CR: COVID-19 --Political Talk

Mrs Whiggins

My wife "teaches" at an art preschool.  8 kids in the class, 4 hours per day.  I don't know how many other classes there are, but several.  No cases yet, and they're 3.5 weeks in.

They do try to screen via temperature on everyone who walks in the building, but as we know, body temp isn't all that reliable an indicator.  Teachers wear masks + shields, kids wash hands religiously.  At least half their class time is outside, on dedicated covered private porches for each classroom, and each classroom has its own bathroom.

I'm not thrilled, but it seems to be relatively low risk so far.

18 hours ago, sachick said:

The only reasoning I can think of for his down playing, doing nothing and not listening to experts is because he was scared of how it would affect his reelection chances. But the dumbass didn't/doesn't realize if he would have a strong response and our numbers were really good, he would have sailed his way into reelection. He had the opportunity to use the virus and, like everything else handed to him, he blew it. 

It's even simpler than that.  How does a child's mind deal with a threat it doesn't want to acknowledge?  He pretends that it doesn't exist.  "LA LA LA I CAN'T HEAR YOU!"  It's not more complicated than that.  He's an infantile intellect, and he performs accordingly.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

It's even simpler than that.  How does a child's mind deal with a threat it doesn't want to acknowledge?  He pretends that it doesn't exist.  "LA LA LA I CAN'T HEAR YOU!"  It's not more complicated than that.  He's an infantile intellect, and he performs accordingly.

This.  I said it before, but he is incapable of thinking more than a few hours ahead.  There is no critical thinking whatsoever.  

51 minutes ago, Pig Bellmont said:

Give it 4-6 weeks. Remember when all the articles came out 2 weeks after Florida fully re opened and everyone in right wing media was all “WhErE iS tHe ApOlOgY for DeSantis?” And then about a month later things went fucking haywire and hospitalizations and deaths followed. Well, now Texas, but with kids. 

The kids won't die (it is like a .01 to .03 mortality rate for school age, age ranges). Not to say there won't be cases but CDC shows that ~80% of those <30 are asymptomatic (and 40% overall) so only way you will know full scope would be to test every kid on a regular basis which considering some places will only test if you are showing symptoms etc will be highly unlikely.

I'd be worried a lot more about the staff, support workers & parents/grandparents that kids might expose to CV19 than the kids themselves. (those are the ones that will die - especially the grandparents (~10% mortality rate for 70-79 & ~21% for 80+)

Yeah, it will follow the same pattern as the last spike.  Kids will get it in large numbers and then a few weeks later the shit will hit the fan once it has spread to the at risk age groups.  Hopefully it won't be as bad this time because of mask usage, but we are going to find out the hard way once again.

Edited by kevwun
  • Hook 'Em 1

48 minutes ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

Our district has been in session for two and a half weeks. The cases are beginning to trickle in, but not in a super spreader type of growth thus far. I think the ratio of face to face to online is about 60 to 40, so that may be assisting. I am expecting it to climb slowly and then release like a mofo in another month when the parents begin to catch it. Each of the various campuses has cases and we already had community spread.

This. Also children are less likely to be symptomatic.  I'm not saying that nonsense about Covid being harmless to them, just that more children infected with the virus will be asymptomatic carriers than adults infected with the virus.  Meanwhile, they're taking the virus home with them.  Wait a few weeks until their family members start getting sick and there will likely and sadly be an increase in cases.

47 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Yep. Intellectually and emotionally he's a child. It's easy to understand and predict his actions when you understand that. He calls people names, he throws tantrums when he doesn't get his way, he won't take responsibility for anything, he blames others for everything. "It's not my fault!" You know how, when a child does some silly thing that makes the adults laugh, they do it over and over again hoping to keep getting that reward? That's Trump hugging the flag. He's nothing but a big fat fucking overgrown bratty child. 

1d544288056e94baeef478c8debe61a0.jpg

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Yep. Intellectually and emotionally he's a child. It's easy to understand and predict his actions when you understand that. He calls people names, he throws tantrums when he doesn't get his way, he won't take responsibility for anything, he blames others for everything. "It's not my fault!" You know how, when a child does some silly thing that makes the adults laugh, they do it over and over again hoping to keep getting that reward? That's Trump hugging the flag. He's nothing but a big fat fucking overgrown bratty child. 

1d544288056e94baeef478c8debe61a0.jpg

I mean.....that anyone can look at that fucking image and not want to puke at what a juvenile POS he is.....I truly don't understand.

Children act like petulant shits because their parents do not teach the child properly. Trump is Trump because people allow him to be. Growing up it was because of money. Now, it's for political reasons. Trump isn't the first narcissistic piece of shit in the world, there are many, it's just most are curtailed by societal decency. The grown ups in the room who continue to let this happen are the problem, not Trump. They're all fucking complicit. McConnell, Cruz, Bush, anyone at Fox News, even many democrats and CNN, MSNBC, etc. All these pussies stayed quiet because doing so helped themselves. They'll justify it to themselves somehow, oh it's not my place, the people elected him, etc. But when illegal shit started happening, the respect the office shit should have been put on the shelf, and the stay quiet for the party should have stopped. Mitt Romney is a good man. John McCain was a good man. They recognized the atrocious thing ruining our country and spoke up. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Children act like petulant shits because their parents do not teach the child properly. Trump is Trump because people allow him to be. Growing up it was because of money. Now, it's for political reasons. Trump isn't the first narcissistic piece of shit in the world, there are many, it's just most are curtailed by societal decency. The grown ups in the room who continue to let this happen are the problem, not Trump. They're all fucking complicit. McConnell, Cruz, Bush, anyone at Fox News, even many democrats and CNN, MSNBC, etc. All these pussies stayed quiet because doing so helped themselves. They'll justify it to themselves somehow, oh it's not my place, the people elected him, etc. But when illegal shit started happening, the respect the office shit should have been put on the shelf, and the stay quiet for the party should have stopped. Mitt Romney is a good man. John McCain was a good man. They recognized the atrocious thing ruining our country and spoke up. 
Agree, but out of curiosity, what did Bush do? Supposedly, none of the Bushes of consequence voted for Trump in 2016 and aren't planning on doing it this year either.

9 minutes ago, FondrenRoad said:
19 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

Read more  

Agree, but out of curiosity, what did Bush do? Supposedly, none of the Bushes of consequence voted for Trump in 2016 and aren't planning on doing it this year either.

Bush hasn’t come out against Trump. I think Bush is a good man and I think his silence is not a good thing. I understand he doesn’t want to hurt the party or maybe he feels it’s not his place as a former president but he could do more in my opinion. 

• Hook 'Em 1

19 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

Bush hasn’t come out against Trump. I think Bush is a good man and I think his silence is not a good thing. I understand he doesn’t want to hurt the party or maybe he feels it’s not his place as a former president but he could do more in my opinion. 

While of course it wouldn’t be a bad thing for Biden if W came out against Trump, I don’t think it would make a meaningful difference in the outcome of the election.  Enough reputable Republicans have denounced Trump without truly affecting his base that adding W to the list would not move the needle.  I actually cannot think of anything that could come out (whether it’s someone denouncing him, or something Trump himself says/does) that would cause any meaningful number of Trump voters to change their minds.  Video of him saying the N word while cheating on his wife while admitting he is a Russian asset could come out, and his base wouldn’t flinch.

42 minutes ago, kevwun said:

A good man would not stand idly by during this.  It's still party before country with him.

Don't forget how much money the GOPs give obedient collaborators on the speaking circuit. I don't know how good of a man W is. I don't think he's evil, but he didn't shy away from riding his daddy's coattails to get sweetheart jobs and deals to make his fortune. Same with Jeb.

They're non-entities without Daddy.

Based on the information we have gathered, the known “close contacts” to the confirmed case have been or are currently being notified. Please refer to TEA’s full definition of aclose contact.”

Out of an abundance of caution, we advise you to monitor for symptoms as outlined in the Eanes ISD Health Services Management Plan and follow the CDC Public Health Guidance. There is a 14-day incubation period for anyone possibly exposed to the confirmed case. Contact your primary care physician if you develop symptoms and notify the school should you or your child test positive for COVID-19. 

These recordings of Trump being interviewed by Bob Woodward are damning.  Woodward has achieved a career bookend to his work in taking down President Nixon via "Deep Throat".
Trump knew on FEBRUARY 7 that the virus was airborne, and that it was not only far more serious than the flu but that it was likely to cause great suffering in the American public.
He.  Did.  Nothing.  
He continued to downplay the severity of the virus for months, and in mid-March, revealed to Woodward that he knew it was a threat to people of all ages, something he STILL denies publicly.
This man needs to be taken from office today and imprisoned for the rest of his miserable fucking life.  There is no more defense.  None.
It will mean nothing. Not a single mind will change.

14 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

That teacher's school district is all virtual right now FWIW. 

Yeah....that story being put out with the clear implication that this was a school-related infection is really, really shitty.  She was at the school for one training session weeks ago.  She hasn't been exposed to, or exposed herself to, students.  So, it's functionally a non-story. 

Goddamit headlines like that piss me off.  Half-truths are lies.

• Hook 'Em 3

10 minutes ago, 4th&Five said:

Well, to be fair by late February, there were other more reliable sources (CIDRAP) that pretty much were spot on with the threat.  To tell you the truth I didn't even pay any mind to CDC or the executive branch  except for amusement if that is the right word for such a circumstance.

2 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Yeah....that story being put out with the clear implication that this was a school-related infection is really, really shitty.  She was at the school for one training session weeks ago.  She hasn't been exposed to, or exposed herself to, students.  So, it's functionally a non-story. 

Better that they just got the actual facts out there without the misdirection.  However, this tells us that there will be other cases like this that will be tied to contraction of Covid at school where there is person to person contact. 

I would urge you all to give a listen to the Osterholm update podcast over at CIDRAP from last week (he is probably coming out with a new one today, as well).  He is normally pretty guarded and qualified in his opinions on projections but was especially not so on that podcast wrt schools opening up and the next few months.  Pretty grim.

Actually, I would make listening to that podcast a weekly ritual if you want to be informed about COVID.  Michael Osterholm is a got dammed national treasure-better than Faucci, better than Cats, and better than Surly.

Linky for last week:

https://www.cidrap.umn.edu/covid-19/podcasts-webinars/episode-22

4 hours ago, RomaVicta said:

Don't forget how much money the GOPs give obedient collaborators on the speaking circuit. I don't know how good of a man W is. I don't think he's evil, but he didn't shy away from riding his daddy's coattails to get sweetheart jobs and deals to make his fortune. Same with Jeb.

They're non-entities without Daddy.

I definitely think he's evil. Just wrapped up in an aww shucks wrapper. 

How anyone can go over the Snowden revelations that occurred under this man's watch and not see him as self serving and evil is beyond me. He took a giant step towards America becoming a surveillance state equal to the likes of China. 

7 minutes ago, Wanker Bob said:

I definitely think he's evil. Just wrapped up in an aww shucks wrapper. 

How anyone can go over the Snowden revelations that occurred under this man's watch and not see him as self serving and evil is beyond me. He took a giant step towards America becoming a surveillance state equal to the likes of China. 

All true, and not to "but Obama", but he doubled down on that shit too.  But to be fair, he had a lot on his plate, like letting all the Wall Street crooks off Scott free.

1 minute ago, Jiggy-Z said:

All true, and not to "but Obama", but he doubled down on that shit too.  But to be fair, he had a lot on his plate, like letting all the Wall Street crooks off Scott free.

That is the biggest disappoint I have with Obama. He had a chance to walk back a lot of that and instead he went full steam ahead with it. Now it'll never be walked back

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Wanker Bob said:

That is the biggest disappoint I have with Obama. He had a chance to walk back a lot of that and instead he went full steam ahead with it. Now it'll never be walked back

Its kind of funny that the problems I have with Obama are from him doing "republican" things.  If I am being honest, I also have a problem with ACA as it has been financially almost catastrophic for me as the years go by from a slow drip bleeding kind of way.  I think there was just not the political capital there to get ACA done right and he overplayed his hand.  Of course, ACA could have succeeded had there been the even the slightest republican inclination to help or at least not try to torpedo the whole thing.  But he was a smart guy with a good team and should have weighed the risk better. But that is a whole other discussion.  I think it would have been pretty awesome to have a good system for heath care up and in place for a pandemic though.

2 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

But that ratio yo!

10 hours ago, Jiggy-Z said:

Its kind of funny that the problems I have with Obama are from him doing "republican" things.  If I am being honest, I also have a problem with ACA as it has been financially almost catastrophic for me as the years go by from a slow drip bleeding kind of way.  I think there was just not the political capital there to get ACA done right and he overplayed his hand.  Of course, ACA could have succeeded had there been the even the slightest republican inclination to help or at least not try to torpedo the whole thing.  But he was a smart guy with a good team and should have weighed the risk better. But that is a whole other discussion.  I think it would have been pretty awesome to have a good system for heath care up and in place for a pandemic though.

One thing that I can only laugh about now is seeing the same people who kept saying ACA would result in "death panels" deciding who gets treatment which would result in older people dying needlessly; fast forward 10 years and these same people keep talking about how low risk covid is for the under 65 crowd and old people dying is just the cost of business during the pandemic.

I don’t understand the white washing of W. Dude was a war criminal 

On 9/10/2020 at 10:24 AM, Neonmoon said:

Here’s a hint: Bush isn’t a good man. I don’t see how anyone could possibly think such a thing. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 4

I've been taking both D and C for months now -- I don't recall if it was Fauci who I first heard regarding the efficacy of doing so, but it was definitely in the context of the coronavirus.

Do you suppose we could stop looking for "gotchas" on Fauci, demanding that his work be not only unassailable but also 100% comprehensive?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3

25 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

I've been taking both D and C for months now -- I don't recall if it was Fauci who I first heard regarding the efficacy of doing so, but it was definitely in the context of the coronavirus.

Do you suppose we could stop looking for "gotchas" on Fauci, demanding that his work be not only unassailable but also 100% comprehensive?

Even a hint of an actual organized directive and sense of urgency from Fauci would be appreciated.  He's a milquetoast.  Just my observation.

With ongoing mounting evidence like this re covid and Vit D - Oral calcifediol, the main metabolite of vitamin D3, reduced ICU admission from 50% to 2% among Covid-19 patients - add this to the known list of available generic and safe options that should have led us out of this much farther by now.  smh.