CR: COVID-19 --Political Talk

Mrs Whiggins

4 hours ago, HRSchenker said:

This has me worried as I'm planning on making a trip out to west Texas next week. I'm pro-mask and use hand sanitizer all the time but I still have that fear in the back of my mind that the virus can linger in the outdoor air. I absolutely need to get away from my current situation but I also don't want to put myself in harms way. Is it enough to stay away from most people on this trip?

I was out in West Texas last week, mostly Marfa and Alpine. Where you going?

10 minutes ago, Bama Chick said:

Sorry your sister in law is selfish.

I feel sorry for those kids having a mother like that. They are dying to go back to school just to get away from her. No pun intended, but who knows at this point. 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, MrBig said:

My sister in law has 4 kids under the age of 9. They are now at home, all day, everyday, getting on her nerves and driving her up the wall. She was so happy all 4 of her children were in school full-time this year. The school they go to only has a few number of slots to sign up students for in person teaching this year. She was there on day one to sign up and get those kids out of her hair.

She thinks this ad is nothing but leftist propaganda and she’ll take the risk just so she can get some fucking peace and quiet back in her house. 

Had a lady on the SM News FB group who posted something like, "In person school is necessary, because when schools closed in the spring and went online, both of my children just checked out and didn't do any of their work.  They need a teacher to get them engaged and  to motivate them to do their work."  People were remarkably nice to her about that.

1 hour ago, Beau Vine said:

Had a lady on the SM News FB group who posted something like, "In person school is necessary, because when schools closed in the spring and went online, both of my children just checked out and didn't do any of their work.  They need a teacher to get them engaged and  to motivate them to do their work."  People were remarkably nice to her about that.

My sister in law is a stay at home mother who has no job other than caring for the kids. She and a lot of parents don’t have any teaching credentials, but they all have parental authority to make their children sit down and do online schoolwork. I get it, I’ve taken online classes before and it’s a drag to do it on your own, but if my mother or father was breathing down my neck to get it done, I would be a lot more motivated to do it or face the consequences of not following their rules.

2 hours ago, BradInATX said:

I'm pretty sure Pop would win the presidency fairly easily if he ran. Legitimately. Although he looks like he's more interested in drinking wine and listening to Willie these days.

I confess that I would surely take the same career path if I had the same choice.

5 minutes ago, Zepol87 said:

Not UT specific but my great grandfather who brought my family to Texas in 1931 was a janitor at Abilene High for 47 years and always said he enjoyed helping create a clean place for kids and his family to learn. These folks don't get treated right at all

There is no more essential worker than the janitor. That's not a fucking exaggeration. Who else is going to get down in the trash can to haul off the monthly deposit of manhole covers?

Vomit in the hall? I got some stuff for that.

There is no one closer to the contagion than the men and women that clean up. 

He might have been there same time as my mom. 

• Like 6

My sister in law has 4 kids under the age of 9. They are now at home, all day, everyday, getting on her nerves and driving her up the wall. She was so happy all 4 of her children were in school full-time this year. The school they go to only has a few number of slots to sign up students for in person teaching this year. She was there on day one to sign up and get those kids out of her hair.
She thinks this ad is nothing but leftist propaganda and she’ll take the risk just so she can get some fucking peace and quiet back in her house. 
Maybe should have less fucking kids. I thought that's why people cranked 4 out.

I'm not stoked about the situation but I'm going to make the most out of it and enjoy doing school projects with my 1 kid
  • Like 4

Denver Public Schools decides to slowdown its ambitious opening plan. Disproportionate effects from virus. All remote learning to begin school year. Smart but you have to implement an effective plan. Colorado getting ready for the second wave just breaking on the horizon. All masks when in public from the Governor Polis. You can't open when the wave is breaking. 

https://www.dpsk12.org/important-update-on-our-return-to-school-july-17-2020/

Dear DPS Community,

Leading with equity means a continued commitment to monitoring our plans and adjusting them to address the needs and safety of our students, families and staff — particularly our students, families and educators of color. We know that based on our surveys and the current rates of COVID-19, communities of color have been more heavily impacted. . . . 

On Thursday . . .DPS leaders . . met with local health experts from Denver Health to discuss the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic in our community. These health experts shared the most updated modeling they have done on the rates of COVID-19 in Denver. Based on this new data and guidance, we believe it is prudent to delay returning to school in person. DPS will begin the 2020-21 school year with remote learning, with a delayed first day of remote school on Aug. 24 . . .

. . . We are all in this together. And doing what’s best for the health and well-being of our students and team members will take a team effort. Please, wear a mask whenever you are outside your home and practice safe, social distancing measures. We are anxious to get our kids back in school and we can all do our part to drive down the spread of the virus. Thank you for your understanding and flexibility as we continue to navigate through these difficult times.

Warm regards,
Susana

https://www.dpsk12.org/about/dps-leadership/ - Susan Cordova, Superintendent of Schools, Denver. 

We need smart and adaptable education solutions to bear fruit. I hope Denver has answers.

2 hours ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Who's surprised?

the rebels want them to do this with data. they want to lie. so you see once you honestly appreciate that then there is no "wow". the article not you homeslice

35 mins past friday. no nukes that imma aware of. congrats friends. 

Edited by staboner

There is no more essential worker than the janitor. That's not a fucking exaggeration. Who else is going to get down in the trash can to haul off the monthly deposit of manhole covers?

Seriously, these people were already understaffed at my school. They did the best they could, but still had to let a lot go undone each night (think vacuuming rooms every 3rd night). I dont know how they're supposed to disinfect every classroom, every night.
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, tchookem said:
2 hours ago, cactusflinthead said:

Read more  

Seriously, these people were already understaffed at my school. They did the best they could, but still had to let a lot go undone each night (think vacuuming rooms every 3rd night). I dont know how they're supposed to disinfect every classroom, every night.

I don't want to post what we pay at the university. It's shameful. It's not glamorous. It generally sucks. You are hauling trash. You mop floors. You clean up the crap. Literally. You have a bad burrito. Some sorry sumbitch gets to clean up the aftermath. Odds are good that they don't have insurance. Maybe they have the right gear or something close to it. Odds are good that they don't. 

And that's the front line in every school, office, and building in the entire country. 

About goddamn time they get some hazard pay. They are at least as essential as any other job description and get paid nothing. 

Why can't we get help?

Well, how much are you paying them?

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Beau Vine said:

My oldest was brilliant about his online school, got up early and got after it by 6:30 every morning.  First couple of days I noticed the young'un was slacking and taking advantage of the no real start time.  Let's just say some strong parenting convinced her that she would be engaged on time every day.  After a couple of days of strict discipline; no problems.

My two kids fucking rule and that's why they gone go pro.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, cactusflinthead said:

I don't want to post what we pay at the university. It's shameful. It's not glamorous. It generally sucks. You are hauling trash. You mop floors. You clean up the crap. Literally. You have a bad burrito. Some sorry sumbitch gets to clean up the aftermath. Odds are good that they don't have insurance. Maybe they have the right gear or something close to it. Odds are good that they don't. 

And that's the front line in every school, office, and building in the entire country. 

About goddamn time they get some hazard pay. They are at least as essential as any other job description and get paid nothing. 

Why can't we get help?

Well, how much are you paying them?

Sidebar: I noticed when many public institutions decided to outsource to private companies that some consequences of that were:

Oh sure, taxpayers were now off your back about "muh taxes," but some (not all) of the low bid winners for the contract were large companies with horrible wages. The institutions that had let go large swaths of employees could now rewelcome these same employees (as the company hired them) and *poof* look at how we saved money by not paying bennies and living wages! Meanwhile, the contractor who is a solid employer who pays for a decent standard of living will seldom win the contract and if he/she does, the taxpayers will shriek.

With the accountability now shifted to a private entity, for those served by the whomever, the flowchart loop of fail began:

Joe Public: "I have a complaint about 'X.'

Institution: "Oh! You need to complain to Private Company, that is who performs that service."

Joe Public to Private Company awarded the contract: " I have a complaint about X."

Private Company: "We are following the terms of the contract. You need to take it up with Public Institution."

Not everything goes that way, but it does often enough, that my lip sneer is becoming a feature not a bug. Always always, it is the front line employees who take the brunt but the $300,000 dollar suit in the outer office who went to school with the son of (insert higher up decision maker here) and can't manage to answer emails or zip his fly never takes a salary cut. It may be the way of the world, but the world sucks when we treat those essential workers as "lesser than."

• Like 2

17 hours ago, BradInATX said:

I'm pretty sure Pop would win the presidency fairly easily if he ran. Legitimately. Although he looks like he's more interested in drinking wine and listening to Willie these days.

I think those qualities would make for a fine administration.

• Like 1

On 7/17/2020 at 4:17 PM, Fudge Nuggets said:

I assume there are some restricted stock options still outstanding as the reason she hasn’t filed for divorce and taken half his shit?

unless she is a complete garbage pile of a human being who provides no positive value whatsoever to the planet just like him, and they are made for each other, I suppose? 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

She is not as good as Sarah Cooper, but she's improving her technique.

Unpopular opinion here. I don’t find the Sarah Cooper lip-sinking trump thing as funny as everyone else does. I get a chuckle every now and then but I just don’t find it all that funny. Idk. Probably a me thing 

• Like 4

Fun Stats Friday
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_military_casualties_of_war#cite_note-Michael_A_Palmer_1987_pg_119,_208-4
https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/us/
According to Worldmeters, US currently has 141,562 deaths from Covid-19, which ranks 3rd All-Time in US combat casualties of war for all wars. 
US Combat Casualties by War
1. WW1 - 291,557
2. Civil War (US+Confed) -  214,938
3. Covid-19 - 141,562
4. Civil War (US) - 140,414
5. Civil War (Confederate) - 94,000
6. WW1 - 53,402
7. Vietnam War - 47,424
Upcoming Milestones: 
All US war combat casualties excluding Civil War & WW2: 167,413
All US war combat casualties excluding WW2: 401,827
All US war combat casualties: 693,384

Smoking related deaths in the US are 484,000 PER YEAR for additional perspective.

https://www.cdc.gov/tobacco/data_statistics/fact_sheets/fast_facts/index.htm

4 hours ago, Firemans4Horn said:

Not a stretch to see Nov. 3 roll around without a single college football snap taken. I'm cynical AF, but even I struggle with the notion of how easily he will win: AL, LA, OK, SC and most likely also GA, OH, TX (who knows about FL). And the blame really will fall on this one asshole's incompetence. COVID testing denial/suppression IMO is the worst of all the horrible things he's done

• Like 4