CR: COVID-19 --Political Talk

Mrs Whiggins

8 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

It's all in the Mueller thread.  Have at it.  I'm not rehashing it here.

Just looked at the last 2 pages. I don’t see any protecting Russia. Unless you think criticism of some of the tactics used by the investigators = protecting Russia? You might want to connect those dots for us. Or not. Based on my quick perusal though I don’t see any reason for him to defend himself from your accusation.

5 minutes ago, Sawbonz said:

Just looked at the last 2 pages. I don’t see any protecting Russia. Unless you think criticism of some of the tactics used by the investigators = protecting Russia? You might want to connect those dots for us. Or not. Based on my quick perusal though I don’t see any reason for him to defend himself from your accusation.

30831936-af21-47e9-a83e-ab613edb12cc_tex

If you've paid any attention to him over the years, he is quick to attack any intelligence apparatus and ignore the larger points that Russia clearly interfered in 2016 and onward.  He has a boner for Carter Page and FISA warrants, which it came out recently that the only malfeasance connected to that was an FBI agent changing one sentence in one email to get the FISA warrant renewed for the 4th time.  Seriously, it doesn't warrant further discussion in this thread.

5 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

30831936-af21-47e9-a83e-ab613edb12cc_tex

If you've paid any attention to him over the years, he is quick to attack any intelligence apparatus and ignore the larger points that Russia clearly interfered in 2016 and onward.  He has a boner for Carter Page and FISA warrants, which it came out recently that the only malfeasance connected to that was an FBI agent changing one sentence in one email to get the FISA warrant renewed for the 4th time.  Seriously, it doesn't warrant further discussion in this thread.

Other than that Mrs Lincoln how did you enjoy the play? 

I remember anastasis all the way back to horn fans as consistently worried about the bad actors in our IC. And there are plenty of examples going back decades. It’s a pretty far reach IMO to take that and turn it into advocating for Russia. Just my opinion

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Anastasis said:

"But the server logs. But Mueller. Wild game wet markets are just like doggy kisses. Why you love Russsssia!!"

anastasia bringing back the hits that haven't been relevant for years while our government is committing medical atrocities and botching the response to a pandemic, while boosting white nationalism.

Both sides, indeed. 

Must not be fucking over enough people's healthcare if you've got enough time to bothsides here

9 minutes ago, Sawbonz said:

I remember anastasis all the way back to horn fans as consistently worried about the bad actors in our IC. And there are plenty of examples going back decades. It’s a pretty far reach IMO to take that and turn it into advocating for Russia. Just my opinion

jesus fucking christ, this thread has turned into more of an abortion.

anastasis, as much as he and i might disagree on some shit and where that shit should be hashed out, has been consistent. 

however, fondren and him just got their wires crossed. by "misinformation," fondren meant russian misinfo. anastasis made that out to be something different, entirely, i estimate, by mistake. of course, china is a big misinformation source, but that's not what fondren meant, and if anastasis had thought a bit before responding, he would have ascertained that.

and what fondren meant by triple and anastasis doing some russian lifting, he simply meant that they are parroting some russian propaganda. that doesn't make anastasis wrong to doubt our intel community. it's just parallel to a message russia is amplifying. triple and the hcq is another story, and i don't quite know what to make of it. 

• Hook 'Em 3

Let it go sawbonz, you won't be able to extract the brain worms. 

And Ant, I didn't bring up Mueller or Russia or any of this nonsense, you can thank Fondren for that.  I do like that you reflex any time a server is mentioned though.

The "Anastasis is to blame for posters on this board huffing server conspiracy theories, chugging HCQ, and posting videos with embedded anti-mask wearing messaging." is certainly a novel take for you guys though.

4 minutes ago, hayden_horn said:

and what fondren meant by triple and anastasis doing some russian lifting, he simply meant that they are parroting some russian propaganda.

"This is not that fucking hard. It's a piece of cloth. You put it over your face so that you aren't breathing your covid (and other) fucking germs on everything. This is not an assault on your liberty. It is not an assault on your person hood or humanity.  It is simply asking you to take one small step to ending this fucking pandemic."

"There is no strong and decisive evidence that HCQ is effective in any phase of COVID."

"Stop parroting Russian propaganda on surlyhorns!!"

1 minute ago, Anastasis said:

"This is not that fucking hard. It's a piece of cloth. You put it over your face so that you aren't breathing your covid (and other) fucking germs on everything. This is not an assault on your liberty. It is not an assault on your person hood or humanity.  It is simply asking you to take one small step to ending this fucking pandemic."

"There is no strong and decisive evidence that HCQ is effective in any phase of COVID."

"Stop parroting Russian propaganda on surlyhorns!!"

ok, dude, i was giving you the benefit of the fucking doubt. wtf. that's obviously not to what i was referring. i was referring to doubting our intel community. don't misrepresent my shit like that. 

30 minutes ago, Sawbonz said:

We're all concerned about bad actors in our IC. 

12 minutes ago, hayden_horn said:

ok, dude, i was giving you the benefit of the fucking doubt. wtf. that's obviously not to what i was referring. i was referring to doubting our intel community. don't misrepresent my shit like that. 

The quote was intended to be in the voice of FR, which is what you were characterizing in the portion I quoted. Sorry if that missed the mark. 

Edited by Anastasis
  • Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

The quote was intended to be in the voice of FR, which is what you were characterizing in the portion I quoted. Sorry if that missed the mark. 

ok, all good, bro. just crusty handling aisd zoom while trying to work. i haven't smoked for most of this year, but if i did:

ad44ad2c98fbeb82b0a9589b1fecbd16_large.p

• Hook 'Em 2

7 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

We're all concerned about bad actors in our IC. 

I believe you are. And I believe anastasis is. I believe many folks are willing to look the other way when the IC uses less than legal (or downright illegal) methods to “protect” the US from foreign actors. And that is somewhat defensible depending on level of threat and type of tactics used

Apparently some also seem to want to look the other way when such tactics are applied domestically. That is a precedent we must do our best to keep from being set IMO, no matter how nefarious the acts being investigated may be. If it requires criminal behavior to stop criminal behavior, what does it matter who is in charge?

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, hayden_horn said:

just crusty handling aisd zoom while trying to work.

Tell me about it man. My kids need to get back in F2F ASAP. Shit ain't working for the middle one especially. Thus my continued frustration with anti-mask wearing messaging. I don't think that Ivor Cummings and the like-minded band of twitter HCQ adjacent dip shits are Kremlin operatives pushing Russian messaging. I think that is just brain worms on display.   

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Anastasis said:

Tell me about it man. My kids need to get back in F2F ASAP. Shit ain't working for the middle one especially. Thus my continued frustration with anti-mask wearing messaging. I don't think that Ivor Cummings and the like-minded band of twitter HCQ adjacent dip shits are Kremlin operatives pushing Russian messaging. I think that is just brain worms on display.   

i think that the russians have attached to q and other messages that coincide with things about which we should actually be concerned. like your concern with the intel community. it's a lot like this:

15 minutes ago, 4th&Five said:

In the article it mentions that Congress passed some funding for the postal service but the Senate is ahem...not doing anything. Guess they are just interested in paying for judges.

2 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

I agree w/ respect to Ivor, Doug G Frank, etc. We're all experts now and we have the "likes/thumbs up/retweets" to prove it!

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

Why didn't you post the other tweets he posted on the same day?

As was posted above, more info and more mask availability changed the discourse over time.

Thanks for the post. Check in here every now and then the last 2 pages were diahrrea.

masks, gloves, hand sanitizer were all in short supply and hospital staff/first responders needed them. His stay at home message being conveniently ignored in the post was weak

37 minutes ago, 4th&Five said:

Why does every damn thing have to have his name on it?  I realize he wants it.  Stimulus check sent to my dead father had his name on it.  Government communication should be from the US government, not re-branded as largess from Dear Leader.

I didn't get this card.  Maybe it got sidelined next to the pallet of dead chicks in the mail.  Makes sense that his guidelines would fit on a postcard though:

1. Don't wear a mask, it's not manly
2. Liberate <Fill in your state here>!
3. Own the libtards!

16 minutes ago, 27-25 said:

Why does every damn thing have to have his name on it?  I realize he wants it.  Stimulus check sent to my dead father had his name on it.  Government communication should be from the US government, not re-branded as largess from Dear Leader.

I didn't get this card.  Maybe it got sidelined next to the pallet of dead chicks in the mail.  Makes sense that his guidelines would fit on a postcard though:

1. Don't wear a mask, it's not manly
2. Liberate <Fill in your state here>!
3. Own the libtards!

Breaking News!

He’s somewhat of a narcissistic sociopath. Just a bit. 

• Hook 'Em 1

https://arstechnica.com/science/2020/09/bonkers-federal-podcast-downplays-covid-19-blasts-health-restrictions/

In a stunning podcast released by the Department of Health and Human Services, two top officials at the department repeatedly downplayed the COVID-19 pandemic, railed against mitigation efforts, called closures of in-person schooling “nonsense,” and said US journalists do not “[give] a damn about public health information.”

The podcast, released on the HHS website September 11, is part of a series hosted by Michael Caputo, who currently holds the title of HHS assistant secretary of public affairs. Though Caputo has no background in health care, the White House installed him in the department in April—a move reportedly made to assert more White House control over HHS Secretary Alex Azar. Caputo is a longtime Trump loyalist and former campaign official. He got his start as a protégé of Roger Stone and later worked as a Moscow-based advisor to Boris Yeltsin and did public relations work for Vladimir Putin.

Caputo has most recently made headlines for working to interfere with and alter scientific reports on COVID-19 prepared by researchers at the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. The meddling was intended to make reports more in line with messaging from Trump, who has admitted to downplaying the pandemic. Caputo also raised eyebrows with a Facebook live video, reported by The New York Times Monday, in which, without evidence, he accused government scientists of engaging in “sedition” and claimed that the CDC is harboring a “resistance unit.” He also spoke of long “shadows” in his DC apartment and said left-wing “hit-squads” were preparing for armed insurrection after the election.

Spoiler

With his slightly more upbeat HHS podcast series, The Learning Curve, Caputo spotlights the work of HHS officials so that listeners can “learn from the people that I am learning from.” In the September 11 episode—in which he notably calls government scientists “an incredible group of experts”—Caputo spoke with Elinore McCance-Katz, head of the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA), which is a branch of the HHS.

McCance-Katz, who Caputo described as “one of the angels of the department,” is a psychiatrist and holds a PhD from Yale in infectious disease epidemiology. She was the chief medical officer of SAMHSA during the Obama administration but resigned after two years saying SAMHSA wasn’t doing enough to treat people with serious mental illnesses. The Trump administration reappointed her to the agency in 2017, and she has since publicly aligned with some of Trump’s views on the pandemic.

In the podcast, Caputo and McCance-Katz’s conversation began unremarkably, with the two discussing the opioid epidemic and related HHS efforts. But about 20 minutes into the hour-long episode, the discussion shifted to criticism of stay-at-home orders and other mitigation efforts. Both Caputo and McCance-Katz suggested that stay-at-home orders were unnecessary and only exacerbated the mental toll the pandemic is having on Americans.

“Nonsense”

Though public health experts have long noted that lockdowns are indeed draconian, they also acknowledge that they’ve been necessary to curb the insidious spread of the novel coronavirus, SARS-CoV-2. Such movement restrictions and distancing measures have largely been effective at controlling outbreaks in countries worldwide—apart from in the United States, of course, which has failed spectacularly at managing the deadly pandemic.

Still, Caputo and McCance-Katz dismissed the mitigation strategy as one promoted only by rich people, who can easily manage to stay at home. “The people who say ‘It’s safer at home. Stay at home,’ tend to be people who are fairly affluent,” Caputo said.

“Yeah, it probably is safer at home for them,” McCance-Katz responded. “They go to some nice house, some big house with all the amenities.”

They went on to suggest that activities such as going to a football game or a movie theater are mainly enjoyed by people of the “lower strata of our economic system" and that is why those activities have been restricted. Meanwhile, “wealthy people with the house on the beach, they’re watching Netflix and every other streaming platform,” Caputo added. People who are essential workers, such as those who work in hospitals, “don’t have access to these subscriptions,” he said.

“And I’ll just, I’m going to say it,” McCance-Katz said soon after. “We shut down the entire country before the virus, in my opinion, had a chance to get around the entire country. Why?” The stay-at-home orders are akin to using “a sledge hammer when I think we needed a scalpel,” she added.

Caputo agreed, saying, “No doubt. And you know what? To me, the damage is done.”

Death and despair

The two go on to discuss the pandemic’s impact on children, expressing disgust that in-person learning has been suspended in many places to try to curb disease spread. “What is this nonsense that somehow it’s unsafe to return to school?” McCance-Katz asked after noting that most children infected with SARS-CoV-2 do not get seriously ill. Though moments before they noted that people in the “lower strata” often live in more crowded, multigenerational homes, they failed to discuss the risk of children passing on the virus to family members and other people in their communities.

Caputo—who, as noted, has been interfering with CDC’s scientific reports on the pandemic—moved on to blaming the US media for being “dishonest” and warping the public’s perception of the virus. He also blamed the media for “knocking the president” and “trampling” optimism over COVID-19 treatments and vaccines. “I don't think the United States media gives a damn about public health information,” he said.

“I don’t, too,” McCance-Katz responded.

Toward the end, McCance-Katz offered a lighter outlook. Though she speculated that “thousands” might die from pandemic-related despair, she argued that Americans are resilient and that “the despair will abate.”

Caputo, however, ended on a darker, confusing note. Though he had spent much of the episode downplaying the pandemic, he concluded by emphasizing the seriousness of COVID-19 and its death toll. “I find myself every morning, the first time I use my voice, I’m talking about death,” he said.

“We hear reports in our meetings... These people [with COVID-19], they drown in their own fluids,” he said. “And the doctors have told me that it is the most profound fear that one can have. And that the looks on their faces when they’re dying is just something that they can't forget. These doctors can’t forget it. And the way—and I talk—this is the first thing I talk about in the morning.”

According to a fresh report by Politico, Caputo called an emergency staff meeting Tuesday to apologize to HHS employees about his comments on the Facebook live video, in which he claimed the CDC was harboring a “resistance unit.” Some HHS staff told Politico they got the impression Caputo planned to step down.

To date, the United States has reported more than 6.5 million cases of COVID-19 and over 195,000 deaths.

8 hours ago, JimmyJames said:

I am personally glad that last night I was watching football, then sleeping, as opposed to reading and posting on this thread, and drinking. 

What you really need to know is that doggy kisses are a threat to human existence. Because disinformation and things. 

• Haha 1

THE CITY (@THECITYNY) Tweeted:
NEW: An estimated 70,000 New Yorkers struggling with unexplained long-term symptoms of COVID-19. Many “long haulers” face challenges beyond illness. https://t.co/8QrZGKKhHI

College football with thousands of fans in the stadium and no bubble protocol is irresponsible. Not just for the players, but for the communities where the games are played. 

19 minutes ago, Captainant said:

They're providing plenty of disinformation for the idiots to regurgitate. Shit, bannon disinformation from zerohedge is being used to propogate that china made and released COVID just over in the DT medical thread. 

You've read my opinion of that work then. I was not aware of the connection to Bannon though, so thanks for pointing that out. 

14 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

You've read my opinion of that work then. I was not aware of the connection to Bannon though, so thanks for pointing that out. 

I have and I'm glad that you have enough expertise to call bullshit, but that's exactly the mechanism used to disinform otherwise uninformed folks. It's laundering a legitimate looking finding through a legitimate looking academic to further a messaging agenda.

The academic in question, Dr. Yan Limeng, has already had her claims publicly denounced by the University of Hong Kong and appears to have lied about her first hand experience WRT covid. Dr. Yan has been spotted at Guo Wengui's villa in NY (the source on this is state chinese media, so big grain of salt, but it was published back in May) - the same Guo whose yacht Bannon was found on by USPS agents when they arrested him for felony fraud.

I'm calling tinfoil on myself because it all seems fantastical and like a movie, but given what we know about bannon's stance on the use of disinformation to push a narrative and our proximity to an election... This seems like genuine propaganda efforts on the part of Bannon and Guo.

Edited by Captainant

22 hours ago, hayden_horn said:

anastasis, as much as he and i might disagree on some shit and where that shit should be hashed out, has been consistent. 

however, fondren and him just got their wires crossed. by "misinformation," fondren meant russian misinfo. anastasis made that out to be something different, entirely, i estimate, by mistake. of course, china is a big misinformation source, but that's not what fondren meant, and if anastasis had thought a bit before responding, he would have ascertained that.

and what fondren meant by triple and anastasis doing some russian lifting, he simply meant that they are parroting some russian propaganda. that doesn't make anastasis wrong to doubt our intel community. it's just parallel to a message russia is amplifying. triple and the hcq is another story, and i don't quite know what to make of it. 

I read that as wives crossed at first, and kinda understood the bad blood after that.

Per worldmeters, the US had reached 200,667 deaths. 

Texas sits in 3rd place with 14,730 with Cali right behind at 14,615. Texas and California will pass New Jersey's 16,166 before the end of the month. 

Thankfully hospitalizations appear to be going down in some places. 

wear a mask. 

2 hours ago, Captainant said:

I have and I'm glad that you have enough expertise to call bullshit, but that's exactly the mechanism used to disinform otherwise uninformed folks. It's laundering a legitimate looking finding through a legitimate looking academic to further a messaging agenda.

The academic in question, Dr. Yan Limeng, has already had her claims publicly denounced by the University of Hong Kong and appears to have lied about her first hand experience WRT covid. Dr. Yan has been spotted at Guo Wengui's villa in NY (the source on this is state chinese media, so big grain of salt, but it was published back in May) - the same Guo whose yacht Bannon was found on by USPS agents when they arrested him for felony fraud.

The calls are coming from inside the house?

Anyways, doesn't require any particular subject matter expertise on that one.  When the pre-print abstract leans into "There is a conspiracy among peer-reviewed science to censor our findings." you can pretty much stop reading right there. 

I made the mistake. Expecting an ocean of negs for cloakrooming it up. Seriously how much more evidence to these fucking people need that this isn’t “just the flu”!?!? I’ve been hounding a few of my friends (mid-upper 20’s) for going to the gym and hopping around the bar scene. Shit those stupid mother fuckers went to an outdoor concert in south padre then took part in the trump boat parade. Yeah yeah I know. “Find some new friends!”  They’re good dudes they’re just beyond fucking stupid. One of em went to blinn for a year, had like a 2.4 gpa there then transferred to tech. He graduated with a 3.2......

Our public education system is a fucking disgrace 

On 9/15/2020 at 11:44 AM, hayden_horn said:

To be clear, triple falls for Russian propaganda. Anastasis works to make sure that Russian propaganda can always continue unabated.

In this case, Anastasis isn't happy with the outcome, but when you train pit bulls to fight, eventually one is going to bite you. 

Perhaps Anastasis needs to ask Putin for a transfer to the content team.  Surely, his fine work on the protection and obfuscation team will be rewarded. 

22 minutes ago, BehoId, The Underminer! said:

This guy is a Trump fan?  Get right out of town!

Yeah. He’s one of those guys who grew up with Fox News on all day. But he doesn’t vote and in normal times, he’s just a guy. But yeah at the moment we’re all suffering from his stupidity