CR: COVID-19 --Political Talk

Mrs Whiggins

4 hours ago, Gil Bang said:

From another article 

“Her mother, a nurse, and her father, a physician's assistant, gave the girl azithromycin — an antibiotic being studied as a potential COVID-19 treatment — as a protective measure, the report states.”

“On June 19, the girl's mother noticed that she looked "gray" while sleeping. The girl was then given an unspecified dose of hydroxychloroquine”

How did they get those drugs in the first place if they weren’t prescribed?  These people should not be employed in the medical industry.  And they damn sure should be investigated and prosecuted.

Edited by SameSame
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, SameSame said:

From another article 

“Her mother, a nurse, and her father, a physician's assistant, gave the girl azithromycin — an antibiotic being studied as a potential COVID-19 treatment — as a protective measure, the report states.”

“On June 19, the girl's mother noticed that she looked "gray" while sleeping. The girl was then given an unspecified dose of hydroxychloroquine”

How did they get those drugs in the first place if they weren’t prescribed?  These people should not be employed in the medical industry.  And they damn sure should be investigated and prosecuted.

I thought the same thing, but if he's a PA, then he could have written the prescription, I would think.   I sure as fuck hope both of these idiots are stripped of their licenses/certifications, at the very least.

5 minutes ago, Bama Chick said:

Well, this is depressing.

I look forward to you science nerds reading the data and hopefully explaining to us that it’s not as bad as the headline.

Some studies show antibodies can’t be detected at times too long after an infection.  Most think this does not necessarily mean you’re susceptible to getting the infection again.  That’s a stab at an explanation but there’s still a shitload we don’t know.  And no, I don’t think a huge percentage of the population is having that issue.  
But I have no idea why that study would surprise anyone?  Most guesses I’ve seen are 10-15% even for the hardest hit areas like NYC.  

I look forward to you science nerds reading the data and hopefully explaining to us that it’s not as bad as the headline.
It could be higher given accuracy issues with antibody tests and just the sheer amount we don't know about immunity. That's the best silver lining I can come up with.

9 minutes ago, Bama Chick said:

Isn't this just confirming what we already suspected? Not enough of the population has been infected to create herd immunity and the world will be turbo fucked if we actually have enough of the population infected to possibly create herd immunity.

6 minutes ago, Bama Chick said:

Looks like pure clickbait. To get to herd immunity for this virus about half a population must be exposed to covid 19 and seroconvert. The CNN headline to me  implies enough people have been exposed but aren’t developing antibodies, but that isn’t what’s the study’s authors are asserting. 

From the article (note I did not read the study in Lancet):

the key finding from these representative cohorts is that most of the population appears to have remained unexposed" to Covid-19

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, SameSame said:

From another article 

Those church officials should also be locked up imo.  They not only knowingly were exposing kids to a potentially deadly virus, they were negligently not screening them for previous health concerns.  That is criminal.

• Like 2

Isn't this just confirming what we already suspected? Not enough of the population has been infected to create herd immunity and the world will be turbo fucked if we actually have enough of the population infected to possibly create herd immunity.

That’s been my assumption but to see herd immunity described as “unachievable” seems as if this study is saying that our previous assumptions about herd immunity are wrong because only 5% of those infected actually have the antibodies required to achieve herd immunity.

7 minutes ago, Bama Chick said:

only 5% of the whole population those infected actually have the antibodies required to achieve herd immunity.

FIFY. Mostly this is (probably) because most people have not been exposed, at least enough to make detectable antibodies.

• Like 3

Looks like pure clickbait. To get to herd immunity for this virus about half a population must be exposed to covid 19 and seroconvert. The CNN headline to me  implies enough people have been exposed but aren’t developing antibodies, but that isn’t what’s the study’s authors are asserting. 

From the article (note I did not read the study in Lancet):
the key finding from these representative cohorts is that most of the population appears to have remained unexposed" to Covid-19

That was my initial takeaway of the headline and after reading more I’m much more reassured.

At first it reads as if the study population was comprised of people known to have been infected and only 5% of those people had antibodies.

Which if THAT were true then, yeah, very very bad.

If the 60-75% number for “natural” herd immunity is accurate and after five months Spain is the only at 5%, we could be looking at 5-6 YEARS to achieve the goal number? Or could we expect the percentage of people with antibodies to rise exponentially like infections are?

It really doesn’t do my psyche any good to noodle too much about what this reality could actually look like.

11 minutes ago, Bama Chick said:

If the 60-75% number for “natural” herd immunity is accurate and after five months Spain is the only at 5%, we could be looking at 5-6 YEARS to achieve the goal number? Or could we expect the percentage of people with antibodies to rise exponentially like infections are?

We would expect some amount of exponential growth.  Let's say we went from 0% to 5% in the last 5 months (February-June).  If that growth rate held, it would take 48 months total (43 additional months) to get to 60% infection.  (Key takeaway:  "if that growth rate held".)

Oh, I agree with natural herd immunity being the worst case scenario but I’m starting to get in my head a bit and thinking very pessimistically.

I see 80% of the public where I live not wearing masks, not socially distancing, going to bars etc., so I’m resigned to us not being capable of doing the right thing.

Governor MeeMaw certainly won’t order another stay at home order, so that’s out.

And, in my heart, I don’t think we’re going to have a workable, efficacious, safe vaccine ready for mass inoculations within under 3 years.

And if these assholes won’t even wear a mask and have made that political, who is to say they won’t pull the same shit with the vaccine? ESPECIALLY under a Democratic administration.

So then my mind is in The Bad Place and I start to wonder if our ultimate fate is going to be the worst case scenario - that we become okay with letting it just burn through our population and just accepting all the thousands of deaths.

And then I start to worry about how long an individual’s immunity might actually last......

And that’s when I take the Valium.

Like I said, I’m feeling pretty resigned. I don’t know if my daily work environment is making me worry more. I’ve stopped watching the news nonstop because it’s not good for me. I read the daily highlights to stay informed and follow our state and county numbers daily.

IDK, I’m rambling and venting at this point. Just feeling defeated.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

From a purely prospective viewpoint, I could see how student visas could and even should be denied if they're just enrolling in an online program that could be taken from anywhere, theoretically.

How do you figure that?  Most graduate programs in the country are filled with international students who work as research assistants for faculty.  

1 hour ago, BrickHorn said:

Natural herd immunity is not a solution. As sawbonz says above, it is the worst case scenario. It means that 3 out of 4 Americans got infected. It means that around 75% of Americans who would die if they became infected with COVID did, in fact, become infected with COVID and die. It means we let the plague run its course and burn through the population until it ran out of uninfected human fuel. If we get to natural herd immunity, we’ve catastrophically failed. 

This guy should be president.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, MC Fresh Breath said:

I don't normally say things like this, but that Mother should be charged with murder.  I don't know what kind of legal charge, but goddamn that's infuriating.  After all the bullshit in the story she pulled, she even declined intubation until it was too late.  Damn near seems intentional to me.

If I was king those parents would be in the ground by now. But this should at minimum garner a Neglect of a Child charge. 2nd Degree Felony in Florida...

(e) “Neglect of a child” means:
1. A caregiver’s failure or omission to provide a child with the care, supervision, and services necessary to maintain the child’s physical and mental health, including, but not limited to, food, nutrition, clothing, shelter, supervision, medicine, and medical services that a prudent person would consider essential for the well-being of the child; 

(b) A person who willfully or by culpable negligence neglects a child and in so doing causes great bodily harm, permanent disability, or permanent disfigurement to the child commits a felony of the second degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082, s. 775.083, or s. 775.084.
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, 4th&Five said:

She has some serious credentials, but seems to have gone off the raills:

From wikipedia:

Attkisson resigned from CBS News on March 10, 2014, after 21 years with the network. She later wrote the book Stonewalled, in which she alleged that CBS News failed to give sufficient coverage of Barack Obama controversies, such as the 2012 Benghazi attack.[5] Attkisson has received criticism for publishing stories suggesting a possible link between vaccines and autism,[6][7][8] a claim that has been rejected by the scientific community.[9]

5 minutes ago, Bama Chick said:

No it would be a terrible thing.

If we do get a safe and workable vaccine but a large enough percentage of people refuse to vaccinate then we cannot achieve herd immunity.

I took his/ her comment to mean "it'll just weed 'em out of society faster." But then again maybe I'm just fucked up. 

Edited by LTbear

3 minutes ago, LTbear said:

I took his/ her comment to mean "it'll just weed 'em out of society faster." But then again maybe I'm just fucked up. 

That's how I took it as well, and as much as I'd also like to weed them out faster, saying it'd be good is still wrong. 

Edited by Hookah Horns

2 hours ago, BrickHorn said:

Natural herd immunity is not a solution. As sawbonz says above, it is the worst case scenario. It means that 3 out of 4 Americans got infected. It means that around 75% of Americans who would die if they became infected with COVID did, in fact, become infected with COVID and die. It means we let the plague run its course and burn through the population until it ran out of uninfected human fuel. If we get to natural herd immunity, we’ve catastrophically failed. 

Yes but then it would go away, like magic.

5 hours ago, 4th&Five said:

I'd love for these findings to be reproducible but this looks like a relatively low-quality observational study across multiple hospitals. I'm not in medical research, so I don't know exactly how strong the inferences you can make from them are, but I know it's not the best. 

6 minutes ago, staboner said:

American anxiety. And with a Tshirt on too. how cute

thats sad that someone is walking around with that level of anger just simmering inside of them

It's sweltering, they're surrounded by Floridians, and the roaches are so big they're called palmetto bugs. There but for the grace of God live I.

Edited by Degenerate Gardner
  • Like 2

Republicans have really painted themselves into a corner with this. Except the paint is feces, and we're in the corner with them.
Roughly 20 percent of respondents believe, as of late June, that the virus is already contained enough for a return to normal activities or will be in a few weeks. You can guess the partisan breakdown there. I cannot imagine being that stupid. Itb jusy makes me sad, honestly.
American anxiety. And with a Tshirt on too. how cute
thats sad that someone is walking around with that level of anger just simmering inside of them
A t shirt made in Cambodia, at that.

9 hours ago, Bama Chick said:

Jesus. Is it any wonder the rest of the world hates “ugly Americans”?

5e0f53f241aef1dd6134afa679659a30.jpg

Odds that guy had a concealed gun and wanted to create a situation in which he could claim self defense after shooting the cameraman = 100%.

• Like 5

11 minutes ago, lemonlime said:

Any clue why California hates Indiana, though?

That's Texas that California hates.  Illinois is the only state that hates Indiana.  Not even Pence and his conversion therapy lunacy can get Indiana on California's radar.