CR: COVID-19 --Political Talk

Mrs Whiggins

So, locally, the school 'decision' was thankfully made for us:

Tonight the Bend-La Pine School Board of Directors voted unanimously to start the 2020-21 school year with Comprehensive Distance Learning and to reevaluate the decision every six weeks. The first day of school will be Monday, September 14, 2020. More details to follow. Thank you.

I get, and support the decision.  Yet, bars and dine-in restaurants are still open.  That, to me, makes little sense.  

I think if I read correctly AISD did something similar.  Not sure what the bar/restaurant status is over there.

However, nationally it looks like many parents are not so lucky:

https://apnews.com/1bd44b60f9bb9ea769146c97e5fcd0f1

That stinks.

17 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Really all that moronic fat fuck had to do to save a hundred thousand lives is model mask wearing. That’s it. Anything beyond that would have been gravy but 90% mask compliance in mid May and we’ve got this thing whipped. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Sawbonz said:

Really all that moronic fat fuck had to do to save a hundred thousand lives is model mask wearing. That’s it. Anything beyond that would have been gravy but 90% mask compliance in mid May and we’ve got this thing whipped. 

That is what so fucking maddening.  He is the only leader in the free world to politicize mask wearing. And only because he wanted to be contrarian.

And if you had to put into words the administrations plan of attack to control this virus, the answer is...  I have no idea.

11 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

That is what so fucking maddening.  He is the only leader in the free world to politicize mask wearing. And only because he wanted to be contrarian.

And if you had to put into words the administrations plan of attack to control this virus, the answer is...  I have no idea.

Trump declared himself to be a wartime president and then promptly surrendered. 

Edited by WhatTheBuck
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

No, I think it's more than that -- it's because he wanted to cripple blue states.  By the time the virus had spread to red states, he was dug in too deep.  Trump is not the type of man to ever appear contrite or admit a mistake.

• Hook 'Em 2

10 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Trump declared himself to be a wartime president and then promptly surrendered. 

I just downloaded the Eric Larson book on Churchill during the Blitz. I almost don’t want to read it because seeing how he managed a country on the brink, I will just be that much more upset by trump’s complete and utter failure during what shouldn’t be anywhere close to a similar situation 

4 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

No, I think it's more than that -- it's because he wanted to cripple blue states.  By the time the virus had spread to red states, he was dug in too deep.  Trump is not the type of man to ever appear contrite or admit a mistake.

This.

The (Vanity Fair?) article about Kush and his team of 'disrupters' made it pretty clear.

There was a huge testing plan that was concocted that was scrapped in large part due to the fact that the virus was initially fucking up democratic states / cities.

My take is that this fit their campaign messaging of democrat cities, mayors, and governors being the root of all the problems (this was pivoted to the protests and 'violence' later).

They had to regroup on the 2020 messaging and this was seen as manna from the god. They can say it was all the democrats fault and there would be less democratic voters due to deaths. A sure fire win-win in their eyes.

Trump's natural and default reaction is to do absolutely dickshit nothing. He's lazy. SO lazy.

In addition, he has major ADD and wants to spend his day watching TV, tweeting, getting sucked off by the media, mean-tweeting his enemies, and getting a round of golf.

So by not doing anything, he basically gets to do all of this.

• Hook 'Em 1

16 minutes ago, Dnaguy said:

Trump's natural and default reaction is to do absolutely dickshit nothing. He's lazy. SO lazy.

In addition, he has major ADD and wants to spend his day watching TV, tweeting, getting sucked off by the media, mean-tweeting his enemies, and getting a round of golf.

So by not doing anything, he basically gets to do all of this.

And dumb, you forgot dumb.  The guy clearly is not any kind of thinker.  Any kind of real, difficult problem completely flummoxes him.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, TwiceHorn said:

And dumb, you forgot dumb.  The guy clearly is not any kind of thinker.  Any kind of real, difficult problem completely flummoxes him.

Very true.

homer GIF

stupid homer simpson GIF

I also watched the Politician on Netflix recently.

Got me thinking of how the title sequence and what would be inside Trump.

Maybe that could be a whole thread.

For those who haven't seen it:

• Hook 'Em 1

19 minutes ago, Sawbonz said:

I just downloaded the Eric Larson book on Churchill during the Blitz. I almost don’t want to read it because seeing how he managed a country on the brink, I will just be that much more upset by trump’s complete and utter failure during what shouldn’t be anywhere close to a similar situation 

I finished it a few weeks ago.  It's maddening.

The sad thing right now, is that the rural folks that DID NOT HAVE TO GET THE VIRUS, are now getting the virus.  

What is coming now is a wave of white privilege and parentally ingrained political stupidity.  ALL poor people and working class people are at risk.  Because of two main factors, close quarters work environment, and close quarter living because of low wages.

But we are gonna see a lot of upper middle class and beyond white people die in mostly rural states.  And the reason will be simply the embrace of Fox New reporting on Trump's careless selfish musings.

• Hook 'Em 2

https://www.npr.org/2020/08/02/898165324/americans-go-home-canadians-track-u-s-boaters-sneaking-across-the-border?utm_medium=RSS&utm_campaign=news

Canadians are typically seen as pretty friendly people, and until the coronavirus pandemic, most were happy to welcome Americans.

But when the coronavirus began to quickly spread in March, the U.S. and Canada shut their shared border to all nonessential traffic.

Since then, Canada's border patrol has effectively prevented caravans of Americans — and their RVs and their campers — from surging across the border as they normally do each summer.

But Americans can be crafty.

Some have managed to enter Canada by telling border patrol officers that they are on their way to Alaska. This is known as the "Alaska loophole."

The Royal Canadian Mounted Police fined several Americans who were hiking near Lake Louise in Alberta. Lake Louise is not on the way to Alaska.

Fed up, Canada announced last week that it is cracking down on Americans who apparently don't know which way is north.

Foreigners are also arriving by boat, often on sailboats and luxury yachts. Many seek refuge in British Columbia's protected inland waters and marine parks, which are home to pods of killer whales and abundant wildlife.

But the number of American pleasure craft arriving from Washington state has alarmed Canadians living just across the border.

For George Creek, a former insurance agent, whose home overlooks Nanaimo Harbor in British Columbia, it has been a call to action.

Spoiler

"A number of us that are retired boaters and still members of the Council of BC Yacht Clubs started looking at the number of American boats that were crossing our border, in spite of the prohibition by the federal government," says Creek, president of BC Marine Parks Forever.

And they can do so from their living rooms.

Under international maritime law, every passenger ship must be equipped with an automatic identification system that is to remain on at all times. This allows for tracking ships in real time and helps prevent collisions in fog and bad weather.

Anyone with a computer and an Internet connection can click to see what kind of vessels are sailing, where they've recently been and which country they are from.

And plenty are from the United States.

Creek estimates that right now some 30 to 40 American pleasure boats are cruising through British Columbia's pristine waterways.

Lately, however, many have gone dark. Creek says that the Americans have figured out that they are being tracked through their transponders.

"They're turning them off as they cross the border," says Creek. "We see them on the computer, and at a particular point a few minutes later, they're not there anymore."

The maritime posse of retirees knows the boats didn't suddenly turn around, or sink. That's because Canadian boaters up and down the inland coast call and radio in the location of suspicious vessels, i.e., American boats. They report sightings to the RCMP's marine division, though it's unclear if any arrests have been made.

American yachts sneaking across the border makes Creek, and a lot of other Canadians, angry.

There is widespread alarm at how fast the coronavirus has spread through the Lower 48 and what many Canadians view as Americans' flagrant disregard for mask wearing and maintaining a safe social distance.

A poll conducted by Nanos Research found that eight in 10 Canadians want the border to remain closed to nonessential U.S. traffic because of fears of the coronavirus.

"When I called the U.S. the biggest petri dish in the world, that was not just off the cuff," says Creek.

Creek is particularly concerned about the tiny isolated communities, such as Refuge Cove on Desolation Sound, where boaters stop for fuel and food. Many are home to First Nations people and have no medical facilities.

Canadian boaters recently got riled up after a large yacht from the U.S. stopped at one of the small outposts for supplies.

"They wandered the dock," says Creek bitterly. "Three or four adults and the rest were teenagers with no social distancing, no masks, and went through the store as if they were just shopping at Walmart."

To boaters sneaking into Canada to enjoy its marine parks and secluded coves, George Creek wants you to know: You are being watched.

• Hook 'Em 1

11 hours ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

https://www.npr.org/2020/08/02/898165324/americans-go-home-canadians-track-u-s-boaters-sneaking-across-the-border?utm_medium=RSS&utm_campaign=news

Hide contents

"A number of us that are retired boaters and still members of the Council of BC Yacht Clubs started looking at the number of American boats that were crossing our border, in spite of the prohibition by the federal government," says Creek, president of BC Marine Parks Forever.

And they can do so from their living rooms.

Under international maritime law, every passenger ship must be equipped with an automatic identification system that is to remain on at all times. This allows for tracking ships in real time and helps prevent collisions in fog and bad weather.

Anyone with a computer and an Internet connection can click to see what kind of vessels are sailing, where they've recently been and which country they are from.

And plenty are from the United States.

Creek estimates that right now some 30 to 40 American pleasure boats are cruising through British Columbia's pristine waterways.

Lately, however, many have gone dark. Creek says that the Americans have figured out that they are being tracked through their transponders.

"They're turning them off as they cross the border," says Creek. "We see them on the computer, and at a particular point a few minutes later, they're not there anymore."

The maritime posse of retirees knows the boats didn't suddenly turn around, or sink. That's because Canadian boaters up and down the inland coast call and radio in the location of suspicious vessels, i.e., American boats. They report sightings to the RCMP's marine division, though it's unclear if any arrests have been made.

American yachts sneaking across the border makes Creek, and a lot of other Canadians, angry.

There is widespread alarm at how fast the coronavirus has spread through the Lower 48 and what many Canadians view as Americans' flagrant disregard for mask wearing and maintaining a safe social distance.

A poll conducted by Nanos Research found that eight in 10 Canadians want the border to remain closed to nonessential U.S. traffic because of fears of the coronavirus.

"When I called the U.S. the biggest petri dish in the world, that was not just off the cuff," says Creek.

Creek is particularly concerned about the tiny isolated communities, such as Refuge Cove on Desolation Sound, where boaters stop for fuel and food. Many are home to First Nations people and have no medical facilities.

Canadian boaters recently got riled up after a large yacht from the U.S. stopped at one of the small outposts for supplies.

"They wandered the dock," says Creek bitterly. "Three or four adults and the rest were teenagers with no social distancing, no masks, and went through the store as if they were just shopping at Walmart."

To boaters sneaking into Canada to enjoy its marine parks and secluded coves, George Creek wants you to know: You are being watched.

Surprised they fell for the driving to Alaska charade.  The first road crossing to Alaska from Canada is like 1500 miles from the Washington border.  Seems like saying you were driving to Point Roberts would be the easier scam.  Although easier for Canadian border patrol to monitor as well.

For sure, if the tables were turned, we wouldn't let them or Mexican citizens drive through our territory to an exclave.  They should tell us to pound sand.

2 hours ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

117184084_3476094935742365_6487184889503

Since I’m a positive silver lining kind of guy I am choosing to believe that this virus has exposed the serious flaws imbedded in our society and once trump is out or dead we might do something about them.

I hope.

Edited by JimmyJames
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, JimmyJames said:

Since I’m a positive silver lining kind of guy I am choosing to believe that this virus has exposed the serious flows imbedded in our society and once trump is out or dead we might do something about them.

I hope.

spacer.png

I like the cut of your jive though.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

UConn is suspending football for 2020. IMO it would take a 'football' school (as opposed to a bball school) to get the first domino to topple.

That'll happen approximately the 2nd week of schools being reopened in person and games getting played. I really genuinely hope that things don't break out immediately, but every other test case seems like if you open, you get an outbreak

• Hook 'Em 1

@Lobo had commented upon end of August into September as being ugly (paraphrasing) and I don't disagree. I'm with you, I hope it doesn't happen, but in the college towns across America, it is going to play out. K-12 has its own issues with spread, but the college scene has the added complication of students arriving from other places.

UConn is suspending football for 2020. IMO it would take a 'football' school (as opposed to a bball school) to get the first domino to topple.
UCONN suspending football is the best possible outcome for their season. Also, Randy Edsall probably gets a bonus for that.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

[mention=2691]Lobo[/mention] had commented upon end of August into September as being ugly (paraphrasing) and I don't disagree. I'm with you, I hope it doesn't happen, but in the college towns across America, it is going to play out. K-12 has its own issues with spread, but the college scene has the added complication of students arriving from other places.

That’s been something I’ve thought about too. Consider some of these large schools in rural areas, bringing 25-40k students back from all around the country/world.

1 minute ago, bluto said:

That’s been something I’ve thought about too. Consider some of these large schools in rural areas, bringing 25-40k students back from all around the country/world.

Even the schools that have virtual learning will have students that wish to live in the same community as the campus. Once arriving, there is the trip to pick up sundries, etc. If I had to guess, campus health centers have been preparing in case there is an outbreak, but the county health departments don't always have a ton of resources if the uptick spreads community wide in a rapid fashion. I fear the roller coaster season is going to continue for the next three months at minimum.

53 minutes ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

Even the schools that have virtual learning will have students that wish to live in the same community as the campus. Once arriving, there is the trip to pick up sundries, etc. If I had to guess, campus health centers have been preparing in case there is an outbreak, but the county health departments don't always have a ton of resources if the uptick spreads community wide in a rapid fashion. I fear the roller coaster season is going to continue for the next three months at minimum.

No worries, they're all going to self quarantine for two weeks.

Mothers Day Lol GIF by reactionseditor

• Hook 'Em 1