CR: COVID-19 --Political Talk

Mrs Whiggins

Perhaps this belongs in another thread, but I'm putting it here as COVID-19, the economy, healthcare, and more are intertwined. As of right now, starring in the horror show that is 2020, what is outlined in the article is occurring across the nation in various forms or another. As more people become homeless, getting to the polls becomes difficult so voting to get those heartless bastards out of office becomes next to impossible. Their immediate needs are health assistance and shelter, something that is so basic to survive that our prosperous nation will gloat that the homeless don't deserve those things before admitting that we are not only callous to their suffering, but that (as Brisket has oft pointed out: the cruelty is the point. (link here): https://www.commercialappeal.com/story/news/local/2020/08/06/memphis-woman-who-said-she-has-covid-19-evicted-raleigh/3311839001/?utm_campaign=reckonalabama_sf&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter

Memphis woman, who said she is recovering from COVID-19, evicted in Raleigh

Article is spoilerd:

Spoiler

Leslie Nelson, a 56-year-old Raleigh resident, was evicted from her home of several years Thursday. Nelson, who struggled to breathe while talking to The Commercial Appeal, said she is recovering from COVID-19. 

She was sick, barely able to stand, she said, as her belongings were being removed from her home and piled on the property's front yard.

Memphis police officers were on scene at Nelson's residence Thursday afternoon and told a CA photographer they were only there to keep the peace. The process server, there to oversee the eviction, left just before 3 p.m.

Eviction hearings resumed in Shelby County in mid-June after a months-long hiatus prompted by the novel coronavirus pandemic.

Ten volunteers had gathered on Nelson's Raleigh residence to try and move her belongings out of the sun, and to tend to Nelson while also keeping their distance.

The volunteers were summoned by Nelson’s distress calls on Facebook, which were then amplified when Hunter Demster, a community organizer and activist, went to her house and livestreamed her eviction. 

And before the volunteers, movers or Memphis police cruisers showed up to her residence in the 3300 block of Joslyn Street, Nelson said she had pleaded with a probate attorney for a chance to settle her deceased mother-in-law’s medical bills.

The house was left to Nelson and her partner. She said she has the papers to prove it, and sought ways to repay the medical debt attached to the house. A GoFundMe was started by a friend to help with expenses. 

“I offered to pay,” Nelson said. “But he didn’t even give me a warning. He just sent movers over here, and they showed up with police officers.” 

Nelson tested positive for COVID-19 on June 11. Though she had been been staying at home since the start of the pandemic, she did visit with a friend one day. That friend called her a few days later, saying they thought they had symptoms of heatstroke when they saw Nelson. It wasn't heatstroke, but COVID-19 at the root of their symptoms.

Just three days after Nelson learned of her friend's positive status, she became sicker than she could ever remember feeling.

"I couldn't breathe, couldn't stand up, I was hallucinating at one point," Nelson said.

She called for an ambulance, and spent the next several days at Methodist North on oxygen.

She was released a few weeks ago, and had even started to feel like she was turning a corner. But when the process server showed up to her Raleigh residence, she said grew ill from the stress.

Her epilepsy also presented itself in Thursday morning's chaos. Nelson suffered from a seizure severe enough to cause her to bite her tongue.

Capt. Anthony Buckner with the Shelby County Sheriff's Office said no deputies responded to Nelson's address. SCSO, Buckner said, only handles about 20% of evictions in the county.

The rest are sometimes overseen by the Memphis Police Department, and Nelson said it was MPD officers who threatened arrest as she was being removed from her house.

It's not immediately clear if Nelson's eviction is among the 9,000 eviction filings Cindy Ettingoff, CEO and general counsel for the Memphis Area Legal Services, warned The Commercial Appeal about back in June. 

For now, the group of volunteers are moving Nelson's belongings into a small rented storage space that someone donated. It's a start, but it's not quite enough to hold all her possessions from her house. She does not know where she will stay tonight.

Nelson's eviction, occurring after she said she was hospitalized with COVID-19, represents an aspect of public health the Shelby County Health Department has signaled concern over — being unhoused and sick with COVID-19.

"This is going to happen again," Nelson said. "And next time, I want to be the one that shows up to help."

The Commercial Appeal has reached out to Nelson's probate attorney for a response.

• Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, HenryJames said:

Given that ~80% of all deaths have been those that are 65 years old +, I am looking forward to the "Freakonomics" style analysis on the impact this has to social security & longer term healthcare. It's no joke that the elderly have been sacrificed.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, BrazilHorn said:

Given that ~80% of all deaths have been those that are 65 years old +, I am looking forward to the "Freakonomics" style analysis on the impact this has to social security & longer term healthcare. It's no joke that the elderly have been sacrificed.

Well that's one way to fix the social security insolvency issue.

Thank goodness they're olds and not a fertilized egg or the Republicans would have never had the balls to let them die.

3 hours ago, HenryJames said:

Stark statistic. 

Died with COVID v. died of COVID will be the rebuttal.

Frankly, died of COVID numbers should be enough to wake up everyone to the risk of the pandemic to Americans and America. But it is a Presidential election year and the silliness dominates. Thanks for the link.

7 minutes ago, washparkhorn said:

Stark statistic. 

Died with COVID v. died of COVID will be the rebuttal.

Frankly, died of COVID numbers should be enough to wake up everyone to the risk of the pandemic to Americans and America. But it is a Presidential election year and the silliness dominates. Thanks for the link.

Ive posted it here, I’ve put it in the DT threads (one is worthless and one is actually really good). I’ll do it again. It’s a month old but they continue to update. It’s the best guess - anyone who wants to try to argue this is going to need to show their work.

Excess deaths https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/05/05/us/coronavirus-death-toll-us.html

• Hook 'Em 1

Preliminary and too many confounding factors at this point. Agree. 

It is a wildfire with 0% containment. With containment, we can move on to temporary localized responses. We are a long way off with the amount of Americans ignoring the threat to Americans and the enormous damage suffered by our economic system because of the refusal to follow simple guidelines that would help contain the virus.

The United States economy is on the brink of oblivion thanks to our poor response to common sense measures for containing and localizing a pandemic. If the world pulls the plug on our economy, main street quality of life will plummet to depths not experienced since the Great Depression.

No one in America wants that, but actions speak louder than words. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Eh, that’s at 200,000 too many deaths and I’d argue it’s likely a little higher. On a larger time scale though it’s going to get smaller. It’s going to take years before we really have a good idea what happened. Not to say that this is over because I believe the worst is still coming. There’s no doubt a bunch of people died earlier than they should have, and a bunch more people shouldn’t have died at all. It’s tremendous. And testing.

we always needed to fight this locally. We just refuse to do it.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Grade of D as in David said:

Well that's one way to fix the social security insolvency issue.

Thank goodness they're olds and not a fertilized egg or the Republicans would have never had the balls to let them die.

I’m not celebrating it by any means. It will though once all the dust settles be interesting to see impact to Medicare & SS.  

OMG, so I saw on social media that Dan Patrick (not THAT Dan Patrick) leaked that the Big 10 held a vote and the fall season will be cancelled. He reported that Nebraska and Iowa voted to play. So, I headed over to FauxPelini's twitter to see if he had any pithy comments. No word on that yet, but I'm sure if Patrick's news is correct, the dominoes and comments are going to flood the twittersphere. No, what I came here to post was this funny take on what I am guessing is Clay Travis and Clay's COVID commentary. SIAP:

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

that seems like a lot

https://history.army.mil/html/documents/casualties/stcas.html

STATE WORLD WAR II KOREA VIETNAM
Alabama 5,114 589 741
Alaska 91 7 43
Arizona 1,613 185 390
Arkansas 3,814 409 397
California 17,022 1,894 3,597
Colorado 2,697 220 376
Connecticut 4,347 239 344
Delaware 579 35 81
District of Columbia 3,029 126 155
Florida 3,540 458 1,280
Georgia 5,701 640 1,125
Hawaii 689 371 214
Idaho 1,419 97 137
Illinois 18,601 1,436 1,854
Indiana 8,131 742 983
Iowa 5,633 392 533
Kansas 4,526 328 386
Kentucky 6,802 750 763
Louisiana 3,964 481 571
Maine 2,156 184 214
Maryland 4,375 431 639
Massachusetts 10,033 663 708
Michigan 12,885 1,242 1,844
Minnesota 6,462 548 707
Mississippi 3,555 351 485
Missouri 8,003 737 945
Montana 1,553 97 167
Nebraska 2,976 234 260
Nevada 349 28 84
New Hampshire 1,203 113 129
New Jersey 10,372 589 920
New Mexico 2,032 147 256
New York 31,215 1,766 2,646
North Carolina 7,109 694 1,166
North Dakota 1,626 147 134
Ohio 16,828 1,488 1,919
Oklahoma 5,474 475 671
Oregon 2,835 202 416
Pennsylvania 26,554 2,030 1,859
Rhode Island 1,669 111 136
South Carolina 3,423 409 650
South Dakota 1,426 130 134
Tennessee 6,528 714 886
Texas 15,764 1,311 2,172
Utah 1,450 112 243
Vermont 874 82 68
Virginia 6,007 750 864
Washington 3,941 341 660
West Virginia 4,865 703 497
Wisconsin 7,038 627 760
Wyoming 652 45 82
Panama Canal Zone 21 1 2
Puerto Rico 368 706 320
American Samoa -- -- 1
Guam -- -- 58
U.S. Virgin Islands -- -- 14
U.S. At Large -- 0 --
U.S. Possessions -- 20 --

• Hook 'Em 1

15 hours ago, Bartles said:

Well, sounds like college football will be officially called off in the next 48 hours. Get ready for an explosion of idiocy along the lines of Beruit last week. Small blasts from AL, GA and FL combine into a massive wave all the way to Cali.

I don't think so.

6 minutes ago, Hornius Emeritus said:

An average of 700 deaths per day in Texas alone?  Surely that can't possibly be right.

Less than a month ago we were at 83 per day (7-day rolling average).  A few days ago I saw 306 had perished in one day.  It's out of control.

19 minutes ago, elfenix said:
49 minutes ago, Horn Under a Bad Sign said:
Fox News finds out that children can get the disease.  Also, Dr. Natasha Kathuria is easy on the eyes.

Doc seems to have deleted her Instagram

stalking?

https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s40618-020-01370-x

Purpose
Hypovitaminosis D is a highly spread condition correlated with increased risk of respiratory tract infections. Nowadays, the world is in the grip of the Coronavirus disease 19 (COVID 19) pandemic. In these patients, cytokine storm is associated with disease severity. In consideration of the role of vitamin D in the immune system, aim of this study was to analyse vitamin D levels in patients with acute respiratory failure due to COVID-19 and to assess any correlations with disease severity and prognosis.

Methods
In this retrospective, observational study, we analysed demographic, clinical and laboratory data of 42 patients with acute respiratory failure due to COVID-19, treated in Respiratory Intermediate Care Unit (RICU) of the Policlinic of Bari from March, 11 to April 30, 2020.

Results
Eighty one percent of patients had hypovitaminosis D. Based on vitamin D levels, the population was stratified into four groups: no hypovitaminosis D, insufficiency, moderate deficiency, and severe deficiency. No differences regarding demographic and clinical characteristics were found. A survival analysis highlighted that, after 10 days of hospitalization, severe vitamin D deficiency patients had a 50% mortality probability, while those with vitamin D ≥ 10 ng/mL had a 5% mortality risk (p = 0.019).

Conclusions
High prevalence of hypovitaminosis D was found in COVID-19 patients with acute respiratory failure, treated in a RICU. Patients with severe vitamin D deficiency had a significantly higher mortality risk. Severe vitamin D deficiency may be a marker of poor prognosis in these patients, suggesting that adjunctive treatment might improve disease outcomes.

8 minutes ago, MC Fresh Breath said:

So what you're saying is I should buy stock in sunblock and aloe vera and go grab some milk before everyone starts hoarding it?

J/K

Interesting observational study. W/o spending a lot of time looking into the particulars, it would seem that deficiency (immunity, vitamin absorption) in general is common among older folks.

8 minutes ago, MC Fresh Breath said:

Yeah, obviously larger scale studies needed, but interesting at any rate.  Edit: and if remotely true, winter gets worse than we may have thought.

The lack of focus on the importance of vitamin D to the immune system until the last few years has been in my opinion a failure of the medical/research community. There’s an evolutionary reason people from Nigeria have very dark skin and the Irish are pasty white and it has nothing to do with what racists think. 

2 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

In other bad news, a UT model is predicting 15,000 more Covid deaths in Texas by the end of August.

'sip study

UT modelers base their projection on current social distancing data they glean from geolocation cell phone data. An anomaly in the data may account for the high prediction. On July 27th, the state reported 1,202 deaths. The modelers believe this may be causing something unusual happening in their model.

It's pretty clear from the story that the modelers suspect the model is wrong.

The lack of focus on the importance of vitamin D to the immune system until the last few years has been in my opinion a failure of the medical/research community. There’s an evolutionary reason people from Nigeria have very dark skin and the Irish are pasty white and it has nothing to do with what racists think. 
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3

I don’t know why but I just assumed bill Nye would have a more modern looking kitchen.

I do appreciate that he tried to dumb down for white supremacists the reason why different parts of our species have different colored skin.    But they’re still not gonna get it.  

I’m consistently amazed at how white southerners can’t shut the fuck up about their European heritage and yet completely disregard the way in Which Europe conducts its self with regard to social issues in this pandemic.  They all want to be Northern European until some doctor  from Norway ask them to put on a mask.  

3 minutes ago, Dark Horse said:

UT’s model has always shown the highest number of deaths on all the models listed on FiveThirtyEight.

I think Youyang Gu’s has tracked the most accurately. He’s predicting 20k deaths in Texas by Nov 1.

not true at all.  it was the lowest at times, because there were times that cellphone data movement was WAY down.  you can go back and look at their forecasts by date (drop down at the top) and see.

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/covid-forecasts/

So I talked to an old friend of mine from high school for the first time in a few years. He apparently got conned by trump and he’s now a devoted member of the quote. Anyways, he was telling me this covid pandemic is really a liberal hoax to hide the real virus. Abortion. Yes. He thinks there’s an epidemic of.....abortions. 

• Like 2

So I talked to an old friend of mine from high school for the first time in a few years. He apparently got conned by trump and he’s now a devoted member of the quote. Anyways, he was telling me this covid pandemic is really a liberal hoax to hide the real virus. Abortion. Yes. He thinks there’s an epidemic of.....abortions. 
We're aborting octogenarians!
  • Haha 1

Haven't seen it posted here yet, but a new study was published on Friday on the efficacy of different face masks and materials for blocking COVID droplets

link

The notable finding is that fleece face coverings and the popular neck gator option were measured to actually create mordroplets than not wearing a mask at all - that is to say they are worse than wearing a mask. 

Screen Shot 2020-08-10 at 3.36.09 PM.png

• Like 1