CR: COVID-19 --Political Talk

Mrs Whiggins

5 minutes ago, Bama Chick said:

Wasn’t there some concern about a bad drug interaction using HCQ and azithromycin together?

Yes, CV safety. There's a section titled "Risks‐Benefits of Combining the 2 Drugs" in the article I linked above.

16 hours ago, Anastasis said:

I wouldn’t say discredited. It’s just an observational study with all the known limitations. But it is a few weeks old and has been discussed. And it’s not like the bottom line is not stated right in the quoted section of the conclusion. Levels of evidence. How do they work? 

They did exclude 267 patients without outcomes (death or discharge) during the time period, which was about 9% of the total patient group during the study’s time period. There were other smaller groups of patients excluded, as well. 

3 hours ago, DDD Dad said:

If you keep this shit up triple's going to chime in.  It's like saying Beetlejuice 3 times.

Yeah, I'm here.  Still have Anastasis on ignore all this time so I get bits of whatever is said like it's coming from Whoopi Goldberg in Ghost.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Sawbonz said:

Basically there are no level one studies of HCQ Zinc and azithromycin. And the one that would have been close (not blinded) is dead in the water. The honest thing to say is we don’t know if the cocktail works or not. If you don’t want to expend scarce resources to find out fine, but quit pointing to  HCQ only studies to justify it

Because of the nature of my specialty we often don’t get level 1 studies. We will use level 2 and even occasionally level 3 studies to guide treatment because it’s the best we have. What I have never seen is an attempt to use level 1 data showing procedure X when performed alone is ineffective to say you shouldn’t perform combo procedure XYZ. 

eta I have no opinion as to whether the cocktail works. I’m pointing out it hasn’t been studied

The head scratcher for me is that it appears the US is acting insular in ignoring the preponderance of available international studies that taken together provide pretty compelling evidence of efficacy, and very compelling evidence on safety.  But yes, even internationally the HCQ/AZ/Zn cocktail hasn't been studied.

fwiw, as of the last two days, my stance on Plaquenil has shifted to its anti-inflammatory effects as being the primary mechanism for reduced morbidity and mortality with Covid infection, not direct viral inhibition.  Yale med published breakthrough findings re identifying 4 disease trajectories that involve 3 immune signatures.  The people who they identified as likely to progress to complicated illness have various characteristics, but keen attention is being paid to the role of cytosolic inflammasomes.  It so happens Plaquenil inhibits inflammasome activation and disrupts lysosomal function which is also involved in inflammasome activation.  It's related to the reason why Plaquenil is used to treat RA and Lupus.  

Palquenil also happens to inhibit Covid viral replication in vitro.  But it's not a knockout drug to the virus.  That helps explain why it appears to be most effective as a pre-exposure prophylactic when started 4-6 weeks prior to exposure.  Think of flattening the curve.  In this case, if you flatten the curve of rate of viral replication, you slow it down to let T cell immunity advance to neutralize the infection before it outstrips T cell killing ability with sheer exponential growth numbers.  But you can't wait.  have to have it early and waiting for the replication slowing/disrupting effect.  Not practical for giant populations. 

The hand in glove anti-inflammatory effect of Plaquenil against what Covid triggers via inflammasomes and IL-1b and IL-18 (ultimately resulting end stage cytokine storm and systemic coagulopathy) appears to be what's happening where it's being used with success.

Very bullish on establishing high normal Vit D levels (>35 ng/mL) in everyone middle age and beyond. 

Masks and distancing - remember an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

Edited by triplehorn

46 minutes ago, triplehorn said:

Palquenil also happens to inhibit Covid viral replication in vitro.  But it's not a knockout drug to the virus.  That helps explain why it appears to be most effective as a pre-exposure prophylactic when started 4-6 weeks prior to exposure.  Think of flattening the curve.  In this case, if you flatten the curve of rate of viral replication, you slow it down to let T cell immunity advance to neutralize the infection before it outstrips T cell killing ability with sheer exponential growth numbers.  But you can't wait.  have to have it early and waiting for the replication slowing/disrupting effect.  Not practical for giant populations. 

If you didn't have me on ignore, you would know that the in vitro models that demonstrated this early finding are the wrong animal models for the human respiratory track, and you could save yourself the embarrassment of taking one of your many paths to the place we have already arrived at. 

Edited by Anastasis

2 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

If you didn't have me on ignore, you would know that the in vitro models that demonstrated this early finding are the wrong animal models for the human respiratory track, and you could save yourself the embarrassment of taking one of your many paths to the place we have already arrived at. 

Wut?  You mean we don't breathe the same as African green monkeys?  C'mon, they're monkeys man!  Just like us!!

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

I know we’re supposed to feel bad that Herman Cain died but jeez, don’t tug on Mother Nature’s dress.  I feel bad for the early people because we had incomplete information but by the time Cain went to the Trump rally, he sure as fuck knew better.  It’s like a lifetime smoker dying of lung cancer.

8 minutes ago, Aqua Buddha said:

I know we’re supposed to feel bad that Herman Cain died but jeez, don’t tug on Mother Nature’s dress.  I feel bad for the early people because we had incomplete information but by the time Cain went to the Trump rally, he sure as fuck knew better.  It’s like a lifetime smoker dying of lung cancer.

Yeah but by then we had won this already. It's only because of the protesters that this got out of hand again. 

The news that Kushner and others didn't care about how Covid ravaged New York, New Jersey and Michigan doesn't shock me. When you dehumanize your opponent to the extent they have, their supporters really didn't care either that it was affecting New York. They were just waiting to see how they could blame it on the libtards. Now, it's not so funny as it literally burns through their states. 

I don't think it makes a difference in this case.  It's a simple in vitro test of whether a viral polymerase slows down as intracellular Zinc concentration increases.  Plaquenil only serves as a non-cell specific, non-receptor mediated, facilitator of passive conduit across the lipid bilayer of a cell resulting in increased intracellular Zinc.  That's it.  It could be goat-blowing green monkeys and it's the same because of basic fundamentals of cell physiology.

2 minutes ago, mdmost said:

Yeah but by then we had won this already. It's only because of the protesters that this got out of hand again. 

The news that Kushner and others didn't care about how Covid ravaged New York, New Jersey and Michigan doesn't shock me. When you dehumanize your opponent to the extent they have, their supporters really didn't care either that it was affecting New York. They were just waiting to see how they could blame it on the libtards. Now, it's not so funny as it literally burns through their states. 

So would they be okay if a dem president lets it ravage their states.  FFS, those same assholes tout snake oil, won't even put on a goddamn mask, and ignore all the science.  And now that shit's getting real in Florida, am I supposed to give a fuck?  When they were okay with my family dying.  

1 minute ago, lemonlime said:

So would they be okay if a dem president lets it ravage their states.  FFS, those same assholes tout snake oil, won't even put on a goddamn mask, and ignore all the science.  And now that shit's getting real in Florida, am I supposed to give a fuck?  When they were okay with my family dying.  

No. But therein lies the double standard. A Democrat can't get away with what Trump does. That would be wrong. The same reason Obama was the worst thing ever though you're hard pressed to get them to tell you what exactly Obama did that was so awful. 

28 minutes ago, triplehorn said:

I don't think it makes a difference in this case.  It's a simple in vitro test of whether a viral polymerase slows down as intracellular Zinc concentration increases.  Plaquenil only serves as a non-cell specific, non-receptor mediated, facilitator of passive conduit across the lipid bilayer of a cell resulting in increased intracellular Zinc.  That's it.  It could be goat-blowing green monkeys and it's the same because of basic fundamentals of cell physiology.

It's already been posted on this thread, as well as the twitter thread from an ID pharmacist a page or so back. Shine on triple. 

Why hydroxychloroquine and chloroquine don’t block coronavirus infection of human lung cells

The new study was carried out by scientists in Germany who tested HCQ on a collection of different cell types to figure out why this drug doesn’t prevent the virus from infecting humans.

Their findings clearly show that that HQC can block the coronavirus from infecting kidney cells from the African green monkey. But it does not inhibit the virus in human lung cells – the primary site of infection for the SARS-CoV-2 virus.

In order for the virus to enter a cell, it can do so by two mechanisms - one, when the SARS-CoV-2 spike protein attaches to the ACE2 receptor and inserts its genetic material into the cell. In the second mechanism, the virus is absorbed into some special compartments in cells called endosomes.

Depending on the cell type, some, like kidney cells, need an enzyme called cathepsin L for the virus to successfully infect them. In lung cells, however, an enzyme called TMPRSS2 (on the cell surface) is necessary. Cathepsin L requires an acidic environment to function and allow the virus to infect the cell, while TMPRSS2 does not.

In the green monkey kidney cells, both hydroxychloroquine and chloroquine decrease the acidity, which then disables the cathepsin L enzyme, blocking the virus from infecting the monkey cells. In human lung cells, which have very low levels of cathepsin L enzyme, the virus uses the enzyme TMPRSS2 to enter the cell. But because that enzyme is not controlled by acidity, neither HCQ and CQ can block the SARS-CoV-2 from infecting the lungs or stop the virus from replicating.

https://theconversation.com/why-hydroxychloroquine-and-chloroquine-dont-block-coronavirus-infection-of-human-lung-cells-143234

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41586-020-2575-3

https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1288871272261328902.html

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

https://www.yahoo.com/news/trump-loyalist-tested-positive-coronavirus-201412480.html

The co-founder of Republican anti-Trump group The Lincoln Project has called congressman Louie Gohmert ”America’s craziest and dumbest congressman”, following confirmation he tested positive for coronavirus.

On Wednesday, speaking to host Joy Reid of NBC’s The ReidOut, Mr Schmidt said: “When I say he’s America’s dumbest and craziest congressman, I’m serious about that.”

“And he’s not competing in an era where there’s not a lot of other competition. In the era of crazy, right, this is like Ali, Foreman and Frazier, the big time great heavyweights all fighting each other,” Mr Schmidt said referencing some of the country’s greatest ever heavyweight boxers.

“So he’s got a lot of competition in that space, and this is just a person who, when you think about Louie Gohmert, you think about America’s crazy people.”

According to Johns Hopkins University some 4.4m people have now tested positive for coonavirus in the US and the death toll has reached 150,765.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

I thought you said you had him on ignore?

4 hours ago, Beau Vine said:

You can reply to a post and include it without hitting quote?

All formatting problems would be solved if people would use paste special + plain text when they copy stories from other websites.

Edited by bolverk
  • Hook 'Em 2

Fauci is doing a solid job of laying out why we didn't go down to the extent of Europe. By his estimation, we only functionally shut down about 50% whereas Europe functionally shut down 95% which actually put a tamper on the spread of the virus.

It's so nice to hear from actual professionals in our government

• Hook 'Em 3