CR: COVID-19 --Political Talk

Mrs Whiggins

3 hours ago, FondrenRoad said:

To be clear, triple falls for Russian propaganda. Anastasis works to make sure that Russian propaganda can always continue unabated.

In this case, Anastasis isn't happy with the outcome, but when you train pit bulls to fight, eventually one is going to bite you. 

Perhaps Anastasis needs to ask Putin for a transfer to the content team.  Surely, his fine work on the protection and obfuscation team will be rewarded. 

Anastasis: "Wear a mask. Don't listen to HCQ adjacent anti-mask wearing clowns."

Fondren: "Anastasis is on team Putin. Russia Russia Russia."

57 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

Anastasis: "Wear a mask. Don't listen to HCQ adjacent anti-mask wearing clowns."

Fondren: "Anastasis is on team Putin. Russia Russia Russia."

Again, those disinformation clowns are of your making.  Surely when you decided to protect external disinformation peddlers because you thought it benefited you, you also understood that you really had no control over what they may choose to spread in the future.  

Maybe next time man the floodgates with the rest of us instead of trying to actively break them.

22 minutes ago, FondrenRoad said:

Surely when you decided to protect external disinformation peddlers because you thought it benefited you, you also understood that you really had no control over what they may choose to spread in the future.  

It must interesting whatever world you live in.  I hope that the sunsets are nice. 

Russian excess deaths over summer outstrip COVID toll by more than 3 to 1.

The number of excess deaths in Russia between May and July was more than three times higher than the official coronavirus toll, recent government data show, a discrepancy some experts say raises questions about the accuracy of Moscow’s counting.

While Russia has confirmed the world’s fourth largest tally of coronavirus cases, it has a relatively low death toll from the associated disease, COVID-19.

Moscow says the way it classifies deaths is more accurate than other nations. Some Russian health officials have explained that in many cases, a patient who dies with COVID-19 does not necessarily die of it but from other causes including pre-existing health problems.

Tatiana Golikova, the head of Russia’s coronavirus crisis centre, told President Vladimir Putin in late July that Russia’s coronavirus mortality rate was “significantly lower than in a range of other countries”.

But data released by the Rosstat State Statistics Service on Sept. 4 show there were 57,800 excess deaths between May and July, the peak of the outbreak.

The figure was calculated by comparing fatalities over those three months in 2020 with the average number of May-July deaths between 2015 and 2019. The excess total is more than three times greater than the official May-July COVID-19 death toll of 15,955.

In absolute terms, the figure of nearly 60,000 excess deaths from May to July is comparable with the United Kingdom, Europe’s worst-hit country. Russia’s population of 145 million is, however, more than twice that of the UK.

If total Russian deaths from COVID-19 were close to 60,000, it would make it the fifth largest national total globally, from 12th currently, according to Reuters data.

Looks like we know where Trump and Republicans got the idea to reduce the COVID death count by classifying them differently. Wonder what our excess mortality was this summer.

11 hours ago, Jhawkmvp said:

Russian excess deaths over summer outstrip COVID toll by more than 3 to 1.

Looks like we know where Trump and Republicans got the idea to reduce the COVID death count by classifying them differently. Wonder what our excess mortality was this summer.

you don't have to wonder.  cdc updates that information all the time.  whole lotta people dying right now.  what from?   could it be the pandemic?  WHO'S TO SAY?

https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/nvss/vsrr/covid19/excess_deaths.htm

you don't have to wonder.  cdc updates that information all the time.  whole lotta people dying right now.  what from?   could it be the pandemic?  WHO'S TO SAY?

I thought I saw somewhere that there were around 60k additional deaths this year in addition to those we know died from Covid

I thought I saw somewhere that there were around 60k additional deaths this year in addition to those we know died from Covid

/skepticalface

https://www.foxnews.com/media/chinese-virologist-government-intentionally-coronavirus

Chinese virologist: China's government 'intentionally' released COVID-19
'I work[ed] in the WHO reference lab, which is the top coronavirus lab in the world'

The Chinese government intentionally manufactured and released the COVID-19 virus that led to mass shutdowns and deaths across the world, a top virologist and whistleblower told Fox News host Tucker Carlson on Tuesday.

Carlson specifically asked Dr. Li-Meng Yan whether she believed the Chinese Communist Party released the virus "on purpose." "Yes, of course, it's intentionally," she responded on "Tucker Carlson Tonight."

Yan said more evidence would be released but pointed to her own high-ranking position at a World Health Organization reference lab as a reason to trust her allegation.

"I work[ed] in the WHO reference lab, which is the top coronavirus lab in the world, in the University of Hong Kong. And the thing is I get deeply into such investigation in secret from the early beginning of this outbreak. I had my intelligence because I also get my own unit network in China, involved [in] the hospital ... also I work with the top corona[virus] virologist in the world," she said.

"So, together with my experience, I can tell you, this is created in the lab ... and also, it is spread to the world to make such damage."

Yan's comments conflicted with the opinion of Dr. Anthony Fauci, director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases and White House coronavirus adviser, who previously cast doubt on the idea the virus was artificially created. In May, he told National Geographic: "If you look at the evolution of the virus in bats, and what's out there now is very, very strongly leaning toward this [virus] could not have been artificially or deliberately manipulated — the way the mutations have naturally evolved."

Other scientists have panned the idea that COVID-19 served as a sort of bioweapon or was released by a lab.

Fox News previously reported on Yan back in July, when she blew the whistle on China's alleged attempts to suppress information about its handling of the virus. With a vast network of contacts in Chinese medical facilities, Yan attempted to gather more information about the virus as China blocked overseas experts from conducting research in the country.

Her revelations fueled ongoing complaints that the Chinese government failed to tell the world early on about the virus' threat. Specifically, she believes the Chinese government ignored research that could have saved lives. The State Department did not immediately respond to Fox News' request for comment.

In response, her former employer, the University of Hong Kong, criticized her account. A press release noted "that the content of the said news report does not accord with the key facts as we understand them."

"Specifically, Dr Yan never conducted any research on human-to-human transmission of the novel coronavirus at [the University of Hong Kong] during December 2019 and January 2020, her central assertion of the said interview."

Yan, who said she was one of the first scientists in the world to study the novel coronavirus, fled China and currently fears retaliation. She was allegedly asked by her supervisor at the University/WHO reference lab, Dr. Leo Poon, in 2019 to look into the odd cluster of SARS-like cases coming out of mainland China at the end of December 2019.

Fox News' Barnini Chakraborty and Alex Diaz contributed to this report.

Abbott reopening restaurants/retail/offices to 75% capacity except in RGV.  Oh, and nursing homes too.

https://www.texastribune.org/2020/09/17/greg-abbott-texas-coronavirus/

The standard that Abbott unveiled applies to the 19 out of 22 hospital regions in the state where coronavirus patients make up less than 15% of all hospitalizations. In those 19 regions, businesses that have been open at 50% capacity will be permitted to expand to 75% capacity — a group of places that includes retail stores, restaurants and office buildings. Hospitals in those regions will also be allowed to offer normal elective procedures again, and nursing homes can reopen for visitations under certain standards.

The three hospital regions excluded from the new reopening stage are in the Rio Grande Valley, Laredo and Victoria. Abbott said those regions’ hospitalizations are still “in the danger zone.”

At the same time, Abbott said the state was not yet ready to reopen bars, saying they are “nationally recognized as COVID-spreading locations.” He stressed, though, that the state is looking for ways to let bars reopen safely.

Edited by sasquatch69
  • Hook 'Em 1

16 minutes ago, sasquatch69 said:

Abbott reopening restaurants/retail/offices to 75% capacity except in RGV.  Oh, and nursing homes too.

https://www.texastribune.org/2020/09/17/greg-abbott-texas-coronavirus/

Am I the only one that thinks this is incredibly stupid timing?  I expect the impact of the schools re-opening here in Texas to start hitting in earnest about a month after the schools open.  Much like what we saw in Florida, many of the younger folks (party folks in Florida, students here in Texas) will end up being asymptomatic, so while we'll see a modest uptick in positive cases initially, it will take 3-4 weeks for the parents and older people to start catching it, at which point the cases will really start to tick up.  Hopefully increased mask-wearing will keep it from being June / July all over again, but letting people cram into restaurants / offices seems like pouring gas on a small brush fire.  If you look at the graphs at 91-divoc.com, you'll see that we're already starting to see things ramping up over the last few days - the weekly average cases/day had bottomed out at 2,682 three days ago, but has ramped up to 4,187 since.  Perhaps just a blip in the data, but I just don't understand the timing of this move.

Just now, Gap03 said:

Am I the only one that thinks this is incredibly stupid timing?  I expect the impact of the schools re-opening here in Texas to start hitting in earnest about a month after the schools open.  Much like what we saw in Florida, many of the younger folks (party folks in Florida, students here in Texas) will end up being asymptomatic, so while we'll see a modest uptick in positive cases initially, it will take 3-4 weeks for the parents and older people to start catching it, at which point the cases will really start to tick up.  Hopefully increased mask-wearing will keep it from being June / July all over again, but letting people cram into restaurants / offices seems like pouring gas on a small brush fire.  If you look at the graphs at 91-divoc.com, you'll see that we're already starting to see things ramping up over the last few days - the weekly average cases/day had bottomed out at 2,682 three days ago, but has ramped up to 4,187 since.  Perhaps just a blip in the data, but I just don't understand the timing of this move.

I think it all depends on whether infected young people really are a dangerous vector to the broadest population.  We need to monitor that.  But we've already got a lot of data points from places where kids have been in school (elementary to college) for some time, and while they are seeing some uptick in cases among young people, that hasn't translated to large increases in cases in more vulnerable age groups.  But it bears very close watching.

1 minute ago, Gap03 said:

They are tracking the right thing which is hospitalizations. These are going down with the exceptions of a couple of counties. Bars remain closed. It is taking restaurants to 75% along with retail etc.

In terms of offices, this moves does nothing to make large tech companies go back to work. Almost all of them are on record saying June of 2021 as earliest to return.

Keeping bars closed is smart and this was the big nexus for Texas cases booming in the early summer. Data this far showing there hasn't been a post labor day spike either so there is good news on that front as well. This is going to come in ebbs/flows and hopefully people learned that if they fuck up again like last time things opened it'll be shut down once more.

18 minutes ago, Gap03 said:

well, i'm of two thoughts. 

we just had college football with a bunch of people in the stadium. basically we are a week and a half out from seeing if that has any consequences. we are two and a half weeks out of possible in school attendance here in austin, but elsewhere in the state, schools have been in session and shit hasn't gotten too far out of control. but at this point, it seems risky to do this, at this time, because the cost of failure, in my humble opinion, will be greater than if we had waited a couple of weeks.

and we have an established track record of rushing reopening. this could be another such case. i dunno. guess we will see, but i don't anticipate any major changes for me and mine.

• Hook 'Em 1

also, we don't seem to learn lessons best learned elsewhere:

33306218-0-image-a-66_1600356441662.jpg

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8743419/England-Wales-post-21-new-Covid-19-deaths-early-toll.html

Coronavirus cases, hospital admissions and deaths are all on the rise, government figures revealed today as Boris Johnson threatened the nation with tougher lockdown measures unless the outbreak is halted and Britain 'flattens the hump of the camel'.

Another 3,395 Covid-19 infections were recorded today, meaning the rolling seven-day average number of cases has risen 2 per cent in a day and 33 per cent in a week to 3,354. Nearly 4,000 new positive tests were confirmed yesterday, in what was the biggest daily rise since May 8. And data from NHS Test and Trace today revealed 

Hospital admissions — another way of measuring the severity of the crisis — have jumped once again in England, with 194 newly-infected patients requiring NHS care on Tuesday. It means 154 new admissions are being recorded each day, on average — triple the figure of 52 a fortnight ago on September 1. 

2 hours ago, Neonmoon said:

This fucking chode

Fucking hell.  So they're either lying.  Or there's about to be a vaccine in which Mark Meadows is closer to the process than the Director of the CDC and for which there's not a snowball's chance in hell I'm taking for another year after the trumpkins serve as guinea pigs.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, MillerEP said:

Carlson specifically asked Dr. Li-Meng Yan whether she believed the Chinese Communist Party released the virus "on purpose." "Yes, of course, it's intentionally," she responded on "Tucker Carlson Tonight."

Yan said more evidence would be released but pointed to her own high-ranking position at a World Health Organization reference lab as a reason to trust her allegation.

"I work[ed] in the WHO reference lab, which is the top coronavirus lab in the world, in the University of Hong Kong. And the thing is I get deeply into such investigation in secret from the early beginning of this outbreak. I had my intelligence because I also get my own unit network in China, involved [in] the hospital ... also I work with the top corona[virus] virologist in the world," she said.

"So, together with my experience, I can tell you, this is created in the lab ... and also, it is spread to the world to make such damage."

I mean, with such damning evidence, I can immediately believe this.  Especially with her coming on such a vaunted show of truth and honesty like Fucker Tarlson.  

• Hook 'Em 2

3 hours ago, MillerEP said:

/skepticalface

https://www.foxnews.com/media/chinese-virologist-government-intentionally-coronavirus

Chinese virologist: China's government 'intentionally' released COVID-19
'I work[ed] in the WHO reference lab, which is the top coronavirus lab in the world'

The Chinese government intentionally manufactured and released the COVID-19 virus that led to mass shutdowns and deaths across the world, a top virologist and whistleblower told Fox News host Tucker Carlson on Tuesday.

Yan's comments conflicted with the opinion of Dr. Anthony Fauci, director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases and White House coronavirus adviser, who previously cast doubt on the idea the virus was artificially created. In May, he told National Geographic: "If you look at the evolution of the virus in bats, and what's out there now is very, very strongly leaning toward this [virus] could not have been artificially or deliberately manipulated — the way the mutations have naturally evolved."

Other scientists have panned the idea that COVID-19 served as a sort of bioweapon or was released by a lab.

Fox News previously reported on Yan back in July, when she blew the whistle on China's alleged attempts to suppress information about its handling of the virus. With a vast network of contacts in Chinese medical facilities, Yan attempted to gather more information about the virus as China blocked overseas experts from conducting research in the country.

Her revelations fueled ongoing complaints that the Chinese government failed to tell the world early on about the virus' threat. Specifically, she believes the Chinese government ignored research that could have saved lives. The State Department did not immediately respond to Fox News' request for comment.

In response, her former employer, the University of Hong Kong, criticized her account. A press release noted "that the content of the said news report does not accord with the key facts as we understand them."

"Specifically, Dr Yan never conducted any research on human-to-human transmission of the novel coronavirus at [the University of Hong Kong] during December 2019 and January 2020, her central assertion of the said interview."

Yan, who said she was one of the first scientists in the world to study the novel coronavirus, fled China and currently fears retaliation. She was allegedly asked by her supervisor at the University/WHO reference lab, Dr. Leo Poon, in 2019 to look into the odd cluster of SARS-like cases coming out of mainland China at the end of December 2019.

Fox News' Barnini Chakraborty and Alex Diaz contributed to this report.

On 9/16/2020 at 8:47 AM, Captainant said:

I have and I'm glad that you have enough expertise to call bullshit, but that's exactly the mechanism used to disinform otherwise uninformed folks. It's laundering a legitimate looking finding through a legitimate looking academic to further a messaging agenda.

The academic in question, Dr. Yan Limeng, has already had her claims publicly denounced by the University of Hong Kong and appears to have lied about her first hand experience WRT covid. Dr. Yan has been spotted at Guo Wengui's villa in NY (the source on this is state chinese media, so big grain of salt, but it was published back in May) - the same Guo whose yacht Bannon was found on by USPS agents when they arrested him for felony fraud.

I'm calling tinfoil on myself because it all seems fantastical and like a movie, but given what we know about bannon's stance on the use of disinformation to push a narrative and our proximity to an election... This seems like genuine propaganda efforts on the part of Bannon and Guo.

You’re repeating propaganda originating from Steve bannon 

• Like 1

This doc is claiming masks have zero benefit with respiratory viruses, and that the coronavirus is "dying away" through "herd immunity".  I have a hard time thinking there is anything but a crass motivation, either political, financial, or both at play, but the problem is the appeal to authority:  "hey, he's with Johns Hopkins and studied at Columbia, surely he knows more than YOU do".  Never mind that 1000X the similarly credentialed docs and scientists are in fundamental disagreement with him, now FOX has their expert, and they're going to run with it and kill people.

Dr. Ramin Oskoui

19 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

This doc is claiming masks have zero benefit with respiratory viruses, and that the coronavirus is "dying away" through "herd immunity".  I have a hard time thinking there is anything but a crass motivation, either political, financial, or both at play, but the problem is the appeal to authority:  "hey, he's with Johns Hopkins and studied at Columbia, surely he knows more than YOU do".  Never mind that 1000X the similarly credentialed docs and scientists are in fundamental disagreement with him, now FOX has their expert, and they're going to run with it and kill people.

Dr. Ramin Oskoui

I’m not a doctor, but to say that masks have zero benefit for respiratory viruses just seems silly. 

• Hook 'Em 1

21 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Dr. Ramin Oskoui

"Herd immunity ...  It's herd mentality ..."

a82d152cb8fb052a87fc12f30aea1158.jpg

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

However there already is a way to mitigate it. The non-trump supporter portion of the world is much smarter than it was 100 years ago.

https://www.upi.com/Health_News/2020/09/17/Vitamin-D-deficiency-increases-COVID-19-risk-by-more-than-50/1751600361571/

Everyone should be taking Vitamin D supplements if you can’t get enough sun. It’s cheap and has no side effect. 

48 minutes ago, JimmyJames said:

However there already is a way to mitigate it. The non-trump supporter portion of the world is much smarter than it was 100 years ago.

https://www.upi.com/Health_News/2020/09/17/Vitamin-D-deficiency-increases-COVID-19-risk-by-more-than-50/1751600361571/

Everyone should be taking Vitamin D supplements if you can’t get enough sun. It’s cheap and has no side effect. 

South Austin's mom takes Vitamin D all the time.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 2

51 minutes ago, JimmyJames said:

But also don’t take stupidly high amounts because Joe Rogan told you to take 5,000 IU a day. My brother was doing that and stopped when his kidney started aching from the toxicity.