CR: COVID-19 --Political Talk

Mrs Whiggins

8 hours ago, honolulu horn said:

Just passed 200,000 COVIID deaths in the US. 

That's the equivalent of Salt Lake City, or Frisco TX, or Amarillo. We're well beyond Tempe, or Little Rock, or Knoxville. 

But it’s 1/10th of what could have been if Trump did nothing.... AND he really, REALLY wanted and wants to do absolutely nothing.

You better be thankful.

Why aren’t you thanking him?

Edited by Dnaguy

2 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

Birx's early projections were 100-200k if we did everything perfectly, 1-2M if we did nothing. 

I think he specifically means if Trump himself did nothing. In other words, if he just shut the fuck up and let everyone else do a simulacrum of a normal government response to a pandemic.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 9/18/2020 at 3:54 PM, Anastasis said:

I agree.  Scott Gottlieb was just on CNBC as asked the question.  His perspective was an emergency use authorization for high risk group likely this year with a more broad approval late first half 2021. April may be doable, but optimistic. 

Approval, ok.  330 million doses for every American?  Nah.

• Hook 'Em 1

22 minutes ago, kevwun said:

And hijacking ppe shipments while awarding bids for ppe to cronies who are incapable of fulfilling them.

It blows my mind that we haven't seen any serious reporting about this. We know it happened. We know that a lot of RNC connected guys with literally no experience suddenly ended up with a shitload of PPE to sell for huge markups. Yet we've gotten nothing since then. This is shit people should be executed for, carried out at the direction of the White House, but we've seen nothing from major news outlets.

I think it's this and Brookfield bailing Kushner out of his massive underwater mortgage at his building on 5th Avenue after we out of nowhere supported a Saudi blockade of Qatar that have been the most underreported stories of this administration. Both were massively illegal abuses of vital national resources for the personal enrichment of the President and those close to him and...nothing. We've heard nothing. Obviously nobody is going to run to blab to access whores like Maggie Habermann about these stories, but fuck, none of these people are capable of keeping secrets for long. If the Times or WaPo dedicated some actual resources to reporting these out they'd be huge stories.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, wildcat09 said:

If the Times or WaPo dedicated some actual resources to reporting these out they'd be huge stories.

I disagree. The stories are out there. Those in power (currently) at the DOJ, FBI, and Senate are all protecting them. The illegally appointed acting secretary of DHS has funneled $6m worth of contracts to his wife’s company. That’s a story reported just this morning. My only hope is that adults get put in charge and corruption is actually prosecuted. That shit comes from the top down

28 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Approval, ok.  330 million doses for every American?  Nah.

They are manufacturing at risk. 330MM doses (actually need 660MM), isn't gonna happen by April, but the projects suggest 100MM+ is certainly in play. I think that the cold chain distribution network is the bigger challenge to be honest. 

5 minutes ago, Pig Bellmont said:

I disagree. The stories are out there. Those in power (currently) at the DOJ, FBI, and Senate are all protecting them. The illegally appointed acting secretary of DHS has funneled $6m worth of contracts to his wife’s company. That’s a story reported just this morning. My only hope is that adults get put in charge and corruption is actually prosecuted. That shit comes from the top down

I don't disagree but that's all sort of typical graft that we've seen before and every Republican administration does. The scope and scale have become so much larger under Trump and this is absolutely the shit Republicans would want a Democrat hanged for, but Republicans and centrists don't really care about this type of graft when it's Republicans doing it.

But stealing PPE from hospitals? Using our military to extort a country into paying you a billion dollars? That wouldn't move any of the cultists but what about the "I don't like Trump but I also don't like Democrats and I like tax cuts" Republicans and undecided centrists? My faith in humanity isn't so low that I think it wouldn't move the needle with some of them.

18 minutes ago, Pig Bellmont said:

My only hope is that adults get put in charge and corruption is actually prosecuted.

If this doesn't happen (assuming a Biden win), we might as well have re-elected dotard.  If there is no punishment, there is no deterrent to stop them from doing it again and again and again.  We can't afford to have a Ford pardoning of Nixon.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

The next bar that will be reached in terms of holy shit numbers

Number of total civil war combat deaths: 214,938

This includes both Union and Confederacy combat deaths. 

Since the official count is a substantial undercount, we've almost certainly already passed that.

• Hook 'Em 1

I despise anti-vaxxers and do not believe the insert chips in your body HOWEVER I would be lying if I said I’ll be lining up to get a vaccine that was rushed through with truncated safety trials.

I’m likely to wait a year or so and let some other folks be guinea pigs to make sure there’s no side effects or deadly reactions.

And I don’t imagine I’m alone in that thought.
I do not understand this take from educated people. Being leary of the messenger RNA vaccines is understandable as it is new, but also the future of our vaccination programs.

Otherwise all the other candidates are your basic dead virus 19th century technology vaccines. Are you allergic to eggs or something? Getting my dead virus flu shot today. No difference.

12 minutes ago, DaysOff said:

I do not understand this take from educated people. Being leary of the messenger RNA vaccines is understandable as it is new, but also the future of our vaccination programs.

Otherwise all the other candidates are your basic dead virus 19th century technology vaccines. Are you allergic to eggs or something? Getting my dead virus flu shot today. No difference.

I am not anti-vaxx at all.  I've already had my flu shot this year and have gotten every vaccination recommended for people throughout my life.  I would not line up to be the first person to try out a brand new vaccine though.  Thankfully, there are many others who are willing to be the guinea pig.  There are risks with a hasty vaccine rollout as evidenced by the cases of Guillain-Barré syndrome in the 1970's due to the swine flu vaccine developed then.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1976_swine_flu_outbreak

A coronavirus vaccine (should it be released even sometime in 2021) will be amongst the most quickly developed vaccines in history.  I hope it works.  I'll get it, hopefully after we get some certainty about side effects.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

If we’re going to have a civil war, Kentucky needs to be frontline.  Rand Paul and Mitch McConnell, this is what the people of Kentucky have given America. Fuck that entire state. 

Kentucky: economic dead weight, sucking in dollars from prosperous states, and poisoning the country with "leadership" of two of the worst senators in modern history.  Shit, at this point, Florida is saying "hey man, I know we fuck everything up, but at least we're not Kentucky."

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Look into the rushed Swine Flu vaccine in 1976.

And considering who’s in charge and promising and pushing for this vaccine to be released ASAP?

Yeah, you’re damn right I’m taking a wait and see on this one.

Motherfuckers asked about injecting disinfectant FFS.
  • Hook 'Em 1

I don't disagree but that's all sort of typical graft that we've seen before and every Republican administration does. The scope and scale have become so much larger under Trump and this is absolutely the shit Republicans would want a Democrat hanged for, but Republicans and centrists don't really care about this type of graft when it's Republicans doing it.
But stealing PPE from hospitals? Using our military to extort a country into paying you a billion dollars? That wouldn't move any of the cultists but what about the "I don't like Trump but I also don't like Democrats and I like tax cuts" Republicans and undecided centrists? My faith in humanity isn't so low that I think it wouldn't move the needle with some of them.

It hasn’t and won’t.

Come on out to the ledge. We have Scotch.

7 hours ago, Anastasis said:

They are manufacturing at risk. 330MM doses (actually need 660MM), isn't gonna happen by April, but the projects suggest 100MM+ is certainly in play. I think that the cold chain distribution network is the bigger challenge to be honest. 

Good points.  I stand corrected, as Fauci apparently acknowledged the possibility by April.  https://www.cnbc.com/2020/09/23/coronavirus-vaccine-fauci-tells-congress-it-may-take-time.html

I wonder, though, if that took a bit of arm-twisting.