CR: COVID-19 --Political Talk

Mrs Whiggins

Guest Lobo

I admire their optimism, I just wish they'd stay farther back from my family.  

Also, I was playing a drinking game for a few weeks.  Drink anytime you heard or read "Hydrochloroquine", and drink twice if Trump says it/tweets it.  I was 'faced for a few weeks.

But now?  Crickets.  And I'm boringly sober.  For a wonder drug, I wonder why I don't hear about it anymore?  

1 hour ago, Lobo said:

I admire their optimism, I just wish they'd stay farther back from my family.  

Also, I was playing a drinking game for a few weeks.  Drink anytime you heard or read "Hydrochloroquine", and drink twice if Trump says it/tweets it.  I was 'faced for a few weeks.

But now?  Crickets.  And I'm boringly sober.  For a wonder drug, I wonder why I don't hear about it anymore?  

Drink bitch!

shots drinking GIF by VH1

Guest Lobo

I will take a drink after I get a name on that busty brunette ^^^

Also, what the hell happened to Sharyl Attkisson?  She was once a solid investigative journalist who received multiple Emmys and a Murrow Award (serious shit).  Obviously CBS did not like her conservative-bent, but I think she did solid work.  But between her vaccines cause autism bullshit and interviewing this HCQ hack, I guess she's in a new place now.  

Yesterday, Texas registered 85 Covid deaths.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/us/

Using stats from 2017, Covid is now ranked 3rd in daily death rates when measured against all other causes of death:

TX Leading Causes of Death, 2017 Deaths Rate*** State Rank* U.S. Rate**
1. Heart Disease 45,346 169.2 18th 165.0
2. Cancer 40,668 146.5 37th 152.5
3. Stroke 10,790 41.3 13th 37.6
4. Accidents 10,763 38.8 45th 49.4
5. Chronic Lower Respiratory Disease 10,650 40.5 31st 40.9
6. Alzheimer’s disease 9,545 38.5 12th 31.0
7. Diabetes 5,832 21.2 26th 21.5
8. Septicemia 4,268 15.8 7th 10.6
9. Kidney Disease 4,256 16.0 14th 13.0
10. Chronic Liver Disease/Cirrhosis 4,107 13.9 10th 10.9

https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/pressroom/states/texas/texas.htm

1 hour ago, Lobo said:

because it's cheap as hell.

46 minutes ago, Lobo said:

I will take a drink after I get a name on that busty brunette ^^^

Also, what the hell happened to Sharyl Attkisson?  She was once a solid investigative journalist who received multiple Emmys and a Murrow Award (serious shit).  Obviously CBS did not like her conservative-bent, but I think she did solid work.  But between her vaccines cause autism bullshit and interviewing this HCQ hack, I guess she's in a new place now.  

Drink more!  

TheHill.com

Navarro urges FDA to reconsider hydroxychloroquine as treatment for coronavirus

BY JOHN BOWDEN - 07/07/20 11:18 AM EDT 743

Navarro urges FDA to reconsider hydroxychloroquine as treatment for coronavirus

Volume 90%

White House trade adviser Peter Navarro on Tuesday reiterated the Trump administration's calls for the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) to authorize use of hydroxychloroquine, the antimalarial drug touted publicly by President Trump, to treat COVID-19 patients. 

Navarro told pool reporters that the FDA should approve a request from several Detroit doctors to grant emergency use authorization to the drug, which it granted and then rescinded earlier this year after several studies pointed to the drug not being helpful to treat or prevent COVID-19, the disease caused by the novel coronavirus.

https://thehill.com/homenews/administration/506172-navarro-urges-fda-to-reconsider-hydroxychloroquine-as-treatment-for

Now Bolsonaro is also taking it and advocating it, so make it a double!

Guest Lobo

We should all listen to Dr. Navarro, who got his doctorate at Harvard, when it comes to pharmaceutical advice. 

(checks notes, sees Navarro got his PhD in Economics and is currently the White House Director of Manufacturing Policy, was behind "Infrastructure Week", and has had one singular job since 2017---to properly explain to Donald Trump what exactly a Tariff is)

gobbluth/ I'VE MADE A HUGE MISTAKE 

9 minutes ago, Lobo said:

We should all listen to Dr. Navarro, who got his doctorate at Harvard, when it comes to pharmaceutical advice. 

(checks notes, sees Navarro got his PhD in Economics and is currently the White House Director of Manufacturing Policy, was behind "Infrastructure Week", and has had one singular job since 2017---to properly explain to Donald Trump what exactly a Tariff is)

gobbluth/ I'VE MADE A HUGE MISTAKE 

Might as well be an astrologist when it comes to HCQ. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

We are the worst in the world at dealing with this.  Every other country looks at the U.S. and says, “at least we’re not as fucking stupid as those people.”  An all around embarrassing disregard for human life.  That’s where I live now.  Fuck everything.

wait till a few more Q people get elected and lets see where we're at.  

56 minutes ago, Dnaguy said:

Yesterday, Texas registered 85 Covid deaths.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/us/

Using stats from 2017, Covid is now ranked 3rd in daily death rates when measured against all other causes of death:

TX Leading Causes of Death, 2017 Deaths Rate*** State Rank* U.S. Rate**
1. Heart Disease 45,346 169.2 18th 165.0
2. Cancer 40,668 146.5 37th 152.5
3. Stroke 10,790 41.3 13th 37.6
4. Accidents 10,763 38.8 45th 49.4
5. Chronic Lower Respiratory Disease 10,650 40.5 31st 40.9
6. Alzheimer’s disease 9,545 38.5 12th 31.0
7. Diabetes 5,832 21.2 26th 21.5
8. Septicemia 4,268 15.8 7th 10.6
9. Kidney Disease 4,256 16.0 14th 13.0
10. Chronic Liver Disease/Cirrhosis 4,107 13.9 10th 10.9

https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/pressroom/states/texas/texas.htm

If they didn't test for cancer, cancer related deaths would go way down.  

I just saw all this school opening talk and wanted to chime in with what my district here in North Texas/Dallas suburb is doing.  They have given us until July 17th to elect whether your kid is going to be virtual or in person for the first 9 weeks of school.  They stated they will not require masks, not lower capacity of students in a class or do any social distancing with desks in class rooms, not stagger in between classes so the halls aren’t wall to wall with kids, not stagger lunch times, not stop the sports programs and basically NOT do anything other than they bought protective shields for the desks but they will not be installed.  They will just be available in each class room if the student wants to grab one and put it up themselves for that class.   My wife is so angry I can’t even explain it.  My brother in law is a Principal at a large High School in the Houston area and he has told us of the multiple plans he has put together of ways to stagger everything from virtual to “in person class” to try and get as little contact for the students and he still thinks it should be virtual at this point and my district is run by a bunch of Republican Trumpers that are doing nothing.  It’s like they put their plan together in 5 minutes the night before they were supposed to present it.  SO FRUSTRATING.  

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Cairn Horn88 said:

I want Danny Patrick there, in person, without a mask, rubbing elbows with everyone.  Do it for your country.

Hell, I hope they're serving a buffet with cafeteria style seating.  

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

I just saw all this school opening talk and wanted to chime in with what my district here in North Texas/Dallas suburb is doing.  They have given us until July 17th to elect whether your kid is going to be virtual or in person for the first 9 weeks of school.  They stated they will not require masks, not lower capacity of students in a class or do any social distancing with desks in class rooms, not stagger in between classes so the halls aren’t wall to wall with kids, not stagger lunch times, not stop the sports programs and basically NOT do anything other than they bought protective shields for the desks but they will not be installed.  They will just be available in each class room if the student wants to grab one and put it up themselves for that class.   My wife is so angry I can’t even explain it.  My brother in law is a Principal at a large High School in the Houston area and he has told us of the multiple plans he has put together of ways to stagger everything from virtual to “in person class” to try and get as little contact for the students and he still thinks it should be virtual at this point and my district is run by a bunch of Republican Trumpers that are doing nothing.  It’s like they put their plan together in 5 minutes the night before they were supposed to present it.  SO FRUSTRATING.  

That’s amazing.

District: So are you going to eat it?

Parent: It’s a shit sandwich!

District: I need an answer.

Parent: I mean, it’s bread with feces in the middle. That can’t be safe.

District: I know you haven’t eaten. You don’t have any more options unless you want to buy your own sandwich shop and make you own.

Parent: This isn’t even close to fair.

District: Well, I ate a lot of peanuts so maybe you can pick those out and eat those if you’re so high and mighty.

Parent: [speechless]
District: [taps watch]

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, babysdaddy said:

Are you going to address the peer reviewed piece from the pediatricians or are you just going to brush it aside and say we suck and we can’t do it? Do you have kids? Our federal government and president have fucked up everything but that is irrelevant to the fact that kids are not spreading it to other kids or adults. Just read it and then you can condescendingly respond to me since that seems to be your schtick

It's been pointed out to you multiple times where the very piece you posted and are discussing noted that school closures could have accounted for the lack of child-based transmission. Are you going to address that?

It's also been pointed out to you that Israel had a severe issue when they reopened schools. Are you going to address that?

Here is some information for you.

https://www.npr.org/sections/coronavirus-live-updates/2020/06/03/868507524/israel-orders-schools-to-close-when-covid-19-cases-are-discovered

image.png.e75ac20644bef70c55ce4768fe6c7edb.png

• Like 6

8 hours ago, softlynow said:

Are you going to address the fact that you apparently don’t read the entire piece and that it’s initial publication predated the failed Israeli school reopening experiment?

Also, are you of the wrong-headed opinion that one study, even though peer-reviewed doesn’t close the book on an issue? Why is that?

I did read the piece.  And I read the article you (or someone posted) on Israel.  And of course I wouldn't claim it closed the issue.  I just see people emotionally responding with 'we can't open schools' and I found that study that said kids were not spreading vectors.

And just so we are clear, I'm looking for anything to validate my desire to get my kids the fuck out of my house.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

It's been pointed out to you multiple times where the very piece you posted and are discussing noted that school closures could have accounted for the lack of child-based transmission. Are you going to address that? It is a possibility.

It's also been pointed out to you that Israel had a severe issue when they reopened schools. Are you going to address that? That article seemed to mention reopenings around everything, not just schools, so I don't think you can attribute the graph below just to schools. That NPR article doesn't give any details either other than case numbers, not where they were infected or the breakdown between staff and kids.  But thanks for the article, I hope that doesn't happen here.

Here is some information for you.

https://www.npr.org/sections/coronavirus-live-updates/2020/06/03/868507524/israel-orders-schools-to-close-when-covid-19-cases-are-discovered

image.png.e75ac20644bef70c55ce4768fe6c7edb.png

Sure.  Yes, 

14 hours ago, Bama Chick said:

Trump already waffling on holding the Republican National Convention in Jacksonville.

They’re going to fuck around and end up with a complete disorganized disaster because they won’t go ahead and admit that the old way won’t work.

Because that would mean that they have failed.

They pack brown immigrant children into cages. Now they're going to pack American children into classrooms during a dangerous contagion. They've sucked all the money they can for their friends out of this plague in broad daylight. Now's the time for a desperate grasp at holding power.

They don't give a shit about American citizens, so they can, without qualm, pursue any strategy that offers them hope of winning in November. They're led by a man whose never had a qualm about anything in his life.

14 hours ago, MC Fresh Breath said:

I would normally put this in the baseball forum MLB thread, but I'm pretty sure it would somehow be poking the 'no politics' bears.

From the article linked:

Sounds like my idiot co-worker.  Holy shit.  The amount of these people out there is just spooky.

from that picture alone it looks like he can lose more than 25 pounds and still not be healthy (this coming from a gordito that could lose 25 pounds). 

Kinda sad story:  a well-known club promoter in San Antonio (have a few friends that own bars/clubs here) was posting "I've been raw dogging strippers since 03 you think Covid is going to stop me...shiiiittttt" - pretty much exact quote from his Facebook on June 13th.  Well, he died on Sunday from COVID.  He was beyond overweight which put him in an already bad spot in fighting this shit but damn its the straight up ignorance to this shit that pisses me off.  It also feels weird because I've kind of gone numb to people who were bitching about bars needing to be opened back up only to then get covid and look for sympathy (shit even gofundmes) with long winded posts about the seriousness of this virus.  

Stay safe vatos and wear a mask.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

They pack brown immigrant children into cages. Now they're going to pack American children into classrooms during a dangerous contagion. They've sucked all the money they can for their friends out of this plague in broad daylight. Now's the time for a desperate grasp at holding power.

They don't give a shit about American citizens, so they can, without qualm, pursue any strategy that offers them hope of winning in November. They're led by a man whose never had a qualm about anything in his life.

Many people have told me the the qualms at Mar-a-lago are outstanding.  Some even say they are the best qualms they have ever had.

• Haha 1

This was from last week and includes some details on the breakdown in cases at Texas daycare facilities - 894 staff members and 441 children.  The fact that fewer kids seem to be getting infected than staff members could be explained one of two ways - (1) kids really don't get infected as much, but when you have a few infected kids in a closed facility with A/C, a lot of adults end up getting sick; or (2) infections among kids may just be getting underreported because many are asymptomatic.  Either way, the problem would seem to be that once we open schools, a lot of teachers + a lot of parents / family members are going to end up sick as kids get sick.  It may be the case that serious illness among kids is pretty rare - at this point I don't think we really know if kids getting exposed to increased viral loads could result in worse illnesses among kids than we've seen to date.  Regardless, it feels like the Texas and Israeli experiences suggest that at a minimum sending kids to schools will result in an increase in viral vectors that will make getting control of the virus (i.e., in particular, reducing patients in ICUs) significantly more difficult.

• Like 5

16 minutes ago, Gap03 said:

This was from last week and includes some details on the breakdown in cases at Texas daycare facilities - 894 staff members and 441 children.  The fact that fewer kids seem to be getting infected than staff members could be explained one of two ways - (1) kids really don't get infected as much, but when you have a few infected kids in a closed facility with A/C, a lot of adults end up getting sick; or (2) infections among kids may just be getting underreported because many are asymptomatic.  Either way, the problem would seem to be that once we open schools, a lot of teachers + a lot of parents / family members are going to end up sick as kids get sick.  It may be the case that serious illness among kids is pretty rare - at this point I don't think we really know if kids getting exposed to increased viral loads could result in worse illnesses among kids than we've seen to date.  Regardless, it feels like the Texas and Israeli experiences suggest that at a minimum sending kids to schools will result in an increase in viral vectors that will make getting control of the virus (i.e., in particular, reducing patients in ICUs) significantly more difficult.

The day care staff could also very well be getting a substantial number of those cases from outside the day care environment, unrelated to any exposure to the children. If that is the case, those data could suggest that adult to child transmission in situations with high ratios of children to adults in indoor environments is rare. I mean, without more information about the clusters and tracing, we can come up with a lot of different angles to dissect. It's all highly speculative.

One way or the other, it appears that we are about to engage in a big natural epidemiological experiment where our children and their teachers are the primary subjects.  Hope that somebody is collecting good data so that we can do a thorough, eh, post-mortem. 

tenor.gif?itemid=5971326

Edited by Anastasis
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Dnaguy said:

That’s amazing.

District: So are you going to eat it?

Parent: It’s a shit sandwich!

District: I need an answer.

Parent: I mean, it’s bread with feces in the middle. That can’t be safe.

District: I know you haven’t eaten. You don’t have any more options unless you want to buy your own sandwich shop and make you own.

Parent: This isn’t even close to fair.

District: Well, I ate a lot of peanuts so maybe you can pick those out and eat those if you’re so high and mighty.

Parent: [speechless]
District: [taps watch]

My understanding is that the districts must obey the Texas Eduacation Agency Commissioner or the Governor. Districts can make a request to close their doors in cases of disease outbreak (flu, for instance) or disaster, but the state gives the order. I think that's right as explained to me by a state employee.

https://www.npr.org/2020/06/24/882316641/what-parents-can-learn-from-child-care-centers-that-stayed-open-during-lockdowns

The Y says that during the lockdowns it cared for up to 40,000 children between the ages of 1 and 14 at 1,100 separate sites, often in partnership with local and state governments. And in New York City, the pandemic's national epicenter in March and April, the city's Department of Education reports that it cared for more than 10,000 children at 170 sites.

Working in early days, and on very short notice, these two organizations followed safety guidance that closely resembles what's now been officially put out by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. The Y says a few staff members and parents at sites around the country did test positive, but there are no records of having more than one case at a site. This, among a population of essential workers.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Horn Under a Bad Sign said:

And on Feb 1st, 2021 the Republican politicians will be screaming that all of this unemployment and budget gaps are because of President Joe Biden and the do nothing Democrats.  The rabble will eat that up and start Tea Party #2 Electric Bugaloo and be out with their pitchforks saying we need more Republicans in power to get us back to the good old days.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RomaVicta said:

And we all know the kids that will be in the classrooms are the kids of all essential workers who have no choice but to send their kids to school so they can work. The people with money are already lining up tutors and nannies to homeschool their kids. I know several people already creating mini-pods of homeschools. A small group of families that hire people to teach their small group of kids at home. Not saying it's wrong for them to do so, it's a great idea since the school districts aren't giving us much choice but this is why latinos and other minorities are getting the virus. They can't stay home, they have to work whatever essential job they can find.

• Like 5

14 minutes ago, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

And on Feb 1st, 2021 the Republican politicians will be screaming that all of this unemployment and budget gaps are because of President Joe Biden and the do nothing Democrats.  The rabble will eat that up and start Tea Party #2 Electric Bugaloo and be out with their pitchforks saying we need more Republicans in power to get us back to the good old days.

Pretty much.

Republicans fuck up.

Dems come in. Get blamed. Republicans get the keys again and drive us into a ditch.

Rinse. 

repeat.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, babysdaddy said:

I did read the piece.  And I read the article you (or someone posted) on Israel.  And of course I wouldn't claim it closed the issue.  I just see people emotionally responding with 'we can't open schools' and I found that study that said kids were not spreading vectors.

And just so we are clear, I'm looking for anything to validate my desire to get my kids the fuck out of my house.

Fair enough.

I'm lucky that I have a mother-in-law recently retired as a children's librarian that can easily manage homeschooling and facilitating remote classes for my two girls (4, and 7 y.o., no pics pedos). I'm very aware that's a rare situation. I'd also love for school to be in session, because I'm sure the guilt trips from my mother-in-law will come if this shit isn't sorted out.

That said, we can't do this without a solid plan, which we obviously do not have.

I think in the Minneapolis thread there was a discussion of BLM's ideas on the nuclear family. If schools cannot open fully, I would hope that this would be an impetus for this to happen. I truly believe a lot of what ails us as a nation stems from insulation and isolation on multiple levels. One way to combat that would be a cultural shift towards community and neighborhood togetherness. If children have to rotate the days they can be in class, stay-at-home parents (teleworking or simply homemaking) should take up the slack for more than just their own children. I would hope that social media like nextdoor could be useful and not the joke it mostly is.

There's solutions out there, and I'm just touching briefly on one. Of course, you know the problem. We're not having discussions about solutions because the very fact that there is a problem is so highly politicized. The body politic is broken, and the guy in charge only knows how break it more.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, sachick said:

And we all know the kids that will be in the classrooms are the kids of all essential workers who have no choice but to send their kids to school so they can work. The people with money are already lining up tutors and nannies to homeschool their kids. I know several people already creating mini-pods of homeschools. A small group of families that hire people to teach their small group of kids at home. Not saying it's wrong for them to do so, it's a great idea since the school districts aren't giving us much choice but this is why latinos and other minorities are getting the virus. They can't stay home, they have to work whatever essential job they can find.

Yep, seeing a lot of that.  Groups of like minded parents putting out feelers for other parents to pull their kids together with a hired teacher tutor for small group learning in a controlled and safe environment.

The reality is that our school districts are just not built to administer education in the setting of a pandemic.  It is almost impossible for them to do what is necessary from a purely disease control perspective, and they have to account for a wide variety of the various perspectives of parents involved. The parents that have the means, have options to go outside that system.  The parents that don't, don't. A discussion of what educational voucher programs might look like in this context would interesting. Such a program might give parents who have fewer options more choice in directing their children to an educational setting more in line with their personal perspective on COVID response. 

1 hour ago, Gap03 said:

Read this.  Then re read it.  

The problem with opening the schools is not the kids (although there will be I’m sure tragic results among the littles).

Schools become the vector that spreads the disease to households.  It nullifies the isolating effects of shutdowns, WFH, and social isolation. Every time your kid sits in a close contact with 20 other likely asymptotic carriers in an ancient building with a creaky HVAC system, the chances of the disease spread goes through the roof.  Little Johnny is most likely how your parents with COPD catch it.  Not going to Gas ‘n Sip.

Immediately closing the schools in March is likely what helped the low infection states avoid the disease prior to reopening. Once it got lose in the schools in NYC and Italy, every household had it.

• Like 3

Cases are being counted multiple times!  They are inflating the hospitalization numbers, if you come in for something unrelated and then test positive while you are in the hospital, they count that too for the $$$$!  They are coding everything as Covid, even if they died WITH Covid, not FROM Covid!

Unfortunately I'm hearing this from some of my family.  It's a huge source of frustration and sadness in my life right now.  I never thought I would have to tell my parents to STFU, but here we are.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

Feb 1st?  I'm surprised Trump isn't blaming Biden RIGHT NOW for everything that's going on.  

Oh, he is?  OK, carry on.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Bateshorn said:

Read this.  Then re read it.  

The problem with opening the schools is not the kids (although there will be I’m sure tragic results among the littles).

Schools become the vector that spreads the disease to households.  It nullifies the isolating effects of shutdowns, WFH, and social isolation. Every time your kid sits in a close contact with 20 other likely asymptotic carriers in an ancient building with a creaky HVAC system, the chances of the disease spread goes through the roof.  Little Johnny is most likely how your parents with COPD catch it.  Not going to Gas ‘n Sip.

Immediately closing the schools in March is likely what helped the low infection states avoid the disease prior to reopening. Once it got lose in the schools in NYC and Italy, every household had it.

The push to re-open schools isn’t about education or health.  It’s a business decision.  

Just like everything else. 

• Like 6