CR: COVID-19 --Political Talk

Mrs Whiggins

On 7/28/2020 at 7:27 AM, TXSG8R said:

Republicans are clutching pearls because of the lazy brown people would rather get their PPP checks than work trope, ignoring the devastated job market.  At the same time, they have no problems pouring endless money into farmers because they cant sell all their subsidized corn and soybeans they grow for the Chinese market that Trump closed off to them through his fuckery.  

Yeah, this is absolutely the wrong time to be moralizing about work ethic and whatnot.  Geezly crow.

1 hour ago, SizzleChest said:

He just said in an interview that he got the virus from a mask he wore at some point.

Just fire the bus up right now.

Is it too late for me to change my stance on the outcome of his prognosis?

20 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

Came here to post about that piece of shit. One of the articles had some background on that dude and Kirk.

Seems like a chicken hawk situation but that’s none of my business/kermit

Study: hydroxychloroquine appears to work.

"In this multi-hospital assessment, when controlling for COVID-19 risk factors, treatment with hydroxychloroquine alone and in combination with azithromycin was associated with reduction in COVID-19 associated mortality. Prospective trials are needed to examine this impact."

https://www.ijidonline.com/article/S1201-9712(20)30534-8/fulltext

10 minutes ago, Horn Under a Bad Sign said:

Study: hydroxychloroquine appears to work.

"In this multi-hospital assessment, when controlling for COVID-19 risk factors, treatment with hydroxychloroquine alone and in combination with azithromycin was associated with reduction in COVID-19 associated mortality. Prospective trials are needed to examine this impact."

https://www.ijidonline.com/article/S1201-9712(20)30534-8/fulltext

That's the Henry Ford study that's been discredited for lack of control. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TheRealRonWeaver? said:

The Russians have the Cure, only American press and doctors don’t want you to know about it. - Sincerely, the next GOP talking point

Russians actually appear to be first on track for a formal vax approval. Chinese are already rolling it out pre approval. 

1 hour ago, WhatTheBuck said:

That's the Henry Ford study that's been discredited for lack of control. 

I wouldn’t say discredited. It’s just an observational study with all the known limitations. But it is a few weeks old and has been discussed. And it’s not like the bottom line is not stated right in the quoted section of the conclusion. Levels of evidence. How do they work? 

• Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, Anastasis said:

I wouldn’t say discredited. It’s just an observational study with all the known limitations. But it is a few weeks old and has been discussed. And it’s not like the bottom line is not stated right in the quoted section of the conclusion. Levels of evidence. How do they work? 

Agree. Also, if the medical community at large doesn't seem to do a good job of sorting out levels of evidence, how can we expect the lay public to do so? BTW, I'm not suggesting doctors don't understand levels of evidence, but rather it is common to see rampant disregard of evidence-based medicine based on bias or other factors (an example is the use of antidepressants in Bipolar I Depression). 

Take a look at this quote from Dr. Birx around the time the task force was rolled out:

Of course, there’s always anecdotal reports and we’re trying to figure out how many anecdotal reports equal real scientific breakthroughs.

So I know that she is highly trained and I am sure she understands levels of evidence, but WTF? I have always hoped she was pressured into saying that, or that she just worded her sentence poorly and meant something else. Argumentum ad populem is a BS political tactic and should never be amplified by medical experts.

• Hook 'Em 1

The American dumbfucks start it and then the Russian/foreign/4chan trolls hop on and amplify what the dumbfucks started.

I don’t believe the troll farms actually generate any of the nonsense. They stand on the sidelines and jump in.

I disagree. They started all kinds of shit that the right jumped on in 2016 from fake rallies that then became rallies to news stories that were completely fabricated. Go find a hard right wing Facebook account (hi pops) and you’ll se outlandish completely made up crap posted from extreme far right truly fake news outlets. Some of those (probably at least 1 out of 10 are foreign based). Outside/foreign influence is much more influential that we want to think.
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, PsychMike said:

Also, if the medical community at large doesn't seem to do a good job of sorting out levels of evidence, how can we expect the lay public to do so?

And that's fair.

1 hour ago, PsychMike said:

I have always hoped she was pressured into saying that, or that she just worded her sentence poorly and meant something else.

I think I would give her the benefit of the doubt, unless there is some other quotes that suggest similar wrong headed thinking.  I think it was just imprecise terminology and that "equal" was the bad choice of words. Replace with "can be confirmed through clinical research and result in..." 

• Hook 'Em 1

Here's an article that presents a pretty solid hypothesis on the resurgence of the HCQ popularity among GOP:

https://crooksandliars.com/2020/07/ugly-reason-why-republicans-are-pushing

The Ugly Reason Why Republicans Are Pushing Hydroxychloroquine Again

Spoiler alert: All the GOP cares about is money, and they don't care who dies from COVID-19, as long as it keeps flowing into their pockets.

On Wednesday morning, Republicans are in the second day of a full-on blitz attempting to sell the idea that hydroxychloroquine is effective as a treatment against COVID-19. That effort comes in the form of not just statements from Donald Trump, but supporting tweets and emails from Republican candidates and a full-court press from Fox News. At first, the idea that the GOP is latching onto claims from a doctor who believes medicines come from alien DNA to justify renewed support for a drug proven ineffective months ago seems baffling. Even if everyone from Ron DeSantis to Peter Navarro has joined in buying hundreds of millions of pointless doses, and they have, the billions wasted on the drug hardly seem to justify a second round of life-threatening propaganda.

But the hydroxychloroquine story isn’t about whether or not the drug is effective—and to be clear, it’s not. The reason Republicans are supporting this fresh round of out-and-out lies about a treatment that is more harmful than helpful isn’t because they’re getting rich off the pills. It’s because they really, really need to convince people that it’s safe to go back to work and send their kids back to school. Because hydroxychloroquine, schools reopening, and the GOP “plan” for COVID-19 are all a single story. It’s the story of Republicans needing working class people to go out there and generate money—for the wealthy.

On Monday, Republicans finally produced a draft of their take on the next round of addressing COVID-19—a round that, though a third the size of what’s needed at this point, is still much larger than the entire economic stimulus program that Barack Obama fought for and signed in 2009. The Republican plan not only cuts unemployment compensation for those unable to work because of the pandemic, it sweeps in $30 billion for critical pandemic items like more F-35 fighters and a new FBI building. It took that kind of “sweetening” to get enough Republicans to agree to having any plan at all.

But there are two things that Republicans were dead set on getting into their package. Two things that Sen. Mitch McConnell and others made clear were absolutely a requirement before the Senate would lift a finger. The Republican plan had to:

• Ensure that it cut unemployment benefits to workers sent home by business closures during the pandemic.
  • Protect corporations from being sued by workers who caught COVID-19 from being forced to work in unsafe conditions.

These were not a secret agenda. These were McConnell’s openly stated goals. He has been pushing for weeks the idea that, unless corporations are given a free pass to get as many workers sick as they like, America would be “swamped by personal injury lawsuits,” just because people had been personally injured. Republicans aren’t hiding this. Their entire agenda when it comes to COVID-19 is making sure that people have no choice but to get out there and put their lives on the line for minimum wage. Trump even used an executive order to put mostly immigrant workers back onto the lines at meatpacking facilities even as people at those facilities were literally dying.

And that’s exactly why Republicans are also keen on reopening schools. Those complaining about people not being eager to work for minimum wage in the midst of a pandemic and those calling for the reopening of public schools are after the same thing: Maintaining a low-cost “service class” that does the actual work while the wealthy and corporations collect the benefit of their labor. It’s not anything new. It’s actually baked into the unfettered capitalism of the American system. The COVID-19 crisis only serves to underline the utter cruelty and inhumanity intrinsic to that system.

The public school funding system in the United States—where almost all the cost falls on property tax in local communities—is one of the best tools the wealthy have ever created to externalize costs and ensure the continued presence of a low-cost worker class. The result of the current system of school funding is that poor communities end up paying a much higher tax rate, while still getting schools that provide inadequate opportunities for their children, helping to lock in a poverty cycle. This is by no means an accident.

Across the nation, private schools are not opening. Barron Trump’s school is not opening. But Republicans want public schools open for the same reason they want unemployment benefits ended: the working class is the engine that puts more money in wealthy pockets. Reopening public schools in the midst of a pandemic has nothing to do with educating the nation’s children. It has everything to do with removing obstacles that keep the cogs from getting back out there and turning the wheels of commerce.

Cutting unemployment and opening schools is entirely designed to give American workers absolutely no choice but to put their lives on the line without making a single demand on their employers. That’s what Republicans are saying every time they complain about the chance that someone might possibly be able to survive for another month on unemployment benefits. Other nations are absolutely providing workers with enhanced benefits during the pandemic because “paying people to stay home” is good public policy. It’s impossible to have effective social distancing if workers are being put in a position where they cannot stay home, and cannot disobey directives from their employers, even if those directives are unsafe.

Hydroxychloroquine is just the carrot being dangled in front of workers as they’re forced back on the job, and their children are forced back into school without an option. It’s the promise that if they do get sick, there’s something that can be done about it. Unfortunately, it’s also an absolute lie.

Republished with permission from Daily Kos.

• Hook 'Em 1

9 hours ago, Anastasis said:

Russians actually appear to be first on track for a formal vax approval. Chinese are already rolling it out pre approval. 

The Russian is the one in the middle

978fe466830d2d9d368bc644d32a4478.jpg

Kidding, I want any vax candidate to succeed and safely. 

Edited by Bozo_Casanova
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1