CR: COVID-19 --Political Talk

Mrs Whiggins

43 minutes ago, Surly Bevo said:

At that point he was "wrong" because the science would have said there isn't significant enough data here to go "oh my god everybody wear a mask".

Please point out the substantive difference in the science between early March and early April wrt mask wearing.

11 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

Please point out the substantive difference in the science between early March and early April wrt mask wearing.

Early March there were like 30-40 new cases a day in the entire U.S and much of it was in Washington.  With that data you would hit the button?  I mean great I guess but I'm gonna give the guy a pass, ESPECIALLY considering who the fuck he was having to work with.

The  PURE science would say "respiratory viruses are among us all the time, they kill people, you can stop it by wearing a mask." 

I mean if you want to get me on that....then yea you got me, congrats, I was wrong.  

Edited by Surly Bevo
  • Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Surly Bevo said:

The  PURE science would say "respiratory viruses are among us all the time, they kill people, you can stop it by wearing a mask."

"When you are in the middle of an outbreak, wearing a mask might make people feel a little bit better..."

Same Same. 

5 minutes ago, Surly Bevo said:

Early March there were like 30-40 new cases a day in the entire U.S and much of it was in Washington.  With that data you would hit the button? 

I don't know what I would have done as a public facing public health leader in early March.  I know that in late February I was stocking up supplies for a few months of lockdown and hitting buttons on SPY puts. I know that shortly thereafter I was strongly advocating mask wearing including changing my avatar. I don't claim perfect hindsight.  Just pushing back on the hagiography that is based on nothing more than whataboutism. 

• Fuck You 1

It was bad public health messaging.  He downplayed the asian cultural norms that ended up being quite effective at controlling the spread of a respiratory virus.  
"People are listening really closely to this..."
"When you are in the middle of an outbreak, wearing a mask might make people feel a little bit better, it might even block a droplet, but it's not providing perfect protection..."
"Can you get some schmutz in there"
"Of course"
"But when you think of masks you should think of hcps and people that are ill.  When you see pictures with 85% of people wearing masks, thats fine I guess..." 

Brilliant public health messaging when dealing with a respiratory virus, really.  Come right here folks...get your fauci ouchy right here... 

giphy.gif

If anyone needs N95s consider buying from these Texans who started manufacturing them to help get dependence off of China but are now facing backlash and red tape from local and state government. 

https://www.dallasnews.com/news/watchdog/2021/01/22/two-guys-start-a-dfw-mask-factory-but-cant-catch-a-break-forget-made-in-texas-china-always-wins/?outputType=amp

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 2

1 hour ago, Anastasis said:

It's really not debatable. 

Fauci's halo only shines cause of the juxtaposition. 

It really is something how after the trump admin did nothing to combat the virus, and pushed disinformation that intensified the pandemic, you target Fauci as the wrongdoer. You're right, it's not debatable but here you are making ted cruz level intellectually dishonest troll posts anyways. 

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 3

39 minutes ago, Wanker Bob said:

If anyone needs N95s consider buying from these Texans who started manufacturing them to help get dependence off of China but are now facing backlash and red tape from local and state government. 

https://www.dallasnews.com/news/watchdog/2021/01/22/two-guys-start-a-dfw-mask-factory-but-cant-catch-a-break-forget-made-in-texas-china-always-wins/?outputType=amp

Thanks, I just bought a 20-pack.

Been reading the newer variants are more easily communicable and these masks should provide better protection.  Certainly will beat the Target specials I've been rolling with.

6 hours ago, Captainant said:

you target Fauci as the wrongdoer. 

I didn’t target anyone. I responded to a tweet about mask wearing featuring St Fauci the Virus Crusher. Not really sure why he has gotten a pass from you guys and been treated any differently than Birx. 

• Fuck You 1

8 minutes ago, 4th&Five said:

Maybe because of his actual intentions for the last year versus every other fuck face in the Trump administration, including Birx. 

You don’t think that Birx had good intentions?And was doing the best with the information she had available and the context? I am not sure I understand the very disparate treatment they receive. I guess there is only room for so many votive candles. 

• Fuck You 1

2 minutes ago, Walden Ponderer said:

I'm just gonna take a stab in the dark here and guess that even if they're votives, you still insist on burning them at both ends.

It honestly had not come to my attention that such a thing existed, but on a whim hit the googles.  I guess I should not be shocked. And to be completely fair, I searched Birx.  Seems to be a much more constrained supply.

il_794xN.2661758846_iyd4.jpg

deb.jpg?v=1591114920

5 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

It honestly had not come to my attention that such a thing existed, but on a whim hit the googles.  I guess I should not be shocked. And to be completely fair, I searched Birx.  Seems to be a much more constrained supply.

Yes, well, not quite as good as my other favorite votive for an MD, but they are very nice.

Screenshots_2021-01-24-09-14-12.png

deb.jpg?v=1591114920

That’s not her. There’s no scarf.
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Anastasis said:

I didn’t target anyone. I responded to a tweet about mask wearing featuring St Fauci the Virus Crusher. Not really sure why he has gotten a pass from you guys and been treated any differently than Birx. 

Oh come the fuck on. You start with a reasonable position that Fauci's handling of this past year has been far from perfect, but then you just can't help yourself. Birx was out of her depth who either, at best, let herself get censored by the White House or, at worst, acclimated to her role of telling the President what he wanted to hear and telling everyone else what a great job he was doing.

Edited by aggie08
  • Hook 'Em 5

@Anastasis, you obviously think it was a major fuck-up to tell people that masks weren't needed in March. I agree. I (think) I get why he said that, but it was not the right way to convey need for mask prioritization. That said - is the the original sin for you w/ Fauci? Are there other major fuck-ups or is this the one that sticks out?

Maybe a better question would be on a 1-10 scale, how would you personally rate Fauci's overall performance (including the March comment)? I would guess most people would say somewhere between a 7 and a 9, but am genuinely curious about your answer. I would probably say 8 (given his constraints within the admin) which far exceeds the average within the Trump admin. 

46 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

Her public health messaging in that clip is better than Fauci's from a few weeks earlier.  She was asked a fluff question and pivots it ultimately to a discussion of risk stratification, and a call for all Americans to practice social distancing in the context asymptomatic spread. 

• Fuck You 1

16 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

Oh come the fuck on. You start with a reasonable position that Fauci's handling of this past year has been far from perfect, but then you just can't help yourself. Birx was out of her depth who either, at best, let herself get censored by the White House or, at worst, acclimated to her role of telling the President what he wanted to hear and telling everyone else what a great job he was doing.

I wouldn't light a candle for either one of them. 

• Fuck You 1

10 minutes ago, Serak The Preparer said:

@Anastasis, you obviously think it was a major fuck-up to tell people that masks weren't needed in March. I agree. I (think) I get why he said that, but it was not the right way to convey need for mask prioritization. That said - is the the original sin for you w/ Fauci? Are there other major fuck-ups or is this the one that sticks out?

Maybe a better question would be on a 1-10 scale, how would you personally rate Fauci's overall performance (including the March comment)? I would guess most people would say somewhere between a 7 and a 9, but am genuinely curious about your answer. I would probably say 8 (given his constraints within the admin) which far exceeds the average within the Trump admin. 

Are we assigning scores based on a curve, or just straight scoring? I could see 7 with straight scoring. 

Early advocacy for broad travel restrictions and early advocacy for mask wearing would have put him at 9-10, imo.  

• Fuck You 1

11 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

Are we assigning scores based on a curve, or just straight scoring? I could see 7 with straight scoring. 

Early advocacy for broad travel restrictions and early advocacy for mask wearing would have put him at 9-10, imo.  

Thank you. I imagine you understand (and just don't care, which is fine) why it rustles jimmies when you continuously poke the groupthink bear to say "nuh uh, it's a 7 and not a 10") but I do appreciate the answer.

Edited by Serak The Preparer
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, LTbear said:

Anastasis likes to take a contrarian view for shits and giggles. News at 10.

Can I interest you in my etsy store?

I also did one with the guy that figured out how to stabilize the spike protein conformation so that we could pump out a viable vaccine candidate 30 days after sequencing, but it hasn't gotten any takers yet. Nothing really cutesy and topical to rhyme with the name, so I just put "What starts here saves the world" and a profile of the tower on it.  

il_794xN.2772314406_gwgw.jpg

Edited by Anastasis
  • Fuck You 1

Well I wish I could write another diatribe about how help is on the way, how the Biden Administration will be able to right the ship, and there is a light at the end of the tunnel... but...

Unfortunately the specific desire of the Trump administration to mislead the American public, by grossly over exaggerating (lying through teeth) the progress of warp speed, we are officially fucked in the short term. Biden's pick for CDC Director, Rochelle Walensky summed it up pretty well on Fox News Sunday, they simply have no idea about how much vaccine there is available or timelines for availability given the information they inherited (after being stonewalled for months). So like I said in my last very optimistic post, the problems are still the same just exacerbated now.  How does any place that could get you a vaccine plan, when you have no idea on supply?  The situation is a cluster fuck, of purposeful making.

From a practical perspective that means a couple things.  The lies about have second doses held back, is huge!!!  Instead of expanding as everyone expected BECAUSE OF THE TRUMP ADMINISTRATION ASSERTIONS, we are more likely to see a short term contraction in availability of doses.  Without second doses, the immunity is in the 40ish and upward, with the second dose the 95% immunity.  ONLY the second doses are going to get us moving towards herd immunity.  SO the immediate result? A lot of vaccine clinics being cancelled.  I know that for my wife trying to get more clinics scheduled into the smaller group homes in California has gone into a holding pattern. Simply as how can anyone plan without a decent knowledge of the vaccine supply and when it will be available?  I guess the good news is that slowly but surely Walgreens and CVS are working their way through the larger nursing homes (my antidotal impression), but that there needs to be additional hands on deck if we can get the supply issue under control. 

The hospital my daughter works at in New Orleans, is in the same mode as every other potential provider.  Hurry up and wait, the wait and hurry up as the vaccine does or does not show up.  I think in areas where you have a dominant single healthcare provider managing a higher percentage of the areas patients we will see the best management of administering the vaccine.  Simply as they have a database of who is who.   Contrast the State of Texas vaccine registry... where we MUST do the dumbest fucking thing because... well... just got to, ya'll! 

All 50 states maintain such registries. Nearly all of them automatically receive the information from the doctor’s office after a child gets vaccinated, unless the family opts out of sharing it. Texas is one of only four states that do the opposite, providing information to the database only if the family expressly opts in.

The implications are huge. Texas health care providers must collect and process opt-in consent forms for the 90-95% of vaccinated families who agree to send their information to the state, when the more efficient approach would be to gather opt-out forms from the 5-10% of families who do not want to be in the database. One estimate suggested switching to an opt-out system would cut operating costs from $2.64 per child to 29 cents per child.

https://www.statesman.com/story/opinion/editorials/2021/01/22/texas-coronavirus-vaccines-opinion-lege-should-fix-problems-database/6675580002/

After the staff at Austin’s Tarrytown Pharmacy hustled to vaccinate 500 vulnerable Texans and front-line workers over the holidays, pharmacist Rannon Ching logged into an online state system used to track the vaccines.

Then he panicked.

According to the system, his Tarrytown pharmacy hadn’t vaccinated anyone. The numbers on his screen indicated all 500 doses were still sitting on his shelf.

“I freaked out thinking, ‘Oh my gosh, they’re not going to give me any [more] doses because they think I’m not giving anything,’” Ching said.

Texas Tribune - Texas Coronavirus Vaccine Data

In other words even if we had great information on the supply of vaccine, in Texas it will be almost impossible for the state to know who has and had not been vaccinated.  SO again HOW CAN YOU PLAN???  If you don't know what is needed where?  Makes it really hard.  

I wish I was more optimistic right now.  But if the Federal government has not been accurately tracking the vaccine supply chain, it will be extremely difficult to get to a point of accuracy with so many moving parts.  Not enough vaccine is of course the biggest single issue. But the LIES about supply make this even more severe.  Especially the lies about having second doses set aside.  Why on earth the American people would be told a lie about the biggest health crisis ever repeatedly for month after month after month is mind boggling to me.  I expected ridiculous exaggeration from the Trump administration, but not lying so purposefully about something like supply that was going to cause such and additional crisis?

Before I was honestly hoping for May or June to start seeing a real downturn in infection and massive leaps forward in vaccinations.  Right now the Biden administration has no idea how much vaccine there is.  No tool to know who has or has not received  the vaccine.  Not enough of the correct needles to extract the last doses our of the newly relabeled 6 doses per vial Pfizer vaccine. No national vaccination implementation plan... and on and on. They will fix it, but the purposeful withholding of information adds a month to progress timelines on the front end.  Which in my mind equates to a loss of several months on the back end in our vaccination battle. I am PRAYING I am wrong about how long it will take to get control of the actual numbers and future production flow of the vaccines.  I do think that we will likely reach that 100 million doses in 100 days.  But that is less than 1/3 of the population and quite frankly the low hanging fruit of vaccine eligible populations. Big difference in vaccinating in mass clinics and in the remote rural areas where there isn't even a hospital in the county.

The thing that has me optimistic is that the quality of people and the level of honesty going forward will allow for reasonable planning.  And thus increased efficiencies over time.  So as dark as it is now there is a light at the end of the tunnel.  But short term that light in the tunnel might be more of a train.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 3

28 minutes ago, Serak The Preparer said:

Thank you. I imagine you understand (and just don't care, which is fine) why it rustles jimmies when you continuously poke the groupthink bear to say "nuh uh, it's a 7 and not a 10") but I do appreciate the answer.

Hey, leave me out of this.

• Haha 2

10 hours ago, Wanker Bob said:

Thank you for this Bob.  I've got a 20 pack incoming.

https://www.unitedstatesmask.com/

• Hook 'Em 1

14 hours ago, aggie08 said:

It's always fascinating to me how smart people fuck up once, and people use it against them for all eternity, discrediting everything else they ever do because they were wrong that one time. Meanwhile, stupid people get to continue saying stupid shit after stupid shit, and it's never held against them.

There is no mystery about it at all.  The left are reasonable and hold people accountable for their actions.  The right is not reasonable and holds other people accountable for the right's actions.  Look no further than Kevin McCarthy who claimed everyone is responsible for the terrorist attack on the Capitol.    Look at how many right-wing covid deniers were re-elected.  74 million people voted to keep the worst president in American history, who supported a coup and destroyed everything he touched.  We were fortunate that he was distracted with grift and lazy.  

I could be wrong, but I interpreted Fauci's mistake as a calculated political mistake more than a scientific one.  We, as a society, were hoarding toilet paper.  Masks and PPE were woefully undersupplied in our medical community for emergency use.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3

People probably need to lay off Birx a bit.  She didn't deal well with the politics and Trump.  Ok so she didn't do that so well and should take a little criticism for that.  So then she gets in a car with one other lady drives 25K miles across the country evangelizing to any official who would listen to her what needed to happen to help shut this thing down (masks, yada yada yada) Too many of you are guilty of evaluating a fuck up and painting an entire person. their work and their entire existence with said fuck up leaving no margin for error.  She fucked up, she then turned around and did something fairly extraordinary.

This isn't Trump or some of his worst sycophants (looking at you Rudy), doubling, tripling, quadrupling down for weeks/months/years. 

I wonder what your life would look like if viewed through the lens a lot of you guys apply.  

Edited by Surly Bevo
  • Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Anastasis said:

Can I interest you in my etsy store?

I also did one with the guy that figured out how to stabilize the spike protein conformation so that we could pump out a viable vaccine candidate 30 days after sequencing, but it hasn't gotten any takers yet. Nothing really cutesy and topical to rhyme with the name, so I just put "What starts here saves the world" and a profile of the tower on it.  

il_794xN.2772314406_gwgw.jpg

No no, don't try to engage me; I'm really not interested. 

49 minutes ago, Surly Bevo said:

People probably need to lay off Birx a bit.  She didn't deal well with the politics and Trump.  Ok so she didn't do that so well and should take a little criticism for that.  So then she gets in a car with one other lady drives 25K miles across the country evangelizing to any official who would listen to her what needed to happen to help shut this thing down (masks, yada yada yada) Too many of you are guilty of evaluating a fuck up and painting an entire person. their work and their entire existence with said fuck up leaving no margin for error.  She fucked up, she then turned around and did something fairly extraordinary.

This isn't Trump or some of his worst sycophants (looking at you Rudy), doubling, tripling, quadrupling down for weeks/months/years. 

I wonder what your life would look like if viewed through the lens a lot of you guys apply.  

I see what you are saying, and if the comparison is "what about" sycophants like Rudy.. the argument carries considerable weight.

However in Brix' case she gave tacit endorsement to stupidity time and again when standing in front of the biggest microphone.  Does it eliminate the good done from a 25K drive from place to place to push a differing view than the one tacitly endorsed with the megaphone? Certainly not, but you also cannot dismiss the failure to present that same message when the largest megaphone was at her disposal.

Birx ended up in the place a lot of less principled folks found themselves. Where the seduction of power gradually impairs your better judgement, and your compromised actions honestly are NOT near a bad as (insert your whatabout name here)... you continue to tell yourself.  You tell yourself that you are doing your best and trying behind the scenes to push what is right.  But at the megaphone... 

Rightly or wrongly Birx is much more closely associated with Trump's virus stupidity, simply because she chose to allow herself be the preferred medical face of the virus response by Donald Trump.  I think you can point clearly to her lavishly complementing Trump's acumen for understanding the data of the vaccine, and her silence on the bleaching blood as perhaps... just perhaps of instances where she clearly did not speak truth to power.

NOBODY want's to be have their lives judged by singular moments or time periods.  Unfortunately that is often how our lives are defined.  I imagine a lot of guys wish they till had their wives and families if not for that one period where they were sticking their dicks into somebody other than their wife? NOT equivocating that level of betrayal in Brix at all!  Just an example of where one moment of decision making can indeed shape the lens from which a life is viewed?

Edited by horn4life
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

On 1/23/2021 at 6:56 AM, HenryJames said:

This fucking guy.

If anyone should mask, it's Cruz, just to hide that abomination of a beard.

11 hours ago, Wanker Bob said:

Thanks so much.  Wish I would have seen this a week ago.  But I still ordered masks.    

3 hours ago, HenryJames said:

32 minutes ago, Surly Bevo said:

The Fauci and Birx interviews coming out now are incredible.   

That Face the nation interview was deep and she was well spoken, sincere.  You have to remember that Birx is a scientist first, who works in a bureaucracy that spans from administration to administration.  They work to maintain a neutral political stance and up until Trump have worked with administrations that recognize that need for neutrality and respect it.   

Trump admin was different.  Trump is a weasel, and it took both her and Fauci some time to realize he could not be trusted.  Plus the media didn't help by making certain assumptions.   She was a scientist, well respected in her field for decades tossed into the political pit amongst a group that had no compass, moral or otherwise.  Yes she made mistakes, but she's owned up to them, and is paying for them in unimaginable ways.

The SNL skits about her hurt her deeply, and all this has threatened and changed her family.   She said she will be resigning in the next 6 weeks because she has lost so much credibility.  And someone trying to do her job needs credibility.   That's sad for our country.  To lose someone so good at their job because of someone who absolutely sucked at his.

The families, reputations, and lives just decimated by Trump's ego and incompetence will never actually be truly measurable.  His wake is worse than any I could have conceived.  I'll never understand the fascination with him.  Never in 1000 years.  We could have everything he gave us without all the collateral damage.  

It was bad public health messaging.  He downplayed the asian cultural norms that ended up being quite effective at controlling the spread of a respiratory virus.  
"People are listening really closely to this..."
"When you are in the middle of an outbreak, wearing a mask might make people feel a little bit better, it might even block a droplet, but it's not providing perfect protection..."
"Can you get some schmutz in there"
"Of course"
"But when you think of masks you should think of hcps and people that are ill.  When you see pictures with 85% of people wearing masks, thats fine I guess..." 

Brilliant public health messaging when dealing with a respiratory virus, really.  Come right here folks...get your fauci ouchy right here... 

It was. What’s your point?

2 hours ago, Lobo said:

The families, reputations, and lives just decimated by Trump's ego and incompetence will never actually be truly measurable.  His wake is worse than any I could have conceived.  I'll never understand the fascination with him.  Never in 1000 years.  We could have everything he gave us without all the collateral damage.  

I'm not sure a country can catch the nation equivalent of AIDS without collateral damage. That's all he gave us

• Fuck You 2

This is the right move by Biden. Fauci called such travel restrictions draconian a month ago. 

https://news.trust.org/item/20210124190027-ocgou

WASHINGTON, Jan 24 (Reuters) - President Joe Biden will impose a ban on most non-U.S. citizens entering the country who have recently been in South Africa starting Saturday in a bid to contain the spread of a new variant of COVID-19, U.S. public health officials told Reuters.

Biden on Monday is also reimposing an entry ban on nearly all non-U.S. travelers who have been in Brazil, the United Kingdom, Ireland and 26 countries in Europe that allow travel across open borders, said the sources, who requested anonymity because the plans have not yet been made public.

Here is a good snapshot of what Hospitals are facing.  Here is a good article from New Orleans about the hospital my daughter works at. Oschner is the largest healthcare provider in New Orleans. Ochsner cancels more first-dose coronavirus vaccination appointments as distribution slows

Lowlights...

Ochsner Health System said Friday that it will cancel first-dose COVID-19 vaccine appointments in Louisiana scheduled for Tuesday and beyond due to a drop-off in vaccine distributions to the hospital network.

Ochsner said it has administered 86,093 COVID-19 vaccine doses across its facilities as of Thursday, but vaccine dose delivery has declined 70% since the first four weeks of distribution. As a result, the health system is prioritizing second-dose vaccination needs and canceling first-dose appointments in the immediate future.

Ochsner announced Jan. 15 it received zero new doses in its regular shipment that week, complicating the health system’s mass vaccination plan that had more than 100,000 appointments on the books.

This Hospital as I said before has their act together.  But you plan based on the information you are given.  And you are told lies... well here is where you end up...

• Rage+1 1

15 minutes ago, Continental Op said:

Wait a minute are we supposed to be big mad because some gal on Twitter repeated something a six year old said to her?  Anastasis is just a more educated version of workswithseed. Fucking exhausting.

I can only lead you to water.