CR: COVID-19 --Political Talk

Mrs Whiggins

Just now, Brisketexan said:

Yep.  I managed to find the right phrase when visiting with our kids the other night -- "some situations are just to be endured, not to be enjoyed."  There's no going around, over, or under this -- just THROUGH.  We'll get there.  And we'll get there....when we get there.  There IS another side.  So, head down, and carry on.

Sigh.

i realized with my therapist that i think i'm in the anger stage of grief. i'm grieving the loss of a way of life, and i need to remember that others are in other stages of grief, including denial. that at least gives me some semblance of grace.

but i cannot let go of the anger, especially when i read the dt thread or some of the posts on the football board.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, NameAlreadyInUse said:

So my company has for the last several months been giving us weekly updates on our companies various offices, their status as to who can go into the office and who can't, and that has included a date of January 4, which is the earliest that anyone could be required to come back into the office.  They just sent us an update, and our new date is July 15.  I expect that tech companies in the PNW like Amazon and Microsoft have done something similar.  That's more than a year of rent of office space that is basically not going to be used. Looks like the tech companies are starting to figure out that even if a vaccines was approved tomorrow, it's going to be a good long while before we start to get back to normal.  

I keep thinking it didn't have to be this way, and I have to say I'm pretty much frustrated and angry every time I allow myself to dwell on it.  Can't wait for this story line to get completed.  

Yep, my company did the same thing a month or two ago. July 2021 is the reopen date. No one wants the liability, and latest intel says vaccines won't be available to all of US until may/june/july. 

So they're punting until everyone can get the vaccination. 

5 minutes ago, hayden_horn said:

i realized with my therapist that i think i'm in the anger stage of grief. i'm grieving the loss of a way of life, and i need to remember that others are in other stages of grief, including denial. that at least gives me some semblance of grace.

but i cannot let go of the anger, especially when i read the dt thread or some of the posts on the football board.

Oh, you don't have to tell me.  I am dual citizen of the US and "the anger stage of grief."  It's where I do my best work.

3 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

As a side note, my wife is a therapist, and pretty much everyone she talks to is depressed and suffering from pandemic fatigue. 

PSA: Go talk to a therapist. Don't hold that shit in. 

Yep.  There's a baseline of depression that's just woven through everything.  Endure.  Just, endure.

I find myself walking a fine line with my kids about what's going on.  My daughter, a college freshman, is really starting to struggle.  She's frustrated that her boyfriend has started working as an EMT while carrying 9 hours in school, so he's basically off the radar, and she's lonely, with no other close friends.  I've had to drop my "no sleepovers" rule.  Fuck it.  They've been dating for a year, there are some charades I don't need to continue.

My son, a HS junior, is doing fine, but we've given in on one big front -- travelling select soccer.  He wants to play college ball and there are some risks that just must be taken.  No other contact with friends unless its outdoors and distanced.

I've tried to explain that in my time there have been multiple periods in which kids their age (or close) went off to WAR and died.  Life can suck.  Endure.  It still feels kind of hollow, and I find myself (in particular) engaging my daughter about her schoolwork, which she loves, and current events, because she's a big thinker and benefits from the back and forth, but damn, it is a beating trying to hold all this shit together.  And then there's me . . .

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, jimmyjazz said:

I've tried to explain that in my time there have been multiple periods in which kids their age (or close) went off to WAR and died.  Life can suck.  Endure.  It still feels kind of hollow, and I find myself (in particular) engaging my daughter about her schoolwork, which she loves, and current events, because she's a big thinker and benefits from the back and forth, but damn, it is a beating trying to hold all this shit together.  And then there's me . . .

That's definitely some of the reasoning we've used....although it really hasn't helped the medicine go down.

A few generations ago, kids the age of mine had their entire LIVES interrupted by a World War (and that's just the Americans -- it was a lot fucking worse in Europe).  Not for a year, but for 4-6 years (again America or Europe).  And for many, it was a horrific experience, and many didn't come home or came home seriously injured.  So, people have endured a LOT worse.

But in your head, that really doesn't matter.  If you're on the "shitty" side of the ledger, then you're on the shitty side.  "It could be much shittier" just doesn't smooth things over.

And yeah, it's hard trying to hold it all together.  And as men, we often put ourselves LAST in the hierarchy of folks who get tended to.  That's not super-smart, by the way.  But it's a hard habit to break.  To help ME, I've decided to plan a road trip after Xmas.  And it will involve some hiking and maybe XC skiing.  So, I need to get my shape and endurance improved, so I'm consciously focusing on better eating, and hitting the spin bike every day.  A LITTLE bit of "tending to me."  Not a lot, but something.

29 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

As a side note, my wife is a therapist, and pretty much everyone she talks to is depressed and suffering from pandemic fatigue. 

PSA: Go talk to a therapist. Don't hold that shit in. 

Yeah, when I hear Trump complain about being "tired of it," I'm like no shit. We all are.

15 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

That's definitely some of the reasoning we've used....although it really hasn't helped the medicine go down.

A few generations ago, kids the age of mine had their entire LIVES interrupted by a World War (and that's just the Americans -- it was a lot fucking worse in Europe).  Not for a year, but for 4-6 years (again America or Europe).  And for many, it was a horrific experience, and many didn't come home or came home seriously injured.  So, people have endured a LOT worse.

But in your head, that really doesn't matter.  If you're on the "shitty" side of the ledger, then you're on the shitty side.  "It could be much shittier" just doesn't smooth things over.

And yeah, it's hard trying to hold it all together.  And as men, we often put ourselves LAST in the hierarchy of folks who get tended to.  That's not super-smart, by the way.  But it's a hard habit to break.  To help ME, I've decided to plan a road trip after Xmas.  And it will involve some hiking and maybe XC skiing.  So, I need to get my shape and endurance improved, so I'm consciously focusing on better eating, and hitting the spin bike every day.  A LITTLE bit of "tending to me."  Not a lot, but something.

Even before Covid and trump I felt a little guilty that my kids didn’t get to have the world I did growing up in the 80s and 90s. We had no clue how good we had it. 

Now I really feel guilty. Starting in 2001 the world started to get shittier and shittier each year for kids growing up and right now we’re at the nadir. 

1 minute ago, JimmyJames said:

Even before Covid and trump I felt a little guilty that my kids didn’t get to have the world I did growing up in the 80s and 90s. We had no clue how good we had it. 

Now I really feel guilty. Starting in 2001 the world started to get shittier and shittier each year for kids growing up and right now we’re at the nadir. 

Yeah, but by the same token, one of the big things my kids lament is losing their ability to travel (esp. internationally).  Dude, except to see family in Mexico, I didn't travel internationally until well into my late 20s.  So, they had something better than I had, then they lost it.  But it will come back.

2 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Yeah, but by the same token, one of the big things my kids lament is losing their ability to travel (esp. internationally).  Dude, except to see family in Mexico, I didn't travel internationally until well into my late 20s.  So, they had something better than I had, then they lost it.  But it will come back.

I get that but it’s hard to miss something you never had. And if you never have something you want it makes it that much better when you finally get it. 

1 hour ago, jimmyjazz said:

My son, a HS junior, is doing fine, but we've given in on one big front -- travelling select soccer.  He wants to play college ball and there are some risks that just must be taken.  No other contact with friends unless its outdoors and distanced.

Yeah, our kids are doing select soccer.  They are not close to college age, but they (and we) need it as a mental health activity.  The kids wear masks at all times when they are not playing, and parents on the sidelines are virtually 100% mask wearing, with a few noses hanging out here and there.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

Yeah, our kids are doing select soccer.  They are not close to college age, but they (and we) need it as a mental health activity.  The kids wear masks at all times when they are not playing, and parents on the sidelines are virtually 100% mask wearing, with a few noses hanging out here and there.

Austin is better at the masks than San Antonio and (especially) Houston.

• Hook 'Em 1

hey thanks everyone for throwing in your thoughts on that.  My whole family seems to be over it.  My dad got it, and even though he got sick enough for a few days that he didn't care if he lived or died, as long as it was finished, the fact that he eventually recovered seems to have sounded the all clear for my family to basically decide that the all clear whistle has sounded.  Between that and the election where, once again my family is all in on Republicanism, and even my liberal sister is thinking about Trump now because her husband works in oil, and yeah, it's almost like when I was in the closet and was not allowed to get shit out and act like myself around my loved ones.  It's been a shitty year, but it's gotten worse with my one familial ally seemingly on the brink of going red, and no one in my family taking this seriously anymore. 

Also, I can not fucking wait to go hang out at an actual bar again.  I don't have kids so my desires are more selfish than y'alls, gotta admit, but I miss eating out, traveling, bars and live music.  Turns out those are my 4 favorite things to do in life.  Not sure I knew that before this shitshow started.

• Hook 'Em 2

6 minutes ago, NameAlreadyInUse said:

and even my liberal sister is thinking about Trump now because her husband works in oil,

This is one I don't fucking get.

You want to know the ONE THING most essential to getting the oil industry making money again?  The economy recovering enough to increase demand.  The economy will not recover until COVID is sufficiently under control to induce the bulk of the population (not just the "fuck it, it's all fake" crowd) to re-engage in commerce and travel.  If that is your goal, then you damned well know that Trump isn't the answer.  He has no strategy, never has, and never will.

If you'd love to see economic demand to support oil prices above $60 bbl, this one's an easy call.  Sorry for the diversion, but goddamn, the stupidity is just so frustrating. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, NameAlreadyInUse said:

. . . and even my liberal sister is thinking about Trump now because her husband works in oil,

Man, I hear ya'.  I've seen this with a bunch of oilfield types.

The price of oil has absolutely tanked under Trump.  Like, $75/bbl to $20/bbl and now back to $40/bbl (last I checked).  Was it due to external influences?  Absolutely.  Were those influencers in part taking action because of Donald Trump and his hair trigger foreign policy bullshit?  Abso-fucking-lutely.

But sure, Donald is going to save your industry.  Just like coal.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, NAVY said:

The do nothing fed plan might be failing a tad. Ugly winter inbound 

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/us/

638B8545-D00F-4E1C-8161-89034B66C56A.jpeg

The E.U. is a bit ahead of us in this next wave, but as the colder weather kicks in, we're going to be right behind them.  As many of us mentioned at the time, the fact that none of Trump or his infectees ended up dying just emboldened the dumbshits, so we're going to be fucked in a few more weeks. 

Screen_Shot_2020_10_19_at_6.52.37_AM.png

https://www.vox.com/21514530/europe-covid-second-wave-update

have some friends that group vacationed at resort in Cancun last week. They were fed up with stateside restrictions but they’re not MAGA assholes 

Learned this morning that all 8 of them are rona-ed

That’s a nail in the coffin for any travel me and the wife were considering for next spring 

One of my wife's former sorority sisters had been bitching on Facebook for 6 months about schools being closed and having to wear masks when nobody in The Woodlands had it.  Fast forward to last week and her mom dies of Covid after holding a family reunion and OH MY GOD EVERYONE NEEDS TO WEAR A MASK. THIS IS SERIOUS!!!! 

They don't care until it impacts them.

• Hook 'Em 7

Friends I just wanted to drop a little information about myself. Twelve days ago on a Saturday I tested positive for Covid-19. In the past 12 days I have been through hell. This is not the flu. This is a horrible virus and I ask you all to be as vigilant as possible and be careful. I hope no one I know catches this. There were a few days in there that I questioned wether I would survive. I pray for those fighting it and ask each of you to be careful. You do not want this stuff. I tested negative in a rapid this morning. I’ve got a few more days to recover and get back to normal. I finally feel like I’m among the living. God bless you all and I hope this stuff goes away soon.

This was posted by a HS friend on FB. He's been Mr "this is all fake, lib media blowing it out of proportion, live free or die!!!" for months now. Posting pictures of himself and his wife and friends partying it up in large groups in restaurants in SE Tx, etc. Well now all of a sudden it's real.... 

38 minutes ago, NAVY said:

have some friends that group vacationed at resort in Cancun last week. They were fed up with stateside restrictions but they’re not MAGA assholes 

Learned this morning that all 8 of them are rona-ed

That’s a nail in the coffin for any travel me and the wife were considering for next spring 

26 minutes ago, 4th&Five said:

One of my wife's former sorority sisters had been bitching on Facebook for 6 months about schools being closed and having to wear masks when nobody in The Woodlands had it.  Fast forward to last week and her mom dies of Covid after holding a family reunion and OH MY GOD EVERYONE NEEDS TO WEAR A MASK. THIS IS SERIOUS!!!! 

17 minutes ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

This was posted by a HS friend on FB. He's been Mr "this is all fake, lib media blowing it out of proportion, live free or die!!!" for months now. Posting pictures of himself and his wife and friends partying it up in large groups in restaurants in SE Tx, etc. Well now all of a sudden it's real.... 

You guys have a lot of friends that represent the common clay of the new west.

• Hook 'Em 2

37 minutes ago, 4th&Five said:

Wife’s friend, her husband, and kids all do jack shit when it comes to Covid.

Shes a real estate agent and he flys to Denver every week for work and comes back For the weekends.

They just assume with their line of work that they’ll get it. They’re in their 30’s so they’ll likely be fine.

Went to Mexico over the summer. Etc.

Now I like her. She’s super nice. She and her husband are incredibly successful. 
Neither one is particularly smart. But they’ve found their niche and make boatloads of money. Great for them.

However, I feel as if the fact that they’ve never had it ‘hard’ it tough, their overall lack of introspection / true learning, and their echo chamber of a social group just lends them to not think of others or really look at the potential impacts of their actions.

It really burns me when my wife tries to defend her.... especially how hard this whole fucking year has been on her and our family.

Edited by Dnaguy

2 hours ago, washparkhorn said:

Thanks for the regional chart. This is a much better way to look at the trends.  Midwest is shitting all over everything right now. 

5 hours ago, Anastasis said:

So first peak driven by Northeast, second peak by South and West, 3rd by Midwest (with modest contribution from south and west).  

Don't mind us out here in anarchist Washington. We may have started the fire, but we sure as shit didn't let it burn down our state (yet).

On October 21, 2020 at 12:38 PM, JimmyJames said:

We could see it coming. 

George-W-Bush.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1

More COVID tweets:

Topher Spiro tweeted a thread a month or so ago where he discussed the coming fall and what it might look like with a best and worst case scenario. Unfortunately, due to declining mask usage and social distancing plus a general weariness it is looking like the reality is lining up with the models for a not good situation. Spiro also discussed how other countries (such as in Europe) had a bigger respite for their citizens in a sense because they were able to achieve lower case counts over the summer, whereas the US wasn't able to accomplish that.

When covid doesn’t go away after the election, how long does the denial last? This next wave looks super fucking bad. 

Out of curiosity, I hit Fox News. Had to use the search function to find covid coverage. The main article had not been updated since August. Insanity 

1 hour ago, NAVY said:

Out of curiosity, I hit Fox News. Had to use the search function to find covid coverage. The main article had not been updated since August. Insanity 

You ain't seen nothing, I give it 48-72 hours before there is a mysterious changeup in how the national numbers are reported, complete with the WH having total approval of anything that goes out, and them pulling a "the numbers are delayed, because we are actually trying to verify every single case, because you can't trust states run by Democrats!"

https://www.wsj.com/articles/health-agency-scraps-coronavirus-ad-campaign-leaving-santa-claus-in-the-cold-11603630802?mod=hp_lead_pos4

A federal health agency halted a public-service coronavirus advertising campaign funded by $250 million in taxpayer money after it offered a special vaccine deal to an unusual set of essential workers: Santa Claus performers.

As part of the plan, a top Trump administration official wanted the Santa performers to promote the benefits of a Covid-19 vaccination and, in exchange, offered them early vaccine access ahead of the general public, according to audio recordings. Those who perform as Mrs. Claus and elves also would have been included.

The Department of Health and Human Services said Friday the Santa plan would be scrapped. The deal was the brainchild of the official, Michael Caputo, an HHS assistant secretary, who took a 60-day medical leave last month. The rest of the campaign now is under an HHS review.

The Santa “collaboration will not be happening,” and HHS Secretary Alex Azar had no knowledge of Mr. Caputo’s outreach discussions, an HHS spokesman said. Mr. Caputo didn’t respond to requests for comment.

Ric Erwin, chairman of the Fraternal Order of Real Bearded Santas, called the news “extremely disappointing,” adding: “This was our greatest hope for Christmas 2020, and now it looks like it won’t happen.”

The decision comes as the Covid-19 spread continues to accelerate in most states, and the vaccines are unlikely to be broadly available to the public before the holiday season.

The coronavirus ad effort—titled “Covid 19 Public Health and Reopening America Public Service Announcements and Advertising Campaign”—was intended to “defeat despair, inspire hope and achieve national recovery,” according to a work statement reviewed by The Wall Street Journal. It was to include television, radio, online and podcast announcements, starting immediately.

Spoiler

The public-relations blitz began to fizzle after some celebrities, including actor Dennis Quaid, shied away from participating, a former White House official said, amid concerns that the campaign would be viewed as political rather than aiding public health.

In a video posted on Instagram last month, Mr. Quaid said he had interviewed Dr. Anthony Fauci, director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, for the planned public-service announcement. “I am feeling some outrage and a lot of disappointment” about the unpaid PSA, Mr. Quaid said, which was mistakenly viewed by some as an endorsement of President Trump. He added: “Nothing could be further from the truth.”

Mr. Quaid couldn’t be reached to comment.

Mr. Azar has “ordered a strategic review of this public health education campaign that will be led by top public health and communications experts to determine whether the campaign serves important public health purposes,” HHS officials said in a statement.

In a 12-minute phone call in late August, Mr. Caputo told Mr. Erwin of the Santa group that vaccines would likely be approved by mid-November and distributed to front-line workers before Thanksgiving.

“If you and your colleagues are not essential workers, I don’t know what is,” Mr. Caputo said on the call, which was recorded by Mr. Erwin and provided to the Journal. “I cannot wait to tell the president,” Mr. Caputo said at another point about the plan. “He’s going to love this.”

Mr. Erwin said on the call: “Since you would be doing Santa a serious favor, Santa would definitely reciprocate.”

Mr. Caputo said: “I’m in, Santa, if you’re in.”

Mr. Caputo contacted Mr. Erwin after he had testified at an HHS advisory meeting in late August urging early vaccinations for performers portraying Santa, Mrs. Claus and elves. Mr. Caputo told Mr. Erwin on the call that the administration planned to hold regional events with features including “beautiful educational films” to drum up awareness ahead of a coronavirus vaccination drive.

Mr. Caputo said he wanted Santas to appear at rollout events in as many as 35 cities. In exchange, he said the Santas would get an early crack at inoculation.

Mr. Caputo, who had been installed in his job by the White House, said in August that the public health effort would be an edgy media campaign featuring prominent Americans including Surgeon General Jerome Adams.

In September, after the contract award was disclosed on USAspending.gov, Mr. Caputo said in an interview with the Journal that it would focus on a variety of topics including urging minorities to participate in Covid-19 clinical trials. The work statement said “the vast majority of the funds” were expected to be spent between August and January.

The idea had buy-in from top White House advisers. In a coronavirus task force meeting during the summer, senior Trump adviser Jared Kushner discussed how officials would get influencers to do public-service announcements encouraging people to wear masks and social distance, according to the former White House official, who was in attendance.

“Mr. Kushner has had no role in the public relations campaign referenced here,” but helped execute a strategy to educate the public about “critical mitigation techniques,” said White House spokesman Brian Morgenstern. He also said Mr. Trump was never informed of the plan to use Santa performers.

Three Democratic leaders in the House of Representatives last month criticized the campaign, questioning its timing just before a national election. The contract was awarded on Sept. 1.

“We are concerned that the Trump Administration appears to be misusing taxpayer dollars to fund a political propaganda campaign—disguised as a public health effort—just weeks before a presidential election,” wrote Reps. James E. Clyburn (D., S.C.), of the Select Subcommittee on the Coronavirus Crisis, Carolyn B. Maloney (D., N.Y.), of the Committee on Oversight and Reform, and Raja Krishnamoorthi (D., Ill.), of the Subcommittee on Economic and Consumer Policy.

Mark Weber, HHS’s deputy assistant secretary, said the campaign has no political component.

“There is no room for political spin in the messages and materials designed by HHS to help Americans make informed decisions about the prevention and treatment of COVID-19 and flu,” Mr. Weber said in a statement.

Mr. Weber said the campaign is designed to “provide important public health, therapeutic and vaccine information as the country reopens, and give Americans information on the phases of reopening.”

Ben Garthwaite, chief executive of Fors Marsh Group, an Arlington, Va., market-research and communications firm that won the contract, also said the campaign isn’t political in nature. He said the firm has no ads or materials to show at this time.

Mr. Weber said vendors aren’t paid “until products are delivered.”

Without a vaccine, the Santa group’s Mr. Erwin said, he plans to cancel all but one socially distant Christmas booking this year. Mr. Erwin—whose Facebook page includes posts critical of President Trump and his handling of the pandemic—said his members are discussing ways to do their work with virtual visits, plexiglass and photo opportunities with a Santa trapped in a Covid-safe snow globe.

He said nearly 100 Santas had volunteered for the HHS assignment, adding that agency officials had said they would finalize the plan to use the Santas in mid-September.

“They may have been fibbing a little bit to Santa,” Mr. Erwin said.

• Like 1