CR: COVID-19 --Political Talk

Mrs Whiggins

3 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

He didn't can Fauci, did he?

At this point, that would probably be in our best interests if he did.  At least then Fauci wouldn't feel compelled to try to walk the fine line.

Twitter isn't blowing up yet with this info, if it has happened.

9 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

He didn't can Fauci, did he?

At this point, that would probably be in our best interests if he did.  At least then Fauci wouldn't feel compelled to try to walk the fine line.

CNN saying “big divide” and the WH is pointing out all the times he’s been wrong. Feels like it’s inevitable. The word cnn used was “sidelined.”

Edited by SydneyCarton

5 minutes ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

Twitter isn't blowing up yet with this info, if it has happened.

This is all I'm seeing. He ain't fired yet, but they are trying to sideline him.

As Fauci becomes more vocal, Trump aides are moving to undercut him.

President Trump’s advisers undercut the nation’s top infectious disease expert, Dr. Anthony S. Fauci, over the weekend, anonymously providing details to various news outlets about statements he had made early in the outbreak that they said were inaccurate.

The move to treat Dr. Fauci as if he were a warring political rival comes as he has grown increasingly vocal in his concerns about the national surge in coronavirus cases. He has also noted his lack of access to Mr. Trump.

Aides to Mr. Trump released to The Washington Post and later other news outlets a list of remarks Dr. Fauci made about the virus when it was in its early stages.  It featured several comments White House aides had privately complained about for months.

An official told The Post that several other officials were concerned about how often Dr. Fauci had been wrong.

For example, White House officials pointed to a statement by he made in a Feb. 29 interview that “at this moment, there is no need to change anything that you’re doing on a day-by-day basis.”

But they omitted a warning Dr. Fauci delivered right after.

“Right now the risk is still low, but this could change,” he said in the interview, conducted by NBC News. “When you start to see community spread, this could change and force you to become much more attentive to doing things that would protect you from spread.”

Dr. Fauci works for the Trump administration, but the list of his statements was laid out in the style of a campaign’s opposition research document. Its release to new organizations by the White House was extraordinary.

A poll conducted for The New York Times by Siena College last month showed that 67 percent of Americans trusted Dr. Fauci when it came to the virus; only 26 percent trusted the president.

In an interview on a podcast with FiveThirtyEight.com last week, Dr. Fauci said that a few states had the virus under control but that “as a country, when you compare us to other countries, I don’t think you can say we’re doing great. I mean, we’re just not.”

Last week, Mr. Trump told Fox News that Dr. Fauci had been wrong about many aspects of the pandemic. Dr. Fauci “is a nice man, but he’s made a lot of mistakes,” the president said.

10 minutes ago, 4th&Five said:

Something else that will only be popular with his moronic base and do nothing but cost him votes. 4-D chess as usual. 

About a month ago, my FIL was bitching on Facebook that Fauci was nothing more than a fucking show off (his exact words), all he was doing was "scaring" people and that Trump needed to fire him ASAP.

That was enough for my wife to finally hide her dad on Facebook.

Edited by Francisco 2.0

On 7/11/2020 at 11:46 AM, PsychMike said:

You know the fucked up thing about this situation is not that your statements are true (they are), but that the TEA fucking admits it in their Planning Guidance document released on July 7, 2020:

Oh, OK. Mitigation is the key, right?

So...one of the few things we know about this virus is that the people who are spreading it the most are the asymptomatic ones. So how the fuck is this mitigation strategy going to work? Last I checked, most schools don't have a tricked-out, plutonium-fueled DeLorean to go back in time and remove the super spreaders from the rest of the kids. 

Am I over-reacting? I want my son to be in a classroom again, and he wants it more than I do, but neither of us want him there until we feel it is safe. For everyone.

completely agree with your post but only because accurate info is one of our only weapons in this, I think i read that the latest research pointed at pre-symptomatic and not asymptomatic fueling larger outbreaks. I could be wrong though. 

• Fuck You 1

7 hours ago, ultimaton said:

Seeing my dumbfuck Trumper sister and her equally dumbfuck husband suddenly jump on the "everybody wear masks ya'll!!!" train after months of anti-mask conspiracy theories, it just continues to boggle my fucking mind that if Trump had just done the bare minimum at the start of this and asked people to take this seriously and asked them to mask up, we'd  likely be on the other side of this, the economy would be in relatively decent shape, and most importantly tens of thousands of Americans wouldn't have died miserable, lonely deaths. 

Fuck this motherfucker.

He’d also have won re-election in a landslide.

I see there is a DT thread on AISD but would be interested in a school discussion from a national perspective as well.  I have some of the same fears that many do with these forced re-openings.  It also is really sad and a bit anger inducing how this whole movement seems to be a part of the conservative desire to kill public schools.  Now that killing is literal as well as metaphorical.

On a personal note, I'm very unsure what I'm going to do this fall.

He’d also have won re-election in a landslide.
If Trump actually sticks to it, you can bet a good chunk of the olds and moderates that have abandoned him in the past few months will be fawning and go back, and the polls will tighten.
  • Like 1

I see there is a DT thread on AISD but would be interested in a school discussion from a national perspective as well.  I have some of the same fears that many do with these forced re-openings.  It also is really sad and a bit anger inducing how this whole movement seems to be a part of the conservative desire to kill public schools.  Now that killing is literal as well as metaphorical.

I don't know that a school discussion can really be had nationally. It's a very localized issue. Except this: the idea that the federal government would threaten, empty as it may be, to cut educational funding right now is criminally stupid.
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, ultimaton said:

if Trump had just done the bare minimum at the start of this and asked people to take this seriously and asked them to mask up,

The thing that gets me, is that any new Lieutenant, hell, any new Corporal, gets drummed into their head that if you want the troops to do something, you first do it yourself. Leadership by example.

No, Trump wasn't in the real Army, but even at that fake-ass military school he should have picked up on this principle. Hell, I bet Aggy knows this much.

And if he didn't, jeez, how do millions of complete civilians pick up on it, because it just makes sense?

It's not about privilege-- even the most privileged people in history, I'll just flail about and say English Upper Class twits circa 100 years ago-- they may have had brains born dead, the tactical sense of onions, but if they had to lead their troops into battle, they'd stand up in front and actually lead their troops. They were somebody.

If Trump was an asshole, and still managed to help save lives, that'd be one thing. He's just an asshole.

• Like 5

30 minutes ago, NameAlreadyInUse said:

Bill Mitchell works extremely hard at his job of proving that he's the dumbest human alive.  It's a tough job because he's up against stiff competition.

Stupid nazis apparently find him to be dishonest, also.

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/bill-mitchell-donald-trump-supporter-move-to-miami_n_5d5302a0e4b05fa9df05df82

5 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

ABG, dude....Always Be Grifting.  Trump and Trumpism is nothing but a con-game.  That's it, full stop.  It's just a garden-variety criminal enterprise, using politics as its path to cash.

5 hours ago, Snake Diggity said:

Is it possible that Trump has calculated the time he thinks it will take to beat the virus with masks, and is embracing masks now to time the curve to turn down right before the election?  That is giving him way too much credit I suppose.

Face Palm GIF

• Like 3

2 hours ago, MC Fresh Breath said:

Anyone who would send their kid to a pandemic factory to purposely infect them I'd an unfit parent and should do time for child endangerment. Sure the fatality rate for children is very low but we don't know the long term effects of infection and there's already evidence of possibly permanent lung damage in mild or asymptomatic people. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MC Fresh Breath said:

It also is really sad and a bit anger inducing how this whole movement seems to be a part of the conservative desire to kill public schools.  Now that killing is literal as well as metaphorical.

1) This was the entire reason d'etre for Betsy DeVos.

2.) She doesn't care. She has been above the little people her whole life and if they die, they didn't deserve to live. Privatizing education and the military (see: Prince, Eric) cement their status in the hierarchy of the class where money is greater than the Constitution.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

2.) She doesn't care. She has been above the little people her whole life and if they die, they didn't deserve to live. Privatizing education and the military (see: Prince, Eric) cement their status in the hierarchy of the class where money is greater than the Constitution.

She certainly implied in that CNN interview that she wants to give parents options if public schools won't enforce in-person classes (e.g., private school vouchers).

19 minutes ago, Wanker Bob said:

Anyone who would send their kid to a pandemic factory to purposely infect them I'd an unfit parent and should do time for child endangerment. Sure the fatality rate for children is very low but we don't know the long term effects of infection and there's already evidence of possibly permanent lung damage in mild or asymptomatic people. 

That of course wouldn't be my goal.  What I meant by not knowing what to do was to gauge whether the public school online "system" which was pretty bad in the Spring will be something I subject our family to in the fall.   I don't think anyone is sending their kids "to purposely infect them" other than may be some nut jobs out there.  But certainly not the vast majority of working parents who are going to be faced with hard choices this fall.  The well off will manage, but others might have no choice if both in person school and work is mandated.  

On the personal level, as I've mentioned (maybe too much) I moved my family last December and my kids have been transitioned from one school to another to then abrupt online edu, with no chance for the social connections that kids thrive on.  I also have one self-motivator but one I'll have to push to do anything who has certainly already fallen behind.  This makes any form of home schooling feel like a threat, and both my wife and I work form home, but it falls more on the wife.   Yet, as you well note, sending them in person puts so much at risk.   And I feel that if I shift them to a private/home school situation, then maybe things clear up by say Spring 2021 (who knows) will I be jostling them yet again? 

I apologize for the disjointed rambling. 

20 minutes ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

Yes, of course.  But now we can't all hold hands and repeat the "just wait until 2021" mantra.

1 minute ago, FondrenRoad said:

But zork promised that was why.

Jesus.  I was in a battle royale with the usual DT suspects about this very thing, and eventually gave up.  At the time there were very dense American cities suffering nowhere near the infectious spread of the virus as NYC, but I was assured that density and mass transit were the dominant factors.  To be sure, NYC is #1 in the clubhouse for density and mass transit, but their edge in those metrics over, say, other early urban centers with the virus like San Francisco just didn't add up in terms of pure causality.

Looks like I was right.