CR: COVID-19 --Political Talk

Mrs Whiggins

21 minutes ago, Bama Chick said:

John Oliver did a great feature on guardianship a while back and there was focus on Texas and how shitty the laws are there and how much harm can to people trapped in that system.

Have not seen that before. Thanks for that.  I have shared that with a few people who will appreciate the content.  

All I can say in this forum is that the system appears ripe for abuse, and there are some lawyers making coin milking it. 

37 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

Secondary spread is a huge concern, I agree.  It's spreading not only among the 20-30s but also among the younger kids as well.  Those kids give granny a hug and it;s showtime.  We are trying to lock down and control the interactions with the grandparents as much as we can but man its not an easy calculus.  Some of them only have so many years left on this earth. I can't tell them that they can't see their grandchildren for a year with a clear conscience. If I was in their situation, I'd be willing to take certain very measured risks. 

My mom finally cracked and demanded to see the kids. We went over Sunday, masked up and sat on the back porch for a couple hours. Did her some good, I think.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Bama Chick said:

Positives Under Investigation

Basically, a pulmonologist has clinically diagnosed the patient through chest X-ray, physical exam, and observation of the patient’s symptoms but they are still waiting on the test results from the lab.

Our system doesn’t classify a patient as a CV-19 patient until there’s a positive test result.

For example, there was a shortage of swabs a couple of weeks ago and it caused a backlog in testing and some results were taking a week or more for results to come in. We literally had two patients with a textbook CV-19 lung scan and they were on vents but the hospital would not report them as Covid patients until the tests came back.

Thank you.  I appreciate the .edu and I hope you continue to share/vent here.

37 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Trump death panels

Hugo, jeesh. Man, I don't want it to seem like I just like to pick fights with you. I actually read your post and intended to reply before I saw who posted it. But, there is nothing wrong with this at all, and it's nothing like "Obama's death panels" (which of course weren't actually a thing)

In a situation where there is one bed and two patients being admitted, there is always going to be a decision made. I actually appreciate them taking a scientific approach to it. Their scorecard uses likelihood of survival as the primary driver with post-Covid life expectancy basically as a tiebreaker. What do you take issue with there?

Edited by BradInATX
  • Like 3

so we weren't locked down when restaurants were all closed and bars were all closed and then they opened up and now they're closed again?

let's not forget the relatively summery temperatures we've had here in Texas during this entire thing compared to New York

3 hours ago, Skyline said:

Seems as if most of the spread is in younger folks. If their number keeps rising then it's only a matter of time before Covid makes its way to infecting older populations at a higher rate. Once that happens, fatalities will skyrocket. 

That’s the lesson of Iran-

spread among YAs->fatality rate falls -> cases spike -> cases diffuse to older population -> fatality rate spikes

6 hours ago, Anastasis said:

Death toll bad. Trend in fatalities so far, at least in Texas, been ok.  We haven't see a spike correlated to the increased number of cases and hospitalizations.  We'll see if that holds...we are right on the leading edge of a two week window marking the spike in cases and hospitalizations. If the fatalities hold on trend, over the next couple weeks, that a really good thing given the trend in cases. 

In the past 2 weeks Texas 7 day average went from 2k to 6k new cases, while the deaths went from 24 to 32 (7 day avg).  I’m looking at 6/29 as all data wasn’t in when I started, still not even sure it is all in. 

From the time NY hit 2k cases per day (again 7 day avg) on 3/22 to 2 weeks later they were hitting 9k cases a day, and 7day deaths went from 28 to 693.

What that all means, fuck if I know. They were doing 13k tests a day 3/22 and were doing about 25k a day by 4/6.  During our 2 week period, we started at 25k tests a day have made it up over 35k tests.  So they weren’t seeing more cases because they were doing more testing. 

Im hoping it boils down to improved treatment /methods and a younger avg age group getting the illness. And I’m hoping the trend continues. 

Edited by UT_OB1
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, UT_OB1 said:

In the past 2 weeks Texas 7 day average went from 2k to 6k new cases, while the deaths went from 24 to 32 (7 day avg).  I’m looking at 6/29 as all data wasn’t in when I started, still not even sure it is all in. 

From the time NY hit 2k cases per day (again 7 day avg) on 3/22 to 2 weeks later they were hitting 9k cases a day, and 7day deaths went from 28 to 693.

What that all means, fuck if I know. They were doing 13k tests a day 3/22 and were doing about 25k a day by 4/6.  During our 2 week period, we started at 25k tests a day have made it up over 35k tests.  So they weren’t seeing more cases because they were doing more testing. 

Im hoping it boils down to improved treatment /methods and a younger avg age group getting the illness. And I’m hoping the trend continues. 

To UT_OB's last sentence, has anyone come across any data for fatality rates by age group, trended over time? I'm interested in this as well. I'd love to see CFR going down across all age groups and not just more young people getting sick. 

1 hour ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

That’s the lesson of Iran-

spread among YAs->fatality rate falls -> cases spike -> cases diffuse to older population -> fatality rate spikes

One thing I forgot to mention, there may not be fatalities due to covid in young people right now, but who's to say it won't result in complications for them later on in life? We may not fully know this piece of the puzzle for years to come. 

Basically I'm saying wear masks. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Skyline said:

One thing I forgot to mention, there may not be fatalities due to covid in young people right now, but who's to say it won't result in complications for them later on in life? We may not fully know this piece of the puzzle for years to come. 

Basically I'm saying wear masks. 

I’ve been out paddle boarding the last few nights, thinking to myself: “gee, breathing is nice. So is not having ground glass opacities or needing dialysis. Also being able to smell stuff is pretty clutch.” 
so, I think I can do a mask for a while.

• Like 8

Pandemics change how the world works  - quickly. I don't know how anyone is going to convince people take this with enough seriousness. Some people think herd immunity is the only way this virus burns out. I am not sure they comprehend the ramifications of going full Sweden in the United States. 

One of the great things about getting outside is finding places where you can exist without a mask. There is beauty out there. And it is a good time to experience it. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Bookman said:

Doesn't herd immunity by definition have to work?

Assuming that immunity lasts more than a few months after contracting COVID. We've seen a few cases where people no longer had the antibodies after several months post-recovery. Not to say there's no herd immunity, but the concept isn't exactly proven science wrt/ COVID

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, lemonlime said:

Also if we somehow even get to herd immunity we may have an entire nation with permanent lung damage. Brilliant plan there

I saw a post on Facebook about how the shutdown was stopping us from developing a "natural herd immunity."

These are people who vote.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, washparkhorn said:

Does Dan know how silly he sounds?  Laura Ingraham was pushing all sorts of lunacy early on. I see it continues.

Serious question... Is there really no one in the Texas Republican party whose job is to rein this stupid motherfucker in and keep him from embarrassing the state on an international level?

5 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

Serious question... Is there really no one in the Texas Republican party whose job is to rein this stupid motherfucker in and keep him from embarrassing the state on an international level?

Serious answer: of course not, it’s the Texas Republican party.

• Like 3

The lack of national leadership is what allows for idiots like DeSantis and Abbott to fail at protecting their governed. We have the capability to blunt the impact of this virus, but only some states are choosing that path. Without action, all we have left are thoughts and prayers. Let’s pray we won’t see the freezer trucks holding bodies come to Houston bc the morgues are full. Lord knows there aren’t that many I’ve rinks down south, and they’re probably open for skaters anyway 

12 minutes ago, Pig Bellmont said:

The lack of national leadership is what allows for idiots like DeSantis and Abbott to fail at protecting their governed. We have the capability to blunt the impact of this virus, but only some states are choosing that path. Without action, all we have left are thoughts and prayers. Let’s pray we won’t see the freezer trucks holding bodies come to Houston bc the morgues are full. Lord knows there aren’t that many I’ve rinks down south, and they’re probably open for skaters anyway 

If only the states could get together and create some sort of national center that controls and prevents diseases. It could be staffed with a bunch of public health experts who'd advise everyone and organize the local responses. 

Probably too crazy of an idea. 

Edited by Hookah Horns
  • Like 7

1 minute ago, 4th&Five said:

Relevant details from the article:

Early results of the study: The researchers found that the vaccine generated antibodies against the coronavirus in all of the participants by 28 days after receiving a single injection of 100 micrograms or seven days after receiving a second dose of either 10 or 30 micrograms.

"These preliminary data are encouraging, showing that BNT162b1 which exploits RBD SARS-CoV-2 as a target antigen is able to produce neutralizing antibody responses in humans at or above the levels observed in convalescent sera – and that it does so at relatively low dose levels. We look forward to providing further data updates on BNT162b1," Dr. Ugur Sahin, CEO and co-founder of BioNTech, said in a company press release on Wednesday.

Pfizer and BioNTech announced on Wednesday that this preliminary data will help them determine a dose level for the vaccine then select which of their multiple vaccine candidates to progress to a larger-scale global Phase 2/3 study, possibly beginning as early as this month.

Here's hoping that the vaccine is indeed successful, that it has an rapidly scalable production process, and that COVID doesn't mutate to lessen the effectiveness of it in the interim

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Captainant said:

Relevant details from the article:

Here's hoping that the vaccine is indeed successful, that it has an rapidly scalable production process, and that COVID doesn't mutate to lessen the effectiveness of it in the interim

The antigen response is good news, but man this one has a long long way to go.  Oxford/Astra Zeneca will probably be first to market.  Actually, I think that the Chinese will be the first to have a vax, but it won't get approved in the US. 

1 minute ago, Anastasis said:

The antigen response is good news, but man this one has a long long way to go.  Oxford/Astra Zeneca will probably be first to market.  Actually, I think that the Chinese will be the first to have a vax, but it won't get approved in the US. 

Hoo wee, just imagine a timeline in which there's a viable vaccine out there that's withheld from the American people due to the complete abrogation of all of our diplomatic ties and international relationships. Sounds pretty 2020 if you ask me