CR: COVID-19 --Political Talk

Mrs Whiggins

The really ugly truth, and the really ugly reality, is that people who continue to support trump, are saying this:

Hundreds of thousands of Americans will die unnecessarily. And we support that because we want trump to win re-election.

It’s as simple as that. These people, your friends and relatives, my friends and relatives, are evil. They just are. 

• Like 7

3 hours ago, Fletch said:

Unpopular opinion here. I don’t find the Sarah Cooper lip-sinking trump thing as funny as everyone else does. I get a chuckle every now and then but I just don’t find it all that funny. Idk. Probably a me thing 

Well most of us aren’t the stars of one of the funniest fucking movies of all time. It’s all ball bearings these days about perspective I suppose. 

Edited by Planet Houston

39 minutes ago, JimmyJames said:

The really ugly truth, and the really ugly reality, is that people who continue to support trump, are saying this:

Hundreds of thousands of Americans will die unnecessarily. And we support that because we want trump to win re-election.

It’s as simple as that. These people, your friends and relatives, my friends and relatives, are evil. They just are. 

Yeah but a lot of those deaths only count as 60% of a death so the numbers aren’t so bad you see?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Planet Houston said:

Yeah but a lot of those deaths only count as 60% of a death so the numbers aren’t so bad you see?

It really is amazing the lengths that the trumpkins will take to excuse everyone on this. Just so dear leader might get re-elected.

We are talking about potentially the same number of deaths that occurred in the civil war. Hopefully it won’t ever reach that point, but the trumpkins are like, its “like the flu.”

They are at this point a death cult willing to excuse anything to get dear leader re-elected. 

Which means motive is not relevant, they are simply evil. 

18 hours ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

Sidebar: I noticed when many public institutions decided to outsource to private companies that some consequences of that were:

Oh sure, taxpayers were now off your back about "muh taxes," but some (not all) of the low bid winners for the contract were large companies with horrible wages. The institutions that had let go large swaths of employees could now rewelcome these same employees (as the company hired them) and *poof* look at how we saved money by not paying bennies and living wages! Meanwhile, the contractor who is a solid employer who pays for a decent standard of living will seldom win the contract and if he/she does, the taxpayers will shriek.

With the accountability now shifted to a private entity, for those served by the whomever, the flowchart loop of fail began:

Joe Public: "I have a complaint about 'X.'

Institution: "Oh! You need to complain to Private Company, that is who performs that service."

Joe Public to Private Company awarded the contract: " I have a complaint about X."

Private Company: "We are following the terms of the contract. You need to take it up with Public Institution."

Not everything goes that way, but it does often enough, that my lip sneer is becoming a feature not a bug. Always always, it is the front line employees who take the brunt but the $300,000 dollar suit in the outer office who went to school with the son of (insert higher up decision maker here) and can't manage to answer emails or zip his fly never takes a salary cut. It may be the way of the world, but the world sucks when we treat those essential workers as "lesser than."

Neoliberalism (our economic system since the 1970's) promotes efficiency. Efficiency leads to increased profits. There is no chapter for where the system starts eating the economic structure. We saw it with Thatcher taking on workers in Britain. Reagan broke a union of air traffic controllers. And there is always Chile. 

At some point, the structure fails - to be consumed by an even more efficient structure. Sometimes it works like magic. But there should be an economic term for the moment when an  efficiency begins devouring the seed corn. We are way past that moment and towards a point of no return. 50 years of austerity for people and 50 years of profit extracted. 

This virus exposed all the social fabric torn in this nation . . . and the potential for a deep fall from our place of prominence in the world economic order - where the dollar is king.

Americans need to take this more seriously and come together. That social fabric was a safety net, not a floor.

Edited by washparkhorn
  • Like 8

I made a "two weeks behind Italy" post about that video, but looking closer and reading the comments, I'm not sure the footage is from a US hospital. But it definitely looks like a COVID stricken hospital, wherever it is, and shows what can happen when it gets out of control.

Edited by Bartles
  • Like 1

Kind of a dick move using Freddie's likeness considering another deadly, contagious virus took him out.  

But I like the lyrical twist.  

This article deserves a replay. 

“We are the last major domestic mask company,” he wrote on Jan. 23. “My phones are ringing now, so I don’t ‘need’ government business. I’m just letting you know that I can help you preserve our infrastructure if things ever get really bad. I’m a patriot first, businessman second.”

May 9th. I'd sure like to see a follow up interview. 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/investigations/in-the-early-days-of-the-pandemic-the-us-government-turned-down-an-offer-to-manufacture-millions-of-n95-masks-in-america/2020/05/09/f76a821e-908a-11ea-a9c0-73b93422d691_story.html

• Like 4

1 hour ago, cactusflinthead said:

This article deserves a replay. 

“We are the last major domestic mask company,” he wrote on Jan. 23. “My phones are ringing now, so I don’t ‘need’ government business. I’m just letting you know that I can help you preserve our infrastructure if things ever get really bad. I’m a patriot first, businessman second.”

May 9th. I'd sure like to see a follow up interview. 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/investigations/in-the-early-days-of-the-pandemic-the-us-government-turned-down-an-offer-to-manufacture-millions-of-n95-masks-in-america/2020/05/09/f76a821e-908a-11ea-a9c0-73b93422d691_story.html

Just unbelievable. 

I have read an interesting conspiracy theory about how Joe Stalin was gay, hence his violent treatment of LGBTQ people in the Soviet Union.  Kinda like how Hitler may have been part Jewish, hence the holocaust.  

Anywhoodles, the N95 mask manufacturer in Fort Worth is still asking for funding to turn on 4 more N95 assembly lines.  And still they are hearing crickets from the Trump Administration.  I think if they just pretended they were for bio-chemical warfare defense for the Pentagon, the request would have been paid yesterday and at 3x the original asking price.  

Neoliberalism (our economic system since the 1970's) promotes efficiency. Efficiency leads to increased profits. There is no chapter for where the system starts eating the economic structure. We saw it with Thatcher taking on workers in Britain. Reagan broke a union of air traffic controllers. And there is always Chile. 

At some point, the structure fails - to be consumed by an even more efficient structure. Sometimes it works like magic. But there should be an economic term for the moment when an  efficiency begins devouring the seed corn. We are way past that moment and towards a point of no return. 50 years of austerity for people and 50 years of profit extracted. 

This virus exposed all the social fabric torn in this nation . . . and the potential for a deep fall from our place of prominence in the world economic order - where the dollar is king.

Americans need to take this more seriously and come together. That social fabric was a safety net, not a floor.

QFMFT, and because it’s maybe the best post I’ve ever seen from you.

We cannot continue on our current trajectory. It is unsustainable, and has no end but collapse and ensuing violence.

The utter disdain for even the NOTION of the common good, gruesomely sacrificed every day on the altar of profit and the worship of the mythical individual is ensuring our doom. We have a literal body count to go with it now....and our current leadership class and their cultish devotees deny and decry it all as a hoax etc.

“Record profits for the 1%, suffering and death for everyone else” may be a shitty motto, but it would be accurate as hell.

Even champions of liberalism (both classic political liberalism and economic liberalism), like the Economist, are and have been sounding the alarm that the current path is unsustainable....and the only reaction we have is more of the same stupidity, cloaked in the ineffective and counterproductive stupidity of xenophobic nationalism. Bailing on the EU/blaming Mexicans for everything isn’t going to bring back any fucking coal or manufacturing jobs....it will actually likely lead to the loss of even more. Blaming other countries for our own massive failures in responding to a pandemic isn’t a strategy at all....unless it’s a strategy to avoid all responsibility and watch the death toll and debilitating disease numbers climb (if so...it’s a very effective strategy).

Stupidest period of history since the lead-up to WWI.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Dnaguy said:

‘I heard we have...’

Trump is trying so hard to distance himself from this disease. 
I mean, he really thinks he can outrun this thing until November.

My gawd.

That the President of the US is dealing with hearsay on the mortality rate of a virus ravaging his country is a-fucking-stounding.

• Like 5

47 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Anywhoodles, the N95 mask manufacturer in Fort Worth is still asking for funding to turn on 4 more N95 assembly lines.  And still they are hearing crickets from the Trump Administration.  I think if they just pretended they were for bio-chemical warfare defense for the Pentagon, the request would have been paid yesterday and at 3x the original asking price.  

They could sell those N95 masks to the general public in a heartbeat.  That seems like a bad business move to sit on production.  I'd buy a half dozen for every adult in our house (5).

• Like 1

LOL. Good thing they banned smoking on flights like I don’t know, thirty years ago.
Fucking moron. 

I made absolutely no political or philosophical point. I merely stated an additional statistic for additional context in reference to deaths in American wars.

Not sure what warranted the angry name calling.

1 hour ago, Lobo said:

Anywhoodles, the N95 mask manufacturer in Fort Worth is still asking for funding to turn on 4 more N95 assembly lines.  And still they are hearing crickets from the Trump Administration.  I think if they just pretended they were for bio-chemical warfare for the Pentagon against antifa libtard hollywood pedophiles destroying statues and tweeting mean stuff at Trump, the request would have been paid yesterday and at 3x the original asking price.  

fify

11 minutes ago, William_Cannon said:

I made absolutely no political or philosophical point. I merely stated an additional statistic for additional context in reference to deaths in American wars.

Not sure what warranted the angry name calling.

My apologies good sir. 

1 hour ago, TwiceHorn said:

That the President of the US is dealing with hearsay on the mortality rate of a virus ravaging his country is a-fucking-stounding.

I’m surprised he doesn’t add, “And I also heard Wilt Chamberlain slept with 20,000 women. But that’s just what people say, you can’t really know the truth to everything. But I do, because I’m the President of the United States, so I have to know everything and I do. I have so much knowledge there was a University named after me. Did you know that? I bet you didn’t, but it’s true, Trump University, and it was such a tremendous success. And now all these schools want to close because of the Kung Flu without knowing the true facts. The kids are fine, they will all be safe. Look at my kids, they all work at the White House with me and we’re all doing tremendous despite this worldwide pandemic that our country is handling the best way out of all the countries in the world.” Mindless dribble talking in circles.

38 minutes ago, Bevo14 said:

fify

Anywhoodles, the N95 mask manufacturer in Fort Worth is still asking for funding to turn on 4 more N95 assembly lines.  And still they are hearing crickets from the Trump Administration.  I think if they just pretended they were for bio-chemical warfare for the Pentagon against antifa libtard hollywood pedophiles destroying statues and tweeting mean stuff at Trump, the request would have been paid yesterday and at 3x the original asking price, with one-third of that going into an offshore account controlled by Donald Trump, it would have been paid in January.

FIFY

I literally live in a time where a statue of a dead slave-owning rebellion officer receives better treatment and care than does a native-born, patriotic American who needs an accurate Covid-19 test.  I'm seriously considering showing up to a testing site on a horse with a sword and hat and insisting I get immediate testing with 5-minute results because I am a sacred U.S. historical figure and claim testing priority under the Trump Act.  

Edited by Lobo

2 minutes ago, Lobo said:

I literally live in a time where a statue of a dead slave-owning rebellion officer receives better treatment and care than does a native-born, patriotic American who needs an accurate Covid-19 test.  

That this still surprises you is the only odd thing about this timeline.

48 minutes ago, Horn Under a Bad Sign said:

What a strange disease this is. Fishermen test positive despite spending 35 days at sea and testing negative before they left.

https://news.yahoo.com/coronavirus-fishermen-test-positive-despite-232641456.html

It's very common for the tests to not catch it in the early stages of the infection.

1 hour ago, Horn Under a Bad Sign said:

What a strange disease this is. Fishermen test positive despite spending 35 days at sea and testing negative before they left.

https://news.yahoo.com/coronavirus-fishermen-test-positive-despite-232641456.html

Not all that surprising that a story like this surfaces when there is a serious false negative issue with testing. Must have been what happened to at least one crew member prior to embarking. 

34 minutes ago, kevwun said:

It's very common for the tests to not catch it in the early stages of the infection.

It's also pretty shoddy reporting and general logic by everyone involved in that story.

"They were then flown to the Ushuaia, a typical jumping-off point for Antarctic voyages nicknamed “the end of the world”, where they were quarantined in a hotel for two weeks before setting sail."

So they were tested and then totally quarantined off from the entire world. Except for when they all got on an airplane with pilots and presumably flight attendants, and checked into a hotel where they made contact with maids, staff, cooks and probably a non-zero amount of hookers. Contact that via secondary contacts probably had them sharing germs with thousands of people. But besides all of that, they definitely were 100% quarantined.

Their Covid logic is like my sister in law's. "Yeah we're being super duper careful and isolating except when we take the whole family to Wal-Mart, go out to eat, and have 20 people in our tiny apartment for a birthday party! But here's a Facebook meme reminding you to wear a mask!".

Edited by BradInATX
  • Like 5

2 hours ago, Lobo said:

I'm seriously considering showing up to a testing site on a horse with a sword and hat and insisting I get immediate testing with 5-minute results because I am a sacred U.S. historical figure and claim testing priority under the Trump Act.  

"I say I say Miz Hattie, git on up out that chair and come test me and my orderly Lieutenant Beaurivage. I declare, child, there is a distinct lack of urgency in your address of the problem at hand. I dare not ever speak ill or slander a lady, but in this case--- Lieutenant Beaurivage, I say I say see if you can spark a fire in this lass's ample backside with your riding glove there. Ha ha. Ha ha."

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Lobo said:

I have read an interesting conspiracy theory about how Joe Stalin was gay, hence his violent treatment of LGBTQ people in the Soviet Union.  Kinda like how Hitler may have been part Jewish, hence the holocaust.  

This is so backasswards. A fern. A damn fern could do a better job.

51 minutes ago, RDCanecutter said:

"I say I say Miz Hattie, git on up out that chair and come test me and my orderly Lieutenant Beaurivage. I declare, child, there is a distinct lack of urgency in your address of the problem at hand. I dare not ever speak ill or slander a lady, but in this case--- Lieutenant Beaurivage, I say I say see if you can spark a fire in this lass's ample backside with your riding glove there. Ha ha. Ha ha."

B-, but rep for the ha ha. Ha ha.