CR: COVID-19 --Political Talk

Mrs Whiggins

12 minutes ago, MC Fresh Breath said:

That of course wouldn't be my goal.  What I meant by not knowing what to do was to gauge whether the public school online "system" which was pretty bad in the Spring will be something I subject our family to in the fall.   I don't think anyone is sending their kids "to purposely infect them" other than may be some nut jobs out there.  But certainly not the vast majority of working parents who are going to be faced with hard choices this fall.  The well off will manage, but others might have no choice if both in person school and work is mandated.  

On the personal level, as I've mentioned (maybe too much) I moved my family last December and my kids have been transitioned from one school to another to then abrupt online edu, with no chance for the social connections that kids thrive on.  I also have one self-motivator but one I'll have to push to do anything who has certainly already fallen behind.  This makes any form of home schooling feel like a threat, and both my wife and I work form home, but it falls more on the wife.   Yet, as you well note, sending them in person puts so much at risk.   And I feel that if I shift them to a private/home school situation, then maybe things clear up by say Spring 2021 (who knows) will I be jostling them yet again? 

I apologize for the disjointed rambling. 

Here's a sympathetic voice: it's fucking hard, and it's a hard call.

Kids NEED in-person schooling.  There seems to be no doubt that it's helpful to most kids both academically and socially, and losing a large block of it can have serious negative effects, including over the long term.

But beyond the health of the kids themselves, there's the health of the teachers and staff to account for, as well as the families those kids will go home to every day.

It's a complicated fucking problem, with a lot of unbalanced risk-reward calculations along the way.

I don't know what the right call is.  I really don't.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, MC Fresh Breath said:

That of course wouldn't be my goal.  What I meant by not knowing what to do was to gauge whether the public school online "system" which was pretty bad in the Spring will be something I subject our family to in the fall.   I don't think anyone is sending their kids "to purposely infect them" other than may be some nut jobs out there.  But certainly not the vast majority of working parents who are going to be faced with hard choices this fall.  The well off will manage, but others might have no choice if both in person school and work is mandated.  

On the personal level, as I've mentioned (maybe too much) I moved my family last December and my kids have been transitioned from one school to another to then abrupt online edu, with no chance for the social connections that kids thrive on.  I also have one self-motivator but one I'll have to push to do anything who has certainly already fallen behind.  This makes any form of home schooling feel like a threat, and both my wife and I work form home, but it falls more on the wife.   Yet, as you well note, sending them in person puts so much at risk.   And I feel that if I shift them to a private/home school situation, then maybe things clear up by say Spring 2021 (who knows) will I be jostling them yet again? 

I apologize for the disjointed rambling. 

if you send your kid to a school this fall you will be purposely infecting them. There is zero possibility they don't get exposed to the virus in that environment with how horribly this country and state in particular have handled the outbreak. 

I would keep my kid home from school for a year and just have them pick up next year on whatever grade they would have gone into before I sent them to get infected and possibly damage them permanently, and also myself, my wife, and our parents. 

It's sheer insanity if anybody would willingly send their kids to a school next month in this country. 

Edited by Wanker Bob
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, MC Fresh Breath said:

Yes, of course.  But now we can't all hold hands and repeat the "just wait until 2021" mantra.

No, of course not and I apologize if my personal dislike and distrust of the woman who spent millions in her attempts to gut public education in Michigan derailed your post.

It is going to be a difficult school year for all of us. Zero doubt. Some children handle transitions better than others. Each of us know our own children and how they react to that. Mine like a somewhat set schedule, but can cope with transition IF they have an idea that 1.) it is a potential and 2.) that once the daily schedule gets organized, it can be counted upon. My kids are creatures of habit.

The social thing is big for some children, mine are older and with technology, they haven't skipped a beat. Actually, one of them is happier because the mean kids don't have to be dealt with. You might think that is bad (have to learn how to deal with them) but it was seriously giving him heartache. He's been so much happier.

5 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Kids NEED in-person schooling.  There seems to be no doubt that it's helpful to most kids both academically and socially, and losing a large block of it can have serious negative effects, including over the long term.

But beyond the health of the kids themselves, there's the health of the teachers and staff to account for, as well as the families those kids will go home to every day.

It's a complicated fucking problem, with a lot of unbalanced risk-reward calculations along the way.

Well the right call would have been to take the necessary steps needed in order to open schools in the fall over the past five months. But we didn't do that, so unfortunately we can't. 

• Like 4

41 minutes ago, Wanker Bob said:

Anyone who would send their kid to a pandemic factory to purposely infect them I'd an unfit parent and should do time for child endangerment. 

I am generally skeptical of the claimed trade-offs of COVID isolation and believe that those arguing to reopen have not adequately quantified the alleged downsides of quarantining. That said, the decision for parents is much more complicated and must consider risks beyond COVID. The mental health risks of isolation are real. 

My kid is going online in the fall and probably in the spring.  He's not a top-tier academic (at least yet he's not), but he's a solid student who will benefit from a college education.  He wants to play college soccer and appears to have a shot.  I'd rather he NOT contract the virus and suffer long-term lung problems, especially given his athletic goals.  If that makes me a helicopter parent, or nervous, or whatever, so be it.  If he's that far behind when he graduates in 2 years, he can do a year at ACC and then move on to college.  It beats dying or suffering permanent disability.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Grade School kids will get good and fucked up too if they teacher dies from something that was spread in their classroom too. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, BrickHorn said:

I am generally skeptical of the claimed trade-offs of COVID isolation and believe that those arguing to reopen have not adequately quantified the alleged downsides of quarantining. That said, the decision for parents is much more complicated and must consider risks beyond COVID. The mental health risks of isolation are real. 

Isolation is very difficult indeed but these risks are what parents and children have had to deal with through all of human history up until our last couple of generations. We've become extremely spoiled and have been chasing self actualization in Maslow's Hierachy in this society for all our lives. 

Well now that shit is gone. We dropped way to the bottom with this pandemic and now are scrambling to satisfy physiological and safety needs. I'm sure parents and kids during the London Blitzkrieg wanted to go out and play and go to school and pretend everything was safe too. Same for every location in every society that deals with widespread disaster, war, famine, and disease outbreaks. But it's not a luxury to be afforded when mere survival is the front most pressing need and we are smack in it right now in the USA. 

Your kids' isolation issues can be managed and overcome. Their permanent brain/lung/heart damage and/or living with the guilt that their school activities led directly to mom/dad/grandma/grandpa's deaths cannot. 

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Wanker Bob said:

if you send your kid to a school this fall you will be purposely infecting them. There is zero possibility they don't get exposed to the virus in that environment with how horribly this country and state in particular have handled the outbreak. 

I would keep my kid home from school for a year and just have them pick up next year on whatever grade they would have gone into before I sent them to get infected and possibly damage them permanently, and also myself, my wife, and our parents. 

It's sheer insanity if anybody would willingly send their kids to a school next month in this country. 

Do you have elementary or middle school age kids by chance?  

I would keep my kid home from school for a year and just have them pick up next year on whatever grade they would have gone into

You make this sound incredibly easy.  There are studies done showing the years my oldest is in (would start middle school this fall) are some of the most crucial for educational success down the line.  This is the one I already have to work extra hard with on his education.  To make it sound like we could all just skip it and "pick it up" rings of a trite lack of thought  and/or caring.  And there are others out there with learning disabilities who will be even further behind.  No offense, but I'll probably discount whatever else you have to say on the matter.  

if you send your kid to a school this fall you will be purposely infecting them.

Again, you seem to lack empathy for those not in your shoes and big into this statement.    I'm in a State that has overall done well, and the infection rate in my area seems up one day, down the next.  Hard to see a trend, yet. I think its trending badly,  but there's a total of "1" person in the ICU where I live.   Of course I worry about people's health.   Even more so, I would feel horrible validating anything the idiots at the top are trying to cram down our collective throats.  The damage conservatives have done over the years to education while at the same time vocally decrying the horribleness of public schools is infuriating.  And now those already underfunded schools are suppose to handle a pandemic.  Of course, they can't.  

Even with all that, there are other factors at play.   Emotional, financial, and some folks, unlike what you believe, will have no choice.

17 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

I appreciate the post and sympathy, Brisket.  

14 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

My kid is going online in the fall and probably in the spring.  He's not a top-tier academic (at least yet he's not), but he's a solid student who will benefit from a college education.  He wants to play college soccer and appears to have a shot.  I'd rather he NOT contract the virus and suffer long-term lung problems, especially given his athletic goals.  If that makes me a helicopter parent, or nervous, or whatever, so be it.  If he's that far behind when he graduates in 2 years, he can do a year at ACC and then move on to college.  It beats dying or suffering permanent disability.

So far, the rules around here (as of July 1) are:

A: Grades K-5 students would be ALL IN and return to our school campuses full time for in-person instruction with social distancing.
B: Grades 6-12 would be BALANCED, with some time devoted to in-person learning on campus and the other time spent with remote learning with classroom teachers.
C: Students in grades K-12 who are not able to, or would prefer not to, return to campus can stay CONNECTED and continue to receive a robust education through Bend-La Pine Schools Online offerings.

My children fit into categories "A" and "B."  I am of course heavily leaning towards "C" in terms of the public school system.  But also investigating other options with online learning from educators more experienced at it.  The Spring online months were overall a giant waste and a stressful situation. 

Edited by MC Fresh Breath

One issue that I was mulling over is not one that would necessarily affect our family, but for those of you with younger children it might be more likely has to do with staffing at K-12 campuses. I know there are educators on Surly so perhaps they can speak to this more succinctly and correctly.

In our experience, the staff on campuses ranged in demographics based on age and experience. The categories were 1-5 years, 6-10 years, 11-15, and maybe 15 years plus experience. The new teachers were paired with a mentor to show them the ropes. Over the years, our children have had teachers young and old and most were outstanding, but there was a two year period on one campus wherein a LOT of new teachers cycled through. There had been a rezoning, and for some reason (okay, I know the reason--our campus had a large percentage of low SES students and they happened to be minority students and some people cannot seem to handle that) the more experienced teachers with seniority decided to leave. When this happened, it left a knowledge bank for learning the ropes and as a parent of one child who had already been through this campus, I frequently found myself 'teaching the teacher,' when the newly hired  didn't seem to understand that, yes, answering emails sent on Monday by the end of the week is professionally a good idea if you don't want a parent to camp outside your classroom. To be fair, having that much turnover can overwhelm a school and its administration and I wasn't a "Karen" about it, I tend to look at education as a community based effort and if we all pull together then we can actually move the boat. But it was easy to see that losing the senior teachers was a hit to the campus.

And that is my point. If in-person teachers begin to fall ill, then who comprises your substitute group will be very important. In our district, that is mostly retired teachers. Some of them will probably not be likely to return to the classroom if an outbreak is ongoing. Subs can also teach online, but this is going to require just as much patience and understanding as the spring IMO because we don't know what we don't know and what we don't know is how bad is this going to be.

Just like everything with this virus, we have no good choices, just least bad choices.
  • Like 5

18 minutes ago, Wanker Bob said:

Your kids' isolation issues can be managed and overcome.

And you know that how? Each parent has to make a decision based on information particular to their own children as well as data that inform the risk of harm from COVID vs extended social isolation during formative years. You can’t possibly know how different kids are affected by the latter, and your absolutist stance based on some implicit assumption of your own omniscience is stupid fucking bullshit.

On 7/11/2020 at 11:04 AM, HenryJames said:

I read the WaPo article above stemming from the positive findings in the Henry Ford study and the WaPo article ("three major randomized trials" that have found *** is not effective in treating or preventing covid-19) that is embedded with a link in the article.  I generally have a positive regard for WaPo, but the reporting here is garbage in that it lacks critical medical nuance needed to understand essential distinctions in research to date, and additionally STILL incorporates a fake study into the media reporting sausage to shape perception.  jfc.  It's also striking how medical reporting on this in the US is confined to the relative vacuum of US studies.  Internationally, there's over 50 to date with positive findings.  The 14 negative studies mentioned in the 50+ study link have something in common - late intervention/already severe cases.  That's instructive.

And anytime you have big pharma giving any oxygen whatsoever to the drug that will not be named, that tells you all you need to know about whether or not they see it as a viable and legitimate threat to their bottom line.  Like this Gilead press release from 3 days ago .  (You have to get half way through it to spot the talking point against _***).  Not to mention re-splicing data into a 14 day window to capture the favorable spin for their own product.  ignorance and greed stirred with politics is the fucking deadly cocktail people need to be aware of. 

2 hours ago, Wanker Bob said:

Anyone who would send their kid to a pandemic factory to purposely infect them I'd an unfit parent and should do time for child endangerment. Sure the fatality rate for children is very low but we don't know the long term effects of infection and there's already evidence of possibly permanent lung damage in mild or asymptomatic people. 

Evidence of lung damage in children?

1 hour ago, Wanker Bob said:

Isolation is very difficult indeed but these risks are what parents and children have had to deal with through all of human history up until our last couple of generations. We've become extremely spoiled and have been chasing self actualization in Maslow's Hierachy in this society for all our lives. 

Well now that shit is gone. We dropped way to the bottom with this pandemic and now are scrambling to satisfy physiological and safety needs. I'm sure parents and kids during the London Blitzkrieg wanted to go out and play and go to school and pretend everything was safe too. Same for every location in every society that deals with widespread disaster, war, famine, and disease outbreaks. But it's not a luxury to be afforded when mere survival is the front most pressing need and we are smack in it right now in the USA. 

Your kids' isolation issues can be managed and overcome. Their permanent brain/lung/heart damage and/or living with the guilt that their school activities led directly to mom/dad/grandma/grandpa's deaths cannot. 

Jesus you’re back at it again. Comparing Covid to the Battle of Britain? Wtf? 

I’d venture to say here in Texas your kid will be more likely to suffer multi-organ damage from a near drowning incident or some other accident around the house than Covid. 

1 hour ago, MC Fresh Breath said:

Do you have elementary or middle school age kids by chance?  

You make this sound incredibly easy.  There are studies done showing the years my oldest is in (would start middle school this fall) are some of the most crucial for educational success down the line.  This is the one I already have to work extra hard with on his education.  To make it sound like we could all just skip it and "pick it up" rings of a trite lack of thought  and/or caring.  And there are others out there with learning disabilities who will be even further behind.  No offense, but I'll probably discount whatever else you have to say on the matter.  

Again, you seem to lack empathy for those not in your shoes and big into this statement.    I'm in a State that has overall done well, and the infection rate in my area seems up one day, down the next.  Hard to see a trend, yet. I think its trending badly,  but there's a total of "1" person in the ICU where I live.   Of course I worry about people's health.   Even more so, I would feel horrible validating anything the idiots at the top are trying to cram down our collective throats.  The damage conservatives have done over the years to education while at the same time vocally decrying the horribleness of public schools is infuriating.  And now those already underfunded schools are suppose to handle a pandemic.  Of course, they can't.  

Even with all that, there are other factors at play.   Emotional, financial, and some folks, unlike what you believe, will have no choice.

There’s about a million signs that he has no kids, especially young ones. 

In any case, I haven’t been posting much on Covid, so siap. Needs to be looked into further, but an interesting comparison between Sweden and Finland with regard to school policy. 

https://www.folkhalsomyndigheten.se/contentassets/c1b78bffbfde4a7899eb0d8ffdb57b09/covid-19-school-aged-children.pdf

As Brisket said this is no slam dunk either way. If all kids stay home for a year and a half without trying to go back at all then we have an entire generation of kids that will have significant portion of their education that is subpar. What are the effects of that across an entire country? 

And inequality is brought up here often and rightfully so, but going to remote learning for a year and a half is a great way to bake in a little extra advantage for rich kids. Parents can hire in home tutors or co-op with like minded parents of means to home school. Ava and Parker are gonna do just fine. 

• Fuck You 1

52 minutes ago, BrickHorn said:

And you know that how? Each parent has to make a decision based on information particular to their own children as well as data that inform the risk of harm from COVID vs extended social isolation during formative years. You can’t possibly know how different kids are affected by the latter, and your absolutist stance based on some implicit assumption of your own omniscience is stupid fucking bullshit.

I never said they didn't, but it's a fact having to find alternative learning situations for your kids is far better than having to deal with their death/permanent damage from viral infection/death of their parents/grandparents. To argue otherwise is pure insanity and not even worth entertaining. 

For my step daughter we're entertaining this for the upcoming school year:

https://www.iuniversityprep.org/

We know a couple of kids who went this route because of behavioral issues and heard good things about it. At least it's a concept that has experience with virtual learning and should be better than a makeshift one thrown together by ISD's that have zero experience other than what they were forced into 5 months ago. 

3 minutes ago, Wanker Bob said:

I never said they didn't, but it's a fact having to find alternative learning situations for your kids is far better than having to deal with their death/permanent damage from viral infection/death of their parents/grandparents. To argue otherwise is pure insanity and not even worth entertaining. 

You are missing a huge risk of social isolation.

Edited by BrickHorn
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, 4th&Five said:

anyone thinking schools won't all be shut down again by the end of september is being naive.

Obviously this will vary by locality, but yes. Several schools in TX and FL that will open next month, will inevitably close as kids and teachers get sick. Some will ultimately die. 

7 minutes ago, GRHorn said:

Evidence of lung damage in children?

Jesus you’re back at it again. Comparing Covid to the Battle of Britain? Wtf? 

I’d venture to say here in Texas your kid will be more likely to suffer multi-organ damage from a near drowning incident or some other accident around the house than Covid. 

There’s about a million signs that he has no kids, especially young ones. 

In any case, I haven’t been posting much on Covid, so siap. Needs to be looked into further, but an interesting comparison between Sweden and Finland with regard to school policy. 

https://www.folkhalsomyndigheten.se/contentassets/c1b78bffbfde4a7899eb0d8ffdb57b09/covid-19-school-aged-children.pdf

As Brisket said this is no slam dunk either way. If all kids stay home for a year and a half without trying to go back at all then we have an entire generation of kids that will have significant portion of their education that is subpar. What are the effects of that across an entire country? 

And inequality is brought up here often and rightfully so, but going to remote learning for a year and a half is a great way to bake in a little extra advantage for rich kids. Parents can hire in home tutors or co-op with like minded parents of means to home school. Ava and Parker are gonna do just fine. 

Point is we don't know the long term effects yet. There's evidence of heart issues in children from it but nothing concrete as children aren't the focal point of medical study and resources at the moment. So no one knows how this could effect them long term. Also, their physical health is only part of the problem with sending them back to school en masse. 

In a risk vs reward evaluation I just don't see how it's a risk worth taking. 

3 minutes ago, Wanker Bob said:

For my step daughter we're entertaining this for the upcoming school year:

https://www.iuniversityprep.org/

We know a couple of kids who went this route because of behavioral issues and heard good things about it. At least it's a concept that has experience with virtual learning and should be better than a makeshift one thrown together by ISD's that have zero experience other than what they were forced into 5 months ago. 

My middle-school aged daughter went this route when she was doing a lot of musical theater that required essentially a full time schedule of rehearsals, perfomance, auditions, work, etc. What I can say was that it's as good as public school classroom teaching academically (and in some ways better) IF your kid is focused and schedules their time effectively or you are prepared to manage schoolwork. Otherwise it's not. 
But again - she was getting socialization and a lot of enrichment elsewhere. In this situation yours wouldn't get that. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

My middle-school aged daughter went this route when she was doing a lot of musical theater that required essentially a full time schedule of rehearsals, perfomance, auditions, work, etc. What I can say was that it's as good as public school classroom teaching academically (and in some ways better) IF your kid is focused and schedules their time effectively or you are prepared to manage schoolwork. Otherwise it's not. 
But again - she was getting socialization and a lot of enrichment elsewhere. In this situation yours wouldn't get that. 

Yeah, but how much socialization and enrichment is going to happen in an on-again, off-again in-class situation?

Obviously, we can't predict the future, and I don't want to sound like a know it all.  I am just extremely skeptical that any in-class education this fall will be consistent or productive, and will be socially inept to boot.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

Thanks for the info. There's no way to get the equivalent of a normal year. Just can't happen no matter what you do. We've been about mitigating risk so far and have set up small socialization groups periodically since March for both the girl and my wife. Other than one night of partying where my wife cracked we've been pretty good at managing this with risk mitigation. 

We would just continue to do so with this new virtual learning situation mixed in. It's not easy but right now is a time for sacrifice and perseverance. We're making sure the child understands this is needed at times in life but shall pass and we will be stronger for it. We have a very unique situation I don't wish to delved into online but so far it's worked out as well as can be expected and we got lucky my wife didn't get infected during her night of clubbing. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Yeah, but how much socialization and enrichment is going to happen in an on-again, off-again in-class situation?

Obviously, we can't predict the future, and I don't want to sound like a know it all.  I am just extremely skeptical that any in-class education this fall will be consistent or productive, and will be socially inept to boot.

Completely agree. 

7 minutes ago, Wanker Bob said:

We have a very unique situation I don't wish to delved into online but so far it's worked out as well as can be expected and we got lucky my wife didn't get infected during her night of clubbing. 

too easy

Edited by Bozo_Casanova

Take a look at this. Neighboring counties adopting wholly opposite positions vis-a-vis opening schools.

Los Angeles County - Schools closed. Remote learning only.

Orange County - LOL. Schools Open. No distancing. No masks (not supported by science.)

Politics, man.

1 hour ago, 4th&Five said:

anyone thinking schools won't all be shut down again by the end of september is being naive.

It's 1915 on the Western Front, and we've still got all this Horse Cavalry. There must be some way to use it.

I expect this Industrial-Age mass schooling to break down, and we revert back to what came before. The rich kids get tutors for Greek, fencing, and horseback riding. The poor learn to lay bricks and study furiously by mail (online) at night.

• Like 1

Here, they're dividing our neighborhood middle school into 2 cohorts - a Mon/Tu group and Th/Fri for in-school classwork.  The other 3 days are online.  The goal is to physically spread out the kids with half as many there per day while maintaining the social/face to face teaching/school experience.  They'll scrub the school down each weekend and every Wed to keep the two cohorts separate from an infection control standpoint.  The first two weeks of school will be 100% online, and it's clear that reverting to100% online is the fall back if it blows up.  They also readily acknowledge it could blow up before school starts and just go 100% online.  The initial 2 week 100% online sets initial expectations and we'll see where we are in September.

Edited by triplehorn
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, BrickHorn said:

Are you really questioning someone named Wanker Bob?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

#IStandWithFauci is trending upward on twitter. Maybe there is hope for science after all.

I have to be honest with you.  I use tweetdeck sporadically to get some info about various subjects (non-political usually).  I also enjoy the convenience of tweets posted that often express what I wish I could say--plenty of funny, articulate folks out there.   So I feel a bit hypocritical when I say this, but I don't trust much in the way of trends on that platform because I would be hard pressed to tell you how many unigue, non-bot, honest individuals there are out there.

22 minutes ago, triplehorn said:

Here, they're dividing our neighborhood middle school into 2 cohorts - a Mon/Tu group and Th/Fri for in-school classwork.  The other 3 days are online.  The goal is to physically spread out the kids with half as many there per day while maintaining the social/face to face teaching/school experience.  They'll scrub the school down each weekend and every Wed to keep the two cohorts separate from an infection control standpoint.  The first two weeks of school will be 100% online, and it's clear that reverting to100% online is the fall back if it blows up.  They also readily acknowledge it could blow up before school starts and just go 100% online.  The initial 2 week 100% online sets initial expectations and we'll see where we are in September.

Oakland Unified is going 100% distance learning for the 1st month then switching to blended learning. 

8 hours ago, Queen Bitch said:

He’d also have won re-election in a landslide.

Yep. Trump was well on his way to easily losing when the Coronavirus hit. If he had handled it correctly, which of course he is not capable of doing, he wins re-election despite his obvious incompetence and fuck ups.

Instead because he is such a fucking idiot he completely borks the response and now his defeat is assured. Because everyone, including the olds facing death, are forced to see how incompetent he really is.

4D chess.

27 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

Are you really questioning someone named Wanker Bob?

As a kid outside London there was a chap who was a giant pain in the ass named Robert Willingham. A little wannabe bully in our neighborhood we nicknamed "Wanker Bob".

Seemed fitting for this instance. 

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, triplehorn said:

My wife's charter in Philly is doing almost exactly this, only difference is they're diving right in with no on-line warmup. It's a decent plan, and more than half their parents are down with it at the moment. Still a few weeks away, but we think the skepticism is going to build as the date gets closer. Especially if data continues to indicate the kids can spread the virus pretty easily.

13 minutes ago, Bartles said:

My wife's charter in Philly is doing almost exactly this, only difference is they're diving right in with no on-line warmup. It's a decent plan, and more than half their parents are down with it at the moment. Still a few weeks away, but we think the skepticism is going to build as the date gets closer. Especially if data continues to indicate the kids can spread the virus pretty easily.

Why aren't the spaced class advocates going 6 or 7 days a week?  Seems ludicrous to write off Saturday and Sunday.  Yeah, the Xians might push back on Sunday, the Jews on Saturday, and god knows where the KKK and BLM will fall, but I would think it would help to at least open up for 6 days instead of 5.  

Should have made it an 8 day week.  Whatever idiot came up with 7 (nice prime number) really screwed it for the rest of us.  Oh hi, moon.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Foosters said:

Take a look at this. Neighboring counties adopting wholly opposite positions vis-a-vis opening schools.

Los Angeles County - Schools closed. Remote learning only.

Orange County - LOL. Schools Open. No distancing. No masks (not supported by science.)

Politics, man.

Which part is not supported by science? The no masks at school or attending in person at all?

I linked a joint study above by the Swedish and Finnish Public Health Agencies that suggest there’s not necessarily any improvement with keeping primary schools closed, according to a couple benchmarks. 

• Fuck You 1

6 minutes ago, GRHorn said:

Which part is not supported by science? The no masks at school or attending in person at all?

I linked a joint study above by the Swedish and Finnish Public Health Agencies that suggest there’s not necessarily any improvement with keeping primary schools closed, according to a couple benchmarks. 

They specifically reference mask wearing as having no scientific basis.

Coronavirus is probably going to go permanent in America.

Let me put it to you as simply as I can. Trump doesn’t have a plan to beat the virus. He never did. He’s been encouraging his Idiot Army to spread it. He’s on the side of the pandemic. He’s not about to have a plan. But…

You can’t beat Coronavirus without a national strategy or plan. Sorry, can’t be done. The examples we have from around the globe show us that very, very clearly. Sweden — no plan. Bang! Done. Vietnam — poor country. Plan. Wham! Virus beaten. See the lesson?

https://eand.co/coronavirus-is-going-to-go-permanent-in-america-62c3c248a683

Like most things GOP, shit results are more easily explained as less negligence and more sabotage. Simple stupidity in a wave shadow of evidence is not the most likely of explanations.

• Like 1