aged 10 and 7, and they are friends with my boys--8, 6, and 3.  My boys and I were riding our bikes yesterday evening when the Dad neighbor was pulling out.  My wife started some small talk about a new quarantine, and he went off, talking about how if this wasn't an election year, we would never even heard of the coronavirus, and how everyone has to stay home except the BLM protesters who are looting and lighting everything on fire.  She just stared at him for a while, and they he drove away.  Guess that's one less couple I feel obligated to invite over.  Sheesh.

• Like 6

34 minutes ago, Born to Run said:

Jesus was a Capricorn
He ate organic food
He believed in love and peace
And never wore no shoes
Long hair, beard and sandals
And a funky bunch of friends
Reckon may just nail Him up
If He come down again

jesus-coronavirus-final.jpg

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Gap03 said:

About the author:

Mark me as skeptical ...

when the most reputable author is the clickbait website that opens when you (for some reason) are still using an MS web browser and haven't changed your page to something more useful like besthugecocks.com, you've got a problem

11 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

We all are.  And, in point of fact, it IS in some sense good news if we learn that it is more infectious than previously thought, at least in the sense that it implies the mortality rate is lower.

Ultimately, we do have a sense of the # of Americans who are going to die of this thing prior to widespread implementation of an effective vaccine.  I'll call my shot:  250,000 dead Americans by early spring.  This assumes that, on average, 600 Americans die each day.  Hopefully that's a way pessimistic number, but it appears to be where we are right now, and I'm not seeing much indication of seasonality.  Furthermore, the expectation that things will get worse in the fall is not unfounded.  If we shut things down again, or at least get more people to wear their fucking masks, then that should help tremendously.

Extrapolation is horribly bad science, so it's a guess, not a well-founded position, but at this point, I'm not very optimistic.

The question of whether antibodies provide immunity and for how long is going to be huge. I thought we'd have an answer on that by now. 

35 minutes ago, Hookah Horns said:

The question of whether antibodies provide immunity and for how long is going to be huge. I thought we'd have an answer on that by now. 

I mean, we inherently have to wait on that answer. It also doesn't help that antibody tests are about as reliable as Trump tweets.

Fucking daunting insight from Fauci about our prospects to wrestle this thing down quickly:

The fact that an eventual vaccine for the novel coronavirus may be only 70 to 75 percent effective ad the likelihood that many people will not receive it make the United States unlikely to achieve herd immunity, Anthony S. Fauci, the nation’s top infectious-disease expert, told CNN.

“The best we’ve ever done is measles, which is 97 to 98 percent effective,” Fauci, director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, said in the interview that aired Sunday as part of the Aspen Ideas Festival. “That would be wonderful if we get there. I don’t think we will. I would settle for [a] 70, 75 percent effective vaccine.”

About 70 percent of U.S. residents say they plan to get a coronavirus vaccine if it’s free and available, according to a Washington Post-ABC News poll released this month. About two-thirds said the same in a CNN poll.

CNN asked Fauci whether a vaccine that is 70 to 75 percent effective and given to two-thirds of the country would create herd immunity, in which a large enough portion of a population is immune to the virus so that it is unable to spread.

“No — unlikely,” he responded.

Fauci also told CNN that contact tracing is going poorly in the United States, in part because many communities are trying to do it by phone. About half of people who answer such calls don’t want to talk to anyone in a position of authority, he said. He recommended that contact tracers do their work in person.

Asymptomatic transmission also makes contact tracing difficult, Fauci added. He said 20 to 40 percent of people carrying the virus may not have symptoms.

“So the standard classic paradigm of identification, isolation, contact tracing doesn’t work, no matter how good you are, because you don’t know who you’re tracing,” Fauci told CNN.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2020/06/28/coronavirus-live-updates-us/ 

Between (1) the likely limited effectiveness of any vaccine developed in the near-term, (2) the anti-vax nutjobs, (3) the Q-Anon types confounding contact tracing efforts, and (4) the "but muh freedom" anti-maskers, it feels like we're going to be dealing with this shit for a long time.  All while the rest of the developed world will be going on about their business wearing masks and having everyone vaccinated.  Go 'Murica.

Edited by Gap03
  • Like 5

3 hours ago, Horn Under a Bad Sign said:

And in a year where there have been a million things to be infuriated about, this somehow has rocketed to the top of my list.  Every fucking time I'm thinking "this is as bad as it gets" but no.  I fully expect that my republican family in Houston are going to read this and 5 minutes later will still be full on "Go team R." 

Had a long video call on Sunday with our friends in Norway.  A fair amount of it was lamenting how they could travel some, whereas Americans are effectively banned from Europe.  We talked about how bad things are over here, etc., and ended with a summary of "the biggest problem is that we simply don't have a national government."  All four of them at the same time said "we noticed."  It's just fucking embarrassing.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, NameAlreadyInUse said:

And in a year where there have been a million things to be infuriated about, this somehow has rocketed to the top of my list.  Every fucking time I'm thinking "this is as bad as it gets" but no.  I fully expect that my republican family in Houston are going to read this and 5 minutes later will still be full on "Go team R." 

Or, they were changing how they format the data. 

Following a Houston Chronicle story highlighting the missing charts, the TMC at 6 p.m. Sunday posted updated data featuring most of the original information with a few cosmetic changes, as well as some additional slides attempting to better explain the hospitals’ capacity.

Houston Methodist CEO Dr. Marc Boom stressed that the new data was not reinvented — all the figures and projection models are the same — but was simply reformatted in an effort to make clear that reaching 100 percent of capacity in an ICU is a moving target. TMC hospitals have a combined 373 beds, for instance, that can become ICU beds with a “challenging” but “doable” amount of effort, Boom said, with the reassignment of trained staff and equipment.

Doing so would take the TMC facilities’ combined 93 percent ICU capacity as of the Sunday report down to 72 percent, the chart shows.

Boom said he and his peers knew as the pandemic wore on that the measurement of ICU capacity the slides displayed was imperfect and did not convey the way they are run, but did not revisit the charts as quickly as they should have.

“This is just trying to be clear. We want to be as helpful as we possibly can,” Boom said. “Obviously, this got delayed a couple days because it’s complicated — you put 11 or so institutions together all trying to figure out something this complicated and trying to figure out how we express it a little bit more accurately — it took a while, a little longer than any of us would have liked, but simply because it’s complicated. I like what we came up with.”

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Gap03 said:

Fucking daunting insight from Fauci about our prospects to wrestle this thing down quickly:

Between (1) the likely limited effectiveness of any vaccine developed in the near-term, (2) the anti-vax nutjobs, (3) the Q-Anon types confounding contact tracing efforts, and (4) the "but muh freedom" anti-maskers, it feels like we're going to be dealing with this shit for a long time.  All while the rest of the developed world will be going on about their business wearing masks and having everyone vaccinated.  Go 'Murica.

If such a vaccine becomes available and the anti-vaxers thwart our bid at herd immunity, I'm seriously getting the fuck out of this nutjob playground of a country. 

• Like 1

Thanks for the follow up on this.  Good to know the information is still going to be available.  I stand by my distaste for Abbott and how the GOP in general is behaving through this whole thing, but glad I don't have to also be pissed that they are pressuring hospital systems to not publish their metrics.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, NameAlreadyInUse said:

Thanks for the follow up on this.  Good to know the information is still going to be available.  I stand by my distaste for Abbott and how the GOP in general is behaving through this whole thing, but glad I don't have to also be pissed that they are pressuring hospital systems to not publish their metrics.

Agreed on all of that. 

42 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Had a long video call on Sunday with our friends in Norway.  A fair amount of it was lamenting how they could travel some, whereas Americans are effectively banned from Europe.  We talked about how bad things are over here, etc., and ended with a summary of "the biggest problem is that we simply don't have a national government."  All four of them at the same time said "we noticed."  It's just fucking embarrassing.

The crazier thing is that we pay quite a lot in federal taxes, the federal government runs massive deficits, and we get fuck all to show for it.  State and local governments which only get to tax the scraps have to handle everything. 

The least the GOP could have done was actually lower or eliminate federal taxes so the states can actually handle things since the GOP have been running on that fake platform for decades now.  If you claim to want us to be almost independent states, then make that shit happen.  Here I am having to cut a check to the feds at a time when my city and state need it, when my city and state have been cutting the feds a blank check for years already, and when the federal gov't has told my city and state we are on our own.  Well, if we are on our own, then why the fuck are you still collecting taxes from us?  People once dumped tea into the harbor for less.

I did see where Trump promised to have the US Treasury Trump personal slush fund bail out Texas.  I also recall he said the exact opposite to New York.  Time to break this thing up already.  Even if Biden wins.  Its over.

Edited by FondrenRoad
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, Chuckie Finster said:

This tweet actually says "HOLY SHIT, WE ARE LOSING THE PUBLIC PERCEPTION BATTLE" in giant, blinking neon letters.

Either that or they're finally getting concerned about a big chunk of their death cult dying from covid before election day. 

1 hour ago, FondrenRoad said:

The crazier thing is that we pay quite a lot in federal taxes, the federal government runs massive deficits, and we get fuck all to show for it. 

We are in the export business. You know what the product is. Sorry, not sorry.

discretionary-desk.svg

• Like 3

https://www.oregonlive.com/coronavirus/2020/06/oregonians-will-be-required-to-wear-masks-statewide-not-just-in-select-counties-starting-wednesday-governor-says.html

Oregonians will be required to wear masks statewide -- not just in select counties -- starting Wednesday

Gov. Kate Brown announced Monday that she will require Oregonians to wear face masks everywhere in the state -- not just a handful of select counties -- to slow the spread of the novel coronavirus.

Brown said her new order takes effect Wednesday, and requires people in Oregon to don a mask whenever they’re in a public indoor space, such as grocery stores, gyms and shopping malls.

The governor hinted that the new statewide requirement could be a last-ditch measure against surging numbers of new cases and hospitalized patients over the past month in Oregon. Repeatedly in recent weeks, Oregon has broken records for the number of new cases.

“I do not want to have to close down businesses again like other states are now doing,” she said in a news release. “If you want your local shops and restaurants to stay open, then wear a face covering when out in public.”

Brown didn’t make clear Monday if she’d continue to exempt children younger than 12 and people with medical conditions who would be endangered by wearing a mask, as she had in her earlier order.

Even with her announcement Monday, Brown has not gone as far as the governors of some other states, including Washington and California. Both of those governors require masks to be worn in indoor public spaces as well as outdoors when people can’t stay at least 6 feet from others. Washington’s Jay Inslee says children over age 5 must wear face coverings, while California’s Gavin Newsom says children over age 2 must do so.

According to the all-volunteer organization Masks4All, more than 100 countries across the globe require masks. In the U.S., at least 18 states do for every county within their borders.

Cases are rising in 32 states Monday, according to The New York Times. In some states, including Oregon, that’s not just because of increase testing: More people are becoming infected, too.

For months, Brown had refrained from ordering Oregonians to cover their mouths and noses. When the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention shifted course April 3 and said cloth face coverings are helpful in preventing the spread of COVID-19 and should be worn, Brown recommended that the state’s residents wear face coverings. But she repeatedly declined to require them -- saying she had confidence that Oregonians would do the right thing.

Then last Wednesday, Brown began requiring masks in seven of the state’s 36 counties. Those counties were Multnomah, Clackamas, Washington, Marion, Polk, Hood River and Lincoln. They make up about 55 percent of the state’s population.

Brown later said she was adding an eighth, Clatsop County. At the time, Brown and officials with the Oregon Health Authority didn’t say specifically why they weren’t mandating masks across the entire state.

But Monday’s announcement means that two days from now, no corner of the state will be exempt.

“From the beginning of the reopening process, I have said that reopening comes with the risk of seeing an increase in COVID-19 cases beyond our health systems’ capacity to test, trace, and isolate them,” Brown said. “Over the last month, we have seen the disease spread at an alarming rate in both urban and rural counties. The upcoming July 4th holiday weekend is a critical point for Oregon in this pandemic, and we can all make a difference.”

Brown said she must take further action, based on modeling from the Oregon Health Authority released last Friday that warns residents should prepare to see “exponential growth” in coronavirus infections in the next three weeks -- with roughly 900 to 5,000 new daily infections possible under moderate to pessimistic models.

The governor said that could lead our hospitals to be “overwhelmed” by COVID-19 within weeks.

”The choices every single one of us make in the coming days matter,” Brown said.

She said residents must do their part to stop another spike in cases from the long holiday weekend ahead.

“Please keep your Fourth of July celebrations small and local,” the governor said. “We saw a lot of new COVD-19 cases following the Memorial Day holiday. Another spike in cases after the upcoming holiday weekend could put Oregon in a dangerous position.”

The decision to require people across Oregon to wear masks drew immediate praise from the Oregon Association of Hospitals and Health Systems.

“With cases on the rise rapidly across the state, it is now more important than ever to take this step to protect our loved ones, our neighbors, and our communities,” said Becky Hultberg, the organization’s president and CEO. “Further, if we are to coexist alongside the disease, wide adoption of public face coverings is an essential factor in keeping our businesses and public spaces open.”

Edited by MC Fresh Breath
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, MC Fresh Breath said:

Brown didn’t make clear Monday if she’d continue to exempt children younger than 12 and people with medical conditions who would be endangered by wearing a mask, as she had in her earlier order.

I don't get this.  Mask your little petri dishes. I understand if there are special needs issues, and individual circumstances, but a 5 year old is perfectly capable of wearing a mask. 

• Like 2

Not sure I get it, either, but I sure like this quote:

“I do not want to have to close down businesses again like other states are now doing,” she said in a news release. “If you want your local shops and restaurants to stay open, then wear a face covering when out in public.”

Concise, and to the point.  And I really hope it improves the mask wearing around here.

• Like 3