CR: COVID-19 --Political Talk

Mrs Whiggins

If there was ever a measurement how how stupid the republican base is and how spineless it’s politicians are, this is it. These people are so fucking dumb that GOP governors made policy decisions that will have directly caused the spread of sickness and death simply because doing so got them votes.
I mean, we already knew both of those things, but to see it spelled out so plainly is even more disgusting than I expected it to be. 

Death.
Cult.
  • Hook 'Em 3

Went to see my doctor today and he just casually says “under the democratic plan, they’re not going to give the vaccine to people over 75.”

I said, “hmm, that seems hard to believe, where did you get this information?”

Him: “The TV.”

He then went on to tell me how the election isn’t completely resolved yet and how Obamacare had death panels.

I can’t even. 

• Rage+1 2

I don't know why, considering I use the term "T.V" all the time.

But whenever somebody says they heard/saw something on The "T.V."..........I just know the 15 words before it and the 15 words after that are complete bullshit.  

Same thing with The Radio, The Computer, The Internet.  

But for some reason if they say, "I read in THE newspaper"...I'll listen with an open mind.  

31 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

What, you don't want to watch Ron Johnson talk about HCQ + Zinc and observational data? Cause that is what you are missing. 

In the hearing Dr. Risch directly addressed the rank confusion and misinformation about observational studies and RCT's, ignorance and misunderstanding you're contributing to every time you spout your bullshit about studies.  

To understand the context, usefulness, and applicability of RCT's vs Observational studies, listen to an expert, Yale's Dr. Harvey Risch.

Listen to his elaboration starting at 26:20 to understand how full of shiAnna has been all year:

Edited by triplehorn

Sadly this is page 600 and things have rolled out exactly as I predicted way back in March.  Trump does nothing, says he is doing fantastically, GOP looks the other way, and we bury a lot more folks than necessary.  As I said I believe in June is that the only thing that would change the path of the GOP is a LOT of dead good old boy Republicans.  Sadly that is right around the corner, as the rural areas with older, poorer citizens who have the worst access to healthcare are now white hot with contagion. 

As we pass 250,000 (a number much less than reality) deaths from Covid, things are poised to be in the absolute worst place possible for the winter.  but when you fail to plan... you plan to fail.  

Imagine if we would have gone whole hog on PPE with the defense production act, and we actually TRIED to do even the most minimal of contact tracing at the beginning? Instead the President needed a strong economy, and dead citizens were a distant, distant 4th of 5th on the list.  Many of our citizens are wantonly exposing themselves and other because of political rather than scientific beliefs.  It's going to be horrific, in rural areas, just in time for Christmas.  The cities have a build in disadvantage because of the obvious close quarters, the rural areas are mainly at risk because our President wanted a wedge issue around masks.

• Hook 'Em 2

On 7/21/2020 at 3:47 AM, justhookit said:

Eh,  the problem with this is his #1. I haven’t seen any of the studies showing IFR for kids, but the new .65% number, factoring in asymptomatic and untested cases from the CDC is concerning and I don’t think people readily translate that to real world numbers. It’s lower than the previous estimate and that’s about the only positive thing you can say about it.

Edit- it puts us at right around 250,000 expected deaths from the current assumed cases. If only 40 million have had it we’ve got a long, long way to go. I’m guessing they also are factoring in that we are undercounting deaths already. I don’t think either one of us want to revisit that conversation.

as a betting man, I’ve got IFR ending around .5%

On 7/21/2020 at 10:07 AM, Brisketexan said:

My year-end over-under on deaths has been 240,000.  There's a lotta time between now and January 1....I am really concerned that I bid too low.

Here's where I was on July 21.  Sigh.  I did bid WAY too low.

Just now, Brisketexan said:

Here's where I was on July 21.  Sigh.  I did bid WAY too low.

I think I was at 300K, and that might be too low, too.

I recall the halcyon days when ctj was laughing at my prediction of 50K by some date, and I missed it by a week.  Bless your heart, ctj.

4 minutes ago, horn4life said:

Sadly this is page 600 and things have rolled out exactly as I predicted way back in March.  Trump does nothing, says he is doing fantastically, GOP looks the other way, and we bury a lot more folks than necessary.  As I said I believe in June is that the only thing that would change the path of the GOP is a LOT of dead good old boy Republicans.  Sadly that is right around the corner, as the rural areas with older, poorer citizens who have the worst access to healthcare are now white hot with contagion. 

As we pass 250,000 (a number much less than reality) deaths from Covid, things are poised to be in the absolute worst place possible for the winter.  but when you fail to plan... you plan to fail.  

Imagine if we would have gone whole hog on PPE with the defense production act, and we actually TRIED to do even the most minimal of contact tracing at the beginning? Instead the President needed a strong economy, and dead citizens were a distant, distant 4th of 5th on the list.  Many of our citizens are wantonly exposing themselves and other because of political rather than scientific beliefs.  It's going to be horrific, in rural areas, just in time for Christmas.  The cities have a build in disadvantage because of the obvious close quarters, the rural areas are mainly at risk because our President wanted a wedge issue around masks.

Saw an interview with someone at an Okie City hospital.  He said the ICU's are basically full at this point and the people from rural counties with no mask mandates outnumber everyone 2 to 1.  

22 minutes ago, horn4life said:

Yeah it played out exactly as you thought, but let me ask you this.....did you ever think you would see Gavin Newsom at a maskless dinner party in Napa?!?! God damn you democrats! 

1 minute ago, Dnaguy said:

Good fucking luck with that.

People are going to wholeheartedly ignore this, and a lot more folks are going to be at death’s door when we’re celebrating the birth of sweet, 8 lb 6 oz baby jesus.

Yeah. It's going to accelerate the already rapid spread. We'll be at at least 300k deaths by Thanksgiving.

We're doing an 8 person dinner, 4 from our household and everyone's getting tested beforehand. I still feel irresponsible.

Just now, horncyclist said:

Yeah. It's going to accelerate the already rapid spread. We'll be at at least 300k deaths by Thanksgiving.

We're doing an 8 person dinner, 4 from our household and everyone's getting tested beforehand. I still feel irresponsible.

That’s more than most... and more than us.

I don’t want to go to family thanksgiving. It’s a bad idea.

Wife’s family + us = 10 ppl. Somehow, they’ve convinced themselves that being at or < 10 ppl is some miracle # that prevents COVID.

I raised the issue before (like a 2 months ago and many times after the fact) and told my wife we weren't’ going so just get that out of your head.

This caused massive fights.

She still very much sides with / defers to her dad who happens to be a Trumper.

She is like most if not all republicans which means she is willfully ignorant of the facts on the ground.

She becomes defensive when I question her knowledge of the spiking cases.

She becomes defensive and accuses me of ‘rooting for the virus’ / demanding that we can’t just shut down our economy and lives.

So here we are. 

We’re going to put her parents at risk.

And my family is just as fucking stupid.

My brother is flying in with his kids to be with my parents.

I bring up that this isn’t wise and I’m told to mind my own business from both my parents and my brother.

I’m not in a risky category. My kids are young and not in much risk.

The people who should care, don’t people.

I should and probably would feel terrible if anyone I know dies of COVID.

That being said, I know deep down that they didn’t do enough to stop it. 

In short, they will bear responsibility in their own death.

If they can’t be bothered to help themselves, I guess I can’t be bothered either....

• Hook 'Em 2

In the middle of June I had a conversation with my millionaire car dealer buddy who was trying to tell me that if Florida was going to spike it already would have.  I happen to understand both math and science and in my head I thought we would easily be at 200K by Halloween, I told him "no way were are not over 200K dead by Thanksgiving." I hedged a couple weeks to be certain.

My wife just talked her mother into not having her sister from Houston come in and do Thanksgiving.  It would be a miracle if my MIL and FIL survived a bout with covid.  Best case scenario would be debilitation and off to a nursing home.  I just know that my BIL would be in their house all day not wearing a mask, as well as my SIL.  My wife and I never go in their house without a mask, and I stay about 20 feet away the whole time I am there even with a mask on.  I simply do not want to risk their lives if I can avoid doing so. They will be early in line for the vaccines, but they will need to survive until March or April if what we are hearing about production is accurate.  The good news is the Biden administration will not be completely indifferent to Americans dying at a clip of more than 1000 a day.  They will act, but by the time they get int the drivers seat the car will be completely in the ditch. Sort of exactly like the last time a Republican President handed off the country to and incoming Democrat.  Just once I would love to see a Republican Administration hand off a situation better than the one they inherited. For that matter I would love to see a first time Republican President actually win the popular vote.  So far the GOP is batting .000 on both accounts in the last quarter century.

Edited by horn4life

4 minutes ago, horn4life said:

In the middle of June I had a conversation with my millionaire car dealer buddy who was trying to tell me that if Florida was going to spike it already would have.  I happen to understand both math and science and in my head I thought we would easily be at 200K by Halloween, I told him "no way were are not over 200K dead by Thanksgiving." I hedged a couple weeks to be certain.

My wife just talked her mother into not having her sister from Houston come in and do Thanksgiving.  It would be a miracle if my MIL and FIL survived a bout with covid.  Best case scenario would be debilitation and off to a nursing home.  I just know that my BIL would be in their house all day not wearing a mask, as well as my SIL.  My wife and I never go in their house without a mask, and I stay about 20 feet away the whole time I am there even with a mask on.  I simply do not want to risk their lives if I can avoid doing so.

They will be early in line for the vaccines, but they will need to survive until March or April if what we are hearing about production is accurate.  The good news is the Biden administration will not be completely indifferent to Americans dying at a clip of more than 1000 a day.  They will act, but by the time they get int the drivers seat the car will be completely in the ditch.

Sort of exactly like the last time a Republican President handed off the country to and incoming Democrat.  Just once I would love to see a Republican Administration hand off a situation better than the one they inherited. For that matter I would love to see a first time Republican President actually win the popular vote.  So far the GOP is batting .000 on both this in the last quarter century.

tl;dr version: stupid ass people are going to be the death of us

I would love to see a Republican administration never take office again.

Edited by Bevo14

2 hours ago, Aqua Buddha said:

Saw an interview with someone at an Okie City hospital.  He said the ICU's are basically full at this point and the people from rural counties with no mask mandates outnumber everyone 2 to 1.  

So the Republican voter base? What's the problem with that? Unfortunately, it's Oklahoma so hell will freeze over before the state turns blue. I had the misfortune of working in Tulsa and let me tell you, all these rural Oklahomans want free services, but still want to vote for Trump.

2 hours ago, Dnaguy said:

People are going to wholeheartedly ignore this, and a lot more folks are going to be at death’s door when we’re celebrating the birth of sweet, 8 lb 6 oz baby jesus.

Think of the Christmas savings!  There is a reason I bought crematorium stock in Feb. of this year.  

5 minutes ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

spacer.png

I also like the recliner they make as well.

BTW, Stay Tuned was a solid movie IMO that I feel like no one remembers / saw as I usually get blank stares whenever reference it.

John Ritter was great.

• Hook 'Em 2

23 minutes ago, triplehorn said:

...listen to an expert, Yale's Dr. Harvey Risch.

Listen to his elaboration starting at 26:20...

26:45 starts a long chain of completely illogical nonsense, and it just keeps on from there. His major points in the section that follows are easily recognized as specious rubbish that do not hold together by people who actually understand the things that he is trying to talk about. I'd be happy to break them down point by point, but it would be a waste of time with you, and nobody else here really cares about it tbh.

I know that you like the appeal to authority screen that this guy provides to you because some people might fall for that shit. If you find such logical fallacy compelling, maybe you will also listen to his Yale colleagues who wrote a letter tell him to kindly stfu.  Or maybe we just add them to triple's list of people he thinks are full of shit so he can wallow in his fixed HCQ delusion. I bet I know which path you take...

https://medium.com/@gregggonsalves/statement-from-yale-faculty-on-hydroxychloroquine-and-its-use-in-covid-19-47d0dee7b2b0

We write with grave concern that too many are being distracted by the ardent advocacy of our Yale colleague, Dr. Harvey Risch, to promote the assertion that hydroxychloroquine (HCQ) when given with antibiotics is effective in treating COVID-19, in particular as an early therapeutic intervention for the disease. As his colleagues, we defend the right of Dr. Risch, a respected cancer epidemiologist, to voice his opinions. But he is not an expert in infectious disease epidemiology and he has not been swayed by the body of scientific evidence from rigorously conducted clinical trials, which refute the plausibility of his belief and arguments. Over the last few weeks, all of us have spent considerable time explaining the evidence behind HCQ research, as it applies to early and late stage COVID-19 patients to the scientific community and general public, and now are compelled to detail the evidence in this open letter.

While minority opinions, anecdotal evidence, novel interpretations and challenges to orthodoxies in a field can be important, at some point, the application of the scientific method generating evidence from multiple, well-designed clinical trials and observational studies does matter and should be heard over the noise of conspiracy theories, purported hoaxes, and the views of zealots. 

Ouch. Signature list behind the spoiler tags to avoid the long cat...

Jason Abaluck, PhD

Associate Professor of Economics

Yale School of Management

Amy Bei, PhD

Assistant Professor of Epidemiology (Microbial Diseases)

Yale School of Public Health

Theodore Cohen, MD, DPH

Professor of Epidemiology (Microbial Diseases)

Co-director, Public Health Modeling Concentration

Gary V. Desir, MD

Paul B. Beeson Professor of Medicine

Vice Provost, Faculty Development and Diversity

Chair, Internal Medicine, Yale School of Medicine

Chief, Internal Medicine, Yale New Haven Hospital

Gail D’Onofrio MD

Professor & Chair, Emergency Medicine

Yale School of Medicine

Howard P. Forman, MD, MBA

Professor of Radiology & Public Health (Health Policy)

Yale School of Medicine

Professor in the Practice of Management

Alison Galvani, PhD

Burnett and Stender Families Professor of Epidemiology (Microbial Diseases)

Director of the Center for Infectious Disease Modeling and Analysis (CIDMA)

Gregg Gonsalves, PhD

Associate Professor (Adjunct) and Research Scholar

Yale Law School

Nathan D. Grubaugh, PhD

Roberta Hines, MD

Nicholas M. Greene Professor & Chair of Anesthesiology

Yale School of Medicine

Valerie Horsley, PhD

Associate Professor of Molecular, Cellular & Developmental Biology

Yale University

Akiko Iwasaki, PhD

Waldemar Von Zedtwitz Professor of Immunobiology and Molecular, Cellular and Developmental Biology

Yale School of Medicine

Professor of Molecular Cellular and Developmental Biology

Yale University

Amy Kapczynski, JD

Professor of Law

Yale Law School

Trace Kershaw, PhD

Department Chair and Susan Dwight Bliss Professor of Public Health (Social and Behavioral Sciences)

Albert I. Ko, MD

Professor of Epidemiology and Medicine and Chair of Epidemiology of Microbial Diseases

Stephen R. Latham, JD, PhD

Director, Interdisciplinary Center for Bioethics

Yale University

Brett Lindenbach, PhD

Associate Professor, Microbial Pathogenesis

Yale School of Medicine

Fiona Scott Morton, PhD

Theodore Nierenberg Professor of Economics

Ruslan Medzhitov, PhD

Sterling Professor of Immunobiology

Yale School of Medicine

Saad B. Omer, MBBS MPH PhD FIDSA

Professor of Medicine (Infectious Diseases),Yale School of Medicine

Adjunct Professor, Yale School of Nursing

Susan Dwight Bliss Professor of Epidemiology of Microbial Diseases, Yale School of Public Health

A. David Paltiel, PhD

Professor of Health Policy & Management

Sunil Parikh, MD, MPH

Associate Professor of Epidemiology and Medicine

Yale School of Medicine

Karen Santucci, MD

Professor & Chief, Pediatric Emergency Medicine

Yale School of Medicine

Marcella Nunez Smith, MD, MHS

Associate Professor, General Internal Medicine, Public Health, and Management

Yale School of Medicine

Director, Equity Research and Innovation Center

Daniel Weinberger, PhD

Associate Professor of Epidemiology (Microbial Diseases)

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Dnaguy said:

Speaking of babies...we are not going to see our 6 month old first grandchild whom we've only seen twice because of this shit show. Thanks a lot, orange bag of goo and all the sycophants.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, jw4381 said:

Speaking of babies...we are not going to see our 6 month old first grandchild whom we've only seen twice because of this shit show. Thanks a lot, orange bag of goo and all the sycophants.

Yeah, I’m a little stressed.  We are having my son in laws parents, siblings and grandparents for dinner.  Our (and theirs) first grandkid is a month old, and was 3 weeks early.  My family, including my daughter and her husband have been pretty strictly quarantined since April, because of my daughters pregnancy and they live next door to us so we see each other constantly.  Letting other people into our trust tree is hard. His family insists they’ve been quarantining so they can see the grandbaby.  I’m pretty sure the old folks have.  Not so sure I trust the younger ones.  Oh well.  They have to know if they get somebody sick, my daughter and her husband will disown them.

Edited by Judge Roybeanbag
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Anastasis said:

None of that supports your bullshit that observational studies are not valid or provide evidence of efficacy regularly used to guide treatment, or addresses the real strengths and weaknesses of RCT's under various conditions.  Whether it's studies of infectious disease or heart or liver disease doesn't matter.  It's the underlying statistical math principles that are clearly explained.  Your attack on observational studies in this context with the observed size of treatment effects is reckless and wrong.  get your shit together or shut the fuck up about it.

And the Yale peers aren't talking about observational studies vs RCT's.  The unfortunate letter from other Yale peers was penned Aug 4th.  A lot more has happened in the world since then.  HCQ got thrust outside the medical/scientific arena into politics and mass marketing, so Yale peers stating his views don't reflect the views of Yale Med et al is appropriate.  Dr. McCullough makes the disclaimer that his views aren't representative of Baylor Hospital proper, no letter written.  But the Yale peer letter also parses and gives a now familiar incomplete account:

"In fact, rigorously-conducted clinical trials have found that HCQ is not effective as an early prophylactic therapy in preventing illness due to COVID-19 in people exposed to the virus. Furthermore, HCQ, alone or together with the antibiotic, azithromycin, has not been shown to be effective in improving the clinical status of patients with COVID-19."  

For early outpatient treatment, they refer to one study only (Boulware USA) -for prophylaxis against the presence of virus after an exposure, not to prevent hospitalization and death in infected cases treated early.  The significance of that distinction is huge, and completely lost in in the Yale letter.   That level of misrepresentation and misunderstanding is a giant fucking problem if used to claim early outpatient treatment is ineffective.   HCQ alone or together at that time "has not been shown to be effective in improving clinical status of patients"?  Not progressing to hospitalization and death, truly, is not "improving clinical status".  It's a true statement in a context of study terms.  But it's also a shitty attempt at parsing they're engaging in.  A near 50% reduction in need for hospitalization and resultant death does not mean improving clinical status by comparison in parallel with control, it means (in study terms) that you don't get worse In this case treatment and control have similar clinical pictures for a period, then control crashes and dies, but the treatment group shows no evidence of improving clinical status despite being alive and still able to breathe.  Do you need more explanation, knucklehead?  

We've got multiple effective options for early outpatient treatment - ivermectin is shaping up to be a silver bullet- but at the end of the day the US bodies at the federal level failed to do the studies needed to map it out.  period.  People got blinded or brainwashed while others were gaming to profit by ignoring the reality of these options in favor of vastly more expensive novel therapeutics.

Edited by triplehorn

2 minutes ago, triplehorn said:

None of that supports your bullshit that observational studies are not valid or provide evidence of efficacy regularly used to guide treatment, or addresses the real strengths and weaknesses of RCT's under various conditions.  Whether it's studies of infectious disease or heart or liver disease doesn't matter.  It's the underlying statistical math principles that are clearly explained.  Your attack on observational studies in this context with the observed size of treatment effects is reckless and wrong.  get your shit together or shut the fuck up about it.

LOL.  You are a prime grade A clown. I have never said that observational studies are not valid. I have a pretty good grasp of the strengths and the limitations and the "statistical math principles" involved with observational research. That you have failed to understand the points I have made simply highlights the fact that you do not.  

What a goddamn fuckstick governor fracking is.

SACRAMENTO, Calif. -- California Gov. Gavin Newsom said this week he made a “bad mistake" by attending a friend's birthday dinner during a spike in coronavirus cases and promised to “own it" and move forward. But there was more to the story than he revealed.

Photos obtained by Fox 11 in Los Angeles show the governor in the company of multiple lobbyists and raise questions about how truthful Newsom was in claiming the dinner was outdoors. The images threaten his credibility at a time when he and health officials are pleading with Californians to stay home and not gather with friends and relatives outside their households.

Los Angeles County Health Director Barbara Ferrer, whose county is facing the possibility of a three-week lockdown if cases continue on their current trajectory, called Newsom’s decision to attend the dinner “a big mistake” that she trusts won’t happen again.

Jack Pitney, a professor of politics at Claremont McKenna College, said “in the future when critics of lobbyists make their case, this dinner will be Exhibit A.”

https://abcnews.go.com/Health/wireStory/californias-newsom-hot-seat-dinner-party-74288440

spacer.png

Here's my challenge with Triple's obsession.

I know people working in hospitals right now.  They are demoralized and crushed by the amount of death and suffering they are seeing.  I'm talking life-changing, PTSD shit.  They would do anything -- ANYTHING -- to knock the suffering and death way back.

I am confident that functionally ALL medical professionals are that way.  They would fucking dunk their patients in vats of jello if they had any reason to think it would help.

If HCQ etc. really were the miracle drugs that Triple etc. are promoting......where is the avalanche of treating physicians administering those treatments?

Don't give me big pharma, conspiracies, all that shit.  It's bullshit.  If there are therapies that will save lives, the doctors want to administer them.  They'll go right up against any ethical boundaries, and maybe even cross them slightly, if they can save lives.  

So, why do I think Triple's obsession is bullshit?  Not because I'm any expert at dissecting and understanding studies in medical journals -- I'm not.  Instead, it's because tens of thousands of treating physicians, desperate to save lives, don't share that obsession.  Is that hard scientific reasoning?  Nope.  But it seems like a pretty good go-by in this case.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Oh, and MC....we covered Newsome's hypocrisy several pages ago.  He got low marks around here, across the board.  It's going on his permanent record.

As is the fact that he was once in a relationship with this:

200824-kimberly-guilfoyle-ew-1017p_ebda2

Yeah, I just want to rail some more, and the fact that he even lied about who he was having dinner with just ups it a notch further, imo.

Lulz at the replies to this tweet:

Since I’m a dumbass I’m having trouble figuring out who is arguing what now and who is right. So I won’t weigh in other than to say something I’ve already said.

The darkest day in this country since the civil war is ahead and it’s the day before trump is finally forcibly removed from office.

41 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Oh, and MC....we covered Newsome's hypocrisy several pages ago.  He got low marks around here, across the board.  It's going on his permanent record.

As is the fact that he was once in a relationship with this:

200824-kimberly-guilfoyle-ew-1017p_ebda2

Words of wisdom Lloyd my man. Words. Of. Wisdom.

• Hook 'Em 1

40 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Here's my challenge with Triple's obsession.

I know people working in hospitals right now.  They are demoralized and crushed by the amount of death and suffering they are seeing.  I'm talking life-changing, PTSD shit.  They would do anything -- ANYTHING -- to knock the suffering and death way back.

I am confident that functionally ALL medical professionals are that way.  They would fucking dunk their patients in vats of jello if they had any reason to think it would help.

Everybody was optimistic that HCQ might be the magic bullet, including myself. We can go back and review the posts memorialized here on this thread and others if there is any question. Problem is the initial data was based on bad animal models and much that followed on bad study methodology.  And that is not limited to observational studies.  Medical research during COVID has been a shit show abortion generally speaking.  It's all be hashed and rehashed here and many other places over and over again. 

At the end of the day, we (collective) expended a totally disproportionate amount of resources on chasing HCQ...which distracted from evaluation of other therapeutics (including things like ivermectin and others). That shit pisses me off. That triple continues to spread his disinformation by elevating Ron Fucking Johnson's Senate hearing with disproportionate representation by quacks and mischaracterizing basic and well understood principles of medical science research in favor of conspiracy nonsense and quackery needs to be whacked every time that mole pops up. 

Serious people are pivoting at this point to understanding how we can best implement vaccination programs while the people clamoring about the "biopharmaceutical conspiracy" against HCQ are living in an alternate universe.   

• Hook 'Em 2