CR: COVID-19 --Political Talk

Mrs Whiggins

1 minute ago, JimmyJames said:

Yeah I’ll agree that if Trump or Biden croak before the election the bets off. I did think about the party discrepancy but I agree its better to be clear. Its trump v. Biden. If neither one is around then, no bet. 

OK with you? 

Yep, ok with me. 

And to be clear, I think you have upper hand as the Trump campaign flies itself into the mountain.  Biden coviding out seems like the most likely out. 

Edited by Anastasis
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

Yep, ok with me. 

And to be clear, I think you have upper hand as the Trump campaign flies itself into the mountain.  Biden coviding out seems like the most likely out. 

I have the upper hand now based simply on the odds, but it’s still not a sure thing either way.

Early intervention, North America-based, HCQ RCT, writing on the wall for a while, finally hits the press. But what about the unknowable granularity of clinical decision making?

https://www.acpjournals.org/doi/10.7326/M20-4207

EdEY-74XoAADC8W?format=png&name=medium

Abstract

Background:

No effective oral therapy exists for early coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19).

Objective:

To investigate whether hydroxychloroquine could reduce COVID-19 severity in adult outpatients.

Design:

Randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial conducted from 22 March through 20 May 2020. (ClinicalTrials.gov: NCT04308668)

Setting:

Internet-based trial across the United States and Canada (40 states and 3 provinces).

Participants:

Symptomatic, nonhospitalized adults with laboratory-confirmed COVID-19 or probable COVID-19 and high-risk exposure within 4 days of symptom onset.

Intervention:

Oral hydroxychloroquine (800 mg once, followed by 600 mg in 6 to 8 hours, then 600 mg daily for 4 more days) or masked placebo.

Measures: Symptoms and severity at baseline and then at days 3, 5, 10, and 14 using a 10-point visual analogue scale. The primary end point was change in overall symptom severity over 14 days.

Results:

Of 491 patients randomly assigned to a group, 423 contributed primary end point data. Of these, 341 (81%) had laboratory-confirmed infection with severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2) or epidemiologically linked exposure to a person with laboratory-confirmed infection; 56% (236 of 423) were enrolled within 1 day of symptoms starting. Change in symptom severity over 14 days did not differ between the hydroxychloroquine and placebo groups (difference in symptom severity: relative, 12%; absolute, −0.27 points [95% CI, −0.61 to 0.07 points]; P = 0.117). At 14 days, 24% (49 of 201) of participants receiving hydroxychloroquine had ongoing symptoms compared with 30% (59 of 194) receiving placebo (P = 0.21). Medication adverse effects occurred in 43% (92 of 212) of participants receiving hydroxychloroquine versus 22% (46 of 211) receiving placebo (P < 0.001). With placebo, 10 hospitalizations occurred (2 non–COVID-19–related), including 1 hospitalized death. With hydroxychloroquine, 4 hospitalizations occurred plus 1 nonhospitalized death (P = 0.29).

Limitations:

Only 58% of participants received SARS-CoV-2 testing because of severe U.S. testing shortages.

Conclusion:

Hydroxychloroquine did not substantially reduce symptom severity in outpatients with early, mild COVID-19.

46 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Jeez . . . the "RIP" clip art is a little harsh.

Agree.  But you are dealing with a bunch of academics.  They don't have a corporate communications review board with a bunch of graphic artists sitting behind them. The headstone gets the message across. 

Edited by Anastasis

Anecdotal, but during a friend group conversation I'd heard of one family that returned from Colorado after visiting relatives. This particular family had been fairly proactive with sheltering and mask usage, but during their stay there the topic of Texans bringing the virus to Colorado came up, and they reported (to us) that there is some resentment brewing as some folks want/need the tourist dollars, but at the same time do not want mini outbreaks in their community.

That was on my mind when I saw this:

Tulsa County Commissioner Karen Keith tests positive for COVID-19 after road trip

Keith said she believes she contracted the virus at a convenience store in the Texas Panhandle “where no one was wearing masks” while on a road trip, according to the post.

Link to article:https://tulsaworld.com/news/local/tulsa-county-commissioner-karen-keith-tests-positive-for-covid-19-after-road-trip/article_c219145b-b4b8-51eb-8082-0818d1ff7505.html

Doubt she and her husband (also ill) drove from the Texas panhandle back to Tulsa w/o stopping, so did she contact any place she stopped in between?

Chuck Woolery is such a little bitch.

"The most outrageous lies are the ones about Covid 19. Everyone is lying. The CDC, Media, Democrats, our Doctors, not all but most, that we are told to trust. I think it's all about the election and keeping the economy from coming back, which is about the election. I'm sick of it."

Also Chuck Woolery:

"I never said Covid was a hoax, but it was the only way people could really twist and use it against me. There's nowhere I used 'hoax' or 'it's not real' or anything like that. I just said we've been lied to."

Here's the thing, Chuck: You only get 280 characters to say what you mean.  If you need more than that, you have to further elaborate in your next tweet and the one after that, like  1/2  or 2/4  or 3/4  or 4/4 or whatever.  You don't get to say that "everyone is lying" ----- including doctors ------ then later come back and say "I didn't say it's a hoax."   That's bullshit semantics.  FUCK YOU you simpering little assmunch. 

And I love that Chuck "is not gone. He is just taking a break from the abuse he has received from thousands of intolerant people who purposefully mislead people on his statement, including the media."   Yes. Damn whatever media claimed that you said it was a hoax when what you in fact said was that "everyone is lying."  

https://www.cnn.com/2020/07/16/us/chuck-woolery-son-covid-19/index.html

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Horn Under a Bad Sign said:

Chuck Woolery is such a little bitch.

"The most outrageous lies are the ones about Covid 19. Everyone is lying. The CDC, Media, Democrats, our Doctors, not all but most, that we are told to trust. I think it's all about the election and keeping the economy from coming back, which is about the election. I'm sick of it."

Also Chuck Woolery:

"I never said Covid was a hoax, but it was the only way people could really twist and use it against me. There's nowhere I used 'hoax' or 'it's not real' or anything like that. I just said we've been lied to."

Here's the thing, Chuck: You only get 280 characters to say what you mean.  If you need more than that, you have to further elaborate in your next tweet and the one after that, like  1/2  or 2/4  or 3/4  or 4/4 or whatever.  You don't get to say that "everyone is lying" ----- including doctors ------ then later come back and say "I didn't say it's a hoax."   That's bullshit semantics.  FUCK YOU you simpering little assmunch. 

And I love that Chuck "is not gone. He is just taking a break from the abuse he has received from thousands of intolerant people who purposefully mislead people on his statement, including the media."   Yes. Damn whatever media claimed that you said it was a hoax when what you in fact said was that "everyone is lying."  

https://www.cnn.com/2020/07/16/us/chuck-woolery-son-covid-19/index.html

He was just joking.  No big deal.

Supposedly all things Covid aren't restricted by the NYTimes paywall, so I'll just post the link here. They've got a story about mask usage and a kick-ass interactive map based on a 250,000 person survey showing prevalence down to small geographic levels.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/07/17/upshot/coronavirus-face-mask-map.html?action=click&module=Top Stories&pgtype=Homepage

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

Anecdotal, but during a friend group conversation I'd heard of one family that returned from Colorado after visiting relatives. This particular family had been fairly proactive with sheltering and mask usage, but during their stay there the topic of Texans bringing the virus to Colorado came up, and they reported (to us) that there is some resentment brewing as some folks want/need the tourist dollars, but at the same time do not want mini outbreaks in their community.

Doubt she and her husband (also ill) drove from the Texas panhandle back to Tulsa w/o stopping, so did she contact any place she stopped in between?

I live in a popular tourist area and that same need the money/fear the tourist dynamic is an interesting thing to watch.  My problem with the "all the tourists are bringing it here now" mob is that a good, large amount of the local populace was just as bad as anywhere else--refusing to wear masks, taking whole families grocery shopping with no masks on, e.t.c.   Sure, its the tourists bringing it, not the neighbors on NextDoor who sued to go to Church and want Kate Brown recalled for violating their rights. Oh, and they can't wait to say it was all the BLM protests as well.

Edited by MC Fresh Breath

2 minutes ago, MC Fresh Breath said:

I live in a popular tourist area and that same need the money/fear the tourist dynamic is an interesting thing to watch.  My only problem with the "all the tourists are bringing it here now" mob is that a good, large amount of the local populace was just as bad as anywhere else--refusing to wear masks, taking whole families grocery shopping with no masks on, e.t.c.   Sure, its the tourists bringing it, not the neighbors on NextDoor who sued to go to Church and want Kate Brown recalled for violating their rights.

I used to have relatives in Colorado up until recently, and I can see that happening. They were an interesting mix of a decent education but very little actual thinking.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

I used to have relatives in Colorado up until recently, and I can see that happening. They were an interesting mix of a decent education but very little actual thinking.

Yeah, sorry, I was mainly looking for an excuse to rant.  The area has a "Be Nice, You're in Oregon" or "Be Nice, You're in Bend" thing going on.  Yesterday, my wife was in line with our kids further out of line, all with masks on.  Wife picking up the kids some things to go.  An older Karen said "those look like beautiful kids, I wouldn't cover up their gorgeous faces with masks."  My wife has much more control of her temper than I do with things like that as I would have immediately became "that Asshole from Texas" and fast and the whole "Be Nice" thing would have taken a hit.

Edit: and I promise you, that lady was a local, not a damned tourist.

Edited by MC Fresh Breath

Rant away, seems like the internet is a good place to let off steam. You'll laugh, but those relatives that I mentioned that didn't think a whole lot? They moved to Florida.

Not exactly sorry that they were distant relatives that are now literally more distant.

• Like 1

On 7/14/2020 at 4:24 PM, kevwun said:

A few people have tested positive at work in different departments.  There has been no official communications on who it was or even what dept they were in.  No attempts at contract tracing and no cleaning.  I have never seen anything like this and have no idea what I should do about it.  Moral is in the crapper as you can imagine over the complete lack of communication.

We had a few scares in my department, we've had a number of infections company wide (we're in Texas, Cali, Washington, NYC, Chicago, NJ, etc) and a couple of deaths.
Couple of weeks ago they told us to not discuss anything about Covid scares, testing, infection with anyone else in the company. Yeah, good luck. Thankfully I work from the house, most of us do now, so I don't have to worry about the cleaning part.

28 minutes ago, MC Fresh Breath said:

I'm the oldest of six kids.  My next youngest brother has lived in Florida for decades.  He's in a town outside of Miami now, and while slightly left leaning politically, he otherwise fits right in with our stereotypes of Florida Man and this virus.

Florida Man does not necessarily start in Florida, but, driven by instinct, he will find his way there, migrating in teeming herds, flying non-stop across the Gulf, leaping up the rapids of pristine Florida mountain streams.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

This has me worried as I'm planning on making a trip out to west Texas next week. I'm pro-mask and use hand sanitizer all the time but I still have that fear in the back of my mind that the virus can linger in the outdoor air. I absolutely need to get away from my current situation but I also don't want to put myself in harms way. Is it enough to stay away from most people on this trip?

5 minutes ago, HRSchenker said:

This has me worried as I'm planning on making a trip out to west Texas next week. I'm pro-mask and use hand sanitizer all the time but I still have that fear in the back of my mind that the virus can linger in the outdoor air. I absolutely need to get away from my current situation but I also don't want to put myself in harms way. Is it enough to stay away from most people on this trip?

In the article, the commish mentions that where she was no one was wearing any masks, so I guess it would be a risk. It is everywhere now, certainly any places along any supply chain. The article didn't say where she was exactly so let's say they were passing through Amarillo--that city has been hit harder with community spread, so odds increase. But if you stopped in a little town somewhere else, then maybe not so much? You can always dial down on the DHS dashboard and look for potential trouble spots if that would help you.

Fun Stats Friday

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_military_casualties_of_war#cite_note-Michael_A_Palmer_1987_pg_119,_208-4

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/us/

According to Worldmeters, US currently has 141,562 deaths from Covid-19, which ranks 3rd All-Time in US combat casualties of war for all wars. 

US Combat Casualties by War

1. WW1 - 291,557

2. Civil War (US+Confed) -  214,938

3. Covid-19 - 141,562

4. Civil War (US) - 140,414

5. Civil War (Confederate) - 94,000

6. WW1 - 53,402

7. Vietnam War - 47,424

Upcoming Milestones: 

All US war combat casualties excluding Civil War & WW2: 167,413

All US war combat casualties excluding WW2: 401,827

All US war combat casualties: 693,384

18 minutes ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

In the article, the commish mentions that where she was no one was wearing any masks, so I guess it would be a risk. It is everywhere now, certainly any places along any supply chain. The article didn't say where she was exactly so let's say they were passing through Amarillo--that city has been hit harder with community spread, so odds increase. But if you stopped in a little town somewhere else, then maybe not so much? You can always dial down on the DHS dashboard and look for potential trouble spots if that would help you.

Just found out 3 extended family relatives tested positive in Canyon (small town outside of Amarillo), 2 in 20’s and one 60y/o.  Self quarantine?  Nope.  The two young ones already went to hang with other family in Aledo.  With that kind of continued mobile indifference, no place will be spared.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Bama Chick said:

My sister in law has 4 kids under the age of 9. They are now at home, all day, everyday, getting on her nerves and driving her up the wall. She was so happy all 4 of her children were in school full-time this year. The school they go to only has a few number of slots to sign up students for in person teaching this year. She was there on day one to sign up and get those kids out of her hair.

She thinks this ad is nothing but leftist propaganda and she’ll take the risk just so she can get some fucking peace and quiet back in her house.