CR: COVID-19 --Political Talk

Mrs Whiggins

4 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

I don't understand the idea of postponing.  Move to online learning until the coast is clear.  We know online learning is less efficient than in-class learning -- get on it ASAP, instead of kicking the can down the road when kids could be (in theory) learning something.

I guess I should note they were planning on full classes everyday while Omaha was starting with rotating schedules and an online component. I’m guessing they’ll head that direction before outright postponement 

48 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

The school debate is so fucking stupid.  Yeah sure, open up the schools morons. It’s only going to take a week before there’s a school outbreak and then you’re going to have to shut down the school anyway.  Idiot world. 

Pretty much what happened with summer camps

3 minutes ago, Horn Under a Bad Sign said:

Holy fuck.  Angela Merkel sticks the dagger into Trump's bloated carcass and twists it.  But then, she's educated, intelligent, and understands science. 

https://www.cnn.com/2020/07/10/world/meanwhile-in-america-july-10-intl/index.html

I can't even imagine what she's thinking when they have to interact.  She's a damn PhD in quantum chemistry or some such, and he's a trust fund moron who always thinks he's the smartest guy in the room.

Hey, Florida is finally joining the party.  Releasing numbers, but late on a Friday:

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/coronavirus/os-ne-coronavirus-county-hospitalizations-ahca-20200710-5fpnosf2m5feteib5gtwb3lkz4-story.html

Nearly 7,000 Floridians are currently hospitalized with COVID-19, according to new county-by-county data released Friday by the state Agency for Health Care Administration.

The data, which for the first time breaks down the number of people in the hospital with coronavirus, was promised by the state two weeks ago.

It does not show how many patients are in general hospital beds or intensive care units.

Up to now, Florida has been one of only three states to withhold current COVID-19 hospitalization data from the public. Experts have criticized the state for not releasing the data, which is a valuable metric for epidemiologists and researchers in assessing the spread of the disease. Hospitalizations provide a glimpse of what was happening two weeks ago when people were being exposed to the virus.

Edited by Francisco 2.0

12 hours ago, Dnaguy said:

This is correct.

This is not

A shit ton is a collective noun.

What are you some limey who reads collective nouns as plural?

1776 motherfucker.

american-revolution-hero.jpg

While a shit ton of terrible degrees exist, this painting has been edited. No airport. FAKE NEWS.

With respect to the schools reopening, once the Active Shooter Drills, the Fire Drills, the Severe Weather Drills, and the COVID Drills have all been conducted, that leaves about five minutes for learning after the Pledge. Class dismissed!

Edited by Mrs Whiggins
spelling
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, JimmyJames said:

This is partially a political post because it’s my opinion that this problem won’t go away until two things happen: (1) trump is forced out of office and (2) we develop a vaccine. 

Number one is inevitable. But with respect to the vaccine, I’m not a scientist, but since Covid is more like a cold than the flu, and to my knowledge we’ve never developed a cold vaccine, how confident can we be that one is actually coming? 

Covid is not more like a cold than the flu. Although it is true some colds are caused by coronaviruses, most common colds are caused by rhinoviruses (HRV), and there are over 100 distinct serotypes of HRV that cause the common cold. It may be feasible to develop a vaccine for the 4 or so coronaviruses that cause colds, but you wouldn’t put much of a dent in the disease overall. The spike protein is a pretty attractive target for a vaccine, as it is critical for virus attachment to host cells and therefore necessarily highly conserved in the virus. 

• Like 4

7 hours ago, gmr548 said:
11 hours ago, elfenix said:

This is fake news. There's no one under 60 in Cleveland.

Baker Mayfield is only 35... in interceptions.

My mom in FL said both her neighbors (husband and wife) got corona virus last week.  The husband already died but he was 97 and his wife is recovering and she is 95. I get they were really old but they were both still living at home, driving a car and playing golf ( scary I know) got the disease and then both hospitalized and one of em died.  

18 hours ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

The school debate is so fucking stupid.  Yeah sure, open up the schools morons. It’s only going to take a week before there’s a school outbreak and then you’re going to have to shut down the school anyway.  Idiot world. 

3 hours ago, Pig Bellmont said:

You can’t open schools or get people back to work without the controlling the virus. Schools and businesses will simply close as kids and workers get sick. The disruptions are foreseeable and unnecessary 

You know the fucked up thing about this situation is not that your statements are true (they are), but that the TEA fucking admits it in their Planning Guidance document released on July 7, 2020:

There will almost certainly be situations that necessitate temporary school closure due to positive COVID-19 cases in schools. Parents, educators, and school administrators should be prepared for this in the event that it occurs, while actively working to prevent it through prevention and mitigation practices.

Oh, OK. Mitigation is the key, right?

Identifying Possible COVID-19 Cases on Campus

o Schools must immediately separate any student who shows COVID-19 symptoms while at school until the student can be picked up by a parent or guardian.

o Schools should clean the areas used by the individual who shows COVID-19 symptoms while at school (student, teacher, or staff) as soon as is feasible.

o Students who report feeling feverish should be given an immediate temperature check to determine if they are symptomatic for COVID-19.

So...one of the few things we know about this virus is that the people who are spreading it the most are the asymptomatic ones. So how the fuck is this mitigation strategy going to work? Last I checked, most schools don't have a tricked-out, plutonium-fueled DeLorean to go back in time and remove the super spreaders from the rest of the kids. 

Am I over-reacting? I want my son to be in a classroom again, and he wants it more than I do, but neither of us want him there until we feel it is safe. For everyone.

• Like 4

Interesting sub-headline:

Richard Rose in April posted on Facebook that he would not wear a mask. In an unlikely turn of events, he lost his battle with COVID-19 three months later.

What were the odds?  One in a million, doc.

First symptoms to dead in approximately one week.  Watch the video:

He was a good boy

Edited by jimmyjazz

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/jul/08/warning-of-serious-brain-disorders-in-people-with-mild-covid-symptoms

"

Doctors may be missing signs of serious and potentially fatal brain disorders triggered by coronavirus, as they emerge in mildly affected or recovering patients, scientists have warned.

Neurologists are on Wednesday publishing details of more than 40 UK Covid-19 patients whose complications ranged from brain inflammation and delirium to nerve damage and stroke. In some cases, the neurological problem was the patient’s first and main symptom.

The cases, published in the journal Brain, revealed a rise in a life-threatening condition called acute disseminated encephalomyelitis (Adem), as the first wave of infections swept through Britain. At UCL’s Institute of Neurology, Adem cases rose from one a month before the pandemic to two or three per week in April and May. One woman, who was 59, died of the complication."

8 minutes ago, NameAlreadyInUse said:

Not this shit again. Negged.

Meh, I'm gonna wait until the early intervention RCT is published to bump that topic.  The results are negative, but the ink has to dry.  And BTW, the FDA has access to all that RCT data, while Navarro is doing his thing based on an observational study. 

Edited by Anastasis

2 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Navarro is a special kind of evil.  He's a total cockmunch who is quite sure he's the smartest guy on the planet, a raging asshole, and clearly way out over his skis.  Fuck that guy.

In some fairness to Navarro, he was one of the only people inside the administration taking the COVID threat seriously from the jump.  Not sure why he is doing the HCQ thing, but it really is a strange grab bag of personalities that cling to it. 

2 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

In some fairness to Navarro, he was one of the only people inside the administration taking the COVID threat seriously from the jump.  Not sure why he is doing the HCQ thing, but it really is a strange grab bag of personalities that cling to it. 

He doesn't deserve fairness for recognizing what 80% of the country recognized.  He thinks his PhD in Economics grants him expert status in epidemiology.  (I have literally seen him brag in interviews that "this is what he does", referring to statistical studies, which is so broad a brush as to border on ridiculous.)

9 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

He doesn't deserve fairness for recognizing what 80% of the country recognized.  He thinks his PhD in Economics grants him expert status in epidemiology.  (I have literally seen him brag in interviews that "this is what he does", referring to statistical studies, which is so broad a brush as to border on ridiculous.)

He was throwing up the red flag in late January. I would say that public tide turned later in February, and most substantially in March.  I think that a review of the threads on the topic here would probably bare out a similar timeline. I agree on the rest. 

44 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

A lot of people with PhDs in economics think they know statistics for some reason.

He's not totally wrong. Most (?) PhD programs require you to get a minor in "Research Methods" or something similar. One of the things you're taught is research study design. In my program, we had a class where we read papers across many diverse fields to critique study design, because the basic rules are the same regardless of the field. There are several Covid papers I've read where I immediately saw huge flaws because of the way they set up the study.

4 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:
1 hour ago, jimmyjazz said:

He's not totally wrong. Most (?) PhD programs require you to get a minor in "Research Methods" or something similar. One of the things you're taught is research study design. In my program, we had a class where we read papers across many diverse fields to critique study design, because the basic rules are the same regardless of the field. There are several Covid papers I've read where I immediately saw huge flaws because of the way they set up the study.

I invite you to go back and watch several months of Navarro interviews on CNN, FOX, etc., and then come back and give us your interpretation of his suitability to guide or even influence our national response to this pandemic.  He's a Trump ass-kisser who blows with Trump's wind.  (Ew.)

1 hour ago, Anastasis said:

He’s doing it for the grift. Both he and Giuliani.  

34 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

I invite you to go back and watch several months of Navarro interviews on CNN, FOX, etc., and then come back and give us your interpretation of his suitability to guide or even influence our national response to this pandemic.  He's a Trump ass-kisser who blows with Trump's wind.  (Ew.)

No, I was talking in general, not specifically about this certifiable dumbfuck.